Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Propagation: Rooting Confederate Rose Cuttings

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 28, Views: 343
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bamagirl35973
Cedar Bluff, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #5776904

What is the best way to root Confederate Rose cuttings?
I've never tried rooting these but I would like to.
GreenThumbsTN
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5777879

they are easy to root!

cut them into approximately foot long sections and put them in a bucket with 2 to 3 inches of water. time to root depends on ambient temperature, the warmer the environment, the faster they will root. i keep mine in a cool (45 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit) environment and they take about 12 weeks or so to root. this works well for me as i put them in now and then take them out rooted in march.

you can alternatively place them in a pot with damp mix and place them in an area that will not freeze or get below 35 through the winter, water very sparingly. expect new growth by april.

peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5779779

In central Alabama, you can simply stick them in well prepared soil (maybe where you want them to be), keep the area moist (not soaked continuously), and you will receive new Hibiscus. As previously posted, they are easily rooted.
Good gardening.
bamagirl35973
Cedar Bluff, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5779896

Thanks, I've got some in water now in the garage. It may get to cold out there so I guess that I had better bring them inside.
Do they need to be in front of a window for the sunlight or does it matter?
I was thinking that I might take them to an upstairs bedroom that we don't use to store them for the winter. I keep the vents closed in that room so it stays a little cool during the winter months.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2008
6:31 AM

Post #5781345

Ok you guys, clue me in. I am in Washington State. A couple of years ago I got some seed for Confederate Rose but haven't planted it. Is it a rose, or a hibiscus? If a hibiscus, why do they call it a rose?
Actually, every time I see the term "Confederate Rose" my ears perk up. But, it is used to describe a lot of different plants???

I guess the reason I haven't planted it is because I am not sure if it would winter up here. zone 5.

Jeanette
GreenThumbsTN
Chattanooga, TN
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5781904

jeanette,

it's not a rose. it's a hibiscus. the form that changes colors is hibiscus mutabilis.

there's a lovely write-up in the book 'passalong plants' by steve bender and felder rushing. page 115 in my edition.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 12, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5783970

Jeanette, Floridata lists it as hardy in zones 7-9, but if you started with a year old plant,. or grew it from cuttings you could still have blooms. I have some growing now that are a year old. I can send you one if you would like. Here they get really tall, but if you kept it potted, you could control it's height. Here's a picture of the flower I took this week, if you are interested, dmail me. Linda

Ps. Alot of the start out white and fade to red, but mine starts out pink and fades to red.

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5783986

Yeah, they get really big in the South, and fast too. Bloom in, what, September, October?

We used to cut them back to about a foot above the ground every year to keep them in control, after it gets cold enough for the foliage to die. They are extremely easy to root, a bucket of water and a little patience all that is needed.

ex-North Carolinian here... ;-)
bamagirl35973
Cedar Bluff, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #5785161

Yes, they start blooming here in October. We have one that is still blooming now.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2008
6:23 AM

Post #5785313

That is beautiful!! Jeanette
Gingerose
Lake Jackson, TX

November 15, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5794522

hi every one ..has any one ever seen a red confederate rose? red all the time ..I have a white one .that turns pink in the evening..then the next day as it dies turns red ..Then I had a pink one that stayed pink all the time...but had two people tell me about a red one ...would love to see a picture of one..or better yet get one (smile) Gingerose
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5795287

ibartoo/Linda, that is one beautiful flower! I'm hooked now! I'll have to put this on my wish list or make a trade list. Do you know the name of that one by any chance?

Happy Gardening to All,
Shoe
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5795446

Shoe, if mine grows good and gives me a baby I will be sure to send it to you. Might be a short time. LOL, but you will be sure to get one.

Jeanette
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5795480

Great! Thanks a gazillion, Jeanette! I'd be happy to send you something in return, just name it. (Or I could surprise you w/something.)

That sure is a pretty one, isn't it? I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Shoe
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 16, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5796881

Horseshoe, I know that it is hibiscus mutabilis. I have some more if you would like one. They are in 4" pots and have kind of grown into the ground. I can send you one for postage if you like,. Just send me a dmail.

Gingerrose, I haven't ever seen the red one. I have seen the white that turns pink, mine actually starts pink and turns red. I love them all.
Linda
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5798084

Boy Shoe, you can't go wrong with an offer like that!! Let me know what you do so I won't take a baby away from it's mama. LOL, Jeanette
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5798194

Howdy, Jnette, I just replied to a Dmail from Linda, accepting!
Now you can just enjoy yours (and I'll enjoy mine, too!).

