Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Botanicals...Cut and dried!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 55, Views: 338
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5780766

What's your method!! Share AND SHOW your ideas on what you cut and dry from your garden!

I am going to start with horsetail reeds and head this thread flat out with a question -->

Does anyone have a good way to dry horsetail reeds?

I have been told, just stick them in a vase in an arrangement and let them (and the entire floral dry by just not adding water after a few days of enjoying them as fresh cuts...) ...well, I did not have a floral to arrange and was just trying to dry the reeds it ended up, I did so with (ugh!) "browning" success...but in the past I have left floral arrangements in their vases or containers to go dry and well have had some great luck with especially daffodils. The daffs will turn to paper flowers and will make a lovely dried florals even after their freshness has been spent. Mums will too!

I have cut and dried most flowers by making small field bunches and hanging them upside-down with great success.

But anyway getting back to the dilema of the horsetails, I tried to dry mine just cut and left air drying, they lost their color, and wrinkled up a tad... they turned an olive brown and I was wondering if someone knew of a better way to dry them that helps them retain their lovely green color longer! Field bunching and hanging upsidedown for these, well, I have
not been successful. While the olive bown bamboo "fossil plant look" is cool, I was looking for a method to keep their greener color longer...so, ok, any advise here anyone?

(Oh, BTW, the horsetails have a silica resin in them which makes them toxic to pets or anyone consuming them, so eating them is NOT and option, keep your kids and pets safe from these! On drying some of mine, I discovered a white residue forming on some and well, at first I thought it was mold until I did a little bit more research on this plant! )

Here they are fresh cut...pretty green aren't they!?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 15, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #5792701

It never occured to me to try drying horsetails. They are so easy to find here year round that fresh ones are always available. Have you tried drying them in silica sand or using glycerine?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #5799848

No, but funny you should mention silica because the horsetail has in it that very same chemical and that is what makes the plant toxic! When I was drying some of ours, I thought they were getting mold on them and when I looked closer, it was a cyrstal that was being emmited from the plant! LOL!! DO NOT EAT THIS PLANT! I so want to find a better way to make the color hold. The reptile brown is fine for fall arrangements, but that lovely green is what I am after!

I have tried drying other flowers heads in the silica sand. That works fairly well on some blossoms. Been a while since I have done any with that. I remember drying violets, columbines and daisys in that as a kid! Did some bridal bouquets too. Guess I will have to give it a whirl on the horstails!

I cut and hang field bunches of quite a few varieties and just hang them upsidedown to dry. That works well with peonies, yarrows, marigolds, carnations, roses, artemesias, gomphrenas to name a few.

So whats your pride and joy in the dryer?

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2008
6:28 AM

Post #5799921

I haven't dried flowers now for several years but I used to love dried hydrangeas. The darker blue/purple they were the better they held their color. I never could get the pale ones to dry without turning brown though.

I did the hanging bunches on things like lavender, yarrow and rosebuds but prefered silica sand for most flowers. I never tried the glycerine myself but loved the ones I have bought.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5800366

if they're drying fine in the vase,other than turning brown, by letting the water evaporate slow,trying adding some green food coloring. Don't know if it'll work on horsetail but I remember when I was in grade scool dying the carnations and clerey that way. Nothing ventured...nothing gain.

and no smartypants remark about how long it's been since I was in grade school...LOL Just remember I know how your mind works Toots*BSG*

Peggy
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5801595

LOL Peggy, you were in the grade right under mine were'nt you? That means it was just a couple of years ago because I am forever young! I remember using food color on carnations to make them different colors. My favorite was to mix red and blue coloring to get purple carnations and if you started with deep red flowers and added lots of blue they would come out almost black.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5804322

OK zany,I was expecting that out of my "old" bud BlossomBuddy but not from you...LOL. Remember the carrot tops grown in saucers of water? Ah,the simple pleasures.

