Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: Botany Quiz: What is stratification?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 44, Views: 893
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

November 10, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5773068

There are a total of 490 votes:

It is when a seed needs to be chipped to germinate
(170 votes, 34%)
Red dot

It is when a seed needs a period of wet weather to germinate
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

It is when a seed needs a period of cold to germinate
(301 votes, 61%)
Red dot

It is when a seed must have light to germinate
(7 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

dmdula
Morganton, NC

November 10, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #5773125

Actually, in stratification, a seed needs to be kept moist AND wet for a period of time in order to germinate. I am in my final few months of horticulture technology program at college and we learned this recently.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 10, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5773251

Big words are always fun!
I believe it's the need to be cold for a period of time.
Lots of perennials will not germinate until frozen for a length of time.
Bernie
bjwilson
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #5773271

Stratification is a combination of both moisture and cold. Chipping can destroy the embryo, scraping can intensify the stratification in artificial circumstances (ie. refrigeration vs direct sowing outdoors). Light has nothing to do with the definition of stratification.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5773434

I think some seeds need freeze/thaw cycles in order to weaken the seed coat in places, allowing water to penetrate for germination. In those cases, "stratification" can involve either periods of cold or careful chipping/scraping, but moisture is also needed at some point. So I think the only factor not involved is light... a lot of seeds need light to germinate of course, but that's a separate consideration from stratification.

Just as a note, seeds that germinate best with stratification are often great candidates for winter sowing!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5773942

the placing of seeds in damp sand or sawdust or peat moss in order to preserve them or promote germination Paul
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5773951

hmm... Paul's response makes me wonder... are "stratification" and "cold stratification" two related but different things?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5773956

Oh, well, I had a 75% chance of getting it wrong and I DID!

This is why apples won't grow down here -- it's not cold enough long enough. If I planted some apple trees and we DID have a real winter (we do, once in a blue moon) would it produce?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5774054

Id say Yes

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5774101

we still don't know the real answer; I don't see it anywhere yet, I mean the OFFICIAL answer.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5774154

Oops ... Looks like I got this one wrong! I had no clue but took a wild guess and voted for chipping. I just LOVE this Garden, I learn something new every single day!

I googled for Seed Stratification and found a definition at Wikipedia.org but for some reason it's not pasting the link to the page I'm reading.

Googling some more, I found this: http://gardenline.usask.ca/misc/seed_str.html and this: http://forestry.about.com/od/treeplanting/qt/stratification.htm

Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5774244

I voted the period of wet because I thought there are different types of stratification and it did not say 'cold' stratification so I didn't pick the one that specifically said cold. I am pretty sure I remember some seeds need a 'warm' stratification but my memory is not always the greatest. ; )

I now realize I am thinking there are different types of stratification because some seeds need 'cold dry stratification' which still means a period of cold. So I guess I was just too busy worrying this was a trick question. I should have gone with my first instict - which was that they need a period of cold. As it seems this is most likely the official answer. : )

This message was edited Nov 10, 2008 12:54 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #5774553

Strictly, none of these . . . stratification is when something (anything, it needn't be seeds) is put down into layers (Latin, stratum: layer, blanket, bed cover). A layer cake is also stratified, and so of course are rock strata and stratus clouds . . .

;-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5774593

Thanks Resin:
I was a geology/science major in college, and have only heard the term used in discussing the layers of earth. I've never heard it used in gardening before. Learn something new everyday. I can't wait to see what the right answer is.
WIB,
SW
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5774927

The maple tree pods or what ever they are. The helicopter thingies need cold stratification.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5774998

The gardening usage derives from forestry usage, where seeds were stored outdoors over winter (to give them their winter chilling requirement) in a large container; a layer of soil, a layer of seeds, a layer of soil, a layer of seeds, a layer of soil, etc. Think in terms of a forestry nursery with 50,000 acorns needing to be stored cold and moist over the winter, before the invention of refrigeration; hence the layers. So the answer expected of us is #3.

Resin
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 10, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5775589

Isn't "cold stratification" redundant?
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 10, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5775598

I thought it was when a seed needs to be chipped or nicked to germinate. Interesting. Critterologist mentioned moisture, too, for this process. I'm thinking about how moon flower seeds need to be nicked and soaked in order to soften up enough to sprout.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5775915

roybird, when the seed needs to be chipped or nicked, the term, I believe, is scarification. It's confusing, but think of it as 'scarring' the seed when you nick it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5776022

The freeze-thaw of cold stratification does essentially produce scarification (the term lacking in my post above -- thanks).
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5776138

Resin:
I sure am glad you all know the terminology, and share the definitions. I can picture perfectly what you mean now.
Thanks. Thanks too, to grampapa for his contribution with scarification. I was wondering what that was called. Now I know. Critterologist is right of course that the expansion and contraction of freezing causes scarification. Just not so familiar with it where I live in So. CA.
Thanks to you all, most educational.
WIB,
SW
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 11, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5776154

Grampapa, that's the word! Scarification. Makes sense. I got scarification and stratification confused. Thanks.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5776165

And if it doesn't grow - scatification. If it does - gratification.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 11, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5776280

Pretty funny! l.o.l.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5776372

Thanks, Victor LOL. a nice break in a rather dry discussion : )
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5777546

If it doesn't grow: DRATification!!

