-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5781856

A new thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/920597

Chele, do all the kids like beans? I was going to say, chili you could make veggie and with meat. Howie and I do a lot of easy beans and rice dishes using brown rice (more fiber and more satisfying), beans, sauteed onions, canned diced tomatoes, and spices. I'll make up a big batch and we'll have it for meals the next few days. We're just trying to please the two of us, and neither of us minds eating the same thing if it's good. Sometimes we'll freeze the leftovers into portion sizes and have them on hand for quick meals later.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5781880

Nice shot Kimberley! Those are the sort of barn pictures I liked to paint back "in the day" LOL

Busy day for me today - routine Dr. appt. then off to work early. A co-worker's young child is having seizures, so I am going in to help out since he will be off today while his child is having tests.

Everyone have a great day!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5782351

Are we posting on this one now?? I'm lost lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5782633

Neal do they do Vanilla Beans there?

Ric

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5782694

Ohhhh good timing...Neal could you pick up some basil and oregano for me?

Let me know how much and I'll get it in the mail ASAP!!

Thanks.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5782909

Forgot we made a new thread. Neal made the cover!

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5783295

Yes Carolyn this is the one

Marcy or whomever...I would like to know what to
spray on brugs when they get spidermites.?
Sprayed mine down with dawn and water before I brought them in.
Now they have webs on them.
This is my first year bringing in the whole plant.
Last year I cut them down in pieces
and rooted them.

Pauletta
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 12, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5783342

You are a bad, bad, boy and I bet Neal's payback will be sweet!!!

Been a little busy here for a while. MIL has been in the hospital twice in the last three weeks with an infection that they can't seem to locate. At first they thought it was pneumonia but the CXR came back pretty clean. They sent her home and she spiked a fever and started vomiting etc. We went back on Monday. Now they think it could be bladder or an intestinal infection. She dehydrates easily as she's just 90 lbs and is missing her colon from prior cancer surgery anyway so any time she's sick anymore it turns dicey from the hydration perspective.

We have gotten a couple loads of wood cut and on the porch. Fortunately just in time for the weekend. For once I won't HAVE to cut wood in the rain and snow. It looks like it's going to be a cold nasty market on Saturday...

Janet

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008 3:25 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5783517

OMG, George, that's hysterical! You're killing me, man
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5783586

I want a signed copy, Neal! LOL, George that photo program looks like fun.
Chele, how many of the girls know how to cook? My ex was cooking when he was five and had to stand on a stepstool to reach the stove, so it's not to early for them to learn.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5783646

I had a little help with that one. Gemini's you will find have a sometimes warped humor about us!

I want to write a little something that I thought of last night while thinking of recent post and some of the struggles people are having. I read some of my post and felt they might be scene as bragging. While others are just trying to keep food on the table.

Most of you know we live on fixed incomes here from heart related and other problems. When I worked we were a 75 grand a year household. New cars, furniture, jewelry the works. Never a thought to buying groceries or taking kids on outings or mini vacations. Then my life and Jeff's came to a screeching halt. No more work. Living on 401k and small jobs. We went from 75 grand to less then 15grand in a matter of months. We ate lots of tuna casseroles and soups to keep kids feed and still pay bills. We watched cars get repossessed, jewelry sold for pennies on what we paid You get the picture. One Christmas I sold my whole antique toy collection just to have something for the kids. Those old John deer metal pieces hurt most to ship.

We lived like this for about 2-3 years then disability kicked in and we saw a light at the end of the tunnel. We left our home due to all the repairs it needed and moved here to morehead. Over the last 2 years my health got better. Jeff started working again and things got even better. We actually had money saved(not much, but the first time in a few years) We had not had any new furniture or electronic toys in years, so we bought some things. I spent extra money on the gardens. Things I could not afford for years. Like a simple hanging basket.

I am not writing this to make anyone feel sorry for us. Just wanted to explain why I get so excited when I get new plants or a greenhouse built. I live in my opinion a pure piece of heaven here and thank the creator every day for what It has given me. I consider you all good friends. Writing over the internet can sometimes come out different then the intended way. I know how humbling it can be to ask for help from agencies i used to use to help other people and get recognized by those workers. I know what the inside of a food bank looks like. I pray for all you all struggling right now to know my heart goes out to you. When I lost my job. My world crumbled.

Well prob more than any of you wanted to know about me, but it was bugging me and I had to tell you my friends.
George
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5783902

Hi everyone.
Hey Pauletta...about the spider mites. What you are doing with the Dawn dish soap is about the best thing you can do. Spray them frequently and check them daily...especially underneath the leave. Spider mites are determined little devils. You can also use insecticides...but they say mites become immune to them really fast...and next year you will have a resistant strain of them. With brugs...it is best to hose them down GOOD...before you bring them inside...and then keep a close eye on them.
Neal...received the seeds today...THANK YOU!!! Gonna look see what I can find for you! LOVE the picture...lol!!!
I made mango salsa with grilled chicken breasts tonight. I bought two beautiful mangos...uh...that is...they were beautiful on the outside! They were half rotten on the inside! Good thing I bought two, because the recipe only called for one. I had to use both to get enough...and even then, they just aren't real good. Not juicy even. I was disgusted. But the salsa wasn't half bad...lol!! Had pineapple, red pepper, green onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and sauced with lime juice and honey. The chicken breasts were marinated in lime juice and olive oil, salt, pepper. Same thing for supper tomorrow night...lol!
I went to Walmart after my therapy, and WALKED around the grocery, pushing a cart! First time. It was slow, and I wasn't there long, but I did it!
George...I am sure you were devastated...losing your job. I just hate seeing what is happening in our world today. It could happen to ANY of us...as I think we all know. I certainly don't think any less of anyone who has to have assistance because of a job loss or our economy.
We are retired here...BUT...our insurance could very well be on it's way out, since Dave retired from Chrysler. And that would be very devastating! Nothing we can do to stop it though.
My brother...who is 70 yrs old...had to go to work full time...just to pay for health insurance for he and his wife...because his company ended his. I wish Dave would stop working at the grocery, but as he says...now is NOT the time to be quitting a job...even for him.
Well...going to watch the Country Music Awards show tonight. I hope you all have a good evening!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5784050

Geo i think we all know you and would never think you as bragging, please don't worry about it . Thank you for being very kind to be so considerate of others . :) . Times are hard right now for alot of people. Its hard to know what to say at times.
Heck i have been homeless !!! well i lived in my 1979 chevy camaro ! lollll i thought i was sooo cool driving that thing. sheesh.
Well on a side note. Got the brakes fixed , then a tire fixed .
got dinner on the table and kids bathed. Not to exciting. I did get my hair done , yeah no more grey !!! for the next 5 weeks. LOLLL
Raining here.
hope everyone stays dry and warm
If anyone needs firewood ? let me know .
jYeah Marcy good for you !
good night everyone
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5784628

George we know you speak from Pride not Brag.
And not Prideful either ... there IS a big difference.

The big sale at NCE is tomorrow.
I'm sure Robyn will kill them...LOL!

BTW The 2009 Cincy Flower Show in April will NOT be at Coney this year.
Symmes Township Park

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5784645

Neal, Congratulations on the Award! ;-)

George, Thank you for sharing that story and showing that there is a light at the end of tunnel. Most of us have been there at some point in our lives, for one reason or another. It is devastating and humiliating to have to ask for help, but thankfully it is there when you can get through the red tape. I've also had some rough times in both my childhood and my adult life. I was the oldest of 4 kids and after I left home and came back to visit, it was heart breaking to hear my mother apologize for not being able to give me as much before I left as they then could to my 3 younger brothers. I never did get everything I wanted or thought I HAD to have as a teenager, but I never felt like we were poor. I look at my 2 oldest granddaughters now and know that they have no idea what being broke is. Heaven forbid, they wear thrift store clothes or have to wonder where their next meal is coming from. After being a single mom myself for 7 years, I'm afraid to ask how my ex-DIL manages.

Anyway, on a brighter note...we're getting lots of much needed rain and it was 58* today! WhooHoo!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5784700

Thank You Kimberley for the new Thread...I meant to get it this morning, but was running a little behind...
I took Earl down to dialysis this morning, and he was in agony from pain... after about 20 minutes in the van, I smelled something I haven't smelled since Vietnam...and I was furious...I dropped him off and kissed him goodbye and told him I loved him...Then I took off for Harrod, OH and got George and took him to the VA...3 1/2 hr round trip...I parked the Wheelie, and went to the Advocates office and *Cut loose*.. I was in full Colonel mode...One of my babies was in trouble and needed help... Earl was brought from Fairborn Dialysis to the VA ER by Ambulance, and admitted to the 5N unit...and I was there waiting...I made one short run while they got him cleaned up and upstairs, and I was back in a flash...I checked on him to be sure he had pain meds, and he wasn't ready to kill me...I got another hug and a kiss from a legless old 88 yr old WW2 Black American Vet, and told that he loved me...Yeah, well that goes double from me Bro!! Took George back to Harrod in the rain, and came back to check on Earl on the way to the barn...He was all cleaned up in clean jammies and sitting up in bed watching TV and eating his dessert...I gave him a smootch and went on in to fuel up and turn in my paperwork...
First pickup in the morning is at Waynesville, so I left the wheelie and drove my car home...Now I gotta go back down to Urbana and get propane...When I get back, I am going to hit my bathtub, and wash my hair and soak, and hopefully not fall asleep and drown myself...

Neal dearling, I got my seeds today too...Hopefully they and I will both have a new home soon...

Way to go Marcy!!!!

Take care and stay dry and warm everyone!!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5784719