I try to get my DGkids interested in gardening but I'm lucky if I get most of them outta bed before noon.My DSs youngest likes houseplants but kills them as fast as I give them to her.My DD youngest(the only one out of 6 that get's up w/ the chickens)had her owe row of patty pan squash in the garden she planted this year. Last year she helped pick peas...if you can call that help but she was having fun and it instills the love of gardening.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5805727

Peggy, at least I was nice and said you were younger than me... ***grin***

Maybe you need to get the kids into night gardening. That way they can sleep till noon and have an excuse for being up late that won't get them into trouble. The six year old sounds hopeful for the gardening gene.

Ah yes, the carrot tops went with the toothpicks in the sweet potato or avocado seed and the pineapple tops or the bean pressed against the side of a clear glass with paper towels to hold it in place so you could see it sprout and learn about how seeds turn into plants. They were simple things that many of us were shown when we were very young but they made lasting impressions on us.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5808054

was awfully nice of you to make me the younger...LOL

Ah,yes the few good memories I have from grade school. ...then it went down the drain when I went into jr.high.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5839849

LOL!!! YO P! Yooou following mee?!!! LOL!

I was laying low ready to pounce, but I know better!! I'ma getting O-so-old too ya know! Them grey hairs are well earned here and I am already parking in the handicapped zone! They dun handed me my walking cane but I am not thaaaat old to get the gold watch!! I beleive you beat me there!! So Ima behaving myself! I fully respect my elderly!

The food coloring idea sounds like a try! I can't do any more horsetails until next season, but that is a thought. The darned things get white powder on them that looks like mold, but it is probably the silica in the plant too. The reptile brown-green is oh so loverly for those arrangements needing that lizard look, but dang if there was some way to keep their beautiful green that would be awesome!

I am gonna try doing them in silica sand and try some just sunbaked like hay. Will let ya all know how things go. But I am finding, the slightest bit of moisture in them prompts that powder be it mold or the silica...

Carnations, aaaaah yes, we also used to and still do color them up with floral spray paint! Ya grab the boogers by the bud and just spray the fringes of the petals in a complimentary color...when they open they are pretty awesome! Carnations will dry fair to midlan if hung upsidown, but white will turn brown and best dried when partially open. They do ok in silica sand as well.

Here's some Artemesia silverking that was just hung in field bunches upsidown and air dried. They are a joy to dry and easy too. After they are dried we sleeve them and tie with a bow and they are ready to go! I do babysbreath, strawflowers, gomphrena and statices the same way.

Peonies are a great one to dry and that will hold their color for a good time. The pinks, reds are great as once dry they look like roses. White will turn brown. Same method, cut the stems and hang upsidown and whalah! Takes a few days to dry them in warm weather and you must do them when they are only partially open as some will open more while drying and especially if you want that rosebud look otherwise they get too loosing their petals if dried in a too open stage.

Has anyone tried using the microwave or a food dehydrator on flowers? Or the reeds??? I have heard of people doing it, but wonder what the success is!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #5840083

I dried some nigellia seeds pods and bells of Ireland.Didn't get them until they were a little passed prime but the nigella pods dried well. The B of I still had their green coloring when I cut them,I was hoping they'd hold the green once dry but they turned buff colored.That was 2 yrs ago. The nigellia still look good but the B of I are starting to shed.

I tried drying Queen Anne's Lace w/ no success either upright in a vase w/ water nor bunched and hung up side down.

I've dried a few flowers in the food dehydrantor. I picked rudbeckias just after their petals were fully opened,cut the stem off and placed them face up on the rack. Dried them w/ the vent fully open. Color held up really well but the petals withered,shrunk and twisted. Tried violas and pansies. Got a big laugh at those. They dried up into little dark specks. Couldn't even tell what they were after drying.

I'll have to try the peony. I have a white blooming plant 7-8 yrs old that blooms very well and I do cut them for fresh arrangements. Planted about 7 more peonies this passed fall. Can you dry them in the silica too?

I have yet to get hydrangeas to dry w/ color yet. May try the sand on those to.

