Photo by Melody

Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!: Easy is so true!

Communities > Forums > Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!Replies: 4, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5769636

Your fun article brought back memories. When we were young, a brother tucked a grapefruit seed in Mommas' African violet. When it sprouted, she made him 'fess up. She thought that was neat and kept it as a potted houseplant for years. In later years, I found seeds in a grapefruit that were sprouting so I planted them. I now have two trees (in huge pots) that are 7 feet tall. The reason they are only 7' is I have to keep them pruned back. Disappointed to find they have never bloomed or delivered anything but thorns. They are now too huge to move indoors (zone 8a) so they endure the winters here without much damage.

I learned too late that you can nip the wicked thorns off with a nail clipper or pruner. Then, later, I learned right here on DG that the foliage of these grapefruit trees is savored by some of the butterfly caterpillars. Never too old to learn! Thanks for the fun article.
Squanto
Roseburg, OR

November 10, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5774315

Arizona Ted finished drinking his iced tea, filled the styrofoam cup with dirt and pushed in the lemon seed. When the seeding was about 4-inches tall he gave it to me and I continued to pot it up until I bought a house and planted it in the front yard. Within two years it grew into a bushy tree and later had marvelous big, lemons. Only one branch produced the wild fruit (almost as if it was grafted).

Now I'm in Oregon and growing lemon trees from seed, as houseplant gifts for friends and neighbors. Everone loves them. The crushed leaves have a lovely aroma.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5776452

Two nice stories added to the article- thank you both for your contributions!
PatB1944
Winthrop, MA

August 14, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9241238

I have an orange tree about 2 inches tall. It has not grown at all for weeks although it looks healthy. Is it supposed to grow this slowly? I have it in a west window with afternoon sun in citrus/cactus soil and water when it seems dry. Any ideas?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9241720

Sorry, no ideas from me.
I haven't heard of citrus/ cactus soil.. I suppose that is quick draining? When you water, does it run through?

Sometimes when I am baffled by a plant, I take it out to make sure I know what's going on in the root zone. Sometimes I am very surprised with what I find, and it explains the revious mysteries like poor growth.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good phicks 3 Nov 15, 2008 4:29 PM
What fruit to expect of citrus seedlings dpmichael 10 Nov 29, 2008 10:02 PM
citrus seeds bunt 1 Nov 11, 2008 2:45 PM
Citrus seeds jvdl1 2 Nov 11, 2008 2:41 PM
Growing citrus from cuttings allthingschili 7 Dec 29, 2011 6:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America