Photo by Melody

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: Men who Scrap - show yourselves!

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 19, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
7:54 AM

Post #5773007

Yes, they exist! We know Tim Holtz is a scrappin' rockstar with his own awesome line of products! http://timholtz.typepad.com/

And we know DG's very own dp72 here is a guy and a talented cardmaker. I know there have to be more. Come on out of the woodwork, you paper crafting men!

There are three men who post regularly on the Fiskateers boards at http://fiskateers.com All three have their own blogs:

Stefen: http://guyscrappin.blogspot.com/
Don: http://dpelham.wordpress.com/
Calv: http://mishapsinthemaking.blogspot.com/

Calv wrote this on the Fiskateers board in a thread called "Guys scrappin' in a girl's world": The Maddy he speaks of is his girlfriend:

Yes i am indeed a male crafter, thoroughly enjoying my trip through a crafty world that appears at first to be primarily a "girl thing". However i am quickly finding that there are more male crafters than i first thought.

I've dabbled in most crafts at one time or another, and at times also struggle with the whole girly approach to the crafty tools lol. Actualy i'm not that fussed, i just like to have a moan once in a while and assert my manlyness amongst the world of pink!!!

As Maddy says, i've started a list of fellow male crafters on my blog, and have a lot more to add.

I'm also the only guy at the craft club that Maddy runs, but i really enjoy it lol. It's not even scary! Well not always lol.

As for "male orientated craft tools and embellishments, there are a lot out there if you look around, but also if theres something you cannot find, maybe thats an area you could look at changing? Suggest something to a manfacturer.

I sometimes feel there is very little in the way of crafty goodies than can entice young boys and teen boys into the world of crafting. I mean i know it's not exactly a cool thing to be doing at that age, but there are tons of "boy" orientated subjects that could do with being involved more in crafts.

I think the bottom line is that guys need to be secure in themselves not to worry about what anyone else thinks, and as long as you are happy...then just do it!

I was a military policeman in the British Army for 9 years...so this is bit of a change for me lol.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5818068

LOL GW, I think they are hiding!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #5818390

Hmmmmm...

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

detheo
Macomb, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5819254

AWESOME picture!!! rofl...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5882445

gardenwife, this is a great thread. What a good first post with so much to back up your thread! If that doesn't help men to know they can scrap to then I don't know what would! :)
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5933293

I am doing my part to encourage male-crafters. I gave my nephews, now 10 and 12, little scrapbooks last year and a few embellishments, rubber stamps, and let them do some punches here. They did little books and then this year made a great book for their Dad of their family adventures. It was so nice to see their efforts.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5933347

That's great, Cedar. People don't think it odd that men paint or sculpt, so I wonder why some feel paper crafts are not masculine enough. Art is art!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 22, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6035901

Hi there garden wife and all. I actually have a number of friends I visit with regularly with on D G's poultry forum. They are as you know scattered all over. Will never be able to meet them personally, so I suggested to them that if they would send pic's I would create a scrapbook. Do layouts photocopy and then send the pages to them and they in turn could find the cover and insert the pages. This would help to put faces and birds to us. I thought having a face to relate to the names would be fun. I never thought much about whether scrapbooking was a guy or girl thing. I just knew I would like to meet my friends face to face. I'm in my seventies and comfortable in who i am so my maleness doesn't matter. My biggest concern is I don't know a darn thing about scrapbooking and that part is a little over powering. Thought maybe I might get a little help from you good folks? Haystack
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6035946

Great idea Haystack. There are many ways to scrapbook - none right or wrong. First you have to choose a size: common ones are 8 1/2 x 11, 8x8, and 12x12.
Some of us (like ME) love the patterned papers that can match /reinforce/ relate to your theme. In your case, I am sure there are papers with chickens, feathers, rough barn boards, farm buildings, farm scenes, fields of grain, etc. There are also embellishments that can be like paper piecings of chickens, etc. or real things like real feathers, ribbons won.

One common thing to do is to mat your pictures by attaching them to colored cardstock to match / coordinate with your background paper (which can be plain or patterned). You can even double-mat to emphasize your "main" picture on the page. An important element of scrapbooking is journaling -- telling the story of the pictures, however briefly, at least labeling them (perhaps underneath). Also "titles" are a common element. Yours might be just the person's name and /or town and/or their poultry specialty. Or you might title a page or series of pages about a show or get-together.

Just have fun and let your creative side out! Look at some examples on the internet (many scrapbooking sites) but don't get overwhelmed. It can be as simple as you like.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6038309

Hi, Haystack! That sounds like a great idea. I have a DG scrapbook I'm working on bit by bit.