Thanks Marcy
I will just keep on doing the dawn and water.

~~~~~~~~~~~ to everyone
Pauletta
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #5784977

Good evening folks, we got back late this afternoon, and I found out that the day of the vacation start wasn't my fault!! Whew, thought I was loosing my mind. DTS made the reservations, the first hotel she booked us in, she found out was a no smoking facility. So she booked another reservation, but could get us in on Monday. She forgot to tell me, so wasn't my fault for not being ready for it.

I have laughed at the antics here, George payback is he double toothpicks, and I think you have it coming. Don't worry about what anybody here thinks, I for one am very blessed not to have had any issues that would make me seek a food kitchen. Close, but not actually there.

Chele, I think you do a marvelous job of feeding the family with a lean budget, and so what if somebody doesn't like something, tell them the kitchen is theirs.

msrobin, you are being modest when you say you don't have talent. I saw your portfolio at the KY RU, and your painted furniture is exquisite!!

Marcy, OMG, walking in Walmart. Now don't be silly, use the carts when you need them.

Janet, wondering where you were. Sure hope that DMIL is doing okay at this point in time. We are struggling with the same issues, my DMIL is in and out of the hospital several times a month. Congestive heart failure, and it isn't gonna get better for a 90 year old.

Carolyn, the cheese cake doesn't looke great, but bet it is good tasting. I love cheesecake of any kind, and it is my only concession to eating sweets.

Sue, bless your heart, tell the DH to lay off, you have dealt with everything while he was gone, and life will go on, even with a high gas bill.

Dusty, hope that your vet friend is getting good care, and that he appreciates you getting into your "higher up officer mode" on his behalf. Hope that you have things settled soon and are able to get moved before full blown winter is upon us.

Neil, I came home to an envelope with seeds in it. I will be looking through my seeds and sending something special for you.

kimberly, yep, great name for the web sit. While we were gone, I noticed a store that had nothing but scrapbooking supplies, and all marked down considerably. Had I know what you wanted/needed, I could have purchased a bit for you.

Darius, young adults don't actually have personality skills until about 30 yrs of age. So hang in there, and if you don't get arrested for murder at a future date, she may become a decent human being!! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us. I know lots about several things, but not a whole lot about anything!! Does that make sense?

Sorry Paulette, I don't do brugs, so no help from this corner of Ky.

Well, I am still trying to read and catch up on several threads, so will join you again daily tomorrow.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5785010

Welcome back Home Bons...You were misssed... Didja remember to buy me some white Chocolate this year??? Rofllllll
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5785019

Dusty, I don't do chocolate, so sorry none coming your way!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #5785029

Awwwwwwww Bons... we discussed this 3 yrs ago... Its the WHITE one !!! LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #5785060

Neal, seeds came today... Thanks!

Dusty, you did good! Hooray that some folks care about our Vets. All 3 of my half-brothers are Vets. The oldest is on 100% disability from 'Nam and is a very vocal advocate for many of his friends who have no one else to look after them.

George, we all have been THERE, or perhaps might be... I'm having to plan on doing something else myself, just don't know what yet. My social security check just dropped about 20% (to pay Medicare Parts B & D) because my annual evaluation in October now puts my income $5 over the Federal Poverty Line for any assistance. With terminal liver disease and COPD, I cannot work even if local jobs were available or anyone would hire a 68 year old woman. Life seems the pits sometimes but I'm blessed with a beautiful yard to work with/on, and LOTS of friends. Plus I get to sleep inside, out of the cold and rain! :)

Y'all sleep tight...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #5785246

It was tight when mom and dad split up. I remember a lot of Hamburger Helper and spam. :)

Howie and I started tackling the office when he got home from work. We can see the floor! The wrought iron and wood stand for that extra 55-gallon fishtank I got at a yard sale last summer is the perfect thing for our TV and electronics. We put it in front of the fireplace, right on the stone hearth. I just have to finish up sorting through some papers tomorrow and straightening up. Howie will vacuum. My friend Jenni is coming over to scrapbook with me after she gets off work, so motivation is high! LOL

Here's the latest in our geeky lives:
http://www.gardenwife.com/nerd-love-barcode-reader-app-for-g1
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5785701

Well, I fell off the planet yesterday! I put on some laundry, went to my room and turned on Lifetime and sat in my bed making barrettes on my makeshift work table. Some silly lady asked me for 12 then changed it to 20. LOL I love ya! You know who you are. LOL Kristenne was home sick and we got a call around 11:20 to pick up Jazzi because she was projectile in the office. Yay.

George, thank you for that post. When you are at the bottom, it often feels like you are alone. I've had many kind dmails, emails and shows of support. I know I'm not alone but I'll sure be glad to be climbing out of the tunnel and back to being able to help others again. I was reading posts on a local TV station website about how the economy is affecting people. There are posts there rivaling anything I am going through. It's tough for many right now-people losing homes, thinking of giving their babies up for adoption, job loss, inability to pay bills, buy food, etc. I hope things turn around soon.

Kimberley, thank you for that soccer note! I saw it on the news site today. I was like, "that name looks familiar, like Kimberley, oh it is!". LOL

On lower notes, I was reading the prayer forum. Marsue has been known to pop in and post here. Sweet lady! I just read that she lost her husband. Also Dovey, I know you posted about your new grandson Ethan, but I didn't know he was struggling. I'm very happy that I read he is doing much better. I hope he gets to go home soon! I'm glad you get to fly out in a few days! Hopefully he will be home where you can get in all the love and snuggling you can take. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5785788

off to the ellipitcal torture machine and will be back to post later
just wanna say
Bless you all and have a great day
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5785797

Joyce, gotcha on the list for your herbs :-)

Ric, they do have vanilla beans, and I think the last time I got them they were about $1 each- I need to pic some up too. I'll give them a call a little later and find out the price for sure.

Gotta run, have an appointment this morning. Will check in when I get back.
Have a great morning everybody!
Neal
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5785802

Oh, and glad everybody's getting their seeds.
Darius, got yours yesterday too. Thanks!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5785824

Goodmorning, All! Hope everyone is doing well!

Welcome back, Bonnie! Thank you for the nice compliment!

Chele, you are definitely among friends and very much loved!

Neal, how often do you go tro the coop and do they have spices and herbs all the time?

Just wanted to pop in for a few minutes before I get busy.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5785897

I forgot to mention...hubby's phone rang yesterday which it does not do too often. Remember the job he interviewed for? The one that had a four interview process...Well, they thought he did very well and the interviewer really liked him. Unfortunately, they also had an inside candidate that they decided to give the job. BUT, they are also trying to figure out how to open up a second position so they can hire him too. It's not a job but it's something!

People have been asking about it so I figured I should report. It took them nearly two months to do all four interviews! I just looked at the calender. The last interview was on October 16th and they just called yesterday!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5785974

Morning all.

Thanks for your thoughfulness, Neal. Got the seeds yesterday as well!

I have some brug cuttings that a friend from GA sent me. Way too many for me to keep. I have a NOID white, NOID yellow and Isabella. If anyone wants some, I will be glad to send them to you. I do have the Frosty Pink for you Neal and Dusty, They are just now starting to get their white nubbies.

Always feels better to know you aren't alone in your struggles of whatever kind. Praying for you all as always.

Love you!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5786227

(popping my head in...) Brrr!!! (popping back to warm Texas to get a sweater...)(popping back in again...) Hi, everyone! ^_^

Yayyy! about Craig's phone call!! I sure hope that comes through for him - quickly! Is that job near you? I'm sorry Kristenne AND Jazzi were sick.. poor bunnies. I sure hope the rest of your crew stays healthy and doesn't pass it on to you. We have food challenges, too, so I sympathize with your menu dilemmas. Thanks for the barrettes!! ;-)

George, you're very sweet and encouraging. Thank you for sharing your story. :-) And you'd better run, cuz Miss Sewage Monthly is right behind you with his plunger.

Kimberley, my dh loved your newest blog post! We use cheap little pay-as-you-go phones that we can refill for $20 a month (or less), so they can't do anything so fancy; but he used a Cue Cat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat) at his old job, and has been looking for excuses ever since to use them for ... well, anything. Cuz he thinks they are fun. LOL

Sue, are the gas bills so high cuz you're still paying the deposit for getting it hooked up? We had to do that, too, and it was a pain at the time. But a year later they paid our deposit back - well, they credited our account for that amount, and we didn't have a gas bill at all for several months. It was really nice! Hopefully it will work out that way for you, too. :-)

Dusty, I'm so glad you were there for Earl yesterday. :-) Your boys (and girls, too!) are going to miss you when you move to Michigan.

Ok, it's cold up here in the frozen north... I'm outta here. Waves and hugs to all of you! Come visit us in toasty Texas! (((((((((((((ORVG friends)))))))))))))))))) (pop)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5786278

Good morning everyone.
Neal...I would be interested in vanilla bean also.
Chele...wow...here is hoping something comes through for Craig! Sorry the girls are sick. Hope they feel better soon.
Thanks for telling about Marsue. That is so sad. He had been ill for a while I know. And she is not in the best of health herself.
Dovey...glad you are getting to go see that grandson. Prayers for his continuing improvement.
Not much going on here today. Have to clean bathrooms...ugh! Then not sure what I will get into?
We did get some much needed rain last night. About time!!
Did I ever tell you guys I have a cat that absolutely LOVES the rain???? Yep! She went out when it started about supper time...and didn't make any attempt to come in until around 11 pm. And there is NOWHERE for her to stay dry out there, as the barn and garage were shut up. She looked like a drowned rat! She came in...lays down on the rug at the kitchen sink...rolls over...and waits to be dried with a towel...lol! Crazy cat! But...I guess there are other cats that like water too. My brother had a cat that would jump into their in ground pool. He loved to swim!!
Ok...my little tidbit of the day...lol.
I hope you all have a good one!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5786324

Miracles DO happen, 'Chele... hang in there!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5786398

Think it'll help if I change my name to Virginia? LOL

The water company was just here to shut off my water. Grrr. Thank goodness for a small company. He gave me a card and told me to call the water company and said he was calling in too. I asked for the girl I normally talk to. Somehow it had gotten past her and she said not to worry about it. I wrote a check anyway to pop in the mail later today.

One thing I don't understand. In the city, our bill was 2/3 sewage. Our worst bill was usually the summer bill and the bills were quarterly. The summer bill would be about $140 for three months and they prorated sewage because they figured you were using sprinklers, filling pools, watering gardens, etc and now putting it down a drain.

How can my water bill here, run $130 a month during the summer? We are on septic with no sewer system.

I'm also still trying to get help with the electric. The local charity will help one time but they were tapped out last month. The community action group will also help one time but only if the charity helps. It's a lot of hoops to jump through!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5786425

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere dear. You need to check it.

turn off all your water and your hoses around the house. the go to the meter and see if it is still showing water being used. the numbers should stay still if your not using any water at the moment. If they are still moving then you have a leak.

If you do have a leak you will need to figure out if it is on your end or the city's.

My water bill runs around $80 a month due to being on city sewer. My mother is not in the city but 8 miles down the road and she has a septic tank, hers only runs about 20 a month!

I cannot imagine why yours would be so high other than a leak somewhere.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5786447

Nope. In the winter, it goes down to about $55 a month. The first two years we lived here, it was higher. We have no idea how long the leak (listed below) had been leaking before it blew.

We did have a major leak last year. Then we had a big fiasco with the home insurance. In the end, they originally had used a 5 cent fitting on the main water line. It busted. We were losing one gallon a minute according to the meter.

When water is running anywhere attached to the house, I can hear it in the laundry room. That is where the main line comes in. Both hoses are off too. We only turn the rear one on long enough to get the chickens water then back off again. Too many cars driving on the hose-it busts all the time. Geesh. I need to put the chickens in the front yard??? That would be ugly and smelly. hahahaha

I need to check the price again. I know the first 10,000 gallons has a set price then it's so much per block. They told me for a family of 8, our normal bill should be about $85 per month?? Very thankful for my HE washer. LOL If your mom lives alone, that would make a big difference!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5786617

Chele, I'm sorry to hear that after all those interviews, and all this time, that job went to someone else--but it's good of them to see if they can find a spot for Craig, too, and I'll be praying they do, and soon!
I worked a whole two hours today at my first job since graduating paralegal school. Yep, l have a minimum wage retail Christmas job for a few hours a week--yipeee! Oh, and another interview at a Hallmark store today, for the same. Beats nuthin', but sheesh...
Beautiful rose, Marylyn. Is that blooming now? Lucky you!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5786664