See how well I ignored that "older than me-grey hair-walking cane"remark...LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5849698

LOL!! Well least I dint say older than dirt!! See, I am trying to behave! I can play nice with the other children I can I can I can!! LOL!

I had success with Queen Ann's but I cant remember what I did.. I think I hung them upsidedown...or maybe it was silica sand. The derned stems are so scrawny on them makes them hard to dry, that I remember!

Oh no no no on white peonies...never had success on them, hung upsidedown, they dried but turned lizard brown! The pinks on the other hand dry great! Maybe silica sand on the whites would be a better choice.

Here is one of my end of summer "pick it and plunk it in a vase" drieds...there is yarrow, miscanthus, gaillardias, ruds, asters, qwaking oats, golden rods... it held its colors great for a few months

I have hung asters, gaillardias, ruds and daisys up and had some success. gotta watch the humidity though on someof those summer days with them.. just as you think they are dry and flip them to use they can get bent necks.

The best for drying in a vase are daffs! I will just put the fresh cuts in water and let the water evaporate and these lovelys always make great paperflowers! Hold their color faily well too.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2008
11:02 AM

Post #5850192

You forget I've known you for a while...your just being nice now cause Santa may be watching...LOL

Those are lovely.

I hung the QAL upside down from the rafter in the living room. The flowers all kinda bunched together as they dried so I didn't have that nice open flat head once they were dry. I'll have to get some silica for next year and start experimenting.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5856296

Had to be the sillysand... I remember I had nice open blossoms on the QAL.

Or how about this.. take the QAL when they are all brown and dried natural in the field then spray them henny color ya want!

Yeah, yer right...I am behaving... GOD knows I am trying to stay on the path of righteousness! But ...hehehehe! I gotta get my *grins* now and again ya know!

Well herez on of my topiarys completely made of dry flowers...would you beleive this thing is oh about 12 years old and its holding its color pretty well. I have not had it in the sun and usually keep a sleeve on it to keep the dustmonsters off of it...I have had some of my creations fade and I am going to try spraying them with gold paint just for grins to see what it looks like,

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5856627

BLOSSOMBUDDY, 12 years! That is amazing to have the colors stay so long. I had some hydrangeas that lasted for about 5 years but then the new puppy decided to tear them up all over the house lol it looked like we were walking on potpouri when she was done.

I do have a question for you though... Why are you trying to be so good here on DG? I don't think Santa has time to read the forums with all the mail he gets this time of year...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5872623

Being good!! LOL! That was a personal to P!! Her and I go way back... we get a rise out of teasing the tarfeathers out of each other! Lifes short ya know! Gotta get the grins in while ya can!

So how do you dry your "drangeas"! I have always wanted a blue flowering bush, but so far have yet to obtain one...the whites go brown as far as I have seen...but still interesting for filler! Just cut them off the bush after nature takes her course?

This fall arrangement has some wild oats. I just put them from the field into the arrangement and let the air dry that way. I love combining the silks with the drys!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5872643

Oh, too, in that same fall arrangement with the oats... the coronation gold achileas.. those were hung upside-down then put in the arrangement...
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2008
4:38 AM

Post #5873274

I have done purple, pink and blue hydrangea by just letting them stay in a vase with about an inch of water and letting the water evaporate. They do great in a cool area away from the heater vents but not so well in a well heated room so I usually leave them on a shelf in the back laundry area that is unheated. I've never had a white hydrangea but it seems like most white flowers other than baby's breath turn brown.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5876421

OOOOOOoooOOOH! LOL! Show pics if you have them I would love to see the "drangeas"! *beg*!!

I have had white asters dry ok in the ahng them upsidesown department. You can leave them in a vase too and let the water evaporate. Daisys are fickle, the petals shrink or fall off.

Have you tried lavenders? I cant get those to grow here.

Laitris on the otherhand does good here.. dried them in the vase and they hold their color fair.

Golden rod here is rampant.. it dries very well either hung upsidown or in the vase.

