Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: November Daily Weather - Season Changes Part II

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 248, Views: 1,338
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5773173

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919526/

Drop by often and let us know what's happening in your area. It's cool in my neck of the woods. I'm enjoying it :)

49.1 F / 9 C
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 49 F / 10 C
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 40 F / 5 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m

Kiska's picture

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5773672

Good morning! I was at our church's women's retreat this weekend. We had a great time! I came back refreshed and re-energized (well, after a long nap and going to bed early last night... I didn't sleep very well on that bunk bed!) And it's amazing how much cuter the bunnies are after I've been away for a couple of days!! LOL

It's been raining off and on this morning, and the garden is very grateful. There's a 60% chance of rain the afternoon, and a 70% tomorrow.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CST (4 min ago)
Temperature 68 F 20 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SE 140
Ceiling 4300 ft 1311 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks Pressure rising rapidly.
0.10" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 66.9F / 19.4C
3 hour precipitation ending 8:53am CST : 0.25"

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5773764

Both those pics look very peaceful. Glad you had a good time, Marylyn.

Sharon, I'm glad Gary is doing so well. He has one more treatment?

Rann, we're all behind you. I hope things turn around for your country soon.

What are everyone's plans for the Holidays?

43F with 50 for later today. It's raining now and should continue for most of the day.
Feels like: 43F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↓
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 87%
Visibility: 9 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:09 AM
Sunset: 5:13 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Monty.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5773768

I've never seen a hibiscus like that before. Walmart? $3?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5774130

Sharon, I want your Wal*Mart if they are gonna carry cool plants like that. LOL

It's still cold here though not as bad as yesterday. Cloudy and 43.5*. Windy too.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5774455

Marylyn that's a pretty park! Sounds like you had a really good time at the retreat.
Celia and Pepper - Yeah I was very surprised when I saw the hibiscus. I have to go back to Walmart tonight if you want me to pick one up for you (if there any more). There were about 5 of them left over yesterday. They were $3.86.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5774616

Yes please!!!!! LOL. I would love to have one of those Hibs. If you get one for us, thanks. :~)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5775146

Yes, please!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5775674

I've been so busy this afternoon and just got on-line and missed your responses. I'll swing by at lunch tomorrow to see if they still have some. i'm sure they do. Ohhh, I wish I had checked earlier.

56.8 F / 13.8 C
Clear
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 49. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5775797

Shoot! I lost this thread again!!! It only took me a week to figure it out. :)
It's going to take forever to catch up, now.

Well... we've been having "seasonable" weather the past week or so. Days in the low 70s, nights around 50.
A touch of frost expected tonight, though, with a dip down to the upper 30s, they say.

I hope all have been well while I've been clueless! LOL.
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 11, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5776683

7pm; 26*
Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain and snow.
Lows in the lower to mid 20s. East wind 10 to 20 mph.
Gusts to 30 mph in the evening
Thanks for the new thread,MySharona. Thanks, too, for using the Chugach Sunrise pic; so nice to be able to share. Your wmart prize is beautiful.
Se_eds~so glad you're doing better and that your appetite is good again. Sounds like a wonderful crockpot meal.
rann~ I know your stomach must be in turmoil with stress. So sorry for all that's going on; please keep in mind there are so many here on DG keeping you in our thoughts/prayers.
Deb~keep warm:)
Marylyn~glad you had a nice weekend; always good to be home, though, isn't it>
4:30 pm a few days ago.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5777192

Celia Monty killed the feather duster LOL!
Deb nice to see you! Glad all is well : )
Kiksa Your sky is always so beautiful this time of year with all the pinks and purples.
Rann You are still in our thoughts and prayers here too.

I made some taco soup yesterday. Its sooo good. No one talked during dinner LOL!

59.4 F / 15 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy near the coast. High 70. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph.

Let's play!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5777228

Good morning!

It's a beautiful sunny, fairly calm and rather cold (32F) day here today.

Thanks everyone for your support here ... I wish I wasn't so upset about all this... I just have this sinking feeling that my government is totally blowing things so any chance of salvaging what's left is going out the window. I hate seeing my country crumbling to pieces. Maybe I'll just stay away and be quiet until I get over it ... I hate being such a drag ...

Wonderful photos, I've enjoyed all your posts :-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5777273

Good Morning! Nope! I wasn't lost, just busy. :D Brrrrr...It's a lovely, but Dyson Dark, 24! I have been doing some more job hunting. I have applied for a Lab job at Va Tech in the Wild Life/Fisheries dept. for research on invertebrates (mussels). It pays more than the WV DNR job that I have applied for, which I won't here from for at least 2 more weeks. Not to mention that it's closer to home. :) Poor DH found out night before last that he will be getting a permanent furlough (he had already suspected) in 2 weeks. He has been job hunting as well. JW, is the only thing that's keeping us sane at the moment.
At Dublin...
Clear: 28F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 23
Humidity: 80%
Visibility: NA
Sunrise: 6:59 AM
Sunset: 5:15 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

I am hopelessly behind. :( But I did read a few of the posts.
LOL! Sharon!!! Prissy looks like she is getting ready to torment someone! :-O That's the look JW gets when poor Jack is in the picture! :D JW feeds Jack doggy treats & Jack is very gentle, but sometimes JW chases Jack around the house w/ one of his 'cooking utensils'. LOL!! Jack looks at me as if to say...'Save me!'! LOL It's just pittiful! :D
Celia! LOL!! Monty has the look...like..."Now where did that come from!?"
Kiska, Your aspen-glow is so Majestic! Is that the sun peaking thru the trees? Pretty! :D When will you & Frank be going to Hawaii? You'll need to get the shorts back out! ;D
Marylyn, The lake looks so serene! Glad that your time away was good! :D I know that you missed those little bunnies. I know the saying is true..."Absence makes the heart grow fonder". :) LOL! But it also gives you some much needed relaxation! :D
Deb, I see that you have been MIA as well. LOL! I'm always Clueless!!!! :D
Marsue, If the Amaryllis made it last night, it should make it the rest of the winter! ;) Your Roses! Are Gorgeous! :D
Se_eds, Sorry you have been sick! But I'm so glad that you are recovering well! I'm thankful that your wonderful DH kept you straight! :D I hope that he has a wonderful! Veterans Day! Thank him for me! :D
Rann, I think about you all the time & do hope that times get better for you soon. I thought of you yesterday when I went to get groceries. Food tax here (I shop in VA) is 2.5%. All non-food items (in Va) are around 5%. In WV things are at 6.5%. I need to go back & read the link that you posted. Hang in there honey, we love ya!
Kelli, Love the Floss-Silk blooms! I can't imagine having a tree blooming this time of year! :) And the pitcher plant! Wow!
Sally, Love your "bloopy' sunrise! :D
Ric, Hope that it's warmed up so you can work some more on your new addition! It's looking Great! :D

Well need to get a move on...

Have a Great Veterans Day! And "thank you" to all of the Vet's out there! :D

Joey
(not a good pic, but it's in full bloom now!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5777328

Rann- Absolutely not! Don't stay away. You aren't making us miserable. We're here to support you during the good and bad times. I second Joey - We love you!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5777829

Rann, if you stay away, who will give us such beautiful pictures of your country? Who will give us a tour? You feel like one of the family and families sticks together!

37F with 52 for later today. It is sunny out now but more rain is coming this afternoon. I get to go spend the day with my MIL. She is getting a new furnace, central air and a water heater. She was supposed to get it yesterday but there was a scheduling mistake.
Feels like: 37F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 35
Humidity: 92%
Visibility: 10 miles
Sunrise: 7:10 AM
Sunset: 5:12 PM
UV Index: 2 Low
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 11, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5777997

30~ sunrise in 2 hours at 9am.
Cloudy with a few flurries.
Highs in the lower to mid 30s.
Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph with local gusts to 30 mph.
rann~ please don't stay away~re-read and gain strength from the posts from those here.
Joey~nice to see you again; good luck to you both on the job front. Thank goodness for the little ones to give us joy.
We are going to Hawaii next week; can't wait:))

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5778004

Kiska, do you have a trunk big enough for me to stowaway in?☺
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5778172

Kiska: Love seeing the daily moose! Have a blast in Hawaii! Soak up some sun. :)
Joey: Sorry about the job situation. We have to take mandatory 2 week furloughs, but at least they are spreading the salary deductions over several paychecks. Good luck with your employment search!

Sharon: Prissy does have that look of pure mischief!
Rann: Thinking of you. Don't stay away!

Well, we didn't' get the frost. Only got down to 40, which is just fine with me! Sunny and blu now and 53. Supposed to get up to near 70 later on.
Deb

(Fallen Bradford Pear leaf)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5778390

Cold and drippy.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5779234

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 11, 2008
72 F / 22 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.08 in / 1018 hPa (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 23000 ft / 7010 m
(Above Ground Level

I wanted to get a picture of the Nuttall's woodpecker but it flew away so you get a lesser goldfinch instead.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5779287

Kelli: Not a bad swap, I'd say. :)
Pepper: Sorry you've got cold and drippy. :(
Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5779296

I like the woodpecker because I hardly ever see them and we see the goldfinches every day, but since you don't have either in SC, I guess it doesn't matter much.

They're little guys - smaller than American goldfinches.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5779335

Kelli: Exactly right from my end. Never seen a Lesser G'finch, and the Americans haven't shown up yet. So I love both shots. Definitely looking forward to seeing that WP when you get him, though. :)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5779720

Joey Boo doesnt swat at Prissy, but she will hiss and grumble. Its really funny to watch. Prissy will suddenly stop and look around like la la la la Im not doing anything then starts running circles around Boo again! I bet its cute to watch JW chase Jack. I got tickled reading about it! Good Luck to you and your DH on the job searches.
Celia How did the install go today? Hopefully they showed up.
Kiska The moose are on the move! Do you have another bag that you could stow me in too? LOL!
Deb That is a beautiful leaf!
Kelli - The goldfinch will do just fine. So pretty and so many! I love it!

65.1 F / 18.4 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 3200 ft / 975 m
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft / 1371 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft / 5 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Not as cool. Low 56. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

The air seems to be a little cooler than predicted. Here is a picture of Prissy acting like she isn't playing with Boo. You can almost here her whistling LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5780004

Such a classic show pose! LOL How cute is that? Boo is not fooled.

Well, the installs went very well today. I got there at 10am and they showed up shortly after. They pulled the swamp cooler off the roof and put an attic fan in. Removed and replaced the water heater and furnace. They put in a new central air cooler. Rheems all around! The really neat part was that, since she purchased the furnace and cooler, she got the water heater free! Those things are $1200!!!

The weather held for them which was also nice. Going to rain again tonight.

Kelli, your birdies are cute. All ours are gone. The flickers have moved in and so have the raptors.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5780091

Celia & Pepper - I have something for you! D-Mail me LOL!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
10:49 AM

Post #5781504

We're going to have some Indian Summer for the next couple of days then another cooling trend moves through.

61.8 F / 16.6 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.04 in / 1017.2 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning...then mostly cloudy with scattered showers in the afternoon. High 72. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

I'm so cute :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5781840

ROTF What a character!

Sharon is awesome!!!

Mau, how is Pau today?

43F with 52 for later today. And rain, rain, rain!
Feels like: 37F

Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 75%
Wind: 10 mph ESE
Sunrise: 7:11 AM
Sunset: 5:11 PM

Of course, I'm comfortable. Why do you ask?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5782017

The kitty (and Prissy) photos are wonderful! and, Kelli, the goldfinches are beautiful!

It's soggy here, and likely to get soggier. We've had over 2 inches of rain in the past 24 hours, and it's going to rain some more today. All of the places in town that usually flood are going to flood again between now and Friday. Ugh. Fortunately none of those places are very near our house.