That particular bloom is from this summer, but it is blooming again now. That poor rose bush actually likes the fall/winter/early spring better than the summer because when the trees above it lose their leaves it gets more sun. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time finding a paralegal job, Renee. I know how stressful holiday retail jobs can be... mostly because of the stressed-out holiday shoppers.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5786666

I'm not looking at that rose. Makes my naked yard look worse. LOL

Yeah, crazy they took so long to just say no but at least it's still a maybe.

Congrats to you on the job! I'd be happy with a minimum wage retail job about now. I wish Kmart would just give me what I applied for NOW rather than a better job LATER. Grrr.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5786772

msrobin, yep, the co op has a big selection of herbs and spices year round at the same cheap prices. I go every few months to stock up on certain bulk items. I get all my dried beans, different kinds of rice, some pastas, and various hard to find ethnic ingredients there.

I just called about the vanilla beans, and they're $1.99 each. I'm almost positive they were cheaper, but someone told me there were issues with vanilla bean crops this year. ..Yep, just did some googling, and storms have devastated a lot of the crops, so I'm sure the price is up.

I'm not using the fake stuff, I can taste vanillin these days, yuk.

Sue, should I put ya down for some ginger, or were you able to find any? I've found the herbs from the co op to be particularly flavorful and fresh.

The curry is particularly good, and they have lemon curry powder that I love. Even friends who aren't curry fans like it- really good on chicken.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5787016

I hadn't seen the threads about Marsue or Ethan, either. Thanks for mentioning that, Chele.

I'm trying to will myself out of the recliner and into the office so I can finish sorting through papers and get stuff put away. This post sat unsent for a while! LOL I am working on the office now. Once that's done, it won't be so bad to clean it. It's not been cleaned in...Oh, I don't want to say how many months. It was just too full of stuff! We're whittling down the books and our unused household items. Feels good.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 2:50 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5787342

No on the ginger Neal but i might be interested in the lemon curry or any curry for that matter Love it
Wow Chelle. Many big ((()))) i know its hard. I really hope Craig can get somehting soon.
Marcy yuko on the bathroom. LOL i hate them also. Sheesh if i clean one my family is usually in shock ! . Most times i just pour a bit of pine sole in the toilet so it smells clean LOLLLLL
Bad day for me. Had a Menopause breakdown or a PMS crisis uhg. So i ate carbs !!! good juicy syrupy bad ones , and i felt great !! poor Dh he just doesn't know what to do. He put away the grocerys Yeah Tim. Speaking of him , he's home.
we are going to do a walk and see how a big a dumpster we need for clean up on the woods.
ttyl
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5787401

Went to the grocery, and have been doing laundry and putting away purchases. Making some progress, guess tomorrow I will clean the house, as it is DGD weekend, and she can't see that some things are still in the same place as when she left 2 weeks ago!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5787587

Kimberley - if you decide on a peppercorn mix - I would like to go in on that with you. I love the black, red, pink, green, & white peppercorn mix. I think it is milder and more flavorful than just plain black. I went all over Newark a couple weeks back looking for some. Finally found a tiny jar at Giant Eagle that is sealed in it's own mill, and I have to figure out how to get that top off to put it in my own mill. My mill makes very, very fine grind, which I like. I have a friend who used to belong to a co-op a few years ago. I got a bag of peppercorn mix from her co-op then. I think it was 8 oz. and I just used the last of it. I am not a big pepper user, but the mix pepper is what I like. My Mom is a pepper LOVER and I think she would be happy with whole pepper corns on her food! LOL I like just a hint of pepper - she likes things black with pepper!

So, if you decide to get some from Neil, perhaps we could split some, and I could come pick it up from you? If you would not mind? Or, if Neil would not mind? I would take several ounces, 6-8, as I know it keeps well, for years, in the freezer.

I am home from work today with strep throat. Blech. I have had this sore throat for a couple weeks, but not much else - no sneezing, or other cold signs. A mild fever, a bit of an ear ache. But the sore throat has been really bad. I was beginning to worry about cancer or something really bad! Had routine doctor appt. yesterday and she said strep! Will do culture, but sure looks strep! Had to go to work yesterday, as boss was 2 people short, but said I would stay home today so would not spread it around till antibiotic kicks in. Found out from him several people at work have had strep in the last few weeks. I have a class both days this weekend that cost me $150 that I can't miss - I will really feel like going! NOT! Oh, well. Maybe I will feel better by then. Dr. told me to gargle with salt water to make it feel better. Can you believe I have never gargled with anything in my life? I have an easy gag reflex and have always figured if I tried it I would - umm- make a mess of the bathroom. Have a "nasty" ear infection going in one ear too. So guess it was good I had that routine appointment yesterday.

Also got paperwork for a regular blue "permanent" (5 year) handicap plaque. Hate to think of that. There are good days when I won't need it - but there are times when I do. I "look" normal - so I am sure I will get "the eye" from people. But, if they walked in my shoes they would understand. Plus, I have a terrible time trying to carry anything with the pain in my shoulders. I am much worse in winter, and I have to be very careful not to fall, as the nerve disease I have attacks any new injuries. So I don't want to fall and give it a reason to travel to any more areas of my body. Having the blue plaque will let me park on the flat, well lit area at work in the winter. Without it, I have to walk out at night in the pitch dark, go down a hill to the parking lot... and I am terrified of falling on the snow or ice doing that. When you work 2nd shift, you always get stuck parking WAY out in the edges of the parking lot because first shift is still there when we get there... so it can be a long and very slippery walk. Scares the beejezus out of me.

Chele - good luck with Hubby's job prospect! It is about time something turns up! Where I work, they did not have an opening when I went there. They liked my qualifications, and the idea I **wanted** to work 2nd or 3rd... and made an opening for me. I think that is the best possible way to get a job! Then you know they really want you! I called up the owner, said I had 3 offers for dayshift, but really wanted nights, did he have anything. First he asked me if I was nuts. LOLOL Then said, come on over and he would talk to me. Interviewed me that night. Interviewed with my boss the next day, and was working there the day after that. I tried several times over 10 years to get in with this company! Just needed to say the right thing at the right time, with the right people having written letters of recommendation. I had been out of work for a while and was getting pretty nervous, then all these offers came in all at once. Have fingers crossed for him!

Jules
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5787656

Geez... stupid me, I forgot how many you have in your house...no wonder your bill is so high. Ours is $80 and we only have 4-5 here.

my parents only use the minimum so theirs is always cheap! I water my garden at times on mine also.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5788003

Jules, sorry to hear you're feeling so yucky, hope recovery comes quick. No problem at all to pick up some peppercorns for ya. Hmmm...may have to pick up some of the blended peppercorns for meself too :-)
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5788334

Neil - I can send $$ ahead of time, they may be pricy! Since Kimberley wanted some too - you can send to one of us - we live so close!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5788393

Never made our walk :( we had to call our gas company and get it straightend out. Today they sent us a collections notice !!!! TIm came unglued. Apparently they have a new girl doing the book keeping. Sheesh. so we got our gas bill worked out. I know he hates the idea of a gas cook top iwth an electric house. But to bad. Not giving up my gas cook top. I don't like electric .
He is getting grumpy . I might have to make him another coconut pie.
Rainy all week i see the news says.
take care everyone
good night
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5788580

Jules, sorry that you are not feeling well. Please give yourself some time to start mending. Strep is very dangerous if not taken care of.

Had a yummy supper, made some meat balls, and added them to wide noodles, with some brown gravy, green beans and a salad, with our last ripe tomato on top.

Started watching the Jonestown special, but since I have read everything written on the subject, it was just rehashing it, but with some survivors thrown in.

Read a little on my current book, and had my shower and jammies on, so needed some alone time on the computer!!

Off to check some other threads, and check my e-mail, and then off to bed. It is much warmer here tonight, so hopefully we can garner a few more moderate days, before the winter weather descends.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5788589

That's strange Bonnie?? I watched the Jonestown special the other night here? Do you know that guy...Jim Jones...was born on the closest cross road to us? Richmond- Palestine Rd. Scary! I wonder how many people are related to him around here????? Don't know of any Joneses around here though. That sure was an awful thing!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #5788670

Marcy, when it all happened, immediately the books started being written. I found it all fascinating that so many people could get so fooled by one man. How scary indeed, being that close to the actual man of renown. He started out as a well intentioned person, but something must have happened along the way to turn him into such a kook and monster.

I am listening as I work here at the computer, and DH is glued to the program. Most of it is just a rehash of what I have read, with the exception of the interviews of the survivors.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5788926

Evenin all...Finally home in one piece at 9:55...I had a late pick up that was supposed to be ready at 7:30 pm, and didn't get out until 8:05...By the time I got him home, fueled up, turned in the paperwork, here I am...I have to be in Trotwood at 6am so I brought the Wheelie home...I can go straight across I-70, and leave an hour later...Good thing, cause I'm whipped...

I can't catch up to all of you tonight... but I wanted to tell JULES , make up 1 cup hot water, add 1 tsp salt, and 2 tbls cider vinegar...Stir till dissolved...gargle as soon as tolerable warmth...If you can't gargle it, get a mouthfull and swallow it...It won't kill ya... ;-))

Sleep tight, have a great day, and I will try to catch up tomorrow night...

valrita

November 14, 2008
8:55 AM

Post #5789320

I've been reading along but I've been quiet for a while. I just wanted to thank George and everyone else for the upbeat "light at the end of the tunnel" posts. It really helps.

In the last few weeks, we found out that our house value dropped 30%, we've had two deaths in our families, and I joined the ranks of the unemployed on Halloween (scary, isn't it?). It's nice to think that it'll get better.

Since I've been so quiet, I haven't had the chance to say YAY for Chele for knowing that her little one will be a boy. That's great!

And Marcy, it really sounds like you're doing great. I like reading about each new triumph.

Carolyn, welcome! As you've figured out, this is a very special group of folks.

To all the rest, I'm still here, quietly celebrating and praying when needed as I read your posts.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5789815

Velnita, so sorry to hear such awful news on so many fronts. I know that we all will be dealing with financial issues in this economy. We got a statement yesterday from our brokerage house, and the investments have decreased by almost half this past year. Pretty soon, I suppose they will want us to pay them for holding worthless pieces of paper.

Today, is gonna be a cleaning day, have stood it as long as I can. When it bothers me, I do something about it. So will be away most of the day, or just reading and not replying.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5789882

Hi everyone
good morning
just a quickie the kids are on a 2 hr delay. grrrr i hate those.
another tire fell off the skidsteer so Dh is taking it off LOL .
Velnita so sorry about the challenges this yr for you. T&P to you and your family.
Bonnie i missed that show , bummer. I have always found it curious on his magnatude to fool people. Wow.
Here is my two cents .
Our grandparents and parents got through the great depression and those in Oh went through food rationing during the war. Right ? !
and they all made it through and life went on Right ? ! When the going gets tough , the tough get going Right !!!! So BUCK UP things will get BETTER !!!! its just a rough spot right now for the country. Economy really is tight , beans and rice times. . Think positive !! yeah i know its tough to do .
stay calm , stay focused and please be patient ! :) it will all work out in the end. :) so give the one you love a giant ((((())))))) and remember IT shall all pass in good time. .
ok that is my two cents. I thought i would give a good cheer for the team here. LOLLLL
ya'all can yell at me if you want. :)
have a great day
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5789895

Sue...our very own cheerleader... ^_^
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5789926

It's great to see you Velnita! Sorry your news isn't better. So many of us are walking in the same shoes right now. ;(

I'm off to the baby belly Dr. If you hear screaming from this part of Ohio, you will know I fired another one. LOL She should have the results of my sono by now. The tech said the baby looked to be about one pound which is a little higher than it should be. We'll see. I don't truly trust those things. Then I have to get through the whole blood pressure argument. blah blah blah

Have a great day and I'll catch ya later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5789940

Take care Chelle. Hope it goes well.
Give me an O. ...give me a R... give me a V... give me a G ...what does that spell ?!!!
whoop whoooop
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5789964

Goodmorning, Everyone!

According to the NWS, this is our last reasonably good day (high 63* with 50% chance of rain after noon) for the next week. Need to finish up cleaning up and amending the garden and getting the remaining outdoor stuff done today. Almost done...WhooHoo! DH has his shed almost completely organized and I've gone through all our closets, dressers, etc, getting rid of stuff and reorganizing. Sure feels good! Not worrying about cleaning till I finish sorting the last of it piled in a spare room. Sure don't know how 2 grown adults can accumulate so much stuff in such a small place! LOL!

Velnita, good to see you back. Sorry to hear about all the losses, though. I agree about hearing all the different stories, too. Makes us all really appreciate what we do have and know that we are not alone when we are going through rough times. Sometimes, just talking about it helps.