I hope ya'll are steering me to a new plant addiction; I see where we could all start collecting the various colors and types!

Happy Sunday to all!
Shoe
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5799095

Enjoy it Shoe, and let me know how it grows. Jeanette
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #5834969

When they get to be about 3-4 ft tall each season, you can prune them back about a foot for a bushier plant and more blooms. This way they don't get so tall. I have seen them used as a hedge, really pretty.
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5848586

I took some Confederate Rose cuttings from my parents home in Texas a month ago and brought them home with me to Utah. The leaves all fell off so I put them in a cup of water with some cut willow branches. One of them has developed a bunch of roots. I am hopeful that the others will too in time. I also put a few of them in my bubbler system and one of them is putting on new leaves, but I only see nubs on the base of the stem so far which is a good sign.

My parents have promised to send some seed this year which I will also try. Unfortunately, they probably won't live through the winter here, but I will see. They are beautiful even if I have to bring them in for the winter.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5849904

I have some seeds I think I will try them this spring.

Jeanette
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5851172

Seeds are probably fine, but I would imagine it will take several years to get a flower???
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5851189

I remembered I took a picture that shows all three stages of the flower. I fell in love with it immediately!

Thumbnail by billgrubbs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5851814

Azalea (Howdy, Ma'am!)...a quick slightly off-topic question for ya, please?

I see seedpods of crape myrtle here and there on trees around town. Any idea how long it would take to get a flowering shrub/tree from seeds?

Thanks! And hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Friend Shoe
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5852568

Hi there Shoe! haven't seen ya around for awhile! T Day was great with all the kids, I trust your's was too.
Found these instructions on another site:

After the crepe myrtle blooms berries about the size of peas will develop in clusters. Wait until they turn brown and you should find the seeds (brownish or black)inside the berries abouit 4-6 seeds per berrie. Press these seeds into moist but not soggy potting soil in a regular pot and cover them lightly with soil. Place a thin layer of milled sphagnum moss to keep down damping off disease. Place the pot inside aplastic baggie and seal it and keep the temperature around 75 degrees F. Germination occurs in about 2 weeks or less. When the seedlings germinate take the pot out of the bag and keep it under a 40 watt flourescent shop light about 8 inches above. When the seedlings have their second set of true leaves they can be gently pricked out of the pot and potted up separately. Acclimate them outdoors in a safe place free from direct sunlight, wind, rain and extremes in temps for about 10 days and then you may plant them in direct sunlight.
If you wish to use cuttings take green softwood cuttings about 8 inches long that have no flowers on them. Make the cuttings where the green twig meets the main branch. Use a sharp knife not scissors. Strip all of the leaves off of the cuttings except the last two or three. Dip the cut end into some rooting hormone which can be purchased at a good nursery. Stick the cutting into a pot with wet sand or moist soil less potting mix about an inch deep and seal inside a plastic bag. Rooting will take place in 4-8 weeks and you can check by gently probing around the cutting with a pencil. When there is a good root system pot up separately. I hope this helps.
I don't see anywhere that tells how soon you would get blooms tho - They do grow pretty fast so maybe only3-4 years??

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 8:14 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5852659

Thanks! (Sorry, didn't mean for you to go look it up for me, but I like what you found! Ya done gooood!.)

I'll see what I can do with these then. I normally prefer to do cuttings as they are very easy to do, with many different plants, and the results are faster. Crape myrtles are a favorite tree of mine so hope to add them to my repetoire!

Glad to hear you had a good T-giving, with family joining you. It's nice, eh?

Take great care. Hello to that Barbershop Singer of yours!

Best,
Shoe

Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5852865

LOL- Ok Shoe - He will be in tonight about Midnight- gone to his weekly practice in Stone Mt.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

December 24, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5923610

I've had 90% Hibiscus mutabilis cuttings made in late summer bloom the following fall, Shoe. I've gotten blooms on these things consistently the second year from seed (harvested in fall, started in the GH early winter, planted out late spring, they bloom the following year). They aren't what I'd call "prolific bloomers" until their 2nd year of bloom, though. After that, it's "Katie, bar the door" (depending on pruning practices). Fun plant!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5923858

"After that, it's "Katie, bar the door" "

Hah! Great description, StonoR!

I'll remember what you said..

Thanks!
Shoe

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America