Our good news of the week is about my dh's workplace moving. They've known they needed to move for a while, but have had a hard time finding the right sized warehouse with a big enough office area that was available to buy (rather than lease). They were looking in the same general area of town where they are now (just north of downtown Houston) because it's accessible to everyone and they have employees coming from quite a ways away from different directions, but lately they started branching out to other areas of town. This week they put an offer on a building that is less than 2 miles from our house! Yayy! Charles could walk or ride his bike to work... And come home for lunch. :-) That's basically a pay raise. The owners of the company are in negotiations with the owners of the building right now... We're praying it all goes through.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (10 min ago)
Temperature 64 F 18 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir N 360
Ceiling 400 ft 122 m
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 63.0F / 17.2C
Today Mostly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the morning. Highs around 80. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent in the morning decreasing to 50 percent in the afternoon.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR
THE WEST FORK SAN JACINTO NEAR PORTER.
* THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON...OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELED.
* AT 100 AM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 20.2 FEET.
* MINOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 24.0 FEET.
* FORECAST...THE RIVER WILL SLOWLY RISE ABOVE BANKS BY MID MORNING AND WILL RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE MID AFTERNOON. THE RIVER WILL CREST 24.0 TO 24.5 FEET THIS EVENING. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE BY EARLY FRIDAY.
* AT 24.0 FEET...MINOR LOWLAND FLOODING BEGINS.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5783545

The pets are always amusing. :-)

Marylyn, that's great that your husband's workplace is moving (Lord willing!) Having to drive a long way to work is a major pain. The reason why we live right where we do is because it is close to where we both were working at the time.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 12, 2008
85 F / 29 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s
Pressure: 30.04 in / 1017 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

black phoebe (fee-bee)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5783932

I just saw this.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923025/ Pray for Marilyn (Marsue) and her family.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008 5:36 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5784031

Celia Isis looks a little squished in there!
Marylyn Your rain is heading this way so were putting off the yard sale until next weekend. No complaints we need it. Thats awesome about the location move. I work 5 miles from home. What kind of sunflower is that? Its very pretty : )
Kelli Fee-Bee I had to laughdid you watch Friends? If so do you remember the episode where Rachel introduced Phoebe to her sister? When Phoebe repeated her name Rachels sister asked why Phoebe kept making that sound fee-bee?! It was hysterical!

67.5 F / 19.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Few 700 ft / 213 m
Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft / 518 m
Overcast 4600 ft / 1402 m
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 745 PM...scattered showers in the coastal waters will continue east of Jacksonville Beach...10 miles east of Saint Augustine and 20 to 40 miles east of Vilano Beach. The showers are moving northwest at 15 miles an hour.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 67. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Callie

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5784047

"did you watch Friends"

No, I didn't have a t.v. during that era.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5784071

Marylyn - My heart is breaking :(

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5784084

Mine, too. Too many tears this year.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5784243

So sorry to read the news about Marsue. I will keep her in my thoughts.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5784718

Marilyn you are certainly in our Hearts here.

Ric and Robyn
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5784741

Oh, marsue, I felt that when you gave us that quick post that things were bad for your hubby. Please allow us to support you in this dire time. May God enfold you gently in his arms.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5784823

We're here for you Mau when you need us. :~)

Today was mostly cloudy but not bad temp wise. It was in the mid 50s and felt decent out.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5784844

Marsue, (((HUGS))) You are in our hearts & we LOVE YOU

Joey
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
10:50 AM

Post #5785477

Marilyn Please let us know if we can do anything for you. We are here for you.
Rann- You too : )

66.9 F / 19.4 C
Overcast
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 1.0 miles / 1.6 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 300 ft / 91 m
Overcast 800 ft / 243 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Mostly cloudy with chance of showers in the morning...then partly cloudy with chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 79. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

It rained last night, not sure how much. We uncomfortably warm and humid which will make for a lovely hair day - NOT!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5785858

Hugs and prayers for Marilyn and for Rann, too.

I don't actually know what kind of sunflower was in my photo. It was taken at the Farm we've been to a couple of times this fall. You can pick your own pumpkin (or squash or gourd), or pick a bouquet of fall flowers. We didn't actually do either while we were there (mostly we played on their swings/zip lines/bouncy things (see photo below)/corn maze, etc etc), but Charles took some nice photos while we were there.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:30am CST (9 min ago)
Temperature 61 F 16 C
Dew Point 59 F 15 C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 29.94 in 1014 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling - -
Visibility 0.75 mi 1.2 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 59.0F / 15.0C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5786234

Still keeping you in our thoughts, Marilyn. We know you have much to take care of now but know we're here for you.

Great pic, Sharon.

Marylyn, the girls are cuties! Having such fun.

47F with 57 for later today. 30% chance of more rain but it's lovely out now.
Feels like: 44F

Barometer: 30 in ↓
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:13 AM
Sunset: 5:10 PM

Sunset yesterday.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5786243

They're girls, but they get called boys a lot. It's the short hair. LOL I've tried putting barrettes in their hair, but they don't leave them in for very long. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 13, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5786297

I've just read that Marilyn's husband has passed away.
Marilyn I'm so sorry for your loss; you're in the thoughts of many today.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5786313

I fixed it, Marylyn! I'm a dork. I had to be reminded.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5786635

(((Hugs))) for Marsue. So very sorry about your loss. Just awful. Too many tears today ...

Thank you everyone for your support, you are so kind.

Things are bad here, not for me personally yet, but for my country. The loans they've been working on getting are no where in sight - looks like we're on our own. According to the experts that means we're pretty much doomed ... hope they're wrong. Experts and politicians have been saying for the past two weeks that they can't think of what will happen if the IMF rescue package doesn't come through ... I guess they'll have to start to think of something fast. Looks like the bullies are winning :-( I detest bullies and I really hate when others stand by and do nothing and let them get away with it ... sorry - I'm too angry right now.

Rann

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5786748

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Marylyn...I'm so sorry for your loss.
Rann, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with what's happening in your country. I hope things aren't so bad for you and your family . Try to think positive and keep us posted !
Joey, I hope you get the job you want and your DH finds a better one. Give JW a big hug from me! Great blooms on your Thanksgiving cactus!
Sharon, your pics are great, those babies of yours are the cutest!
Marylyn, the bunnies are having such fun ! I'm so happy for you and DH for the job moving closer to your place!
Kiska, wow, you're going to Hawaii, great! Such fun, it's my life's dream to go to Hawaii and stay under a palm tree, drinking a cold pineapple juice ! Don't forget to take pics with you and DH with those gorgeous hawaiian orchids on you !
Kelli, I love the birdies !
Celia, our birds have gone too !
Deb, such wonderful colors on that leaf!
It's getting a little bit warmer than 33 we had last week, about 35 in the morning, foggy and 53 at noon, sunny.
Meanwhile, my hibiscus are blooming big time inside the greenhouse. This is as seen from outside, my oldest one.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5786758

A closer look from the inside.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5786777

Another red one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 13, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5786782

And my youngest pink.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5786879

Your hibiscus are gorgeous, Adina!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5787020

Those are gorgeous!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5787836

Hugs and prayers for Marsue.

Adina, your hibiscus are beautiful. We have one ordinary red one that came with the house. It's way in the back corner where it's hard to see or even get to.

Death Valley Paiute Indian summer...

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 13, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Wind: 22 mph / 35 km/h / 9.8 m/s from the North
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5787906

Marylyn Thats a great picture of the girls!
Celia That is one beautiful sunset!
Rann You and your country are always in our thoughts and prayers. You know you can come here to vent when you need to.
Adina Your hibiscus are gorgeous!

71.2 F / 21.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 67 F / 19 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 730 PM...scattered brief showers are moving into Fernandina Beach... Arlington...Keystone Heights and Lake Geneva. The showers are moving northeast at 15 to 20 miles an hour.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Patchy fog in the evening. Areas of dense fog after midnight. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Low 67. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Clouds yesterday evening

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2008
10:14 AM

Post #5789352

Good morning!

It's raining this morning, light breeze and 37F.

Loved the kitties and Prissy - so funny :-)

Kelli - 90F in November seems unbelievable to me - is that normal?

More (((Hugs))) for Marsue.

According to last night's news, it looks like things could get solved in the next couple of days. Here's hoping!

Hope you all have a great day

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5789426

Jacksonville had a record high yesterday at 85*. We got to 80*, but it was rainy and humid, even our office felt muggy. I'm getting a late start this morning so I'll keep it breif.

69.1 F / 20.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 4600 ft / 1402 m
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft / 3352 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 83. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

A little lopsided! Our sunset last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5789889

Good morning! It's another grey morning, and I'd like to go back to bed for a few hours. I have stuff to do, though, so I'd better stay up. :-)

I do hope a solution is found for your country quickly, Rann!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (5 min ago)
Temperature 63 F 17 C
Dew Point 62 F 17 C
Humidity 97%
Pressure 29.81 in 1009.5 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir S 180
Ceiling 100 ft 30 m
Visibility 0.75 mi 1.2 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 61.0F / 16.1C

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5790237

Pretty sky, Sharon. Is it taken from the car? I love those kind of shots.

Mau, more hugs coming from Utah. ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

39F with 53 for later today. Skies are clear and it's beautiful.
Feels like: 32F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 13 mph N
Sunrise: 7:14 AM
Sunset: 5:09 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5790826

Sharon and Celia - pretty sky shots :-)

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5790848

Rann, 90F in November is not normal, though it must not be a record, either, since it isn't being reported as such. The hottest place in the country yesterday was Northridge, CA, which is a few miles from here.

Very windy today. The wind roars like a waterfall. No rain in the forecast - not even any clouds in the forecast.

Today
Sunny...very windy. Highs in the mid 80s to lower 90s. Below passes and canyons north to northeast winds to 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph...increasing to 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 60 mph in the afternoon. Strongest in the northwestern San Fernando Valley. (Guess who lives in the NW SFV?)

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on November 14, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h / 7.7 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 31 mph / 50 km/h / 13.9 m/s
Pressure: 29.96 in / 1014 hPa (Steady)

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 14, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5791143

25 Snowing as I post.
Forecast:
Mostly cloudy with patchy morning fog. Light snow likely by late morning. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the 20s. North wind to 15 mph with local gusts to 25 mph.
Marilyn_TX~I know what you mean about , "stuff to do". Been a busy morning and it's nearly noon and there's still more "stuff to be done".
kelli~to hear the wind roaring like that would be unnerving. Have just heard that the fires in Santa Barbara have been devastating. So sorry for all.
rann~hopefully there is something good in the next few days.
MySharona~the thought of 80 sounds a bit like what we'll be having next week while in Hawaii. Can't wait. Your sky is gorgeous.
kwanjin~the clouds there are just beautiful, too.
Yesterday/backyard view.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5791360

Kiska, if the neighbors were having a loud party, that would be unnerving. The sound of the wind doesn't bother me at all. After a while, I hardly notice it until there is a big gust.

Yep, things are bad at Montecito. The last I heard, over 100 houses had burned down.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5791485

Foggy, wet, cold day. Seems strange to have it feel so much like winter when the trees are showing autumn color, or did I just never notice this phase of season before?

Care to all.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5791510

I sure wouldn't know. It's very unDyson here.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 14, 2008
91 F / 33 C
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 33 F / 1 C
Wind: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 28 mph / 44 km/h / 12.3 m/s
Clouds: Clear

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 14, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5791576

kelli~I agree w/loud neighbors; luckily we haven't had any for several years, but when we did, they had a band that practiced into the night.
100 homes gone; very sad indeed.
Dyson~seems very dreary w/ that type of weather; at least the fall color would help to brighten it.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5791648

Celia Yes the picture was taken while I was driving LOL! Your sky has that wow factor.
Rann - Thanks!
Kiska I know youre packing! When do you leave for Hawaii? Which island are you visiting? I love your backyard view!
Kelli I havent heard anything about the fire yet this evening. Are they getting a handle on it or no? Its so sad.
Dyson Sounds like a great day to stay home and nap!

71.4 F / 21.9 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7 km/hfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 F / 21 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4600 ft / 1402 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Increasing cloudiness with a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Low 67. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

I've been around sick people for the last 2 weeks. I think I'm getting it now. Grrrrrrr I loathe being sick. I hate to admit it , but I get whiny...

Take off!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5791776

Sharon, earlier this week I felt like I was getting sick and I took some blueberry leaf and noni fruit supplements and I didn't get sick. So pig out on the antioxidants.