Dusty, hang in there! You'll be retired before you know it!

Neal, your food coop sounds wonderful!

Sue, sometimes, it's really hard to make the transition from "me" to "we" in the situation you are in. I have to bite my tongue a lot with my DH. It's a rough life when one spouse works out of town most of the time.

And Chele, the same thing applies when you and DH are together 24/7 and you have no time for yourself! LOL! I don't remember you saying anything about any stresses there, but I know how my DH gets when he's having trouble lining up a new job.

Marcy, you are amazing, in your recovery process!

Darius, hope things are going well for you!

GW, forgot to tell you that I love the barn picture!

Re: Toni, has anyone heard from her?

Everyone I din't mention by name, hope you all are doing well, too!

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5790633

Yeah, Toni, I finally checked in--your turn, Dear!
((((((((Velnita)))))))), so sorry.
About the beans and rice--hey, where I come from, that's a delicacy!! (New Orleans) Besides, they're good for your heart, right? ;p
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5791003

(((velnita)))), glad to see ya checking in. You've continually been in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Chele, earlier talking about food inspiration, I don't recall asking you about oven roasted veggies. It has become my go to method for so many things, I never thought veggies could taste so good! Potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, asparagus, whole baby green beans, snap peas, and fresh brussel sprouts are what I've tried so far, and all excellent. I coat with olive oil, add sea salt and fresh ground pepper, and roast at 450-500 for 15-20 minutes. A little lemon zest is good over asparagus, broccoli and green beans, and carrots and parsnips are great coated with a touch of maple syrup before roasting. Fresh garlic tends to burn or taste bitter roasted that hot, but garlic powder or garlic infused olive oil work. I get mixed bags of fresh veggies sometimes and roast them, then we can pick out our favorites- I was thinking something like that would be helpful for your bunch.

Oh, and a handfull of fresh rosemary tossed in with big-bite sized chunks of potatoes before roasting is awesome.

I love the image of Sue with pompoms, doing cartwheels down the aisle of her favorite greenhouse, LOL.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5791489

Neal your right about vegs and roasting them , that is the best !!! and onion with whole garlic head too. Sooo yummmy
LOL on the pom poms LOL but i think i hurt myself doing the side kicks "ouch that hurt "
cooking a whole chicken tonight and boiling some chicken breast for other stuff. I got all my pestos in the freezer. yeah. love it.
I also like to saute up green beans with soy sauce or teriyaki and some thin sliced ginger on rice . always a good one.
Kywoods LOL yeah got to love them beans and rice. Can't go wrong New Orleans style can ya ? yummmm
Chelle how did the dr go ? did you fire him/her ? hope it went well.
gonna have to finish our GH in the cold. Just not motivated to get it done .Dh did alot of it. Just got to get the cover on it and clean up on and around get stuff in it so it doesn't look like a abandoned yard sale. lol
well i hope everyone has a great night
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #5791573

No blood was shed today. LOL My blood pressure was like 128/76, the doctor was in a hurry, heard his heart beat, gave them urine and was back out the door! I LIKE that kind of appt! b I also scheduled my appts through January including my glucose test and Rhogam shot. Whew.

Then I ran to Walmart and back home. Just picked up one from basketball and taking another to a soccer party.

Tomorrow is another 5am rise and shine for state tournaments. ugh.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5791825

5 am !!!! holy guacomole Chelle !!! that is the pits. Glad the dr apt went good for you.
not much going on here.
just discoverd the new sippy cups i got for the kids don't sip !! grrrrr. They have a straw and it just don't sip ?
oh well.
good night everyone

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5791975

HEy Chelle. I was just in the parent forum and found an old thread of yours !!! LOL i read some of it . Cracked up . You were going to have t shirts made with saying on them
"yes they are all mine"
Yes i know what causes this "
" yes they are all girls " and my fav one
" No we are not trying for a BOY " !!!!!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLL
it was back in 06 Nov
I just got a kick out of it
giggling
sue
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5792051

Hmm, what would a current T-shirt say, I wonder??
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5792070

"Hope YOU are happy..this one is a boy!". LOL

5am tomorrow for more soccer tournaments. If they lose tomorrow, we are done. If they win, we play at 8am and noon on Sunday to see who gets 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the state tournament. Either way, soccer is finally over this weekend. :)

Carly has a basketball game again at 11 on the other side of the world, okay an hour away. I either won't make it or may be cutting it close.

We just got in and are headed for TV and bed.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5792375

Good evening folks, been reading some today, and trying to keep up, Did get the cleaning done, and 2 loads of laundry. Cooked a nice supper, and cleaned the kitchen. Had an item listed on ebay that ended tonight, it didn't sell. Relisted it, and then watched UK basketball and read. So that sums up my day.

Neil, in the summer especially, I like fresh garden veggies roasted with olive oil, and garlic. Fresh veggies, cooked a healthy way, almost heaven.

Chele, glad the Dr appointment went well and fast, yikes an awfully early day tomorrow, but after this weekend it will all be over.

Sue, so did you get the green house covered and things put in place. I had to chuckle about looking like an abandoned yard sale.

msrobin, do you want a job to come sort and straighten my closets? I need to do that, and it will be on a to do list for sometime this winter.

Marilyn meant to reply yesterday, you are a woos!! If that is the way it is spelled. It is not even cold here yet, and you can't bear to stick your head in to talk to us. Hehe.If you were any real friend of the ORVG group you would send us some of your warmer air. No really, great to see you.

Gonna go check out my watched threads, and check my email, and wait for the DGD to come home from a friend's house. Should be here in about 20 minutes.

Good night everybody.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5792469

[quote]Marilyn meant to reply yesterday, you are a woos!! If that is the way it is spelled. It is not even cold here yet, and you can't bear to stick your head in to talk to us. Hehe.If you were any real friend of the ORVG group you would send us some of your warmer air. No really, great to see you.[/quote]

Hi, Bonnie! LOL Yep, I'm a woos (or however you spell it. ^_^ ) Hey, the last time we sent you our weather, some of you didn't have power for over a week! Be careful what you wish for. ;-)

This past weekend I was listening to a conversation between some friends (not eavesdropping... it just wasn't my turn to talk LOL). They have a mutual friend with 6 kids and someone once asked the mom if they'd "figured out what causes that yet." She looked the guy right in the eye and said, "Yes, and I like it!" LOLOL I would have loved to have seen the look on his face!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #5792486

Oh, Marilyn I forgot Ike. You are right, I would take the warmer air, but please please don't ever send the remnants of a hurricane our way again.

Love the come back, and yep, I would have liked to see the look (red faced) that he had on his face!! That is classic!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5792642

Evening all...Called ahead and stopped to pick up a pizza in Enon on the way home...I was so tired I was stumbling, so definitely too tired to cook anything including a can of soup...

Velnita...so good to see you posting, but sorry to hear of your family losses...I guess your job was just a matter of time unfortunately...Your house may qualify for that mortgage deal now...

Congrats on a successful Doc Michele...and Good luck to the girls tomorrow...I may have some baby things for you...You need a crib?

Neal... If I am not too late, could I order some Oregano and if they have it, Granulated Garlic? I hate the powdered and granulated has been hard to find...

Thanks Robin, but my retirement has been put on the back burner for now...as has our move to MI...We will however be moving from here by Dec 1st...I got home tonight to the news from Jim that the ceiling in the bedroom behind his (In the add on wing) got more damage from that last rain the other day and apparently more of it fell...I haven't been up to look, as I know if I climb those stairs, I am going to fall into my bed...We keep that back upper wing closed off, but my sewing machine and 3 craft tubs were in there, and he went in to drag them out and into the hallway, and close it back up so we would know there was nothing there that we need to move, and that is when he found the new mess...

It reaffirmed the decision that I made yesterday was the right one...I called Cookie and asked if her house that she just moved from was still available...It is, and that is where we are going to go...It is exactly 12.6 miles from work, instead of 56...Had I done this back in the spring when she begged me to, I would be settled and so would she...I have since learned to my detriment that when my boss' lips are moving, he is lying...This move up here has been very costly in many more ways than one...I have always been one to take people, especially ones employers at their word...My military background I suppose...My word is my honor...
Apparently my bosses non combat Navy stint didn't teach him that...Very sad...Many complaints from alot of the older senority drivers here lately...
Can you believe I am now one of them?? Haven't been there a year yet...

Well anyway...we will soon be home and can have a Christmas tree this year...Thanks to Cookie and Bro Bill...

I'm whupped...Off to my bunk...

Watchout for the S-flakes...LOL

WeedLady
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #5792660

Badseed, that boy needs a strong name like Ice. LOL Six Pack on ice. Hang in there and all will be fine. You have the right attitude to raise your children to be wonderful adults. Yep I bet that Boy will be the the most spoiled and loved by all!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
6:40 AM

Post #5792891

Well now when I go to the posted address for a RU. There will be Dusty!! LOL Gotta give you some heck over that Cookie. Ya know I love ya!
George
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
8:07 AM

Post #5793035

Hi, Everybody! I've been reading, catching up on everyone's lives, marvelling at the power of this frustrating computer to link of so many people of the same heart & soul--- oh, and the same sick sense of humor. George, that was one fabulous issue of Sewage Monthly you put up ROTFLOL. I want to see the follow up issue with a real tiara (I have one I'd be happy to loan-- it's a long story). And George, that was a beautiful piece of sharing you did there, brother. I can't wait to make it down to Morehead some day & hang out in your little paradise-- & then I'll make you take me to Jeffersonville & we'll figure out exactly where my great-grandparents lived.

Isabella went HOME on Wednesday! The doctors have confirmed that at some point she had a stroke, so she's not fully herself yet. They told her mom that with all the sickness she's had, that it would take a minimum of 6 months for her to catch up. Her mom says that is fine with her. I really didn't think I would see the day, so I'm just overwhelmed with gratitude for this little girl's recovery. Thank you, everyone, for your prayers, and please keep them coming while she heals!

I just sat down & watched last night's episode of ER, which I had tivo'd. It was an episode that took place partly in the past, and Doctor Greene was in the flashback part (along with Romano and Carrie and Jerry and... lots of others). The story line involved 2 sick children, one of whom lived & one of whom died, one in the past, one in the present, and it was set in the time when Dr. Greene had his recurrence of a brain tumor. So I watched this & all of a sudden had a crying jag like I haven't had for years. I cried for everybody I knew who was sick or hurting or had died, the young doctor with leukemia, my ortho doc who died in a house fire, my chemo buddies who didn't make it this far...
gosh, Chele, they may charge me extra on my water bill just for the sewer usage for all my soggy kleenex! Who knew I had all this built up?

OK, so much for that. I should be good now for abt another 5 or 10 years! Reutrning to a favorite topic--- food! Does anybody have a decent recipe for hamburger stroganoff? I can't find mine & that sounds good. As for cookies, I'll take butter, sugar, almond or pecan wedding cookies, chocolate, chocolate chip, chocolate pecan tassies, poppy seed, peanut butter, hamentashen,... oh, I've got a fun recipe for a fake cheesecake involving cream cheese and cool whip... caramels, of course, if I can find some large bottles of karo. May I should go to Jungle Jim's, eh?

Hugs, blessings, love, wealth & chocolate to all!
Pat

This message was edited Nov 15, 2008 3:09 AM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5793162

Is anyone else having a problem adjusting to Daylight Savings Time? It's dark at 4:30 now and I'm already yawning by 6:30. We've been forcing ourselves to stay up to as close to 10 as we can, but after 5 or 6 hours sleep, I'm wide awake. Which means I'm waking up 3 and 4...ugh!

Pat, nothing like a good sentimental tv show or movie to bring on the tears! I think part of it is all those pent-up emotions we tend to hold back. So good to hear Isabella is home!

LOL, Bonnie! You wouldn't be able to stand the mess I make when I do this and it takes me a good 2 weeks to finish the the project.

Dusty, I am so sorry your retirement got put on hold!

Just heard on the tv news snow flurries this afternoon. Hard to imagine when it's 50* now. We've had lots of rain the last few days, as well as some beautiful 60-70* days, which is most welcomed for the gardens and flower beds! The main garden is now done...completely cleaned out, soil amended and raked back up into rows.

((((( I want you all to know how much I enjoy all of your posts! You all are most definitely a wonderful bunch! )))))
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5793768

robin, I've been doing the same thing, can't keep my eyes open at 10pm, but up at 3-4 am!

Pat, I've done that before, just sort of lose it when watching something, and mostly from having memories brought back.

Dusty, sorry to hear of the delay in your plans. Oh, but what fun you and Cookie will have though!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5793782

LOL George!
I was thinking the same thing.

Stuck between Bertie and Cookie though... "Oh, the Humanity!"
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5793803

Good Morning all...It is 41* here and raining...We have a hefty wind going as well...
I wasn't the least bid tired last night...I slept a solid 9 hrs...LOL

I need to zip down to Springfield and go to the bank, and get dog cookies...I am going to load up all the wall hangings, and my plants and take them on down...My Orchids have been my biggest worry so that they wouldn't get chilled...
I will help Cookie get the rest of her things sorted and packed up...If I can load a few things every night, I can take them on down after work...That will make the job less daunting like it did for the move up here...