I got this quiz right only because I winter-sow and anyone who does so gets a short course in stratification. But I didn't really know all the details--and I loved Resin's image of all those barrels and barrels of acorns!! Thanks!
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5778038

Well which one works on Passionflower seeds because I always end up with Dratification!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 11, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5778300

3gardeners, LOL!!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 11, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5778509

This is a tricky one. I'm with the helicopter thingies (good one schickenlady :-)). There really isn't a clear answer in the poll is there? Anything that causes 'beautification' works for me.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5778830

Thanks for the laughs Victor and CapeCodGardener. So if it doesn't behave properly does it become a Bratification?
LOL!
WIB
SingingWolf
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5779900

Wikipedia says that when the term is used in horticulture "stratification is the process of pretreating seeds to simulate natural conditions that a seed must endure before germination. Many seed species have what is called an embryonic dormancy and generally speaking will not sprout until this dormancy is broken."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification (follow the botany topic they list) so I'd say that none of the choices presented fit the definition completely.

MollyD

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 7:09 PM

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 7:10 PM
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 12, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5779940

Heh Dave usually puts the answer at the top when its a quiz. I wonder why he didn't do it this time? Maybe he's still voting in the Photo Contest (which is taking me FOREVER because they are all so beautiful sigh).

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 5:21 PM
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 12, 2008
7:54 AM

Post #5781412

I didn't vote, but came here to see what you would all say, because during my horticulture course, stratification was used on seeds to do as MollyD suggests, which for us, involved pouring boiling water over some hard coated seeds and allowing them to soak. We also tried scarification on the same seed type to see which worked better, (by rubbing a spot on the seed with sand paper) so I though Stratification was as mollyD suggests. Thats why I didn't vote, because I didn't see the option I was looking for.
Come on Dave, put us at peace!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5781623

"Scarifying involves scratching, etching, or some sort of superficial cutting or incision. Scarification can be applied to horticulture, which involves cutting the seed coat using acid, sand paper, or a knife to encourage germination,"
This is taken from Wikipedia on Google.

Like grampapa said in post # 5775915, you have the two terms mixed up.

Stratification, taken from Wikipedia,
"In the wild, seed dormancy is usually overcome by the seed spending time in the ground through a winter period and having their hard seed coat softened up by frost and weathering action. By doing so the seed is undergoing a natural form of "cold stratification" or pretreatment. This cold moist period triggers the seed's embryo, its growth and subsequent expansion eventually break through the softened seed coat in its search for sun and nutrients."

Bernie

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 12, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5783172

So I got it wrong...siiiiiiiiiiiiigh
ah well - at least now I know LOL
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5783574

I am with wikipedia and Molly~I think the true answer is simulating it natural weather, which, would in most cases be a cooler period more oftern as opposed to a wet one which is likely to occur at least minimally due to the weather changes in winter, even if it is only condensation. Unless you are a pine cone, then you would need fire, right? lol...
:D

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5784699

The National Tree Seed Laboratory has this pdf about seed biology with reference to different statifications: http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Chapter1.pdf . Seems more to do with the mechanism to break dormancy although I thought stratification included hot/cold and other techniques like smoke treatment was a type of stratification. Resin's explanation makes sense - layered to create an environment to break dormancy. I know Davidia involucrata is double-dormant and requires several months cold, several months warm, several months cold and again warmth to break and germinate. My 2 cents.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5786726

I got it wrong and shouldn't have. Oh Well. Better luck next time.
codysdadone
East Moline, IL

November 14, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5789031

I use cold stratification on my acorns each year to make them sprout when I start them in root pruning trays about the 1st of the year. It usually takes about 90 days for them in the bottom of the fridge. I usually rinse them off in some warm water first so I guess they have enough moisture in them to do the job. They always start sprouting within a week or two.
I have heard of scarification when starting hard seeds such as persimmon and hickory nuts, but have never had the opportunity to try them.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 14, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5791357

Critter you answered my question. Seeds that require stratification should be the best for wintersowing.

Right Now!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5791965

LOL.. here, I don't start winter sowing until February. We often get some "unseasonably" warm weather in January, followed by very low temps... seeds sown now would probably sprout and perish! (but I understand your impatience)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5792005

I use the deep freeze for seeds requiring stratification since we don't have freezes that last more than a few hours...
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
8:28 AM

Post #5793049

I have always called the process that I do with Blue Bonnet seeds, 'torturing them' that is when they are put into water, and frozen, then thawed and re-frozen and then planted...it seems to work with Blue Bonnet seeds they have a very hard seed coat...there was a man, some years ago...who would put seeds for the Blue Bonnets in a cement mixer...I guess that would be scarification...that seems to work too.
webrown
Fitzgerald, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5793309

It is commonly listed as a way to start sweet pea seeds & okra.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5799256

Ding, ding, ding!

What did I win? LOL

KM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America