I don't know much about the fire. I don't allow myself to watch t.v. during the day unless it's a day baseball game.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5791820

Thank you all for your beautiful expressions of love and sympathy and for your prayers, most especially. My soul mate and the love of my life has gone on before me and I will miss him deeply--more than words can say. However, I know where he is and he is not feeling any more pain or sorrow. I grieve for myself and not for him because he is definitely in a better place. My faith and the prayers and support of my family and friends are keeping me going. We have planned a wonderful, upbeat celebration of life for Buddy's memorial service. We will all be dressed in bright colors and blue jeans or something casual. Buddy was not a suit and tie man--he hated wearing a suit and tie and the only time he wore one was at weddings.
Please click on this link to sign the guest book--it would mean a lot to me to have you each make a comment. You will love the photo that is there with his obituary. Buddy loved roses and one day when he was in sort of a silly mood he plopped down beside "Miss All American Beauty" and said, "Take a picture of the two buds." That was unusual for him because he didn't like having his picture made.
Here's the link:
http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=210591&fh_id=10544

edited to add: I just discovered that they posted the video we had made for the memorial service on the website too. It shows Buddy with our grandchildren over the years and also a few photos of him with other family, including me and his mother.
God bless you all. I shall return to Dave's Garden in a little while, hopefully.
Hugs,
Marilyn

This message was edited Nov 14, 2008 6:41 PM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5792205

Marsue: I just checked in after missing a couple of days. So sorry to hear about Buddy. As others have said, you are in our thoughts.
Deb
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5792210

Sharon: We are having muggy, warm temps, too. They're saying a cold front is coming
tomorrow, tho.
Celia: Ooo! Cool sky! - twice!
kelli: That wind really doesn't sound very pleasant. Hope there are no more fires!

Rann: So sorry things are not improving there. Makes you wonder if anyone in power
has any common sense! I hope the news about a possible solution is right.
Adina: How nice to have all thos hibiscus blooms at this time of year.

Kiska: Always love your backyard view! Hope you take pics in Hawaii!

As said, warm and humid. High today got to the low 80s. Low last night and expected tonight - 70. Expecting
t-storms tomorrow as some cooler air comes in.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5792223

Such a lovely Tribute to Buddy.
Be well my Friend and find Peace.

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5792506

Another cool grey day here in Pa. We got more rain overnight - which we are thankful for. Mostly clouds and 50 deg today. It is raining now, again, and hopefully will continue overnight. Supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow. LIFE IS GOOD!!.

Deb, glad to hear you are getting much needed moisture. I know it doesn't do your beautiful summer plants any good now, but hopefully will recharge your ground water.

Rann, hold tight and know that you are not alone with your country's financial crisis. We are losing more jobs each day here in the States and the markets do not seem to understand that people who are not working will not buy stuff. Elemental to me - but causing great consternation in the stock markets. Guess we all have to take a deep breath, step back for a moment and figure out what is really important in our lives.

For me it is God and family. And it is a poor hen that cannot scratch for a couple of chicks. (giggle)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #5792517

That was lovely, Mau. Thank you for letting us see it. Such a loving family.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5792606

Well the cool front is moving thru here now.
It started raining about 10 PM.
Nice cool soaking drizzle... perfect or Hot Tubbing!

The current high of 55 is probably the last time we'll see the mid 50's for at least a week.
By late week well be in the lower 40's for a high.

Kiska that's a lovely shot!
Deb I love the Moss!
kwanj those look like serious snow shower clouds!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 15, 2008
7:14 AM

Post #5792974

24*
Marilyn~the tribute was very moving; thank you for the invitation. Thinking of you during this time>
MySharona~we're going directly to Honolulu. Will stay till Thanksgiving Day so will not be doing a dinner this year.
Deb~ I love the scattered leaves in the yard; very pretty. There will be Hawaii pics, too.
It's after 10pm and I'm tracking/watching the flight my grandson/bride are on as they return from honeymoon in Ireland.
It's about 18 hour flight time from Dublin, and they are now 2 hours from Anchorage; Alaska.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008

Post #5793791

Marilyn - That is a lovely tribute to Buddy. Thank you for sharing it with us. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Where did our rain go? No rain, just icky outside and humid.

78.4 F / 25.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 62 F / 16 C
Wind: 6.4 mph / 10.3 km/h / 2.9 m/s from the SW
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph / 12.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 F / 27 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1800 ft / 548 m
Scattered Clouds 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

This Afternoon
Variable cloudiness and breezy with a 30% chance of showers. High 76. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5793818

It's been here for about 13 hours now Sharon.
At least the wind has slowed down.
45 w/ a Wind Chill of 40
No work outside today! LOL!

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5793949

Ric: I suspect that any time is perfect for Hot Tubbing! :)
Celia: What is that pretty yellow flower you posted last night?
Sharon: We got about an inch of rain overnight and a heck of alot of wind. I'd be
willing to bet there's some on the way to you, too.
Not as humid now, but still nice and warm. Very gusty.

About a ton of pinestraw came down last night, too. I was out raking it up
this moring to use for mulch.

Se_eds: Sounds like you're getting some good rain! Though we haven't yet made up
the deficit from the drought, we've actually had "normal" rainfall since Sept., which
had the added benefit of bringing us a little better fall color than usual. So it's all
good!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5793954

35F with 52 for later today. Sunny and beautiful.
Feels like: 29F

Barometer: 30.6 in ↓
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 67%
Wind: 7 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:15 AM
Sunset: 5:08 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5793958

Sorry, Deb, we crossed. It's a rose.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5793974

Good Morning...or what's left of it. :) The temps haven't gone down here yet, but the rain is here! And a really nice rain it is...We have had a 1/2" of rain so far today. We're predicted to have snow flurries tonight, but maybe some 'amount' on Tuesday! :D
At Dublin...
Mostly Cloudy: 59F
Feels like: 59F
Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 57
Humidity: 94%
Wind: 9 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:03 AM
Sunset: 5:12 PM

Marsue, Thanks for sharing Buddy's tribute with us. I watched it twice...a Rose for sure. Hurry back to us soon.
Deb. Love the moss! Is that in your yard?
Adina, What Gorgeous Hibiscus! Plenty of color there to perk you up! :D
Kelli, Will things get cooler for ya? It's sad about the fire damage. :(
Ric, Will you get to work on the outside of you house before winter sets in?
Kiska, Can't wait to here how the honeymoon went! I certainly hope that they took a camera & plan on sharing some of the pics w/ you! ;) (hint-hint)
Sharon, I hope that you aren't getting sick! :-O BTW...How is Gary doing? Did I tell you that my sister requested him to be put on the prayer list at their church? She was Thrilled! at his last test results! (as we all were;)
Celia, I don't know if I have told you (but I may have) that your sky pics are beautiful! I love the clouds!
Se_eds, Where do you get all of those neat sayings? :D BTW .. how are you feeling? Are you back up to par?

HI Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Lowe's I go... :D
Joey

(one more from Halloween)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5793997

I woke up this morning and immediately saw that the lighting outside wasn't right. That meant that there was smoke. There is a fire at Symar, which is a good ways from here but it is upwind from here. The sky is full of smoke up high and it smells like smoke outside. You must think I live in a really wacky climate.

It will get hotter today. It's only 9AM

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on November 15, 2008
84 F / 29 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 6%
Dew Point: 11 F / -12 C
Wind: 21 mph / 33 km/h / 9.3 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 24 mph / 39 km/h / 10.8 m/s
Pressure: 30.07 in / 1018 hPa (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 100 ft / 30 m
(Above Ground Level)

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has continued
a High Wind Warning for the San Fernando Valley. This warning
remains in effect until 2 PM PST this afternoon.

North to northeast winds 20 to 35 mph with local gusts as high as
60 mph are expected through this afternoon... then winds will
decrease to 15 to 30 mph with local gusts to 45 mph throughout
tonight. The strongest wind gusts will occur below the canyons
across the north and northwest portions of the San Fernando
Valley including Sylmar... Porter ranch... Northridge... Granada
Hills and Chatsworth.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5794146

Gosh, Kellu, I do hope the fires don't come your way!
Joey: Yep, there's lost of moss on the north side of our yard. Have fun at Lowe's!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5794421

It's chilly here today! It's a beautiful day, though... bright blue skies, and a brisk breeze. It's going to be in the mid-30s tonight. brrrrr...

Yikes, Kelli! I'll be praying that the fire in Sylmar is gotten under control very quickly. We've all been convinced for quite some time now of the wackiness of your climate. LOL

Have you heard from any of the places you applied at, Joey? Thanks for the JW fix. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CST (39 min ago)
Temperature 58 F 14 C
Dew Point 30 F -1 C
Humidity 35%
Pressure 30.33 in 1027.1 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 31 15 kts
G 27
Wind Dir NNW 330
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 27 kts from 330 (18:51 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 51.1F / 10.6C
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5794607

Cold here. Upper 30s, cloudy and very windy. The wind just cuts right thru you.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5794617

Cold day today - windy, around 32F and a bit of snow on the ground.

Rann
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5794676

It was gray, it rained gently, the sun shone, it got gray, it rained very hard, the sun came back. I'm inside where it is warm and dry! There is a crock pot of chili on the porch - I think the SD is making some corn bread to go with. If not I will cook up some rice.

Do not know the temp outside, it is comfortable here.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 15, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5794684

Marylyn, very beautiful the tribute to Buddy ! You know we are here for you , praying ...my heart goes out to you .
Dyson dark here, about 52, no rain. Still, hibiscus are blooming. Here's an interesting one.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5795133

It looks like they've got the Sylmar fire under control, at least to some degree. I don't see and smell the smoke down here. Now the worst fire is in Corona and Yorba Linda. It's bad. (That is in Orange County and way too far away for me to see from here.)

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 15, 2008
89 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 5%
Dew Point: 10 F / -12 C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 25 mph / 41 km/h / 11.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1015 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 16, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5795370

26 Mostly cloudy with sunset at 4:15; where did the day go?
Snow tapering off this morning. Snow accumulations around 1 inch. Patchy morning fog. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Light winds.
The snow has tapered off.
Music2Keep~JW's always a joy to see here. He'll love snow this year when it comes. The honemooners are back and are coming over to visit tomorrow~
kelli~hope the fires will soon be contained; the Santa Ana's are sure trouble, aren't they.
Marylyn_TX; a brisk cool wind makes it a good day to be indoors.
Dyson~the chili/cornbread sure sounds good.
Adina~your hibiscus blossom photos have been just gorgeous. Very beautiful.
rann~snow sure keeps it brighter; hope it also lifts your spirits a bit to ease the stress. Maybe good news is just around the corner:))
ric~also a good day to be putting off work. The project is looking good.
Deb; not sure what pinestraw is, but at least it can be put to use after being raked. Love the leaf.
kwanjin~that's a beautiful photo. The shade of green is a refreshing color.
pepper~nothing like a cutting wind to spoil being outdoors. Keep warm.
Taken 3 days ago; looks the same now but with a bit more snow to freshen it.

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5795685

Hi all, weather here is cool and gloomy again, but it is bringing welcome rain. We were included in a tornado warning for the SW part of Pa.,NJ and MD. Our temps slid to the mid 60's so not a threat in our neighborhood.

Kiska, do a hula dance for me in Hawaii!! What a hoot - to leave the land of ice and snow for a vacation in Hawaii.

Dyson, the chili and cornbread/rice sounds so good in cool damp weather.

My p=monia has pretty much gone away so I tried to work outside today but kept getting swatted with the outer bands of the severe weather. My Husb said the weather was telling me to take another day off (again). LOL

Supposed to get cold the next few days - well , it IS November. Snow for Tuesday. Guess it is time to start Christmas Shopping on line.

We went to WalMart this AM and they had so much Christmas junk I couldn't even find the birdseed. We did get somewalking around time in - us old folks need that, you know. Spent the rest of the day indoors and watched the wind and rain spread out beautiful golden maple leaves across our lawn, the neighbor's lawn and the place next to that. We share our gold. (giggle)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5795736

My BIL's area is now in the Sayre Fire map here.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sayrefire-googlemap,0,6804603.htmlstory

Click SAT on the map and move the map until the green horse symbol is in the middle.
Where it says Sunland and Tujunga at the left he lives at the "d" in Foothill Blvd between them.
If that makes any sense... LOL!

Patrick Swayze has a small ranch at about the 2 in the 210 symbol.

We didn't get any outside work done today.
Pouring or steady rain and dropping temps all day.
It's 43 (Wind Chill 39) now and clearing up nicely.
Should be about 35 by morning.

