Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: Led grow lights for my indoor grows

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 28, Views: 546
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mrled
Belmont, NH

November 7, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5763868

Ive been growing with leds for a year now and wanted to know if anyone else uses them.
I have unreal growth from these lights. I am currently growing tomatoes and wheatgrass with some jalapenos and 2 different kinds of lettuce. low wattage and no heat is so great.
Does anyone in here use leds????

Thumbnail by mrled
Click the image for an enlarged view.

twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5764053

No but I'd be very interested in hearing more about your setup and methods.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5764094

I'd like to know more too!
rtl850nomore
Glendale/Parks, AZ

November 8, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5764493

This inquiring mind wants to know more toooooooooo.
Analemma
Cleveland area, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5806138

Do tell! It's so blank-ing dark here in Cleveland, pouring snow, I'd love to have a reason to have some more lights on.

Thumbnail by Analemma

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 19, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5810104

http://www.ledgrowlights.com/products.htm

Looks pricey!
igrowwithleds
Belmont, NH

December 8, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5870054

If you want to know more...

www.sunshine-systems.com

These are the best lights out there. When I first started looking at these lights there were so many factors...
Sunshine delivers beautiful led grow lights...that work...really well.
They offer a great warranty...
Customer service is outstanding...when I first called and asked questions...the owner couldnt have been more helpful.
They have 5 different lights...from 14 watt up to 300 watt.
Contact me @ brad@igrowwithleds.com
:)

Thumbnail by igrowwithleds

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5872286

Yes igrowwithleds, a great system, would love to have one.
I'm looking into buying the blue and red leds and wiring them together.
They come in different angles, 7^ 15^ 30^ Maybe less $$$ I'm not sure
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #5873179

Thanks for posting this--I've been looking at more energy efficient grow lights for starting vegetable seedlings indoors rather than the old school shop lights. I really don't think $159 is too bad at all--I think you'd save that much money in energy costs alone. Might actually be able to hydro-grow tomatoes down here in July + Aug inside where the temp's are better.
Debbie
=)
(whose just found herself a Christmas gift)
kekulpac
Cleveland, OH

December 9, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5874776

Ive been using LED's for about 2 years now. Have one strictly red and a blue and red combo one each post. 46 watts altogether.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5898825

I figure that I could pay for a 12 sq. foot one in 500 years from reduced energy costs,with my annual hours of useage...course that doesn't consider bulb replacement or such!
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

December 17, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5902665

I just got my Sunshine System 45 watt light today! It's a starter, having read this thread.

Indy, the cost of energy is likely to continue to rise, possibly drastically. Even if we attain some systems of alternative energy, conservation will be key. It may not be critical this year or even next, but these are great systems for the future.

I am thrilled to see the progress with LED lighting. I hope to be able to start all my garden plants this year. In Zone 4 the cost of heating a greenhouse is prohibitive. It seems much more effective to grow plants indoors in space that you are already heating, by using supplemental artificial light.

We'll see. I'm excited.
igrowwithleds
Belmont, NH

December 21, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5915156

Hey!! If anyone needs any info just email me. I love leds and answering questions! i re-arranged my entire indoor garden.
My lettuce is a week away from my salad bowl. We tried some last night and it was perfect...and so sweet!!
Im planting basil this week and some rosemary and eggplant.
I just planted an avocado seed and looking forward to watching this progress...ive never grown an avocado...:)
Starting the first of the year...
more tomatoes( the tom plant I have now has over 45 bud site for new tomatoes!)
im actually going to start some corn too...
greenbeans
beats
cukes
Everything im growing has never seen daylight...just the leds!!
For a Christmas present that keeps on giving...LEDS!!! :)
brad@igrowwithleds.com
1-603-290-7626
Have a safe and Happy Holidays everyone!!!
Brad

Thumbnail by igrowwithleds

Josephh
San Francisco, CA

December 28, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5936328

Before you buy any "Grow Light" check the output yourself. You will quickly see that LEDs are worthless for growing any plant that requires moderate or strong light. Notice that "Brad" at igrowwithleds.com posts photos branded with "Sunshine Systems." Sunshine Systems is notorious for posting on websites using fake names. Go to Sunshine Systems website and note their claims about the output of their lights. Then check the output of their lights yourself.
kekulpac
Cleveland, OH

December 28, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5936683

I'd have to disagree with some parts of your post,

I have had good success using blue and red LEDs rather than my previous full spectrum flourescent lights. I bought my bulbs from www.growwithleds.com (not an endorsement or recommendation, simply where I got mine.) I bought two of the R220 red bulbs and two combination red and blue bulbs. (52 watts altogether) I use two cheap, three tier lamps and put one on each side of my plants. The growth and new growth has been much better. Initially more expensive but great and much less on the electric bill in the long run and I can focus the beam of light better. My plants are tropical (Synsepalum Dulcificum and Nepenthes) and are growing well indoor here in Ohio with L.E.D.s Winter here in this part of Ohio is not known for bright sunny days.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5939041

