Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Fall Jacob's Ladder care

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
buttercup99
Waterloo, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5769549

Does Jacob's Ladder need to be cut down before
the snow flies? And if so, how far?
Thanks so much. Buttercup
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 9, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5770647

No, no herbaceous perennials "need" to be cut down before the snow flies or later - no one cuts then down in nature at all; new stems just push up through old ones. (By the way, herbaceous perennials are those that largely die to the ground and go dormant for the winter.)
In a garden setting, it's completely up to the gardener whether to cut off old stems in fall or spring - which is done mainly for aesthetics only. It makes absolutely no difference to the plant whether dead stems are cut off in spring or fall - they're dead either way. Here, where we have thin and intermittent snow cover, I leave everything stand until spring, in order to have something to look at. As well, birds feed on the seeds, and the stems help to catch and hold a bit of snow. Where you are, in a heavy snow area, it may be that your plants get packed down anyway? At any rate, it's completely up to you, and it has no effect on the plant.

edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5794037

I agree.Call it natures mulch.Its easier to locate plants in the spring.If you tidy up to much its difficult to remember where your plants are located.I can remember years ago,I would totally remove all the dead.In the spring when the new shoots came up rabbits ate all my tender new shoots.By leaving some of old dead it protected them.This was true for my purple coneflowers.By leaving the old woody stems,the rabbits did not have easy access to the new growth.
buttercup99
Waterloo, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5796932

Thanks for the help. As my perennial
garden gets bigger, I have lost or misplaced
a few plantings in the spring, that's probably why. Buttercup

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America