Cold has never stopped us in construction Joey.
I'll be doing trim work and roofing tomorrow.
Robyn will be working on the Holiday Decorations.
We are Winter hikers and love the cold.
It just takes longer to do construction when it's bitter cold.
Robyn got the window trim caulked and painted Friday while the weather was still warm.
It may be a while before any more painting is done...
Today we finished beefing up the headers inside.
That took a few hours.
Then we vegged...watched Football, ate dinner and then watched a movie.
We'll probably hit the Tub around 10.
(You're right Deb any time is good hot tubbing weather but temps below 40 are GREAT HT temps)

Adina our new hibiscus is still cranking out the blooms too.
It's finally stopped loosing it's leaves from the move and appears to be growing new buds.

Kiska that's Gorgeous!

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5795855

So he lives near Hansen Dam? We go past that area when we go to the Arboretum and Descanso Gardens.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5795944

If you know where the Von's on Foothill in Tujunga is he's right there.
Maybe 4 miles from Hansen.

We had a trip back in time this week on TV.
Two guys were sitting at the Smoke House in Burbank.
You've never done Sunday Brunch right until you do it there...

41 (Wind Chill 37) and clear...

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5796026

I've never been off the freeway in that area, but I've been through many time and I think that Tujunga is a neat-sounding word. You might already know this, but the -nga in a place name means "place of" in one or more American Indian languages. Thus you have Tujunga, Topanga, Cucamonga, and probably a lot others.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #5796179

Thanks I didn't know that.

Tujunga has a ton of writers and poets,
Try the Shouting Coyote Festival or the Eccentric Moon Poetry Series if you're into Poetry.
Lots of value for the buck on land and homes there too.
It got a lot of bad press in the 60's but is quite tame now.
Plus it's location makes it an easy commute to about anywhere in CA or a beautiful drive to Vegas.

41 (Wind Chill 34) and a bit breezy.
The HT was perfect! LOL!

Ric

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5796983

My goodness, I miss one day and am so far behind LOL!

Deb I really like the moss covered lawn very pretty
Se_eds I got a chuckle from reading that saying.
Celia Beautiful picture of the rose
Kiska - So glad your GS and his bride arrived safely! I know you enjoyed visiting with them last night.
Ric We received very little rain. I finally got tired of waiting for it and watered the veggies and flowers. About 10 minutes later it started raining. Only rained for 30 minutes thats it, and some high winds for a short period of time.
Joey Gary has his last chemo appointment tomorrow. There will be final tests and after that well know if he will need maintenance chemo or will be finished. We are very happy about this. That was so sweet of your sister. Tell her I said Thank you. Weve leaned on God a lot during this trial. I know he heard everyones prayers for Gary. JW is a doll! How are the job searches going for you and your DH?
Kelli I hope the fires stay away from your area. It sounds like it got pretty close at one point.
Dyson Sounds like a nice day for chili! I made some last week and froze the leftovers. Thinking it may be just the thing for lunch.
Adina I like the variegation in the hibiscus
Kiska Look at all that snow! Wow! When the pine trees shed its called pine straw and is used as mulch in a lot of southern lawns.
Se_eds Glad you are feeling better! It seems the stores start selling Christmas earlier each year. I find it annoying.
Ric I hope your BILs area is safe! Thats so scary

50.4 F / 10.2 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 30 F / -1 C
Wind: 5.9 mph / 9.5 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 14.7 mph / 23.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16

Rest of Today
Sunny...cooler. High 61. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Yesterday we made it to 80* before we started getting cooler. Didn't get cold until around 10pm.

Our color change on the way to work.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5797200

Bobby's on the good side (downwind) of the fire.
Plus he's in an area that is pretty retail and sub-division oriented.
Not to say that the Santa Anna's couldn't shift... but it's a pretty straight forward off the desert type wind system.
HOT DRY air at 20-50 MPH... we've driven through it... and as Kelli can tell you it ain't no fun.
We had a 5' Jade Plant in a 24" terra cotta planter go sailing while we were there...

36 (Wind Chill 29) and we saw snow/sleet this morning.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 16, 2008

Post #5797327

Kiska, the picture with the snow is so beautiful!
Kelli, thank God you are far from the fires, I saw on TV how bad they are !
Ric, I hope your BIL wasn't affected . My hibiscus are also like yours, with a few leaves after taking them inside.
Sharon, lovely colors on your way!
Se_eds, great news with your pneumonia, but take care with the cold weather!
Cold here and it's getting colder , they forecasted snow next week...brrr!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5797385

40F with 59 for later today. Sunny and nice. Darrell is going to mow the lawn one last time before it gets snowy again.
Feels like: 35F

Dewpoint: 27
Humidity: 59%
Wind: 7 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:16 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5798650

I'm behind again.

Rann, the picture of the woman waiting for the bank to open was heartbreaking. I sure wish things would turn around. Please vent to us. It's not good for your health to worry alone.

Joey, I hope DH finds a job. Plants around here are laying people off too.

Marsue, I'm so sorry. (((HUGS)))

So much sadness going on, but lovely pictures of flowers and skies.

40*, windy, cloudy and chilly. Feels good to be in!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5798710

20 degrees cooler here today than it was yesterday. Frost warning tonight; freeze tomorrow. :(
I was pretty lazy today, but did get a little more raking done.

Everyone stay warm and dry! (Except for Kelli and anyone in the path of those Calif. fires. For you guys, I send soggy wishes!)
Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5798762

It smells like smoke in the house - but at least I have a house.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on November 16, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 22 F / -6 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the ENE
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1016 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
(Above Ground Level)

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5799030

Scary reports from CA. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your life's work to hurricanes , tornadoes or fires. Yet we sometimes have severe windstorms through out valleys. We have been lucky so far.

Another day of 42 deg. with cloudy weather, wind and a few snow flurries. Guess it is almost time to hang it up for this year. Yes, I am making myself stay inside. But, I need to hang the bird feeders.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5799045

Darrell got the back mowed but the front looks like a jungle! LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5799122

Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers.
Highs in the 20s.
North to northeast winds 10 to 20 mph.
Thanks for the good wishes/trip. We leave Thursday and should encounter about 60 increase in temp. Can't imagine it's going to be more than 80 degrees in the winter.
se_eds~better get that additional day of rest; might make a big difference.
Deb~thanks for the reminder; I'd forgotten how pine trees shed their needles. My mother made a basket from them. (she lived in Calif)>
kelli~I just read online that 1000 homes have been lost; so hard to think of that many homeless in one area; just glad to know you're ok.
MySharona~love the roadway view; and, the good news of Gary is great. Grandson/wife had a wonderful time in Dublin and would go back any time.
Adina~the daisys look so nice; keep warm>
ric~glad your BIL is ok, too.
kwanjin~Magpie? Looks right at home.
bp~know what you mean; indoors, most of the time now, suits me.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5799389

Still 36 (Wind Chill 29) and probably will stay that way thru the night.

We did manage to get the new roofing on the FPR today.
First we had to blow off 6" of leaves and then suck up the water.
The Sun broke thru and w/w the 20 MPH winds it dried up pretty quickly.
The first sunny day I'll get up there and finish gluing it down.

kwanj I didn't know you had Magpies out there.
I always thought they were futher west.
Cool birds!!

Kiska I guess that WILL be a pretty big temp swing!
Hope you don't get the vapors... LOL!

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
5:51 AM

Post #5799875

32F tonight with plenty of lake effect snow and more expected through tomorrow. We have only a few inches here but a few miles north they already have a foot. The 10 day forecast shows daily snow or rain and not a peek of sunshine until a week from next Tuesday. After a day of 60 temps and sun last Friday (a great day for what looks like my last long bike ride of the year) it looks like it's all downhill from here.

It's hard enough keeping up with you guys after missing just a day or 2 but I haven't posted anything in 2 weeks so I'm hopelessly behind!

Kiska...It's starting to look a bit like Alaska here...no mountains though.

Kelli...It looks pretty scary out there. Hopefully the winds will die down and they will be able to get things under control. A few inches of this snow we're getting would do the trick!

Sharona...Hopefully this treatment will be the last!

Ric...Cold weather can turn easy jobs into real chores.

Photo: Saturday was cold, dark and wet until late evening when the sun broke through for a few minutes. There was a big rainbow and the light was fantastic!

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
5:53 AM

Post #5799879

I stopped to photograph these Amish horses last Friday while biking.

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
5:55 AM

Post #5799883

Snow...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
6:01 AM

Post #5799889

The backyard rainbow...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #5799896

And finally, my grandson is almost 4 months old and already driving!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
6:19 AM

Post #5799909

Marsue...I'm so saddened to learn of your loss. Buddy's love for his family shines through in the memorial video. May God bless and comfort you and your family.

early_bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5800230

Adina Pretty daisies, they always make me smile!
Celia I didnt know you had magpies either. We have them, very pretty and so protective of their space :)
Kelli I am saddened by the news of the fires. Were praying the firefighters get them under control soon.
Celia I stopped mowing my lawn 3 weeks ago. All I do now is trim the hedges and winterize the lawn.
Kiska Love the snow covered everything! Did you make that blue lantern?
E_B Great pictures! E_B 3rd is adorable! The snow with the colored windows is just gorgeous.

43.7 F / 6 C
Clear
Windchill: 44 F / 7 C
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 32 F / -0 C
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)

Frost advisory in effect until 8 am EST this morning...
Freeze watch in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning...

Today
Mostly sunny. High 65. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Well, brrrrrr! It's a tad chilly this morning LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5800270

Rann - Did you know that the Today show is in your neck of the woods? They're talking about the glaciers. I'm hoping they will talk about the issues Iceland is going through.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5800452

It's chilly here, too, although I'm feeling MUCH warmer after seeing E_B's snow photo! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (58 min ago)
Temperature 38 F 3 C
Dew Point 35 F 2 C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.40 in 1029.4 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 37.9F / 3.3C

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008

Post #5801022

Yes, we have magpies. They don't come around the house too often and Monty likes to stalk them when they do. One will watch him while he watches the other. It's very comical.

Rann, still thinking of you daily. If things get too bad, maybe you could buy the house up the street from me. ☺☺☺

Darrell got both lawns mowed and the cuttings spread on my beds. They make great mulch! I didn't even have to ask him, he just did it. I love him. (sigh with big grin)

I love your photos, EB. Your GS is a cutie-pie!

36F with 62 for later today. This is unseasonable weather. We're usually covered in snow by now. Very warm. It's going to start cooling a bit after today but still.
Feels like: 36F

Barometer: 30.5 in ↑
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 80%
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5801033

Congratulations on your photo contest win, Deb!! All of your photos were beautiful, actually. :-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5801066

40 and sunny. If the wind doesn't pick up I just might get some leaves raked and burned.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5801237

Deb- Congratulations on the win! It's a beautiful picture :)
Celia - Glad Darrell did good on the lawns :) At least he didn't mail anything LOL!

59.0 F / 15 C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the West
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Falling)
UV: 6 out of 16

Freeze watch in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning...

Rest of Today
Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

I think I'm going to stay home the rest of the day, my stomach is not happy.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5801254

Awww, I'm sorry you're sick, Sharon.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5801256

LMBO Sharon!!! Get better.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5801465

Sharon: Thanks! It's a touch chilly here, too. Expecting frost tonight and a freeze (hate that word) tomorrow night. Grrrr! SOrry you're not well.
Marylyn: Thank you! I was surprised; there were sooo many beautiful pics. I saw that Adina placed very high with her Poppies and Daisies!

Celia: We don't have Magpies here. I remember them from a brief time I spent in Calif. They seemed to like to hang out under my bedroom window and wake me up! Noise things, but beautiful. I like your frosty leaf pic.

E_B: How can you tell the horses are Amish? ( ;-> ) Your color window looks so beautiful in the snow!

Rann: You should go find Matt Lauer and tell him to talk about what's going on! I saw a bit of their show from Iceland this morning, but they were talking environmental stuff at that point.

Sunny, and 58 F.
Deb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5801467

38* and it's cloudy, wait, it's sunny, nope cloudy, now it's sunny. I could do this all day because that's what it's doing!

Kelli, I'm glad you have a house too!

Kiska, the basket of needles sounds interesting. Any pictures? That's a nice picture!

Early, beautiful pictures and adorable Grandson!! The hands are a beautiful reminder of comfort.

Kwanjin, yayyy Darrell! He is pretty adorable :o Love the leaf on blue!

Deb, congrats!! I'll have to go look!

Aawww Sharon, rest and relax!!

We've had more pink skies than ever before.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5801526

Deb, you can tell the horses are Amish by their plain coats. ☺

Awesome sky, BP! Very pretty.