Been doing miscanthus grasses.. this is ambrosia grass...nice plumes, but they do shed some.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5876474

Sorry, but The pup destroyed all the hydrangeas in the house and I never thought to take pictures. Interesting that the white asters work though. I may have to buy some to try since I have not planted a garden since we moved other than a handful of potted plants that I managed to keep.

I never tried Goldenrod. That sounds like it would do well. As for the grasses, the invasive pampas grass is everywhere here so if I want it I just hack some down. I never got around to growing any ornamental grasses. Yours sure look nice!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5895224

Well, that is miscanthus "ambrosia" and it clumps pretty nice. Cut it in the fall and no more that to do but stick it in the arrangement.

Pampas grass is not my zone...Does the pink hold its color for a dried?

Be an idea to trade drieds maybe one day!!

I have miscanthus gigantus too. It is not as fast growing as I thought. But I put that stuff against my neighbs ugly privacy fence and it got rid of their ugly! Short of putting the great wall of China there, it was the best I could do. Those people take care of nothing well and well, it was such an eyesore. It gets reallly tall.. about 12-15 feet. Its the one that the farmers are beginning to plant for a fuel source.

These two grasses do shed just a little, but not too bad.
Put a little hairspray on them and they hold better. Hairspray on cattails do the trick too, but if you get the cats too late, they bust open and its all over but the crying. Fuzzies everywhere!

I want to get a clump of that maidenhair grass. It grows rampant out here, but the plumes are huge and gorgeous.. I keep saying, ooooh just a little clump...just hope it does not invade too fast!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5936897

Been enjoying your dried flower arrangements Blossombuddy, Thank you!
12 years, that is an amaising topiary!!
I have a box of dried stuff, it just looks brown and dead, lol!
I'm thinking of spraying them to bring back some colour, have you tried that?
I like to mix dried with fresh sometimes.

Thumbnail by terriculture

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5938384

Thanks Terriculture! I love mixing drys with fresh.

My secret in that topiary I think was keepign it with a cover on it. I used a sleeve from a bunch of fresh flowers and it happened to fit it perfectly so the light was filtered to it.

I was thinking about trying to spray paint a couple of my dried wreaths like in either silver or gold to see how that would work to give them that metalic Victorian look!

I think the heat and humidity just reaks havoc on some of the colors.

I have a small heart wreath that just might make my first victim on that.. its colors are faded...the colors used to be as brit as the picture and now are horrid...so will see how that turns out...

Well, here is the before shot...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 29, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5939922

Your heart wreath is lovely, it's dried well with the flowers still intact.
Looking forward to seeing the make over !!!

I wonder if food colouring would work painted on with a little brush?
The floral colour sprays are just too expensive! might get some car spray LOL! hey the flowers are dead anyway!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5948363

Metalic car spray...hmmmm now that just might give it the antique look!! Silver, gold...hmmm.. I am leaning on the gold here...

LOL! As soon as I get a can will pop the makeover up and let you all kow hte rest of the story onthe heart wreath! The poor thing was prettier in its hey day!

This double heart is about 12-13 years old...now why it held its color better than that little smaller one.. heck if I know... its dusty, but could do a re-do or put the thing outside. Both were made at about the same time...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 2, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #5958028

Nice heart, what is the outer ring made with?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #5958132

Terriculture, those are pre-made straw heart wreath bases. The little heart was looking the same until the flowers were attatched!

I'm still looking for the gold paint!! Hehehehe! How about a silver chenelle bow if it gets done to where it looks ok after painting! You know it will be a first!

So ok, speaking of bows... oh, no, is that another thread? I am a sucker for pull bows, but have made them by hand too sometimes with not much success...so got any hints???
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 4, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #5962614

Don't think we have a thread for bows! No tips or hints from me, I'm rubbish at bows lol!

Did you find the gold paint yet? silver bows sound cool.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #5968589

Well I have an instruction sheet for bows...somewhere.. maybe I can post some make shift directions on a new thread. I am dying to try the bowdabras that I got last fall. Right now I have a pile up of pre-made bows that I should use before I get to making any more.