It might make it easier if you get a paper "stack" at the store. It's a large stack of coordinating patterned papers. With a stack, it's a little less traumatic choosing stuff that goes together. LOL Or you could even stay with a basic color scheme of neutral colors or even black and white papers.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 23, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6039272

Cedar 18 and Gardenwife: I would like to thank both of you for responding. I have picked a theme and if you'd indulge me I would like to explain it so maybe your help would be more direct or precise. Forgive me as I am also new on the computer and don't know a lot. My theme is as follows!! One for the money= pic's of husbands, wive's and families along with their birds who raise chickens for selling egg's, chick's etc for money. two for the show= pic's of those who breed and show their birds. three to get ready= pic's of coops, runs. chicken tractors etc and again husbands, wives, kids getting everything for birds they plan on buying, trading, or stealing. LOL. four to go= pic's of those who are going to fair's, Poultry shows or other places, even hatcheries to find birds for sale, or even swap meets. OK now with this in mind, say I find the sheets I want, then lay the pic's out, I agree about the need to journal so everone understands the pic and what its about. but how do I get that on the paper. I think by embellishments you mean like little, chicks, eggs, feathers, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do you glue the pic's and dodadds on the pages and them photocopy or what? I need 12 copies to send to the participants. I so appreciate your help. I told every one this was going to be my Christmas present to them next Dec, So I have given myself some time. THANK GOD. OMG what have I done. Again I thank you so. Haystack.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #6039278

That sounds like a winner. I like how you've thought to organize everything.

For ease of copying your layouts, you might want to consider doing 8.5x11" layouts. However, you might have someone in town who does good 12x12" color copies, so don't rule out the larger layouts. You'll get more on each page of you do 12x12".

I like the adhesives made by 3M Scotch. One I use all the time is 3M Scotch Quick-drying Tacky Glue. I've used on everything from paper to photos to embellishments. It is white, a little thicker than Elmer's School Glue, and dries clear. You need only use a little of it and it dries with a strong permanent bond. This lady's blog has a good review of it: http://theavidscrapper.blogspot.com/2009/01/scotch-quick-dry-adhesive.html

This message was edited Jan 23, 2009 1:04 AM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 23, 2009
6:26 AM

Post #6039299

Gardenwife: WOW Thanks for such a quick response, I was glad you mentioned, or recommended 12x12 as that is what I also was thinking. Thanks also for your patience. Haystack
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #6039325

Well, I'm up late. :) If you have Sir Speedy printing business out in Washington, that's where I get mine done here in Ohio. They have a high quality color copier that does a beautiful job for $1.99 for a 12x19" print. If I'd thought of it ahead of time, I would have brought in some interesting stuff to put on the remaining 7" of glass on the copier so I could fill the whole page on each copy. :)

I tried a large print at a local photo center since they were less expensive, but the copy had banding on it and wasn't nearly the quality of Sir Speedy. It was worth the extra coin to get the beautiful color reproduction and crispness.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6039788

Haystack, your theme is awesome! Sounds like it will make great layouts. And what a nice gift idea for your friends. You can buy neat alphabet sets in different styles, colors, sizes etc that make super titles.

I have never copied any of my layouts so I'll have to let you work that out with Gardenwife's advice and your budget. I used 12x12 pages because I like the size since it holds several pics comfortably.

Re: adhesives. I use EZ Runner by Scrapbook Adhesives & one by Herma (Dotto). It's a cool little ergonomic plastic doohickey that has adhesive dots on a a tape. Easy and quick. Comes in permanent and removable. Also there are boxes of squares or rectangles that are 2 sided adhesive that are very sturdy. Then "Glue Dots" are handy for 3D embellishments or odd things.

Re: Journaling. Some companies make packs of "stickers" that are journaling blocks -- decorated often and with lines for handwriting your journaling. However, I do 90% of mine on the computer. I just type in my 'story' in Microsoft Word, change the margins to fit the space I have available on the layout page, choose a font (Lucida Handwriting is my favorite) from the toolbar at the top of the word processing page. You can make your typesize bigger, smaller etc to meet your needs. Then you can print it out on light colored cardstock or other paper to match your layout, trim it to fit and glue it on.

sounds like fun...
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 24, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6043434

Cedar 18 and Garden wife: I wanted to say thanks to both of you. Both of you have been an inspiration to me. You both have contributed much to my muddled mind. Seriously I have taken much info from both of you and am begining to see something to really enjoy. It probably doesn't amount to much for experienced scrappers like yourselves but you have given me a wealth of info and I do so appreciate both. I will keep both of you in mind and create notable mention in my scrapebook to both of you. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as my journey progress'. Wishing you both a fun filled and prosperous New Year. Haystack
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #6043778

Glad to help! Put one some of your favorite music while you work and sing along. :) I like to listen to podcasts or books on CD sometimes, too.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6044164

Thanks haystack for your kind words. Good luck!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6391069

So, Haystack, how goes your project?
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 31, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #7226026

I'm not a man, but I sometimes feel uncomfortable shopping, so many "girl" things. No offense ladies, I like earth tones, no frills, and I do have the artist blood in my veins, and I love to create; I got it from my Mom. I like to work alone, but I do like to go online to see what is out there, and chat with others. I've only done one baby book and that was for my partner. She has a ton of pictures of her son, but many are in a box. It helped that she had a son, he is a real sweet heart, and computer geek, but all grown up now! I'm much more into sports, digging in the dirt and I always have been. I'm going to do my first wedding scrapbook for my sister, but thankfully they all appreciate my style; guess I'm still a Tom Boy (o; So come on guys, post your work; I know I'd appreciate it

Anyway, I do like looking at everyone's work, and now I have to go and start putting my craft room together, something that will go exists with our cats *G* Gotta also find a way to show my unique rock and petrified wood collection.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
Card Making ggd 28 Apr 17, 2010 7:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America