Look what Sharon sent me! Sharon, you are a love!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5801540

bp~great idea~ will take a pic of the pine needle basket. Love the sky.
kwanjin~ very pretty; how nice,too.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5801542

13 Clear ~ Highs to the 20's
Few areas of fog and flurries this morning. (not likely from the look now).
Variable wind 10 mph
Get well soon, MySharona~frost; guess winter's arrived in Florida. No, I didn't make the lantern.
ric~"the vapors"; love that term:)) Sounds as if the project is doing well despite the time of year. Magpies are here, too. This morning they seem to be gathering~there are several in the trees and more fying in.
E_B~what beautiful photos; your gson is just as cute as can be.
Deb~I've got to go see your photo; congratulations.
kwanjin~I love the icy leaf pic.
Glass studio in new location of the basement.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5801560

one more~ since this one, the walls/electric are finished. Twice the space as the old location, so much better/light, too.

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5802018

Kska: Thanks! Cool studio - lots of space. Get to work!! ;->
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5802148

thanks, and, I will:))
Just put a plate in the kiln for the first phase of fusing. Will be finished on Wednesday.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 17, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5802160

Deb, congratulations ! Thanks for mentioning about my picture, I wasn't expecting either!
Sharon, get well soon!
Celia, wonderful hibiscus!
Kiska, what is the studio for ?
Sally, great sky!
E_B, such wonderful pics! Your grandson is so cute!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5802231

Deb and Adina, congrats on winning in the photo contest!

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 17, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 23 F / -5 C
Pressure: 30.08 in / 1018 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5802859

Thanks, Kelli. Hope all is well, and maybe less smoky?
Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5803168

Yes, I don't smell the smoke today.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 18, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5803358

Congratulations as well, Adina. The red/whites is gorgeous.
I make fused glass objects and jewelry. The new space is much nicer in which to work.
kelli~glad to hear it's a bit better now.
Clear, dark and getting colder. Lows: zero to 10above.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5803397

Cold and Dyson dark.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5803473

Congratulations to all the winners. I would have said sos earlier but I wanted a good long look at them all 1st. Deb, awesome and Adina, very pretty.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5803483

Thank you, Celia!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5803567

Sharon, get well soon!!

Went out today for the first time in about 2 weeks. The air is about 32 degrees and felt good in my lungs. I did banking and shopping under a sunny sky. Traded in a pair of boots at the Dollar General Store that did not fit for a big bottle of laundry detergent and some small goodies. Hate to have stuff around that does not fit and that I cannot use..

Sunshine today brightened up our lives. That ole' arctic jet stream will hold us in its grip for the next week.

Stay safe, all.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #5803770

28F and Dyson Dark. No snow to speak of today and the sun actually peeked out for a while.

Kiska...what a nice work-space!

deb...The Amish horses in this area speak dutch and wear straw hats! (they remove them for photos) Great job in the photo contest!

adinamiti...You too!

Billyporter...I love that photo. Great composition!

Photo: Another Amish farm view...

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5804182

Good morning!

It's raining, rather windy and 45F this morning. It's 10:30 am and very dim still, it's Dyson dark at 9 am now :-( It's starting to get really tough to get up in the morning ...

Great photos everyone! And ditto to everyone's comments ;-)

Deb - congrats on the win! And congarts to you too Adina :-) I haven't checked out the photos yet - will need to have a look.

Kelli - really scary about the fires. Glad you're safe! Hope things get under control soon.

OK, here's some slightly encouraging news: It seems that there is an agreement in the Icesave battle ... at least an agreement to reach an agreement ... it's all very vague like everything else here. At least Britain and the EU are happy there's an agreement so I guess that's where we are. That means the IMF loan is back on track along with all other loans, it's supposed to be addressed tomorrow by the IMF. Where this will get us is uncertain, no one seems to be in an agreement on what's good or bad these days. At least everyone seems to agree that our immediate future holds a massive drop in the krona once it will be "floated" again, even higher interest rates and massive inflation as a result. So we're not exactly jumping for joy here ... all these loans mean 4.5 million kronas per person which is $33,000 at the current exchange rate ... (a year ago that was $75,000 to give you an idea of the currency drop here ... ) Anyway you look at it it's a lot of money we'll have to pay ... But I guess we won't have food shortage?? so that would certainly be a good thing ...

It's strange that I haven't heard anything about the today show being here ... usually when foreign media show up they make a really big deal out of it ...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #5804220

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/66c87994-aec1-11dd-b621-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

a very good article.

Rann

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5804247

and another one

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081114.wiceland1114/BNStory/International/?pageRequested=4

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5804506

Rann, thank you for sharing those. Gives more insight into your culture and people. I understand a little more.

32F with 62 for later today.
Feels like: 32F

Dewpoint: 29
Humidity: 89%
Visibility: 8 miles
Sunrise: 7:18 AM
Sunset: 5:06 PM

Allysum still going strong.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5804981

34 and sunny. We had a heavy frost last night and right now there's still light frost.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 18, 2008

Post #5805026

3 Dyson Dark for another 2 hours.
The deck is noisy this morning as it pops and cracks as the temp continues to drop.
kwanjin~allysum is so pretty; always does well here in the summer.
se_eds~sounds great to read that you're out and about and doing well.
bp~sunny is good:))
rann~will get back to look at the links; glad there's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.
E_B~such a beautiful setting; great photo shows/tells so much.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5805129

Aaaachoooo sniff sniff :)

Supposed to be a record freeze tonight.

52.5 F / 11 C
Clear
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Wind: 9.4 mph / 15 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 14.7 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Steady)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 4 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from 4 am to 9 am EST Wednesday...
Freeze watch in effect from late Wednesday night through Thursday morning...

Today
Becoming windy. Sunny. High 56. Northwest winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

Low tonight 29*. Must get some plants covered...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 18, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5805131

"bless you"
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5805322

Sharon, between you and my dad I think I'm catching that cold. lol. I've been sneezing for the last couple days and today my nose is acting up though I haven't sneezed yet. I thought it was allergies at first since we were skinning a deer the other day. Guess not.

Sunny still and 41.2.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5805735

Warmer weather is on its way to you, Sharon! It's 72 here now and is going to be in the 40s tonight. I hope you feel better soon!!

The humidity is only 26%. Most women complain about the high humidity here, and its effect on their hair... I like it! When the humidity is low, my hair is very flat and tends to get all static-y. When the humidity is up it actually waves and has some body. This morning I gave up messing with the silly stuff and pulled it back into a braid. :-p

Every year instead of Christmas cards, we make a photo montage thing on DVDs and send them out to the relatives. I sorted through the pictures on the computer this weekend and pulled out the good ones so I could get it started... We took too many pictures this year! LOL I need to do some serious pruning or the "movie" is going to require intermissions for popcorn refills and potty breaks.

I'm glad you're feeling better, se_eds!

Pepper, I hope you don't get sick. Are you taking lots of zinc and vit c?

Love the photos, E_B, and the Amish horse thing was tooo funny! LOL

Kiska, your new studio looks wonderful!!

Adina, I LOVE that photo of the poppies and .. umm.. whatever the white flowers were... I knew what they were when I started the sentence and then I just went totally blank. I tell ya... I turned 40 last month and my brain is complete mush. Sheesh... Well, the photo was fabulous anyway. (blushing and sneaking away...)

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5805967

"The humidity is only 26%." Sorry, but ROTF.

"When the humidity is low, my hair is very flat and tends to get all static-y. When the humidity is up it actually waves and has some body."

I so hear you. My hair has about as much body as embroidery floss. It has no substance, either. I don't even bother to braid it. It just looks like a feeble little rope then. BTW, how do they let you live in the South when you can't do big hair? ;-)

Rann, I hope things get better for you. If I knew of something Icelandic in the store that I could use, I would buy it. (They list in the store where the fish comes from, but I've never seen any from Iceland.)

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 18, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Clear
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 25 F / -4 C
Pressure: 30.10 in / 1019 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5805976

[quote]BTW, how do they let you live in the South when you can't do big hair? ;-) [/quote]

I snuck in when they weren't looking. shhhhh...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5805985

Your secret is safe with me.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5806536

ROTFLOL
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5806646

Now hang on. There's plenty of big hair up north!! ;->
Kelli: SOunds like you and I have the same hair. My sympathies to you.
So yeah, like Marylin, low humidity here, too ( low for us that is, in the 40% range).

Sharon, feel better soon! We are also expected an early and hard freeze the next two nights. It's' 36 at 7pm. Going down to 25 supposedly. Yechh!!!

Se_eds: Glad you're better.
Pepper: Maybe it is just allergies. Hope so.
Going to light the fire now...
Deb
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5807036

That's not big hair up here... it's ski caps!

30 and clear...

Ric

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5807046

LOL. This is hard for me to believe, but it's 32F, at barely 9pm, in November. That's not right.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5807140

DebinSC, it was 22 here this AM, windstill and absolutely perfect!!! Day dawned cloudy and only got up to about 38 here. A grey day with brilliant golden maple leaves scattered around for color.

This evening we had SN**!!! Enough to coat the cold rooftops, then it stopped. Currently crisp clean air, a beautiful late fall evening.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5807148

Brrrrr! ;->
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5807173

Just a reminder - if it would rain out here, it would warm up back there.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 19, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5807454

-2 F Clear, cold and dark. Due to drop to minus 10F tonight.
Areas of low clouds and patchy fog...mainly near Knik Arm.
Lows zero to 10 below.
Northeast wind 10 mph.
The temp slowly dropped from 3 this morning and has continued to below zero late this afternoon.
MarylynT_X~ you're so young~it's been nearly 25 years since 40 was the big number for me...
The freezing fog today looks bright in the sunlight on the trees;
I'm nearly home in this photo; live at the base of the mts.

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #5807931

Good morning :-)

It's very windy but no rain in the forecast ... cloudy or partly cloudy today. Currently 43F. Yesterday's high was around 50F. It's supposed to cool down today and tomorrow, below freezing temps expected by Friday.

Interesting news this morning - traffic decreased in October by about 9% nationwide compared to October of last year ... there has not been a notable decrease in traffic in the past 25 years ...

Kiska - your glass studio looks great! It's really getting cold there - I bet you'll be glad to leave for Hawaii tomorrow ;-)

Sharon - hope you're feeling better.

EB - great photos! I really liked those Amish horses :-) lol

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Here's a photo from last year - I'm doing a terrible job in the photo departmen at the moment ... nov. 20th last year - sunset.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 19, 2008
10:29 AM

Post #5807958

Rann, thank you ! What a fabulous sunset picture ! I'm glad they're going to help your country, very encouraging news!
Kiska, thank you! I remember now I knew about your occupation, but I forgot! You have to show us more often about what you are doing! Great view on your way back home!
Marylyn thanks, they were wild daisies ! That was too funny about the women's hair!LOL Some original Christmas cards you are making there ! How are the bunnies?
Pepper, I hope you get well soon!Take care!
Se_eds, I'm glad you are feeling better and could get out of the house !
E_B, thanks ! You have such beautiful surroundings!
Kelli, thank you! What a relief you are not smelling the smoke anymore!
Sharon, 'Aaaachoooo sniff sniff 'LOL...I understand you aren't well yet...no wonder, it's cold out there! Take care!
Celia, thank you ! I just thrown away all my allysum or it'll fill the pots with their roots! I love them hanging during summer !
Too cold here, but sunny. We had a frost this morning and expecting snow this week.
Adina

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
11:20 AM

Post #5808007

Record low this morning at 4am of 29* beat the 1951 low of 30*.

38.7 F / 3.7 C
Clear
Windchill: 39 F / 4 C
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 22 F / -6 C
Pressure: 30.33 in / 1027.0 hPa (Steady)

Freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Thursday morning...

Today
Sunny. High 54. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Feels like 25*.

Have to go to work today...

This message was edited Nov 19, 2008 6:49 AM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5808341

Good morning!

LOL Adina.. Daisies were NOT what I was trying to think of. Apparently I just didn't know what the white flowers were. Alyssum is a winter flower around here; I have some seedlings in the garden now. :-) They do great in the winter and early spring and then poop out when it gets really hot. The bunnies are doing fine. I'll attach a recent photo - even though the little bunny's mouth is full of cupcake. LOL We celebrated the kitties' birthday on November 10, so of course we had cake and ice cream. The big bunny made party hats for Browser and Flash (the cats), but they wouldn't wear them (surprise, surprise.) So the bunnies rummaged through their bedroom for all of their stuffed animal cats to come to the party and wear the hats. LOL

LOL at the ski caps, Ric! :-)

I'm glad you're feeling well enough to go to work, Sharon.

