Photo by Melody

Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet: love the sugary!

Communities > Forums > Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet
bookmark
Forum: Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feetReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
11:35 AM

Post #5765624

my favorite grape was the sugary... could not stop eating them... I grow regular cuccs in containers every year... my bush type did not do well for me... but I think that is because my lack of full sun... I just have to think of better support for these next year... a few of my tomatoes got crazy big

Thumbnail by onewish1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #5769386

What a great photo...containers as far as the eye can see! What do you think of those hanging upside-down planters? Is that where you grew your grape tom's? I want to try those next year. I think I'll put flowers in my terra cotta one.

~ jan

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5769659

well I can't make a good call on the upside down planters... they were growing just fine... until I realized I hung them too close to my bird feeders... the birds & squirrels used them for perches and climbing rope... so after that they didn't do well at all... one had the ramapo and the other with a grape... the ramapo put out only a few that the chipmunks took care of... and the grape was too beat up to produce anything

I am going to give them another try next year though ... but put them in a better spot

the bulk of my tomato and cucumber plants were in the homemade self watering planters... I love them... totally worth the $10.00 to make and fill with promix... the plants were bigger and healthier... and way more production ... even though the beefsteaks couldn't keep up with the chipmunk damage... but the grapes and cherries had no problem keeping up with them... think I am going to stick to only those next year

if you could see the pile of rocks behind those two tubs in the photo... you would understand why I use so many containers
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
11:35 AM

Post #5773129

Oooh, I'm sure they thought it was all for them. That's another 'live and learn' lol. Rocks or no rocks, don't you love the planters? It's so much easier than growing in the ground for me. and you saved a ton of money by making the planters yourself.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5775253

and they worked great... it was our first year trying them... and my honey wants to try pumpkins and watermelon in them next year... since we saw how good the others grew in them

so we just have to figure a way to net them off from the critters and better supports

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
inspirational Dutchlady1 6 Nov 9, 2008 10:54 AM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 9, 2008 11:02 AM
great article, gram vossner 1 Nov 9, 2008 11:01 AM
Wonderful article Aunt_A 1 Nov 9, 2008 10:57 AM
tomato containers Spider07 3 May 18, 2010 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America