George dear...I already tole ya I wasn't gonna desert ya...I had every intention of coming down for the RU's...I was gonna stay at Cookies... now I'm REALLY gonna stay at Cookies...LOL

You Boys are really bad...What makes you think I won't ruin the both of them?? I DO know that Jungle Jims and and the Flower Factory will be seeing alot of us...LOL Cookie and I have NO PROBLEM getting into mischief together...

I better get busy loading up the car...I just talked to Cookie, and she is on her way to the house to get started...I am sure she and I both will be glad to get this over with...2 more weeks...Yesssssss...

Have a good day everyone, and try to stay dry and warm...Like it or not, we are about to get hit...

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5793844

We are home. Won again. Gotta get up again tomorrow at 5am. Sigh. Oh, I mean YAY!! WE WON! 4-0. LOL

Been up since 4am. Maddie has a nasty cough. I'm sure sitting in the cold and rain is helpful. We didn't go to the basketball game. Too far away. Craig and Carly went with the other coach. It's nap time.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5793853

I was wondering about that Michele...I hope they don't all get pneumonia playing in the rain like that...Congrats to them for a big win...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5793855

Oh, forgot to tell ya Dusty, got you down for Oregano and granulated garlic. Is that like the dried, minced garlic, or is it finer than that?

This message was edited Nov 15, 2008 11:29 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5793886

Dried Minced yes... thank you my dear...Get a BIG bunch of that Garlic...Only need medium on the Oregano...I am still good for Basil, and I have my own Rosemary growing in the pot... ;-))) Lemee know what I owe ya for it and the postage...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5793896

Gotcha covered ;-)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5793918

SMOOOOOTCH!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5793956

Hey, everyone! I just caught up on reading, and already some of it's leaking. Shoot!

Velnita, I'm sorry to hear things are so rough for you right now. It's such a bad time of year, and it seems a popular time for companies to do this. :P Our house's value is down, too. We learned that when we refinanced in June. At least it will be paid off in 15 years now and hopefully by then the economy will be better. We need to all listen to Sue's cheers, for I think she's right. At least gas prices are really low again - I can't believe it.

Neal, yes, we'd like to get some spices. We'll share an order of peppercorns with you, Jules, sure. I'd like some dried minced garlic, too. I'm trying to think of anything else we'd use regularly. Mexican seasonings, maybe, and chili seasonings? Can you dmail me prices so I can tell you how much to get?

Today's one of those marathon crops. It started at 10am and goes until 2am. I'm having a lazy Saturday morning with Howie, though, so I'm not planning on getting there until around 2pm. Twelve hours is plenty. I don't scrapbook as much as talk as it is, so hey. LOL

The surgeon was pleased with how I'm doing when I saw him yesterday. He released me to work, so I contacted my boss and she's re-hiring me ASAP. I'll just do two 4-hour shifts a week for a few weeks to get back in the swing of things.

The biggest, best news is the nasty district manager we had was fired. He was such a demoralizing jerk, put people down, nitpicked and focused only on the revenue. The company has a new CEO now and he's been cleaning house, reorganizing. It sounds like he's bringing back the old Caribou, which was always focused on the guests and employees. If you make your guests and employees happy, the money will come.

When you browbeat your staff over every little thing and push for sales all the time, people shut down and go into survival mode. I'm so glad to see the changes coming. :)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5794016

Hellerrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hey (((((((Everybody))))))))! I have missed you sooooooooooooooooooo!

Short version, Breaker box got hit by lightning. Thus it fried my old hard drive. Had no money for a new one. But my wonderful son finally felt sorry for me (actually got tired of hearing me complain and saw the opportunity to shut me up for my birthday) and got me a new one. Sorry if anyone was worried. (Got your D-Mail Lana).

I am however alive and kicking (yes my toes are ok from the accident). Oprah is too.

Love you all...MISSED you all terribly.

T-Bird
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5794049

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((TONI))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You have been sooooooooo Missed!!!!!!!

Welcome Home!!!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5794054

((((((((Dusty))))))))))))))!!!!!

Man it sure sucks when your computer dies. I can't believe how connected to these things we are!

Love you Sis!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5794066

Welllllllll...It is finally officially Winter here...I was just getting dressed to go to town, and looked out the window...It is snowing like a banshee out there...The temp has dropped from 43 to 35.6 in the last 3 hrs...

I called Cookie and told her we would postpone until tomorrow...I still have to go to town to the bank, and get a few groceries and kerosene...
What a PITA !!! But it is Beautiful...It is *S* ing really hard!!! LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5794072

Love you tooooo Baybee!!!! Sooooooo Good to see you back!!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5794077

Good morning all!! I made it..just under the wire!! Well..it's 5 till right now...and will be afternoon when this goes through probably...lol.
Been keeping up with you all...but nothing much going on here. Therapy and more therapy. Just realized I have an appt. with my dr on Monday at the same time as my therapy...swell. They are gonna love me for cancelling at the last minute. I DO have to go the dr. My therapy will end the day before Thanksgiving. Hopefully, I can get everything together for Thanksgiving dinner and still go to therapy on Wednesday!
A neighbor of ours told Dave yesterday about Tonic water. She said she had heard of some people using it for RLS...as it has quinine in it. Well..I read up on it ..online...and decided I would try it. Either it was my imagination...or it DID help last night.?? All I read on it , said that there really isn't enough quinine in it to help...but all the people who left msgs said it DID help them.
They used to use quinine for leg cramps,etc...before it was taken off the market. Anyway...I guess a lot of people use tonic water for mixed drinks...and it doesn't kill them...so worth a try.
The neighbor did say it may take a few days for enough of the quinine to get into my system...so we will see. BTW...tonic water is nasty...lol! Bitter!
Went to Walmart last night with Dave...and I WALKED!! The WHOLE time!!! ALL over the store!! I was good and tired when we got finished too. They had just put new benches all over the store when they remodeled. Well...guess they needed the space for merchandise for Christmas...so they disappeared...and right when I could have used one too!
ok...had a phone call while typing here...and now lunch is ready! So guess I will have to go, and talk later! Have a great day everyone!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5794102

Toni! I was worried about you when I didn't hear back! I'm so glad it was just computer problems. It's so good to see you!

Marcy, you get the rock star ribbon for your marathon at Wal-Mart last night. Way to go!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5794198

Welcome back Toni!! Missed you. Isn't this computer addiction awful?

Marcy, try mixing in some fruit juice with the tonic water, may help disguise the taste.

Yukky day, raining and miserable, but it is supposed to snow, just flurries this afternoon, so a good inside day. I have bread rising, and I have been working on the cemetery data base. DGD is here this weekend, and one of her friends is coming to spend the night, so making them hamburgers and mac and cheese. Not that hard of a menu!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5794382

Toni, great to see you again! Glad you and O are ok, and congrats on the nice birthday gift! Tell him we all said 'Thanks', lol.
Y'all can keep that white stuff up north--me and Bonnie don't want it, lol.
Marcy, I wonder if orange juice mixed with the tonic water would make it easier to drink, or if it would just ruin the taste of the orange juice...

Kimberly, congrats on the clean bill of health from the doc, and on the new DM! Jerks eventually get what they deserve, just sometimes not soon enough. We had a really bad store manager at Lowe's, and they kept transferring him to different stores over the years, and finally they gave up and fired him. Unfortunately, he fired a lot of good people first, and drove others to quit--including me. Now they won't take me back because I had a lot of illness and surgeries while I was there. I tried to tell them all the troublesome parts have been removed, and that I'm healthy now, but...oh well!

I have a part-time job in retail, seasonal work, which is better than nothing, but not as good as a paralegal job, which is what I slaved away at school for the last two years. Sheesh. Still the same story--everyone wants years of experience, but nobody wants to give it.

I think I should win something from the lottery just for never hitting ANY numbers--what are the odds of that?! LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5794397

Squeeze some lemon juice in the tonic water, Marcy. It's wonderful! :-)

I'm sorry your beautiful house has turned out to be such a disappointment, Dusty. :-( But moving next to Cookie sounds wonderful!!! :-) I'm sorry your boss turned out to be such a disappointment, too. People can be such a pain, can't they? grrr...

It's great to see you back, Toni!

I'm glad you're well enough to go back to work, Kimberley! And very glad to hear that things are going better there... A nasty district manager can make life miserable for everyone - I've had a few of those, too. Ugh. Take it easy and don't start agreeing to more hours than you can handle!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5794436

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Its so good to be back on! It's been cold and rainy up here and I have been online all day playing. Still have to recover alot of software I lost but the files are history. I had moved most of my music and pictures to my external hard drive but lost a ton of information I had been saving/collecting over the years.

The Lt. said this is my birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day gift for the next 3 years LOL!

So good to see you all!!!!!!

This message was edited Nov 15, 2008 4:44 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5794441

Do you still have the hard drive, Toni? My dh is really good at extracting lost data. Dmail me!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5794530

TONI, WELCOME BACK! :-) Are you still in Ohio? Think I remember you considering a job way south somewhere.

Dusty, glad to hear you are staying close, so I may get a chance to meet you sometime!

Marilyn, I'm not complaining about this last bit of Texas weather sent my way. It was almost like a coastal breeze!

GW, great news on the doctor release!

Marcy, you'll get stronger every time you go out. Just be careful and don't over do it!

Neal, I don't even know what I could use right now, but if you've got a price list for next time maybe...

I'm going to have to keep a little notebook next to the computer to write down all these little tidbits of info, like the tonic water. Love to hear about these kinds of things.

I'm probably 75 SW of Louisville, so may get only the flurries. But probably not much accumulation. It's dropped to 41* from 50* at 5 am, but doesn't feel too bad.

Think I'll pick up on Bonnie's idea and get some bread started, too. I bought some new spreads in town this morning at the Amish store that would probably be pretty good on fresh bread.

Enjoy the rest of the day!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5794796

Yep I do have my old drive and yep I am still here in Cleveland. I will be moving to New Orleans it looks like near the end of Spring beginning of Summer.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5795202

Toni, that is gonna be a longer drive for you to attend a RU!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5795297

Hey...I'm back!! Well..the phone call I had was from my youngest son. He called to tell me, he is cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and having it at his house! My eldest son is bringing the turkey, and who knows what else!! They would like for me to bring dessert (spell that PIE) if I could! Aren't they just the best boys????? I am so glad I taught them to cook!!! LOL!! Well...Jim...youngest son, does most all the cooking at his house. His wife helps...but he does most of it. And Mike...eldest son...is a bachlor who cooks for himself all the time. So it was very nice of them to think of me this year. I do appreciate it. Dave and I will help...money wise ...with the food...and I will probably make rolls, pies, and whatever else comes to mind.
I'll try the fruit juice in the tonic water ladies. Thanks!
We did some more shopping today, and again...I walked. It really isn't easy to shop from one of those electric carts. You can't really see things at that level, like you can standing up. So I am glad to be upright again. And I AM getting stronger...I can tell!
Renee'...Toni...good to see you both again!
Well..need to make a couple of phone calls tonight...so better get at it.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5795442

Toni who? LOL Hey girl! It's great to see you! Sorry about your puter.

Yes, Renee needs to stop by more! I haven't seen Janet around much either. Melissa slid off somewhere too. We finally got Velnita back in the game.

Marcy, glad to see you are still up and running. Congrats on getting to enjoy a Thanksgiving without having to do all the work. That is the reason we raise them right? grins

Great to hear your medical report Kimberley!

KY, you'll find the perfect job. It's out there! Laughing about the lottery though. When my dad died, I got his desk. I found his Hoosier lottery envelope in there. All these years, the poor guy had been playing the family birth dates and never got a hit!

Hi Bonnie!

Dusty, thank you for the offer of the crib but I don't bother anymore. All of my kids co-sleep to make nursing easier and give me more time to cuddle. None of them ever had anything to do with the crib so not having space to put one is not such a bad thing. I do have my pack and play with the newborn/changing top in it so it will be perfect.

Carly won her basketball game today. YAY!

Jazzi will be playing two soccer games tomorrow at 8am and noon. Looks like it will be about 33 degrees and possibly snowing. Oh boy. If anybody wants to freeze and get muddy, we'll be in Milford. LOL

Well, I have home made pizza in the oven and two more to go. Guess I better answer the beep!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5795488

(((((((((((((Chele))))))))))))) Hey lady! How are you, hubby and the bambinos?????

(((((((((((((((((((Bonnie)))))))))))))))))))))))) HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Marcyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang I feel like Celie from the Color Purple when she saw her sister!

:)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5795519

How long have you been gone? Do you know about number 7? LOL