No, still hunting for the gold paint. Maybe the mechanic has some...I have to go there today anyway, our truck broke down so I am in {{{fine}}} shape for the new year. Hmmm is this an omen...seems I started 08 the same way with vehicle probs!

Ok, well soon as I get some paint, will share!

On the terms of dries...hmmm was wondering if there was a thread too on potpouri? Well, if not, guess we can keep it here!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #5973575

Hope your truck behaves itself for the rest of 2009!

I do have some potpouri somewhere. I know I have some clear vases with potpouri and dried flowers in them. I'll look for them, might take a while... LoL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #5974562

Well, I am good for the dry part.. but what about the essential oils and how to use them? Someone is gonna have to take that thread!!

Baaad truck...grrrr...still in for repairs...so no go on getting any metalic paint today.. drat!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6080613

Well, the metalic paint thing got set aside.. the DH was ill this week so had to put a lot of my pet projects on the back burner.

Anyway, today terriculture gave me a great a great suggestion. She made a flower arrangement on the vases and containers thread that used tin tin. Well, here I cannot get tin tin so she suggested to take bear grass and wrap it around a broom stick and let it dry. Im thinking this might work with cat tail leaves, bamboo and other grasses! Or for a bigger curl wrap it around a can!

Maybe terriculture could post her pic of her arrangement here to share what tin tin looks like!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6085797

Looks like we will be having some guests from the POTPOURI group! Come on in and join us!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6085799

Found you all--Thanks Blossom!

Have to hit the sack for now--with catch up another time.

Gita
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6096636

Oops! Sorry about the delay Blossom! I'll get the tin tin out and take some pics, back later with those!
In the mean time, here's the arrangement with fresh Roses, Tulips and dried tin tin.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6096639

a closer look...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6096654

Hi Gitagal, welcome!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6096895

Thanks,

Blossom tracked me down in the Crafts Forum. I imagine she searched for Potpourri??

I do not do anything special, or spectacular, but I do dry all kinds of flower petals from my garden every year. You'll be surprised how much there can be had!
I do not dry whole flower heads--nor do I hang them to dry--I simply take off/apart all the petals as they are soon to "expire" and dry them on big, flat wicker trays. In the Spring--starting with Roses and Peonies--and all through the summer with all kinds of other stuff.

In the Fall--there are Mophead blooms that are turning a beautiful maroon (I cut apart all the individual little flowers), annuals & perennials that are on their last leg--like Salvias, Mums, Marigolds, Ageratum clusters, drying up Brugmansia blooms (they keep their colors wonderfully), colorful foliage of plants--like coleus (cut them apart), Caladiums, top parts of Dusty Millers, Persian Shield, etc...
Seed pods from flowers like--Rose Campion, Columbines, and so on. If I lived near some scrub meadows--I would go looking for other seed pods among the weeds, but I do not, so my potpourri has almost NO fillers in it.

Once you have done this for a few years, you will see what dries and keeps it's color and what does not. As noted above--no white petals look great when dried, and flowers that have a high water content (Impatiens, Begonias, etc.) do not dry well at all.

I grow Straw Flowers and Gomphrenas (Globe Amaranth) just for collecting for my Potpourri. They need no drying...

Anyway--I store ALL the huge amounts of dried flower petals in a large tote. When I run out of room--I make potpourri balls/pompadours.
I buy pretty lace curtains at Thrift Stores and cut them up in approx. 10"x10" squares. Line each square with another piece of the fine bridal tulle (keeps the chaff in) and fill each with a big hand-full of the dried flowers. Then I tie it off with some spool ribbons and glue a small silk flower to the center of the bow. Done!

When it is time to give these as a gift--or sell some (don't do that much...)--I scent them with Potpourri Oil using a bamboo skewer dipped into the oil and then poked all through the sachet. To keep the scent "in"--I store them in plastic bags.

