Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms: Lavender Gardens

Communities > Forums > Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender bloomsReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ediesd
Colorado Springs, CO

November 13, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5785097

What a joy to read of the lavender gardens. It never ocurred to me to use lavender as a hedge. I would like to try this as a low hedge instead of the boxwood I was considering. Do you know of a type that would fill this bill? Russian sage grows well in CO -- would lavender do as well in this more arid environment. Thanks again, Edie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #5785144

Lavender does very well with the 18 inches of rain it gets annually at Lavender Wind Farms, so I don't think "arid" especially bothers it. I'm less sure how well it would take cold/dry wind, although my hedge is very exposed on a hill on the north (windy) side of my house and does fine.

I think any of the lavenders would work as a hedge... the smaller English ones like Munstead would just have to be planted closer together. I think my 'Grosso' plants are nearly 2 feet apart... they took a couple of years to reach that hedge look, but lavender definitely grows faster than boxwood! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kudos LarryR 1 Nov 6, 2008 11:16 AM
Lavender lust Hemophobic 4 Nov 6, 2008 6:50 PM
Greart article! Abutilon 3 Nov 6, 2008 9:33 PM
Lavender phicks 5 Nov 10, 2008 10:35 PM
Growing tip DriftingDude 7 Nov 17, 2008 8:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America