Oh, that pizza is so good! The first one is 1/2 green pepper, onion, banana pepper and cheese and the other half has the same plus mushrooms, sausage and pepperoni. Guess which half I'm eating??? Nothing like cookie sheet sized pizza and garlic butter sauce. YUM YUM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5795607

3 months...Number 7?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5795688

Laughing. I couldn't remember if you were still around when I found out I was pregnant. We found out last week that number seven is a boy!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5795744

Hey toni so glad to see you posting. !!! yeah on the son with the nice b-day prez for you . Yeah. LOL i love the Color Purple !!!!! movie.
Dusty i will miss you :( Cookie you stole my pal !!! lolllll
so glad it is all working out for you .
wow you all have been chatting away .
not much here going on. snow and more snow over here. Then turned to mud and slop. "ack"
No the Gh still looks like a yard sale gone wild. Ugh. Just got to lazy and procrastinated it to long. Oh well . Just need to get some of the stuff out of view and in a pile. Well and stupid Tim and I forgot to cover our firewood pile Duh . So he went out and dug out in the middle of it in the snow and rain some dry logs to put inside the house. Sheesh what greenhorns we are.
Im battleing depression right now so i may not be around and just lurking
Neal i can mail you the recipe for chocolate fruit cake if you want. I may not get around to typing it up for you. So sorry. :( but i got an extra copy of it i can mail to you
take care
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5795774

(((( Toni! ))))

My BIL's area is now in the Sayre Fire map here.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sayrefire-googlemap,0,6804603.htmlstory

Click SAT on the map and move the map until the green horse symbol is in the middle.
Where it says Sunland and Tujunga at the left he lives at the "d" in Foothill Blvd between them.
If that makes any sense... LOL!

Patrick Swayze has a small ranch at about the 2 in the 210 symbol.

We didn't get any outside work done today.
Pouring or steady rain and dropping temps all day.
It's 43 (Wind Chill 39) now and clearing up nicely.

I'll be doing trim work and roofing tomorrow.
Robyn will be working on the Holiday Decorations.

She got the window trim caulked and painted Friday while the weather was still warm.
It may be a while before any more painting is done...
Today we finished beefing up the headers inside.

Kimberley I was wondering when the economy would hit the Coffee Kitchens.
Bout time service came back in the mix.
It has to be about the service...
too many places have coffee just as good and a Whale of a lot cheaper!

Ric

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5795789

I made it back from the South...It had dropped to 31.1 since I left here, and now is back up to 33*...Did the bank, the dollar store, got kerosene and went to the Goodwill...I dropped a big load off at the back door, and walked out the front door with a couple bags...I found a pair of brand new drapes for the sliding glass door at the new house...They are heavy and will help with the winter cold..
I got a cute little brass lamp for the night stand in the guest room to go with the brass bed I got at the Salvation Army a few weeks ago...Your room will soon be ready Toni!!! ;-)))

Cookie decided she does not want her monster salt water Reef fish tank, so I have inherited it...I am thrilled, because it is corner shaped and absolutely beautiful...I had salt water fish years ago, and really love them..
I will need a refresher course in Reef maintenance though...Been too many years to remember all of that stuff...

Thanks Marylyn...(I hope you have your fur lined parka on) I do love this house, and it will hurt to leave it because I know it is going to be left to fall down...but today clinched the deal...I hit the garage door opener to pull my car in when I got back from town, and there is a huge hayrack for the goats inside the door, and Jim says there is a big roller contraption behind it...For what we are paying per month here, we were supposed to get the entire Brooder house, not just 1/2 of it, and at least 1 bay of the garage...Jim asked him 3 weeks ago to be sure my bay was cleared so I could get my car in there due to the early morning hours I have to leave here, so I wouldn't have to scrape the windshield or dig it out...So much for that...

I got a slab of ribs last week for $1.29 a lb. so 1/2 of it baked, and we had that and baked sweet taters, and broccoli for supper...I have most of the wall hangings down and ready to load up for tomorrow...The orchids and the bistro set and my bird baths and maybe my Marcy swing will go if there is room for all it...If I am off Monday, I will take another load, then reload to drop off Tuesday after work...Gosh...I am making myself tired thinking about it, but I gotta do what I gotta do...
Thankfully, I can do it this way instead of having to do a one shot deal like it would be to go to MI...

Got a bit more packing done, and now I am going to my soaky tub to relax for a bit, and then hopefully to sleep without waking at 3 am as usual...At least this morning I opened 1 eye, looked at the clock, realized I didn't need to get up, groaned, and went back to sleep...Hopefully I can do the same thing tomorrow morning...LOL

Sleep tight all, and stay warm...There were cars here today coming from the north and west that had 2 inches of the white stuff on them...

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5795847

Dusty, it seems it wasn't long ago you were telling us all about your move there...too soon to have to move again! I hope next time you get to stay.
Scary about the white stuff...not ready for that here!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5795998

Well, I have been reading, doing some research on the net, and working on the cemetery data base tonight, while DH is absorbed by football on the tube. DGD has an overnight guest, and they have been behind closed bedroom doors and on their computers. Poor little underpriviledged kids!!

Marcy,so good to know that you have graduated from the cart to actually stand up, walking shopping. I have never used a cart, but have seen people in the stores in them, and those that were able to having to stop, stand up, to reach a higher item from the shelves. Hurray, so great that the boys are doing Thanksgiving this year. Praise them highly, and it might become an annual event!!

Sue, don't go MIA on us, unless of course we are the source of your depression!! I think we all go through this in the fall and winter, and it is called SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. There are special lights that you can buy to use, which simulate sunlight. I have one, and can attest to their effectiveness.

Dusty, Dusty, Dusty, when will the wanderlust get shaken from your feet? Yikes you have moved more since you came to this thread than I have in my entire 60 years!! Told DH if our marriage of 40+ years somehow doesn't last, we will hire a builder to put in a partition down the middle of this house, he can have one side, I will have the other. I don't plan to move again until the undertaker moves my cold stiff body.

Ric, so sorry to hear that your DB may be in harm's way. Those fires sound so scary, and evidently happen so suddenly that there is little advanced warning about evacuation. I think a lot of this one spreading is from the horrid winds associated with the fire.

Chele, what items are you in particular need of for the new little one? Maybe we can throw you a cyber baby shower. Sharing the bed with a little one is a dicey situation. Did you ever have problems weaning them to their own bed? I used to tease DS that he would still be sleeping with us when he was a teen, and coming in from a date!!

msrobin, I went through seeds today, and have them all set to go out tomorrow.

Neal, you must tell me if you are interested in flower or tomato, pepper or other veggie seeds.

Well, DH is baking some blueberry muffins, they are smelling good, but think I would rather have a left over hamburger for my snack. This time is killing us. I think just because it is dark, I need to have supper on the table, and then we stay up so late, that we are hungry again before bedtime. That is not gonna reflect nicely on the bathroom scales.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5796095

Congratulations Chele!!! I think you were about to find out when I left. That's wonderful. Finally a boy! Count me in on the Cyber Baby Shower. Great idea! Shoot... I love online shopping! Personally I think they should make it an Olympic Sport, I'd be a sure win for the gold medal.

(((((((Rickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk)))))) Hey Sweetie!!! How's things with you and Rob???

((((((((((Sue))))))))))))))))) How are ya Hon???? Missed you horribly. How's things with the cabin?

(((((((((Neal))))))))))))) You looking for some seed??? Let me know what you are looking for. Since I was offline, I got a lot organized. Even all 3 seed containers. I know, I am shameful. Then I had the gall to post for some more for 2009 on the seed trade board LOL My theme for my 2009 garden is gonna be The Bigger The Better. That is if I am still in Cleveland. If I'm not it will be my 2010 in N.O.

(((((((((MsRob)))))))))))))!!!!!!!! Thanks again for that sweet dmail! You are too cool!

Dusty you're moving???? What happened???? I have to read back...I will do that in the middle of the night when I wake up. Been doing that alot since May but it is getting better, so nobody needs to worry.

Wassup ((((((((((Renee))))))))))))))!

Here's a big ole (((((((((((((Cookie))))))))))))) hug too!

Beddie bye time. Church tomorrow.

Talk soon (((((((((((ALL)))))))))))))))
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #5796121

Toni, did you get the issues resolved with the greedy relatives? You know inquiring minds.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5796188

Toni we're doing just fine.
Working hard in the yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157603351899096/

And enjoying the new Plasma...
Football in 50" HD is amazing! LOL!
and Robyn is going thru all the CSI's... it must be on 5 times a day.

Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
9:29 AM

Post #5796517

Well, I fell asleep soon after we turned on a 9:00 movie and was wide awake at 3:30. Grrr. I tried everything to stay in that warm bed and sleep another hour. No such luck. I gave up and put the coffee on. It's going to be a long, cold day.

Bonnie, you are so thoughtful! I have no idea what we actually need. I think I'm still in shock. ;) I've been sort of making a list but it's like starting over. LOL We may be looking for a new home by the time the baby gets here. Hubby is looking for jobs anywhere in the US now and the Virgin Islands too.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #5796668

Goodmorning to my fellow early morning risers! LOL! I was up at 4. The fact that I was sound asleep by 9 might have had something to do with it. Something seriously wrong with this picture!

Did anyone get any of the snow that forecasted? Nothing here. It rained all day yesterday, but has since stopped. The air is still thick with moisture. Makes it hard to breathe.

Tried something new for dinner last night. I had followed Bonnie's lead and set up the bread machine. When it was about done, I heated up a left over steak and a few ribs, cut up salad and made sweet potatoe fries. The fries were awesome! We go through the same thing with dinner time and then being hungry again before bedtime, because dinner was early.

Thanks, Bonnie...much appreciated!

Thanks, Toni...you're pretty cool, too!

Ric, sorry to hear about your DB. Can't imagine how terrible that situation must be. All the more reason for all of us here to appreciate what we do have.

Sue, hang in there! SAD is a serious disorder. Bundle up and spend some time outside, go for hikes, etc, in the fresh air and keep up with your exercising. Both will help.

Chele, can you start relaxing a bit now that soccer is over? How many girls are in basketball?

Darius, what are you up to these days?

Dusty, you are amazing! All that making plans to move to one place, then on to look for another home, all the packing, taking care of Jim, etc and finally moving, plus working. Don't know how you do it all!

Hello to all I didn't mention by name!

Now I'm off to see what I can learn from Paul James on Gardening By The Yard. Have a great day!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5796682

Hey Toni! Good to "see" ya! ...or should I say "Ceeeeellliiiieeee!!!"

Bonnie, oh yes, I am looking for veggie seeds...and easily convinced to acquire more flower seeds, LOL. Mostly looking for heirloom and open pollinated veggies.

(((Sue))), sorry to hear you've been in the dumps. Hang in there.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5796873

Thanks guys
Dh is really PO'd at me . I forgot to pay the life insurance . I just hope they don't cancel us. Then he will have to pay a higher premium. So my argument is , "well if you went to a dr and ate healthy food and not donuts every #$% morning and took care of yourself we wouldt have t opay the higher premium " duh. He is nit picking me to death. I hate when he is not working.
My bill paying and all our finacial stuff is in a shoe box for the last year. ! since we moved 3 times in less than one year and 50% of all is still in storage , built a home, managed two kids, did our taxes along with other normal stuff. sheesh. Keeped eveything is a shoe box . Most of the bills i couldn't forward due to his name was on them . I have no idea what happened to the mail. If one doesn't come in the mail yes i forget about it . He comes home and takes over the bills , well duh why didn't he think of this back in Oct ? duh. Oh well. Im sure this is my depression and it will soon pass. Better or for worse right ?
sorry to vent on you all but sheesh. The man is on my LAST NERVE . he is
Toni !!! big ((())))
Ric big ((())) for your bro , T&P to him and you guys.
Big ~~~~ to everyone else
got to run
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5796950

Good Morning all...30* here now...wind chill of 18*...No *S* on the ground...

Gonna load up here shortly and head down the hill...Need to go a little earlier in case I do have to work tomorrow, I can get back and get another load put in the car to drop off tomorrow night...
Toni, I filed for my Soc. Sec. and had intended to retire the end of this year over in MI by my youngest son...That has fallen through for now...

Wanderlust has nothing to do with it Bons...The only reason we moved up here was because my boss was going to open a satellite terminal up here in July, and I was supposed to be off the road, and running that...He has yet to do it, therefore I am driving 56 miles 1 way to get to work..It is a 1 hour commute, and very costly...Some weeks, well over 1/2 of my paycheck depending on how many days I worked or whether I got to bring the van home or not...
I can't afford to retire with the housing costs here in OH, so I have to get closer to work...Cookie has an empty house eating in her wallet that is only 12 miles away from my job...So that is the logical place to go...It helps the both of us until we can get a place we can afford in MI and I can retire...I did not want to have to be driving in another winter here, but I guess I will have to be...The first house we moved to from FL was infested with mold, and both of us were sick from it...Not to mention the drugs and the guns across the street...We would still be in the second house if not for my lying boss...The only reason we left FL was because Jim wanted to be nearer his son that has yet in the 3 years we have been here to come for dinner...Much less the promises of assistance when we needed it... I have plowed and shoveled my own driveway and mowed my own lawn on top of a full time job and a house to take care of...the then 16 yr old grandson was always too busy...