Our humidity is back up to normal. ^_^

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (47 min ago)
Temperature 45 F 7 C
Dew Point 43 F 6 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.37 in 1028.4 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 46.0F / 7.8C

Today Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5808970

Those bunnies are so cute, cupcakes and all!

Adina, it's funny how you get a mental picture of certain countries. My smart-part knows some places get snow and others don't. My stupid-part says...Huh? Snow in Romania? Too many movies...

Rann, I love that sunset. You have other worries than showing us pictures, so don't be concerned about that. I, personally, love to just hear from you and how those wonderful girls of yours are doing.

39F with 60 for later today.
Feels like: 39F

Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 79%
Sunrise: 7:20 AM
Sunset: 5:05 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5808976

It does cool down here at night, at least when there aren't Santa Anas. It feels almost chilly right now, but it will warm up plenty.

Updated: 7:51 AM PST on November 19, 2008
59 F / 15 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Pressure: 30.07 in / 1018 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5808990

I remember those winds. I miss them sometimes.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5809405

Hi! Brrr...It certainly was 'chilly' here this mornin'. It was 17 w/a windchill of 4 at 7:00 a.m! We had a little snow yesterday that has lingered. Some places (Pocahontas & Greenbrier co's.) had 4"-6"! Roads were a little treacherous yesterday morning, but have cleared up nicely today.
Thank you all for the well wishes on the job searches. I went to Summers Co. today to talk to one of our senators who is retired, but he still has connections...He said that he would let me know something soon. Otherwise, we haven't heard anything, as of yet.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 32F
Feels like: 24F
Dewpoint: 16
Humidity: 46%
Wind: 9 mph W
Sunrise: 7:07 AM
Sunset: 5:09 PM

Rann, I think that things are looking better! :D And I hope that it turns around really soon. But I Have missed your gorgeous pics! Great sunset! I remember one of the 1st pics of yours that I saw...Puffins! The colors were so Brilliant! Do you still have it? It sure would brighten up my day! ;) (hint/hint) LOL
Marylyn!!! Kelli!!! LOL (LMBO) The high humidity! :D When I have a bad hair day I just stick mine up in a 'wad' so I won't have to worry w/ it!
Ric! LOL~ "ski caps"! And they make some of them really funny, too! :D
E_B! LOL at the Amish horses! The ones I saw had the blinders on (no hats). :D Great pics, tho. You had some major snow! But, then you live in the 'snow belt'. And your little grandson is Adorable! You'll be chasing him before too long. ;) And I Love the 'Hands' photo! How appropriate.
Kiska, Love your work space! So much room! in which to maneuver! Hope that you have a Marvelous Trip! The temp change & sunlight will be a nice switch! Take lots of pics! :D
Sharon, I hope that you are feeling better! & that it is a fast-passing (24/hour - a'bug') thing! :) Around here we call the head mess that I have 'the crud'. I have had it for over a week now & think that it is turning into a sinus infection...antibiotics for Me!
Deb, Congratulations! on your photo winning! Gee I have good taste! ;)
Adina, Congratulations to you, as well! The Poppies & Daisies are a natural beauty & you captured them perfectly! :D
Kelli, Glad that the Santa Ana's have calmed down some and I hope that you don't smell any more smoke. That would be frightening enough.
Celia, Glad Darrel go the yard mulched for ya, but I'm glad that he missed the one leaf that you took a pic of! Very Nice!!!
Pepper! You have the Crud! I hope that you don't get it too bad! Take Care!
Se_eds, Glad that you are feeling better & that you can 'mosey' outside in the cool, crisp air. :D Did you get any more snow last night?

Well, gotta check the bird feeder...that's why I had to go to Lowe's. Well...I could have bought some at our local feed store, but I think if Lowe's would sell food & clothes ~ it would be the only place I would shop! :D

Have a great day!
Joey
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5810160

It's been a long day

45.7 F / 7 C
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 46 F / 8 C
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m

Freeze warning in effect from 2 am to 8 am EST Thursday...

Tonight
Clear. Areas of frost after midnight. Low 32. West winds 5 mph.

Cat nap :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5810191

Awww... what a cute kitty. :-) Are you still not feeling well? Can you snuggle up next to the kitty and take a nap, too?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5810402

You sound sad and sick. How did work go? That cat is just darling.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5810739

Temps got to about 60 with little to no wind today. I took advantage and raked and burned leaves. Didn't get to all of them before Oprah came on (Brad Pitt was on so had to watch) but I got most of them. Temps are gonna drop tonight and keep dropping tomorrow. Have heard that our high in a few days will be in the 20s. We'll see.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 20, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5810748

up to 12 above as the day ends; started out below zero.
Sunset was at 4:05.
Sunrise 9:17am.
Off to vacation tomorrow where the temps are a bit warmer.
Good luck, Music2Keep.
MySharona~love the cap-nap~~you take one, too:))
MarylynT_X~~The bunnies are darling; mouthful, smiles and all. Nice photo.
kwanjin~love the photo/tree. Looks so pretty.
kelli~ glad it's calmed down; do you still hike this time of year?
hi rann~photos or not; please don't stop posting:))
pepper23~did you get to see Brad Pitt? Cute as ever:))?
9:30am sunriseglow yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5810787

22 deg this AM but windstill. Cloudy late Nov. day. Finally got the bird feeders hung up as we are supposed to have snow tonight. Anybody check the price of black oil sunflower seeds this year? $5.00 a bag last year - 9.95 this year - same size bag. Are they tied into fuel oil one way or another? Thistle seed has about doubled in price also. I think I'll plant some of those black oil sunflowers next year.

Kiska, love your pictures, it is hard to believe the low temps you have already, yet I know from previous years how cold you get up there.

Kelli, I am ever so glad to see you posting. I have been following the wildfires and they are really scary.

Joey, good luck coming your way for the job search. When I graduated from Pa. State Univ. in 1980 the country was in a recession and I ended up working at a local hospital in the mental health ward. Things do get better!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2008

Post #5810803

Kiska, we go hiking all year as long as it isn't too hot. We haven't gone recently, though, because we have to get the house cleaned up. MIL is coming on Friday.

Seeds, the fire footage they showed on t.v. did look scary. I have never been that close to a fire (knock on wood) so I don't know it is like personally. I would imagine that like everything else, they showed the most dramatic scenes. As for the sunflower seeds, I'm guessing that with corn going for biofuel, there is less for corn oil so more sunflower seeds are being used to make food oil.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008

Post #5810804

Kiska, he's not cute unless he's blushing which he did quite a bit of. He's GORGEOUS!!!! LOLOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 20, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5810823

kelli~ having a guest is always a good thing; at least it gets me motivated and it's just great to have visitors.
se_eds~ that's a huge increase in the seeds; what we do for our friends:)
pepper23~ on that note, I'll close for the next week. Gorgeous is better than cute:))
Not snow~
Thickly frozen fog yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5810961

I think I missed something! Brad Pitt!?!?! Tell me you got pictures!! LOL

And I miss Mau. (marsue)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #5811565

Good morning!

It's cold today, freezing wind, 34F and cloudy, tiny specks of snow drifting about ... not enough for any snowcover yet though ... could get snow tomorrow I think.

Sharon - hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling better!

Joey - good luck on the job search!

seeds - that's an increase similar to here ... I can get it with the currency thing we're going through, but it seems a bit steep over there ...

Good to hear from you all :-) Great photos!

Kiska - hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii :-) Gorgeous photo of the frosted leaves.

Celia - I miss marsue too.

Joey - is this the puffing photo you were talking about?

Have a great day all!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
12:17 PM

Post #5811592

Rann, great pics. of the puffins. Are they native to Iceland? Lee
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5811665

Thank you for your well wishes, they help.

I'm starting to feel a little better. My boss doesn't have any compassion for employees that get sick. Only she is allowed to have a sick day(s). So I went to work yesterday becasue she e-mailed DH asking when I was going to return...whatever...grrrrr...then she looked at me when she arrived like I had 3 heads, fangs and green skin...

I'm hoping to catch up today on the thread :) We had a small freeze this morning, inland had a pretty big freeze.

41.0 F / 5.0 C
Partly Cloudy
Windchill: 41 F / 5 C
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Steady)

Sunny...warmer. High 65. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Another cold front is supposed to move through tomorrow. It will be a nice cool weekend for the yard sale part 2.

Prissy basking in the sun yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5812338

Ugh... (((((((((((((Sharon)))))))))))))))))) Uncompassionate bosses are the pits. :-( I hope you feel better soon!

I love that puffin photo, too, Rann!

Before hanging out on this thread I'd never heard of frozen fog, kiska. Have a great trip!!!

It's going to be another pretty day here. I'm hoping the little bunny's teachers send home her jackets in her backpack today... She needs them in the morning when she gets on the bus, but doesn't need them on her way home in the afternoon. That's fine, but they aren't putting her jackets in her backpack and I think she has 3 of them there now - including one of her sisters! I'm running out of jackets. Today she just wore a thin sweater, so it's a good thing it was a little warmer this morning than it has been. She has a couple of winter coats, but it's not THAT cold in the morning.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CST (22 min ago)
Temperature 68 F 20 C
Dew Point 61 F 16 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 30.24 in 1024.2 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 50.0F / 10.0C

Today Partly cloudy. Areas of fog early in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. West winds around 5 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Cooler. Lows in the mid 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming north and increasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5812396

Ah, Hawaii...(sigh)

Rann, that is a winning photo if I ever saw one!

Sharon, glad you're feeling a little better but I wish you could have taken more time off. That sucks big time! Prissy looks like Isis yesterday laying on the grass and soaking it up.

Marylyn, LOL about the jacket. She'll be layering her shirts before long!

38F with 61 for later today. It's overcast now and there is a high wind advisory oput. Gusts up to 50 mph expected through the canyons.
Feels like: 34F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↓
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 82%
Wind: 5 mph N
Sunrise: 7:21 AM
Sunset: 5:05 PM

Monty likes to hold his bowl down so the water won't get away. He has a drinking problem.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5812482

Celia, Brad Pitt was on Oprah yesterday.

Cold, cloudy and getting colder.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5813042

I'm behind again. I read, but too much to comment on. Thanks for everyone's comments to me.

Dang, I missed Brad Pitt too. I'm just not a daytime TV watcher.

I have everything I need to make a Thanksgiving meal!! Bring it on!!

34*, a few snowflakes swirling around, grey and windy!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5813061

Thanks for the comments on the puffin photo :-)

Lee - thanks, yes they are native to Iceland. Smoked puffin is considered a delicacy, although I've never tried it ... sorry, I know they're very cute ;-) lol

Sharon - arrrrgh bosses like that are the pits... I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

Is Oprah on daytime TV over there? ... she's on evening here ... and daytime too ...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5813223

I've never tried puffin but I'd be willing to try. I saw a show last night about horses. There are places where it is a menu item. I'd be willling to try that, too.

Don't watch Oprah. Even for the Bradster. ☺

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5813288

Rann, I know Oprah is on in the afternoon, but I don't sit down in front of the TV till about 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Sometimes not at all. The only good local TV night is Wednesday and Thursday. I tape CSI and X-Files and watch those when DH is on the computer.

Kwanjin, I could probablly try eating those too. I just don't want raccoon, etc. Octopus or snails. I love squirrel, rabbit and pheasant.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5813297

I'm just taking a break from the L.A. grunge scene, also known as my kitchen floor. It's nice to have a big kitchen until it's time to clean it.

There are a lot of things that I would eat, but most of the things that do not sound good to me are mammals or parts of mammals. I'll pass on the blood and brains and reproductive organs, thank you.

Sharon, your boss is evil. ;-) One time I almost got laid off for taking too many sick days. I would imagine that would have been illegal, especially seeing as we had no cut-and-dried sick leave policy.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on November 20, 2008
83 F / 28 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5813303

LA grunge scene...heh heh heh

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5813384

ROTFL!!! Kelli!

Strange skies we've been having. This is true color, which is why I ran out barefoot in the freezing morning to take a picture before it changed.

