Photo by Melody

Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms: Lavender Gardens

Communities > Forums > Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender bloomsReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ediesd
Colorado Springs, CO

November 13, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5785097

What a joy to read of the lavender gardens. It never ocurred to me to use lavender as a hedge. I would like to try this as a low hedge instead of the boxwood I was considering. Do you know of a type that would fill this bill? Russian sage grows well in CO -- would lavender do as well in this more arid environment. Thanks again, Edie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #5785144

Lavender does very well with the 18 inches of rain it gets annually at Lavender Wind Farms, so I don't think "arid" especially bothers it. I'm less sure how well it would take cold/dry wind, although my hedge is very exposed on a hill on the north (windy) side of my house and does fine.

I think any of the lavenders would work as a hedge... the smaller English ones like Munstead would just have to be planted closer together. I think my 'Grosso' plants are nearly 2 feet apart... they took a couple of years to reach that hedge look, but lavender definitely grows faster than boxwood! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kudos LarryR 1 Nov 6, 2008 11:16 AM
Lavender lust Hemophobic 4 Nov 6, 2008 6:50 PM
Greart article! Abutilon 3 Nov 6, 2008 9:33 PM
Lavender phicks 5 Nov 10, 2008 10:35 PM
Growing tip DriftingDude 7 Nov 17, 2008 8:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America