Now they are moving to Lynchburg, so no help would be forthcoming...
I am tired and my body is wearing out...I just can't do it all anymore...We can live far cheaper in MI than we can here...We can grow our own veggies and raise our own meat...Housing is far cheaper as well...I just have to be patient until the house is ready up there...In the meantime I have to get where I can afford to go to work, and see something of my paycheck left over so I can pay my bills and still be able to eat...

As soon as Jim gets out of the shower we are heading out, so have a great day everyone...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5797181

We had a snow/sleet shower this morning.
36 (Wind Chill 29) and very cloudy.

My BIL is on the good side of the fire.
As the Horse/Stock evac area is between them and the fire it appears he will stay that way.
He is though pretty much cut off from getting to work.
He has a 60 mile each way commute and basically the only way there is thru the fire.
Well he 'could' make it a 90 mile commute I guess... lol!

Off to work on the FPR...

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5797401

Good morning, didn't have time to check in before church. Went out and the car had a light dusting of snow on it but none on the ground.

DMIL called this morning, and as I type DH is waiting with her in the emergency room, which will probably result in her being admitted, once again. Congestive Heart Failure, and her lungs are filling with fluid, so they will hook her up to iv diuretics, and get the fluid under control,till the next time. Sigh, she told me on Friday, that she would rather just die than to keep having to go throught this.

Keep her in your t & p's.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5798149

Bonnie So sorry to hear of your MIL. T&P with big (((((HUGS))))))) to you and DH.
Ric good to hear you bro is out of danger but one thing ? "There is a good side of a fire ? " just a stupid question i guess . Does that mean he is far enough away from it and its going in a different direction not toward him ? Or am i just really dense ? sorry.
Glad he is on the safe side :)
got a bit today and had lunch chinese. To expensive for what it was. DD is had one of her anxiety attacks at the restaurant , i spent 20 min the bathroom with her. She is deathly afraid of public restrooms. We traveled across country and she held it from OH to Cheyenne WY !!!! until we got to a hotel . Lord that girl can hold Niagra falls. Poor thang . I feel for her. Got my side of the "crazy family genes" she did that one.
blessings to you all
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5798377

Upwind of the fire would probably have been a better term...LOL!

Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5798379

Bonnie, I'm really sorry to hear that your MIL is still battling health problems. I'm sure she doesn't want to be back in the hospital. :(

Sue, chin up and chest out girl! Maybe you can sit down and talk to hubby nicely about everything being dumped in your lap and how hard you have tried to keep up with everything. Sometimes, things just fall through the cracks. I keep the bills on a spreadsheet according to when they are due. I know what is due when even if I don't have the money to pay them. LOL

I'd love to chat more but I'm absolutely wiped out! I've been up since 3:30. I'm proud to say it paid off! For the first time in a long time, maybe ever, Lynchburg-Clay won the state tournament! A group of 6 and 7 year olds finished their season 18-0-1. The 1 was a tie!

They won their first game at 8am then we went out for breakfast. They had to play again at noon. At the second game, the score was 0-0 after double over time. It came down to kicks. Each team had five players kick. Three from each team made it so we tied. Then the refs messed up. The other team kicked first, made it and they declared them the winners. The kids shook hands, ran through the tunnel and before anyone could leave, our assistant coach broke out the rule book and schooled the refs! They had to let both teams have 5 more kicks and the winner was the best of five. WE WON! We felt very bad for the other team (who still came in second) because the were wrongly declared the winners then second place. :( Talk about an emotional day!

Hubby and Carly have basketball from 5:30-7:00 so I have to drop them off then pick up kid number 2, then go back and get them later. Whew! I declare it nap time!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5798414

Nap time sounds like a plan. What a day you guys have had! Congrats!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5798427

Congrats on the wins Chelle. i bet your tired ! wow. Get a good nap in .
Dh tried to get a fire going. Hmmm i m glad its not his day job ! he ain't to good at it or the wood is still to green. The guy told us it was nice a seasoned for about 2 yrs ? hmmm i am wondering. ?
well i m going to see what i can cook for dinner . hmmm i think pizza lol
ttyl
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5799466

We came home and had our soup and sammiches...I put on a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup...Stopped at Subway in Enon and collected my 2 free subs thanks to my points on my card, so that was supper tonight...

Bro Bill is gonna fix the fireplace chimney for me so I can use it...It has a small flashing leak...I could have fixed it, once I figured out what it was, but he said he will take care of it so, I don't have to mess with it...
Jim is delighted with the huge basement that he can put his workshop in...
Today is the first time he has seen the house, and he was really surprised at how big it is inside...The outside is very deceptive...He and Bro have already plotted out who is gonna do what for the minor details on what needs to be done...When we left there this evening, I said **This is such a beautiful place** and he said **Yes, it certainly is** Oh yeah... He's already declared it a Navy Base thanks to that daggone Pond!!!
I'm in trubble now!!!

I took all of my outside yard stuff today... My Marcy swing and the bistro set, umbrella and plant stands and bird baths/houses etc...We put all of that in the garage...Took my Cement Goose and put her new outfit on...I didn't take my orchids as planned, and I should have, but I can take them next weekend...As usually happens, I prayed for a day off tomorrow, and I got the call to go in tomorrow while we were down there...Grrrr!!

Bro said he has fencing, plus the dog kennel so he can fix something for the dogs...That saves me alot of worry...Kira is fine, and Boo maybe, but the others are a PITA...The baby pug, Lily, can already outrun me in the house, but I don't think she would go far outside...LOL...
She is a foot hugger/chaser...and watches those feet when she is loose...

I know it sounds weird, but I felt a real sense of relief tonight...We took the new coffeepot and extra coffee and a couple mugs, so if I take a load after work and need a cuppa, I can have one...I'm not a nightime coffee drinker, but with my hours, and now a 90 minute drive back up here from the new home and as cold as it is, it will be welcome...
Yes, I had to get a new coffeepot...The water up here finished off our very old one.. and yes, I know about vinegar...It works for a couple days, and then it bogs down again...The new one also has a timer so I can fill and set it at night so it will be done when I have to roll out of bed...the old one doesn't...My treat to myself thanks to Dollar General...LOL

Rest well all...and have a great day tomorrow...I know I will...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5799469

Congrats to the Girls Chele!

Sue if that wood has been sitting out in the weather it's soggy seasoned.
It will take it a while in the sun to dry out.
You need to get some Fat Wood.
That's pine stump wood... high in resin and will start an ice cube on fire.
You usually get it in 25 pound burlap bag loads.
Or if you have some pine stumps...

36 (Wind Chill 29)
We did see a few snurries...
The roofing shingle paper is up!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5799696

I spent the afternoon napping and reading. DH didn't get home from the hospital until about 3 p.m. They admitted DMIL with pneumonia and congestive heart failure. They will do the iv dieuretics and she will be good again for about 6 weeks. Not anything to build to when you are 90 pounds, and 90 years old.

Took DGD home about 4, and brought in fast food for supper. This evening has seemed 12 hours long. I wonder when I will get used to the time change?

Sue, hang in there girl, please try to explain to your DH that with everything dumped in your lap to take care of, and then building a house on top of all of that, he is lucky that he has any utilities!!

Dusty glad that you are beginning to get some things moved. When do you expect to be fully there?

Have a 9:45 appointment in the morning for the old annual mash and squeeze upper body parts, I am so looking forward to that!!

Need to get in bed, oh, why bother, I will only be up at 4:00.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
6:04 AM

Post #5799893

Hello All!!!
Well the harvest dinner was great!! So much great food and company. Life gets you down sometimes and these little dinner's seem to really lift everyone's spirits. The menu changed a bit due to us getting and estimate on a water pump for the van. Local retail was 201.00. Found it online from the manufacture for 48.90, but before I found the great price I went from a pork loin to turkey. I had bought one a few weeks back for .60/lb and had it in the freezer. Even when I found the online part we had a big ole turkey laid out so made it. I stuffed it with a wild rice/brown rice/dried apples/onions/sage and other spices. I had found that dressing recipe in a book for wild game. It was the best! I made loaded mashed potatoes(sour cream/bacon/real butter/green onions and cheese) Very good. Yeast rolls and an apple stack cake.

Then the others all brought tons. Sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, butter nut squash soup, steamed cranberry pudding with cream cheese icing and more I can't remember. We do like to eat!! Then we started a fire in the fire place and just had the best talks. I had just gotten some Peruvian organic coffee(can't afford it except for special things) and we tore apart the apple stack cake and pudding. A great Harvest dinner indeed.

We really need this as a group. We each(family) have so much going on that It's hard to feel like the "old days". We make a dinner/craft night each month, so we can get together and strengthen our bonds. If we make the date a few weeks ahead of time. We can make arrangements(kids,work ETC.) This week one of the families are having a little extra get together. It's going to be a big group of sewing people and quilter's. I want to learn to sew so bad. I made one shirt and the machine I had died. They are going to teach me to make pillows and mend my house wear. It's a start.

Well better run. I am just finishing my stack cake and 1/2 and 1/2 milk. Don't tell on me!
George
This is the Apple Stack cake before it was attacked!

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5800208

Good Morning all...29* with a wind chill of 20* at the moment, and it is snowing and sticking...My car is covered...Grrrrrrr!!!

Boo nosed me awake at 5:30..I looked over at the clock, and it wasn't there...Turned on the lamp, and there was none...No power in my room...I had no clue what time it was, so I flew downstairs...There is power in 1/2 of the living room and a part of the kitchen...I don't have to leave here till 7:30 so I'm okay there...
I am guessing it is a blown fuse, but I am waiting to get my coffee before I go down to the cellar to check it out...I lit the Kerosene heater, and 1 of the electric ones is still on thankfully so it's not too bad in here...I don't think it has been off very long...

Bons...we will be out of here by Thanksgiving weekend...Thankfully...I just have to figure out some manpower to get a truck loaded...
Prayers for your DMIL...

George...That cake looks fabulous...So glad you all had a good evening and a good dinner...That always helps when you feel blue...

Better get to the cellar and see what is going on...The kitchen stove is off too...sorta...Hmmmm
Well apparently the stove is the problem...when I unplugged it, all the rest of it came back on...Soooooo we have no stove...And my dryer is going, but no heat, and it was fine last night...so there is something else going on...Sounds like a 220 issue, but that shouldn't affect the other outlets, and lights...Jim will check it out further once he has his coffee... LOL

You all have a great day...stay warm!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5800259

GM ((((((((((All)))))))))

Yeah we got quite a few inches up here too. Where are those crazy candy selling school kids when you need your snow shoveled? I am gonna have to have a candy bar strike at my house this year.

Got an early appt. Gotta run. Just wanted to say Hey and wish you all a good day today!

Toni
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5800338

Happy Birthday Toni!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5800401

Goodmorning, Friends! It's 38* here, but no snow. Yeah!

Finally got a good night's sleep, went to bed at 10 and slept till 6. Best night's sleep in weeks! I envy those of you who can take naps. A sure fire way for me to become wide awake and get over being tired in the middle of the day is to lay down with every intention to take a nap. All I have to do is lay my head down and I'm suddenly wide awake and raring to go!

George, your dinner sounds awesome! Wish we had the kind of friends close by, that we could do that sort of thing. Only visitors we get are an 18 yo kid that comes to visit DH once in awhile to play chess and the old man who used to own all the land in this area that drops in for an hour or so every couple of months.

Dusty, I can believe what a relief this move must be for you. Sounds like it's next to perfect, short of living up there by your son.

Sue, I did the same thing with our auto insurance. We pay it by the year, it was due the 11th, got the bill a month ago. Remembered Saturday the 15th while we were out driving around in the rain that I forgot to pay it! Waiting for the office in Owensboro (50 miles away) to open, to see if they can take the payment over the phone. If not, I'll have to drive up there.

Bonnie, so sorry to hear about your MIL. I know it's rough not only on her, but also for those who take care of her. Been thinking about my DM a lot lately, thinking I really should have stayed back there to take care of her or at least visit her more often.

Toni, what's going on with you these days?

Waving to everyone else~~~~~~~~~!

I'm down to straightening the itty-bitty front closet and the kitchen cupboards. WhooHoo! And it feels SOOO GOOD to be totally organized in the house...kind of like the feeling Marcy had with her clean windows. LOL! Next is doing a deep cleaning!

Have a great day!

OOPS! Forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TONI!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:39 AM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5800443

Happy Birthday, Toni!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5800482

Hey All
LOL Toni on the kids ROFLLLLL Happy birthday !!! girl you look marvelous .
msrobin yes them isurance is crazy arin't they.
Geo loooking good there bro .Nice spread. Looks yummmooooo
Insurance is ok, we acturally had 5 days left , so Dh is gonna Fed Ex it over night.
Im still mad at him
Ric ok on the logs I will look for Fat Logs . Ours was rained on . Who knows what the wood is ? he gave us . Will look for that pine stuff you suggensted. How is your bro doing with the fires ? he still ok ? and out of danger. ? T&P to him