Thumbnail by billyporter

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5813483

Rann: Ya gotta love Puffins!
Sharon: Prissy looks blissful. Sorry your boss is so mean!
Kiksa: Frozen fog is neat!
Celia: LOL. I wouldn't try to take that water dish away from Monty!
Kelli: I loved your description of your kitchen floor. :)
BP: Absolutely beautiful sky!

We've had two nights in the 20s! Soooo not normal. If this keeps up, we'll have more nights under 30 in one week than we normally have in the whole season! Today was nice, though. Sunny, 60. Totally Dyson Dark now.
Deb
The party's over...

Thumbnail by DebinSC

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5813509

Aawww, love your picture Deb!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5813534

LOL - Kelli :-)

Celia - LOL - Monty's too funny! :-)

Sally - very cool looking sky.

Horses are actually a menu item here too ...ahem .. although not in my kitchen ...

Hildur Eva told me that they had "svi" for lunch in her preschool someday this week ... that's sheep's heads ... she said they were very good, especially the tounge and she also tasted the eyes (I've never been so brave), according to her they're not bad either. lol I have to say I was very proud of her. lol Selma wouldn't have touched it. I liked them when I was a kid, but after we returned home after the 7 years in Florida I haven't been able to eat them...

And with that I bid you good night ;-) lol

This was around 1 pm today - high noon ... as you can see we're not exactly getting an overabundance of daylight this time of year ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5813606

Rann, she is very brave!! I grew up on beef tongue, liver and heart, but I could never eat an eye. I wouldn't even eat a fried fish tail.

Wow, Dyson dim in the early afternoon!!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5814115

The good Lord gave man dominion over the animals - they are to EAT! I raised and loved roast goose, chicken, ducks, beef and pork. When I was very poor and raising a large family I shot, cleaned and cooked groundhog with sauerkraut. (Tastes like pork-but must be carefully cleaned). Trapped so many rabbits, cleaned and cooked them and ground the meat to add to spaghetti sauce. Same way with venison.

Never ate doves or robins, but my husband's family did in the early 1930's - they made them into potpie.

Bllyporter we ate beef tongue, - especially pickled, liver with onions, and stuffed and roasted beef heart. My kids ate fried brook trout and fried cornmeal mush many a day.
Don't think I could go through those child rearing days again - but they are all strong and healthy adults today.

I know the economy is rough - and may get rougher. We old people may have to teach again, survival tactics to the young ones who never had a hungry day in their lives.
Most of them don't know you can put together 2 cups of flour, I tablespoon of grease, a cup of milk and 2-1/2 tsp of baking powder and roll out enough potpie dough
to feed 8 people. ( with some broth potatoes and meat)

Weather - another day of grey - snow flurries all over the place. Strong winds this afternoon, wet and cold outside. This is the first day I have seen the grass covered with a light layer of snow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5814368

Deb... Life goes on forever and the Party never ends! LOL

Puffin... you know why they almost went extinct and penquins didn't... penquins taste horrible.
Puffins were life savers for many a sailor and fisherman and still are considered a taste treat.
THAT IS a marvelous photo Rann!!
You HAVE to enter that next year!

Congrats to ALL who entered the photo contest this year!

We're getting whacked tomorrow night.
Down to the mid teens they are saying... 50 by Thanksgiving...
Lots of snow showers today but nothing hanging around... yet! LOL

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5814678

Never tasted penguin. Now I don't want to. ☺

Eaten bear, moose, deer, raccoon(yuck), squirrel, possum, pidgeon, snake, bees, ants, and, to my Darrell's horror...cat food. Oh, and once, when I was very young, a caterpillar.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5814720

I've had alligator! LOL

It only got to 38 today and will be in the teens when I wake up in the morning.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #5814782

Oh yeah! Gator! LOL Kind of chewy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5814819

To above...minus Cat Food...lol!
Add Armadillo... sweet and flaky
Buff and Beefalo... Emu..Turtle VERY chewy... Mud-bugs (love'm!)
Funny but I don't care much for seafood except Salmon and Tuna...
I am very sensitive to the iodine taste.
To me NOTHING beats a good Lamb Stew!
AND I have 2 lambs coming in a few weeks...prepackaged...

32 (Wind Chill 22)
Just got back in from the Hot Tub...we have put the wind screens in place...lol!
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5814865

Okay, now I have to make lamb stew. Thanks, Ric.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5814902

I guess the strangest thing I ever had was sea urchin eggs.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #5814989

What did that taste like?
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #5815096

Good morning!

It's 32F, Dyson Dark and fairly calm this morning. I think it's cloudy but it's too dark to tell without going outside ...

You guys certainly have more variety of weird menu items! lol No wild critters here to eat except birds. Well, Reindeer (Caribou) but there aren't that many and the hunting licence is horribly expensive so that would be a luxury item ...

Sally - Dyson Dim! I like it :-) Yes, if it's not Dyson Dark, then it's Dyson Dim ;-) lol That was high noon, we're on Greenwich time although we should be -1, so high noon is just after 1 pm, not 12. Might be why I'm always an hour behind? lol

Have a great time everyone!

Here's another of the puffins, they were a very photogenic pair :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5815241

Rann - the Puffins are beautiful!

I've lost my voice. Hoping my boss will let me leave early today...it's not like I can answer the phones LOL! Thank you for your support. This is how bad our boss is...a co-worker had a lymph node removed from under her jaw and a cyst from her thyroid. When she came back to work sporting 2 bandages on her neck our boss never asked how she was doing/feeling, how the surgery went, what the prognosis was, nothing. Just acted like the surgrey never happened. I think it's a sad way to live...no compassion. Anyway, with the economy the way it is, I have to stay until I can find another job so I suck it up and go to work.

48.4 F / 9.1 C
Clear
Windchill: 46 F / 8 C
Dew Point: 33 F / 1 C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)

Freeze warning in effect from 3 am to 8 am EST Saturday...

Today
Mostly sunny and breezy. High 58. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph.

Tomorrow is going to be a cold day for the yard sale! Our sky this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5815245

Hey Rann, as cute as the Puffins are, I must say that they look, in profile, as I did before a little rhinoplasty I had done. LOL Lee
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5815252

Just popping in to say "Hi" and thanks to each of you for your loving support and for your prayers. My 21 yr. old grandson was injured in a wreck yesterday on his way to work. He has a slight concussion but should be okay in a couple of days. He gave us quite a scare! However, the Lord protected him--his truck was totaled but at least he is going to be okay.

I miss being here, too, Celia. I'll return on a more regular basis at some point in the near future, hopefully.

Sharon, sorry you've been "under the weather"--hope you are feeling better now.

Rann:About all that "weird" food--if you've ever eaten bologna you've eaten some weird parts! LOL ( I like bologna!) Puffins are cute!

Marylyn: loved the photo of you and the bunnies having a teaparty! If you viewed the video on the link which I posted somewhere above, you saw two photos of my DH teaching one of our DGD's how to hold a teacup and how to use a napkin. Those two photos and the one of Buddy helping another of our little DGD's put on her dress-up shoe are some of my favorites. Buddy loved all his grandkids but the softer side of him showed up when he was dealing with our granddaughters. :o))

It's cold here today--currently 27 with a high of 46 predicted. BRRR!--not ready for this colder weather!

You all have a good week-end!

Thanks again for all of your kindnesses and love which you have sent my way.

Marilyn
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5815253

LOL at leaflea!

Marsue and I crossed :)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 8:33 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5815258

Waving at Marsue! Hi! We've missed you terribly. We'll keep your GS is our prayers too. So glad and blessed that he is doing well.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5815402

Here's in Joplin, MO Airport!

18 F / -8 C
Clear
Windchill: 18 F / -8 C
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 11 F / -12 C
Pressure: 30.66 in / 1038 hPa (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 981 ft / 299 m

It so chilly this morning I grab my morning newspaper and my dog Rusty hate stand outside on back deck porch!

Have a good day,
Got run for Dr's appt today...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5815484

Good morning! All of your food lists are definitely helping my diet... I lost my appetite. LOL Actually, I just feel very boring now. I don't think I've ever eaten anything weird or exotic.

Marilyn, I'll be praying for your grandson, too! I'm glad he didn't get hurt badly. We do miss you, and pray for you often!

Sharon, that is very sad about your boss. :-( I hope you have fun at the garage sale. They are always a lot of work to set up, but I like the actual sale part. :-) Stay warm! Maybe you can sell cups of hot chocolate and/or coffee to the folks who come by.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (59 min ago)
Temperature 50 F 10 C
Dew Point 30 F -1 C
Humidity 46%
Pressure 30.47 in 1031.9 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH 14 kts
Wind Dir NNE 30
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 52.0F / 11.1C

Today Partly cloudy. Much cooler. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5815672

LOL leeflea!

Marylyn glad we could help your diet! ;-)

It appears a lot of the country is in Global Warming denial.
It's 28 (Wind Chill 21) here this morning and will be in the high teens tonight..
The average low is 34
High today 34 (average high 51)
I think today's FPR work will consist of starting to frame out the inside walls.
We did though plastic over the last little bit of outdoor wall to be finished.
So we can work w/o breaking the barrier and letting the cold in...lol!

I don't know if I posted the primed pic of the window trim.

Here's Emmit checking them out.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5815682

She's a Ham...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5815690

Emmit is giving her stamp of approval!
leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5815691

Love the cat photo. Let her be the ham. LOL Lee
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5816103

28.6 and sunny. No wind that I can tell but since it's so cold anyways it don't matter. LOL.

Here's a sunset photo I took a few days ago.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5816155

Leaflea, you're funny! LOL

Emmit is adorable!

Marylyn, you're probably lucky you haven't tried anything exotic. Once you get a taste for something like that, it's hard to go back to "regular" foods.

Anybody watch Bizzare Foods?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5816179

Oops! The weather...

36F with 59 for later.
Feels like: 36F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 27
Humidity: 70%
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Sunrise: 7:22 AM
Sunset: 5:04 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5816315

I dunno, Celia... I think if I had to try sheep's eyes, macaroni and cheese might sound really good! LOL

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 1:39 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5816349

LOL Marylyn. That's very true.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 21, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5816412

Guys, all this talk about "strange" food is very common to me ! We are eating almost everything in an animal, including the brains...but not always the eyes! In Romania we make a special salt jello with garlick from the pork's boiled head, ear and tail. Also, we are cooking tongue, heart, lungs, liver, even bowels from lamb, cow and pork. And they are delicious !
Se_eds, we are still cooking here and many of the Romanians don't trust the new foods and prefer the old, traditional ones.
Sharon, what a bad boss...I'm sorry you lost your voice..it seems you have the same bug which flies arround here too!
Rann, those puffins are so cute they don't seem real! Hildur Eva is a brave girl and a survivor! I remember we had such poor times when Ceausescu was alive and rulled our country...he wanted to pay our country's debts and everything went abroad for sale, including meat. They were cooking lunch with a cheap salammi for the kids in kindergarden instead of meat.
Marsue, I'm praying for your GS to heal soon...thank God he isn't bad injured! I missed you too here and thought and prayed for you everyday.
Ric, Emmit is so cute ! Seems she likes the new roof and windows!
Celia, cute Monty !
Billy, great sky!
Kelli, how big is your kitchen ? I always hated cleaning the kitchen ahd the stove, but now I am so fond of the new kitchen I am cleaning it every day...I hope this lasts!
Marylyn, poor bunny, she has to deal with so much at school ! I hope the teacher sends you the jackets!
Deb, great picture !
Here's the sky from yesterday morning. After a freeze yesterday, it has warmed up today and we're expecting snow tomorrow...ugh!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5816440

Yep, we watch "Bizarre Foods" and "No Reservations". "Man vs Wild" eats some pretty gross stuff, too. There was an episode in Iceland where he ate the eye of a sheep. As for the sea urchin eggs, I don't remember what they tasted like, except that they weren't bad. They are a sushi item.

Marilyn, I'm glad your grandson is going to be all right. The last thing you need is more family sorrows.

Rann, the puffins are gorgeous. They almost look unreal. (Is it just me, or has anyone else ever thought that as far as animals go, humans are pretty ugly, really.)

Everybody's kitties looks so sweet.

Sharon, one time my brother got fired from the place where he had worked because he took off too many unscheduled days. This too many was two. One day was because he had to take his wife to the hospital and one day was for his wife's grandma's funeral.