Here's the "works" from just a few weeks ago.
The tote on the chair is from past years--the bag on the table is just from this past Summer. Lots--NO? The lace curtain is what will get cut up. This was my "mission" a few Sundays ago. Worked on it all day and made 45 balls. That's how many squares I got out of this one-panel lace curtain.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6096899

Here is a pile of the finished "balls"...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6096916

This shot is from 2006, but it shows the potpourri balls a bit clearer.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6096957

Here's my wicker tray (these are about 2 1/2' diam.) filled with dried petals--almost all of them from cutting apart all the Hydrangea bloom-heads and cutting apart all the leaves of my colorful Sun Coleus last Fall.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6096973

Did this Sun Coleus-leaf sunburst arrangement before I took the scissors to them all.
They were just too pretty not to do something first with.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6096989

That's it for pictures...

Just as another thought--if any of you grow large amounts of Herbs or mints--you can add the leaves from all of those to the mix too. There are many plants in the Mint family!

I wish I had Lavender...That would really smell good!

If any of you have any more questions re making these--I will be glad to help.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6097090

Hi Gitagal,
Thank you for all these great ideas! It has certainly given me the inspiration to find my box of dried flowers, I put away thinking they might come in handy sometime!!
Stunning coleus arrangement with the orange background!
The potpourri balls look lovely.

You dry the petals on a wicker tray, do you put tissue on the tray first?
Thanks for the tips with herbs also!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6097124

Gitagal, those are awesome! Perhaps someone has lavender and or other materials that could be traded for either cut or dried! I cant grow lavenders to save my soul. I got spots too wet here and very poor soil! I would be game to trade if I had anything to offer, but right now, I don't.

Well, will check back here later. Speaking of too wet.. well, thats another thread... I am off to the Cafe for some hot cocoa.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6097160

terri--

NO! I di not put anything under the petals. That way, air can get in through the bottom part also. I mix them now and then too. Sometimes I just use a shallow cardboard box.

If it isn't too humid (that can be nasty here!)--I just leave the trays outside under my patio roof. If there is a slight breeze--and a hot day--they might all dry within 3-4 days.
A brick in the center of the tray or box will keep it from blowing away.

If the weather is dripping humid--or if it is raining--I take the trays inside.
If these picked petals get damp--they will all just rot!

Our weather here can be horribly hot and humid most of the summer. Like--95* hot--and 80% humidity. Nights do not cool off either. Often we have no rain for a month--so a lot of sprinkling goes on. Lots of Fungus on lots of plants because of this.
Down ONLY to the mid-70's or 80's is normal in the nights. That is why I think gardens here struggle so, they just don't get to take a cool, respite period--compared to areas where there is a lot of rain and cool nights--like the states of Washington and Oregon. Their gardens are spectacular!

If your saved petals are all completely dry--they all might just crumble as you gather them in your hands...Have you thought of filling a huge glass vase, or a decorative container, with your dried flowers? Just to look at?

Ciao! Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6097165

Blossom--Where do you live? There is no town/Country under your name?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6097453

I didn't realise that about the air circulation, I thought the tissue would help to draw out the moisture!
Yes, my drieds will be completely dry!! they probably will crumble (hadn't thought of that)!
I'm sure I can find something to do with them now, Thanks Gita!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6146659

Here's the dried tin tin, one bundle!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6146667

One bundle and one bundle opened out!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6147484

Cool! Terri Can you show us the how to on the broom method you mentioned using other grasses please!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6350402

Ok, its that time of year and folks are cutting daffodils by the score! I find to dry them, just make a fresh flower arrangement with them or put them in a vase, do add water to enjoy them fresh for a few days and then forget about them. Left the water dry up, let the daffs dry out and whalah, paper flowers.

Some flowers to use that will dry good the same way are freesia, lily of the valley, hyacinths, roses.. I am sure there are others, but thats just off the top of my head for now.

These shown below are not fully dry, but getting there. They hold their color for a while, so if "paper" flowers are your thing.. there ya go!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6808119

Grasses and Lavender ...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6808489

Cool!

I have not done any drieds,,, to busy weeding and mowing and this and that, but no drieds for now.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 12, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6810122

Thanks!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6811889

yw!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America