Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?: A different recipe:

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?Replies: 7, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5785548

That orange root, I'm still confused, but that's OK.

Bake the sweet potato just like a regular white potato. Serve just like a baked potato, topped with sour cream and chives, nothing else. You'll never look back!

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5785789

I do that all the time. Good stuff!
Nice article, and enlightening on the difference between the two.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5786154

So, truth is the majority of us have never, ever had a "yam" and most likely never will.

Just bake in jacket, split and add butter...a little cinnamon sprinkled on top. Live not too far from East Texas where the soil is mostly sand and the sweet potatoes grow without even a bump on them, very smooth. Extremely nutricisous (sp?)

Christi

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 13, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5787678

I do love my sweet taters too-LOL--baked or candied -especially in sweet potato pie.
Sandra
hymenocallis
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5801407

I enjoy Sweet potato cassseroles or as they like to say here sweet potato souffle although I don't think that name is accurate. Especially good to take somewhere where a lot of eaters are. Most people think it should be dessert the way I make them.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5803534

Sweet Potato Souffle

Season 2 cups cooked, riced sweet potatoes to taste [1/2 t nutmeg and 1 T dark rum is nice] and stir in 4 egg yolks, beaten until thick. Beat 5 egg whites until stiff. Fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into the sweet potato puree, then carefully fold the lightened puree into the rest of the egg whites. Pour into a buttered, floured souffle dish and bake in 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes.

Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7304446

A favorite BBQ Recipe:

Cut sweet potatoes/Yams into 1/4 inch thick rounds using a serrated knife. Please use a serrated knife and watch your fingers!!!

Spread rounds on a cookie sheet and brush both sides with olive oil.

Sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper & taragon.

Heat on grill until soft. if you are impatient, lightly brown the outside and then microwave right before the rest of the meal.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7304605

No, No Pewjumper not taragon --- Use chilil powder!
My son insisted on cinnamon today and I did, it was okay but I still like chili powder.
I was just kidding, I will try your tarragon this way too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I didn't know... Sundownr 2 Nov 13, 2008 2:03 PM
Now I AM confused........... wannadanc 16 Nov 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Yellow Sweetpotatoes Indy 5 Nov 25, 2009 2:24 AM
Sweet potatoes are also tasty eaten raw Katlian 14 Nov 19, 2012 1:36 PM
Good phicks 1 Nov 13, 2008 8:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America