Adina, I don't know the size of the kitchen, as in dimensions or square feet. It's big for a 1960s kitchen but probably isn't big for a 2000s kitchen. At least around here, everything is big with a 2000s house except the yard. I'll take a picture of it later today.

I'll give you the weather later today when we get around the time of the daily high.

Thanksgiving cactus in the non-grungy kitchen.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5816704

Here is the elusive grunge-free kitchen

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5816708

and from the other corner - It isn't super huge like a gourmet kitchen or anything like that, but based on what I've seen, it's big for the time period in which the house was built. (I know the blue chairs are a nasty color combination with the rest of the room, but I had the chairs long before I moved here. After a while, I don't see them anymore. As my grandma would say, "You get used to hanging if you hang long enough."

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5816744

I havn't eaten near enough odd things in my life! It's interesting to see who has tho!

Seeds, potpie sounds really good. I vow to make one this year!

Kwanjin, ants?? Intentionally? Cat food - ROTFL!!! Tell Darrel lots of people sample their pets food!

Rann, the puffins are gorgeous. If there aren't many then I won't eat one :o) I think someone else came up with Dyson Dim and I just repeated. It is a perfect, fun description!

Sharon, it's always best to remember your boss is not your friend at the work place, but your's is downright rude! Hope you get your voice back. How will you hawk your wares with no voice?

Leeflea, LOL!

Marsue, take care of you and yours.

Hi Rusty! Welcome!

Marylyn, I really haven't eaten much odd meats either. Not even lamb :o)

Ric, the red leaves are gorgeous! I think Emmit approves of his new lookout point!

Pepper, interesting sky! We lost our wind too. Yaaay!

Marylyn, ROTFL over mac and cheese!

Adina, it's nice to know people still eat traditionally. We may all be going back to using everything but the squeak. Gorgeous sky!!!

Kelli, you have a great kitchen!! The chairs are just fine. I don't see them after awhile either. Love the hanging peppers. The Thanksgiving cactus is beautiful!

It's 30* sunny and NO wind!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5816908

BP, I tell Darrell I'm not in a minority. I wanna know what the cats are eating. Yes, ants. With Chocolate! LOL Crunchy. So were the bees.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #5817001

Ahhh, chocolate!! That changes everything!! :o)

PS, I think cat food smells good from a distance :o)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5817695

Emmit and Katt hang out there a lot.
We did (and will again) have a Greenhouse up there.
They loved it.
The red leaves are a cheap Japanese Maple we bought probably 8 years ago...
maybe 15 dollars for two.
At the size it is now... Not Cheap... lol!

I used to raise Rabbits for meat and love it.
And I've learned basic butchering and all that goes w/ it from some kind Amish Folk in the 60's.
I can't understand why more farmers aren't going to Goat and Sheep.
It's really a sellers market out here.
W/ corn going so high now I think we'll start seeing more and more smaller browsers being raised.
As I alluded earlier we are purchasing 2 lambs.
A co-worker divides meat from a whole steer into 1/4's, so you get a bit of all the cuts.
Now we need to find a good chicken supplier... meat not 'Fancy' Birds... LOL!

Adina here everyone used to eat the whole animal... tastes have changed and so a lot is wasted.
Though love Liver... I'll pass on the Head Cheese and Tripe though... but Thanks!

We got the HT tarped for the Winter... this will be the last ugly phase year.
We plan on making removeable panels to block the wind probably next Summer..
But we may just do it sooner.
W/ the wind blocked you can use the HT at 2 degrees or so lower temps... a big money saver.

We also started framing the inside closet walls in the FPR... Former Plant Room for the newbies.
And HI!!!!! to Lee and Rusty BTW...
Since we are marrying an old and new structure it takes a bit longer to get the walls straight.
The closet will be 5'6" wide by 5' high by about 18" deep.
It will, at this point, be used to house our construction tools.
Later Robyn's art and sewing supplies...

Kelli I wish we had a kitchen half that big!
And as for elusive grundge free...LOL!
We've been doing construction for 3 years now... maybe by Christmas...

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 22, 2008
10:51 AM

Post #5818551

Kelli, wow, I love your kitchen, so cheerfull! And it is big...you were right about the cleaning!LOL Love the tiles and windows and the cactus...just beautiful! And my DH who always said why take everything with flowers on it!LOL

Ric, you have done so much and still have to do more! Good for you, it's a great job you did there!

It's raining here and getting cold...and I'm vacuuming all the house...ugh!We have a few friends coming over tomorrow and I have to do an apple cake, but maybe tonight .
This is the protection I finally fixed on the curtains. It was a whole piece, like a plastic ribbon and I had to measure and cut on each one's size.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 22, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5818555

And this is how it looks! I forgot to say it's Dyson dark here...BTW, where is Dyson?

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5818585

Good morning everyone!

Very windy here today, 39 and rain showers likely at some point today.

Thanks everyone for your comments on the puffins ... they're not rare, there's plenty of them around the right places. They nest on cliff tops in burrows they dig, other times of year they're out at sea. So I haven't seen them very often. There's an island just off the coast of Reykjavk with a huge population of nesting puffins in the summer, but you never see them here.

Bosses in the US are much tougher than here in Iceland ... Icelanders are very easy going and leanient ... you'd never get fired for taking too many sick days, unless maybe if you never showed up and you weren't really sick... lol People have a right to 2 sick days a month, if you get really sick for a longer time you get a note from you doctor and that's that's. Women get 6 months payed maternity leave and fathers get 3 months. 5 weeks summer vacation... and if you get fired you get 3 months notice on full pay.

Kelli - your kitchen looks great. Very pretty november cactus :-) Selma's is just beginning to flower too :-) And I totally agree ... humans are missing that "cute and cuddly" factor ;-) lol

Selma has a violin recital today - here's a photo from her last one in October ..

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #5818638

Good Morning! We're off to a chilly start! yesterday & the day before we got some snow!!! Snowshoe, a nearby ski resort, had 9" of the white & fluffy made then they got 22" from Mother Nature. They will be opening their ski season 5 days early.
At Dublin...
Fair: 21F
Feels like: 17F
Barometer: 30.5 in
Dewpoint: 12
Wind: 3 mph W
Sunrise: 7:10 AM

You guys Had to bring back memories! :P When I was little my mom made me eat beef & pork liver, because she thought that I was too 'puney'. Now when I smell it or see it I want to 'hurl'. I do, however Love! chicken livers! and deer liver is good... My granny used to eat 'souse' (sp) a lot. I have seen folks eat pork brains, but am not very brave. I guess if I were starving it may be different. LOL! I'll have to look up that 'Road Kill' cookbook!
Ric, We have (had) a 1/4 beef in the freezer (which has been eaten on) & are waiting on some pork. I used to deer hunt, but I now leave that up to DS & DD. They both bow hunt & DS gun hunts. So I should have plenty of venison, too.
Adina, Your curtains look Great! Your floor is so shiny! :D
Kelli, Love your kitchen! It's so bright & cheery! And your Cactus looks Beautiful!
Rann! Thanks for you support! And Yes! Those are the pics I was thinking of! :D Thank you! I just Love 'em! I had no idea that they could be eaten! But, then again, I suppose that most anything can! A lot of the mountain folk around here eat Rattle Snake & swears that it tastes like chicken. But I don't know about the sheep's eyes. I saw some folks eat them on TV & they ate eggs w/ baby chicks in them! I would really have to be starving! I found an egg like that from some eggs I got at Wal-Mart once & haven't bought them there since...I go local. If Jack would leave birds alone I think I would raise them myself. Hope that Selma's recital goes well today! Great Shot! ;)
Marsue, I am SO...thankful (as I'm sure that you are too) that your GS wasn't hurt badly in the accident. ~ Praying for you to come back to us soon! We miss ya!
Leeflea & Rusty! Helluuuuu! :D
Sharon, Sorry to hear that you have such an 'ill' boss. I think that folks like that don't like themselves & are to be pittied. I had one like that...pretty sad. Luckily I had a union contract that protected me. Glad that you are felling better! And love Callie's cat-nap! :D
Celia, Gator is good! My DH is from LA & turned me on to it! :D
Marylyn, Those little bunny's are as cute as can be! I know you have a real hoot w/them. Did the jackets ever make it home?
Where IS Dyson?
Se_eds, Thanks for the support! ;) I have a part time job at a convenience store, but that's just not cutting it...I was used to making way more money. It's funny how life styles change when you make more money. Is that called 'adjusted income'? LOL
Deb! Gee, Your temps aren't much better than ours! :-O Hope that it warms up for ya soon!

Well, I need to go feed the birds! And yes, the bird seed has about doubled in price! I couldn't believe it when I went to Lowe's! I may be growing my own Sunflower seeds next year!

Have a Great Day!
Joey

A pic taken at Snowshoe (not mine)

Thumbnail by music2keep

leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5818748

Rann, Selma appears to be quite the poised young lady. Congratulations. Lee

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5818814

Joplin, Missouri (Airport)
Updated: 52 min 50 sec ago
30 F / -1 C
Clear
Windchill: 21 F / -6 C
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 15 F / -9 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the South
Pressure: 30.43 in / 1030 hPa (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 981 ft / 299 m

Hello to all!

I final went see my doctor yesterday and sure it sore on my both arms (2 shots of each tenus and flu! ouch!). Also, I got good medicine which it help me stop pain on my right hip and sleep good thru night.

I gonna try to paint (art painting) some old barn which I was on road this year early but I'm on medicine so I have to wait until I get better.

Rusty still don't want go outside too cold...

Have a good day,
Rusty56 (Anna - please don't use my real name)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5818833

18 here!
YIKES these are February Temps!

Ric
leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5819139

Hello to you, too, music2keep, and I hope you have a good day . Lee
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5819382

Morning, all!

Still having weirdly cold temps.

Bright, sunny, and 37 at nearly noon.
Deb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5819418

Welcome, Rusty, and good morning, all!!!

37F with 52 for later today.
Feels like: 35F

Dewpoint: 26
Wind: 3 mph ENE
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:04 PM

Downy Woodpecker is neighbors apple tree.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5819599

Ric, it was money well spent on the JM's, it's beautiful!! My Grandma used to raise white rabbits with red eyes for butchering. DD just started with the Boer meat goats and we had lambs when I was a kid. We lived on the edge of town and the pasture was in the country at that time. DD raises meat chickens too. Nothing beats the flavor. Ditto on the eggs. It's always good to see someone building their own things. You're lucky, or I should say your wife is lucky you can do it :o)

Adina, I don't envy you your project!! I've been cleaning in spurts. Cobwebs and dusting one day, vacuming the next.I've even done a pre-bathroom cleaning. My most hated job. The house does look pretty clean now. The curtains look great! Good job!! I really love those curtains!

Rann, your work rules are great! Selma is a very beautiful, poised young lady from a year ago. She really has grown up in just a few years. I'm sure she plays beautifully too. She holds the bow well.

Joey, looking out the window, I can count the occasional snow flake that drifts into view. Beautiful picture of Snowshoe! I almost want snow now.

Rusty, we are as cold as you, but cloudy. I'm sure the sore arms are worth it and hope your hip feels better. Sure is hard to sleep on a hip that hurts. The painting sounds interesting. I know just how Rusty feels!

Kwanjin, one of my favorite woodpeckers. I have one suet block in the freezer and thought I better get it out and I need to push the shephard crooks into the hard ground before it gets too late. I'll let them eat a few more weed seeds before I feed them all.

Thinking of Marsue and the missing Dyson. Where is Sugarweed?

It's 30*, cloudy with one or two flakes of snow, and chilly!. We are supposed to get a south breeze this afternoon. Yaay! We'll be hanging the rest of the Christmas lights tomorrow. Earliest we've ever done it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5819781

I'm so glad you reminded me about the suet! I gotta get some out soon, too! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5819839

:o)

I'm going to try making my own from a recipe that came in one of my flower catalogues.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5819844

Someone said dyson was dim? Now I've never been accused of being overly bright (though I do have my moments). Been here & watching, but hammering the overtime this week.

Winter is here. It was 23 with a truly biting breeze this morning at 5 when I left for work.
I do not like the cold.

Thumbnail by Dyson

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5819864

Dyson: You are not alone the the not liking the cold thing. :)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5819865

Who's going to be brave and start a new thread for those on dial-up?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5820276

O.K. I did it. New thread is here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926293/

Thumbnail by Kelli

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America