((((((Bonnie)))))
well Dh wants to take a mini vaca and i don't want to go. Over to Georga. I can't see going anywhere in this weather. Been there done that with kids ! I thought vacations are to be fun ? maybe i missed somehting on that ?
well off to get the elliptical torture machine .
have a great day everyoen
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5800677

Good morning all.
Chele...congrats to the kids!!!! Way to go!!!!
Toni...happy birthday!! Many more!!
Robin...hey...now you can come organize MY cupboards and closets...LOL! I'll do YOUR windows for you??? Well..next spring that is...when it's warmer!!
George...looks scrumptious!!! I have a friend who makes apple stack cakes. They are GOOD!! That cranberry pudding looks good too!!!
Bonnie...Prayers for your MIL...poor lady. It's He** to get old. No such thing as golden yrs! Just so you young folks know! Take care of your health NOW!!
Well...off to the surgeon today...finally! Anxious to see what he has to say.
Hi to everyone else I didn't mention...and hope you ALL have a wonderful day!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5800915

Sue, maybe your hubby sees how stressed you are and wants some downtime for you and him both. You might be able to reconnect during some time away, you know? It might be a blessing in disguise.

Happy birthday, Toni! May Oprah poop and pee quickly in your honor on this momentous day, saving you from freezing in the wind. ;)

Marcy, hope you get a good report! You need that encouragement after working so hard with PT these weeks. (((hugs)))

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5801490

Yeah i guess your right GW. :) . He just wants to look at an old log home he used to live in. ? I think i would rather go to Disney World ! lololllllll :)
had a small 4 pt buck in our drivway today , pretty neat.
Hmm any ideas on what to feed deer this time of year? No im not going to shoot them. Just give them a treat for the winter.
snowing and blowing. Might go take a walk in the woods.
later
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5801531

Hi All.

Yes, I'm busy, busy, busy getting the rest of my stuff out of the house next door so Dusty can get in it. We may be crossing each others pathes moving boxes! :O) Jim seems to feel so good, that is really wonderful. Before I could see the pain in his eyes...yesterday they were just crinkly happy.

Wish I had the time to speak to each of you seperately!

Happy Birthday Toni!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #5801555

Happy Birthday, Ms. Antoinine!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5802070

Back from dr. Well...he said I was his best bilateral knee patient he had ever had! The spot on my knee is/was an infected stitch. Told me whatever I had been doing with it...was working...lol. I told him I had been using honey to draw out the poison...he covered his ears..said...I don't want to hear it. I said it works...louder..he says...I don't want to hear it!!!! LOL!!!! Drs. can't seem to get a grasp on home remedies can they??!!
I told him about the RLS...and how it was so much worse since the knee surgery. He told me yes...his FIL had had knee surgery and said the same thing...and 6 mo. later..was STILL having problems sleeping at night!!!!! How Swell!!!! And he doesn't know what to do for it?????? SOOOOOOOOOO...I will be calling my family dr again...to see what he says! This not sleeping is for the birds!!!
Other than that...I am doing good...full range of motion. He wants to see me again in a month. I said to the nurse...ohhh..i see...he wants to see me at Christmas time ...so I can bring cookies huh???? She says...welll yeahhhh!!!! LOL!!
Ok...having potato soup here tonight...and not sure what else? Been snowing around here all day...but not sticking much.
Oh...and Sue...around here...they feed the deer...corn. Dried corn. I know one farmer near New Paris that clears a big area in his field ...and spreads corn every day for the deer. I guess to keep them off the road. It's way back his lane. At dusk you can see 50- 75 deer back there! Quite a sight!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5802128

Marcy, Good for you!! BTW, there is a script available for RLS... I'm surprised your doc didn't write one for you.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5802151

Yes I know , Darius. I asked him about it...my family dr that is. He said he would rather see me take an extra Vicodin at night than to start the Requip Rx.?? Soooooo...if they want me off the Vicodin...then how do I do that???
And the surgeon..today...told me well...just take two Vicodin at night. IN the next breath he says...cut the Vicodin down by one each week...lol. Makes a LOT of sense..huh?

Edited to say...and I talked to a pharmacist and asked him about the Requip? Did he have any feedback on it from patients taking it? And he said most everyone seemed to like the way it worked? And nothing much in the way of side effects...mainly drowsiness,etc.
So sounds like I need to talk to my family dr again.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 4:01 PM
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5802317

Just to put my two cents in...I hope it's okay since I live in Ohio. LOL
I too have RLS. I took Requip. Does cause drowsiness, but also nausea, for me anyway. My doc changed it to Lyrica. I think it is used for Shingles pain. It works for me with only drowsiness as a side effect. Hope this helps.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5802572

Happy Birthday, Toni!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5802620

GUESS WHO FORGOT TO PAY THE MEDICAL INSURANCE HMMM i will give you on hint !! ???? ... Not me !!! HA. I thinks me has a " see i told you so " coming to him. Yes i m gloating and yes i know its bad to do that buuuut... he deserves it. :P
So the fight has ended. LOLLLL
Marcy what a weirdo Dr you got. Sheesh he doesn't like honey ? *wink* HA. :) Funny on the vicodin ? well not really but why vicodin ? instead of a RLS med. Hmmm Dr got a funny bone not working right ? I hope you get it all straightened out for you , so you can get some rest . Thanks on the corn for deer. The young buck was back again this afternoon. I got a mommy deer with twins also. Would like to keep them with a little snack for winter.
well not much here going on
had tacos for dinner.
take care
good night everyone
stay warm
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5802649

Hey thanks Celia! I appreciate the input! Well...I hate nausea...lol...so guess I don't want to try the Requip. Don't mind drowsy too much.
Sue...on the Vicodin. I looked it up on the net, and it is one of the drugs reccommended for RLS...so guess dr is not out of line on that??
Well...I have lived all my life with the RLS...so I may just have to adjust to it being worse than before...we'll see. I hate taking drugs all the time.
BTW Celia, please feel free to join us here if you like. Just jump in whenever! How bad is your RLS? All the time?? Please let me compare with you.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5802680

Wow i would never have thought of vicodin for RLS ? Well you could drink ginger tea for your nausea ? :) i love ginger tea. I drink it every night and morning. Love it. Thanks Darius . :) for her ginger tea .
ok i m realy going to get off the comp and be with my family LOLLLL
good night again
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5802710

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE BIRTHDAY WISHES!!!! LOVE DAVES VIRTUAL BIRTHDAY PARTIES!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL ARE WONDERFUL!!!!

HEY SUE...PULL OUT THE KEG!

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 6:42 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5802724

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONI! Hope you had a great day! And chocolate!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5802822

Happy Birthday Toni!!! Hope it was a Great one!!

Marcy. I would suggest that you try to Requip first. Meds affect different people different ways. Codeine is a big example..SOme peopel get very nauseasted from it and others are just fine. It just depends. For example...when I take Vicodin I get extremely naseated..ugh.. can't handle that.. Sounds like it works just fine for you though
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5802942

OK now that I got my boots off and I have a beer in front of me...

I spent yesterday catching up so I didn't post much. For all of you 'going through' stuff, keep your chin up...God never leaves us! Remember that. Also you know where to find us when you need us. If one of us is not here, then talk to another one. That's how I got through most of 2008. Now that's my piece other than my phone number which is in the address exchange. Feel free to use it anytime. I mean that.

Second, for those who are dealing with depression: Depression lies to people. Bottom line. I know because it tells people they are unloved and I love you all. So don't get saddled in the poo the world sometimes drops on our heads. Turn it into fertilizer and make something new like a new friendship grow. That's all I have to say about that.

Speaking of that...Hey Celia! Welcome Homey!!!!

Ok now about what I have been up to...Yes, my family is still nuts. Certifiable every one of them. But God also has a sense of humor. Since all that stuff with my Mom went down this Spring, my Sister the Sandinista has lost her husband, been arrested on a charge from get this...1989! Lost all of her jewelry including what she kept from me of my mother's when they came and repo'd her rental car she didn't pay for with Momma's insurance money (maybe she bought the jewelry is my best guess) and the idiot left it in there when she came back to Cleveland to oppose me becoming executor of Momma's estate...and the piece de resistance'...has thyroid problems and A SPOT ON HER LUNG. Yes, it's official...I NOW BELIEVE IN KARMA. GOD DON'T LIKE UGLY, PEOPLE!

Oh, oh, oh...I forgot...EVERYONE of the people she gave my Momma's stuff to has kicked her to the curb and are now sucking up to guess who? MOI, cause I told them under no uncertain terms that I will see them in court for what's mine. So far, I have repo'd the China, Momma's flag that was draped over her coffin, and the bulk of her jewelry. The rest, the probate fiduciary is going to sue the dimwit for cause she did not have the authority to dispose of it. I personally think the whole thing is hilarious! That was the best $255 bucks I ever spent I tell ya. I told the accountant to sell everything he gets that my other sister and brother don't want and pay off Momma's bills and contribute what ever is left to Hospice. So thats that.

The garden was spectacular this year even though I was on the cane in the end. One of my neighbors who I think has a little crush on me got all the pots out of the yard and started a compost bin for me for next year. He stops over from time to time and even came over this morning to shovel me out. Nothing serious (yet?). But I will tell ya he's a sweetie for sure. I am gonna have him over for Thanksgiving cause I really do want to cook a dinner to keep me occupied for that day cause I know I am gonna miss Momma like crazy. Still do, always will, for sure.

Other than that...all is well up here. Doing my late fall/ early winter usual...planning my next year's garden. I am gonna do all pots as usual but the thing is it may be later after I get moved. I have the house on the market but have only had one person come to see it. The housing market and all the construction on Mayfield Ave. is making things harder than expected. I don't want to drop the price cause I still have a mortgage to pay for as well as a cross country move and training I have got to pay for and I don't want to borrow to get it done. Derek thinks I should try to stay here for a while at least until I sell the house. I am not feeling another Cleveland winter with my foot and bad leg and back though. Speaking of them...

The Lt and Candi got their orders. They leave Monterey in April and Derek has an 8 month Department Head school in Newport Rhode Island (Candi's family is in Fall River Mass). They are gonna be there until February 2010 and then they are going guess where...Pearl Harbor! They are wanting me to come with them and play nanny to the kids for a while but, I don't know about being trapped on an island with Derek for too long LOL. I may have to swim back to the mainland in search of sanity :) I am weighing my options but I put off starting my business for such a long time dealing with Momma that I don't really know if I want to wait again. Time will tell.

Well that's my story...other than Dr's appointments, doing research and waiting for somebody to buy the castle nothing much more happening with me. I am thinking I may use this time to go back to school for Paralegal because I know I am gonna need some sort of certification to back up the Mediation courses which don't really have anything other than certificates. I want to wait until I am permanent somewhere before I go on to Law school and take the Bar. We'll see how this all turns out.

Well gonna go eat a Birthday present LOL. I told my neighbor this summer sometime that I missed living close to a Popeye's Fried Chicken and she went and got me a bucket/box for my birthday LOL. Pretty cool huh?

Talk to y'all later!!!!

((((((((((((Love and Many Kisses))))))))))))) and thanks so much for the Birthday good wishes!!!!!

Hey I rhymed there ROFL

Toni (and Oprah)

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:38 PM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:45 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5803178

Wow, Toni, what goes around sure comes around!

You've got to meet Celia sometime. She's a pip. :)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5803224

My kinda girl!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5803300

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONI!!!!! Sorry I'm late but with the electrical probs, I didn't think this morning to check B-days and post...
I hit a blizzard coming home from Springfield almost all the way here.. 68 was solid white...It quit just before I hit Urbana...We have about 2 inches in the yard...They called me with tomorrows runs on the way home in my car at 6:45...First Pick up is 10:30 am...IN URBANA!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!
Now I have to drive all the way down there to get the Wheelie, and drive all the way back up here...
I got 2 fuses for the Main breaker in the house, but there are 3 mains with the long fuses!!! This I did not know...nor did Jim when he called and told me what to bring and so far nothing on one...Two more to go...We still have no power in the library, dining room or the 2 upstairs bedrooms...The hall upstairs and the bathroom are fine...Very weird...Jim changed every other fuse in all of the boxes, and it did nothing...I still have no stove and no dryer yet either...
Okay...found it...It was the 2 in the last main breaker box...they were disintegrated...older than Methusela...Dryer is running fine, Jim says he will not plug the stove back in until I bring another set of fuses...
JUST IN CASE...To be blunt, I was in fear of fire as old as this wiring is...I was ready to bail, but scared to leave my things here without someone here to guard them...He is heating up leftover Chicken noodle soup in the microwave for his supper...Good thing I made a big potfull...
I just hope we don't get double pneumonia before we get out of here...

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 8:59 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5803335

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONI!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5803516

Continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/924979/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America