Well Santa did not bring me any LED's this year ^_^
LED's may be great but it would take me years to brake even on electric.
And what if a drop one ? ?
I use daylight fluorescent lights, (not the exp full spectrum fluorescent) in some fixtures I bought at an auction.
Now I'm talking about my Green House. The LED's would be nice inside the home for house plants.
kekulpac
Cleveland, OH

December 29, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5939096

Yep, it's true that it'll take awhile to reap the benefits of energy savings. I run the lights about 12 hours a day and the life expectancy is between 10-12 years. I have dropped them a couple of times, albeit, on to a carpeted floor with no damage I have LED flashlights that the have taken a lot of rough use without failing. The new flourescent bulbs make them much easier to use than the old tubes, don't like the mercury in them, but if they don't break there's not a problem. The low wattage makes the new flourescent bulbs more attractive too.
limbiclady
Lakewood, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #5951850

I also live in the gloomy Cleveland area, and am interested in upgrading my fluorescent light cart growing. I mostly grow tropicals and do a lot of cuttings and plants from seed. I've looked at the HID and high output fluorescent. Now I am wondering how the LEDs compare to HID or high output fluorescent? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. HAPPY 2009
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #5954960

There is something they advertise on TV that you can grow plants in indoors. It has some kind of light in it's top and you water underneath. I can't tell much from the commercial. Some of you may know what it is. What kind of light is it. Is it a hydroponic unit?
kekulpac
Cleveland, OH

January 3, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #5958631

Sounds like it may be the Aero Garden which uses a fluorescent bulb. Neat concept but after paying for the unit and the specific seed pods, it makes for very expensive herbs or cherry tomatoes.

Limbiclady- I don't know if LEDS would work better for your set up. The output depends on the quality of the bulbs and good bulbs are not cheap. I grow about 5 plants under mine and went the LED route because it was easier for me to use instead of hanging a fluorescent unit. If you are doing alot of cuttings, I suspect the flourescent route may be better from an initial cost standpoint without sacrificing light for the plants.

I am hoping like everything else the price of LEDs will eventually drop
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #5958645

That's it.
sjan88
Cathcart, WA

June 24, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8652006

The cost savings are the best part of led grow lights.

Spencer
http://www.superledgrowlights.com
erigeo19ca

May 1, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9105038

Lots of people I have been speaking to have also been having great success with led, I know prices can vary but the amount of growing pottential they give out when weighed upaginst means they should definitely be considered:

http://www.solarkinguk.com/led-lighting
LEDSGG
South Beach, OR

May 7, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9114024

The results are greater with led grow lights from Ledsgrowinggreen.com plus free shipping on kits and sets.
There are about ten different grades of led put into led grow lights. We will be will to answer your questions on leds.
One of the question to ask before buying Leds is to know what the amount of micro mols are for your distance of growing.
http://www.ledsgrowinggreen.com/

Thumbnail by LEDSGG

LobsterPonds
Skyline, MN

June 29, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9186393

Yes, we use them in our aqua-ponic system and yes, they are expensive but well worth it. We've been running ours over winters for about 3 years.

We run aqua-ponics tanks with a double layer of top plants - first one to filter and another to grow leafy greens so we mainly need them on the top plants.

I would like to find some under-water leds so we can see the lobster n shrimp size crayfish we grow as they live mainly on the bottom of the tanks.

The only thing I would recommend when buying LEDS for plants is get the full spectrum lights and the more LEDS- the better.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9278730

I have never used LEDs to grow anything but I have been intrigued for some time. I have read other gardeners say how they are simply not powerfull enough to grow large plants- tomatoes, for ex., on their own and that the technology is not there yet. Well, maybe not reasonably priced I should say but even then I do not know for sure. That said, I went ahead and rolled the dice and ordered two LED light units from Amazon. I intend to start seeds indoors, and grow herbs and lettuce, perhaps. I will post my progress, or lack thereof for all to see!

* from LED Wholesalers- 2501MX Blue/ Red 225 LED 13.8 watt 1' square light- $35.52
* from Sunshine Systems- LED GP14 Growpanel 14 watt 1' square light- $43.87. I believe this is also Blue/ Red light.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 19, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9280009

I notice the reviews are not so good on the LED wholesalers model at Amazon. Let us know how they work!
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9281096

You're right Gloria, the reviews are not so good. My interest was so piqued that I just *had* to find out for myself though, lol. My lights should have been delivered by now so hopefully they will be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I hope all the lights are in working order :)
LEDSGG
South Beach, OR

November 8, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9328356

Here a link to Led grow lights http://www.ledsgrowinggreen.com/store.html They have new Led full spectrum bulbs that are 18 watt and have 660nm,630,610,590,460,UV and IR in them. If your interested his email to write is jsousa@ledsgrowinggreen.com

Thumbnail by LEDSGG

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America