Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!: Growing citrus from cuttings

Communities > Forums > Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants!Replies: 7, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
allthingschili
Las Vegas, NV

November 13, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5785714

Howdy Sally:
My name is Bob Wiseman and I'm interested in growing citrus from cuttings. Is it possible or am I barking up the wrong tree. I liked your article on growing citrus from seeds and I'll try it this weekend.

By the way, I have a small Internet company - http://www.allthingschili.com - wherein I sell chile powders, spices and stuff to avid chili cooks, bbq buddies and chile/chili aficianados. My powders are winning cooking competitions all over the Planet (kinda tickles this old cowboy). Among my inventory are New Mexico chile seeds, ie; NM 6/4, Sandia, Big Jim and Joe E. Parker. Pass the word I could use the business.

Bob Wiseman

Thumbnail by allthingschili
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5787484

I just googled and read a few comments on the internet that say you can root citrus cuttings. Now that leaves leeway in terns of what size and age of cuttings and how you treat them. Rooting hormone may help, as bottom heat.
As far as promoting your company--well if I can make an article of it, then I know who to interview!
Allwild
North, TX

May 14, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6548039

Hi allthingschili I was trying to google info about rooting citrus cuttings and came across this article! So here I am & wondering if you were successful in rooting any citrus cuttings? I just received some cuttings from a fellow DGer. I dipped the cuttings in rooting hormone powder and planted them directly into some miracle grow potting soil. The leaves are falling off the plants but I'm hoping they are rooting and will eventually be able to grow new leaves.

I haven't checked out your website (YET) but love chilies and put salsa of some kind on just about everything... I even put fresh jalepenos in my fruit jams when I make it!!

sallyg, after reading this article, (which I enjoyed very much!!) I tried several times to grow oranges and lemon seed but have not been sucessful yet! I'm not sure if maybe it's due to the GMO's being sold or what? I have some Meyers lemon seeds in some soil right now but unfortunately they got a little squashed in the mail. I still have my fingers crossed though!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6548112

allwild--
Sorry to hear you haven't been successful! The seeds that I have grown either came right out of a fruit, or were moist and refrigerated in plastic, until they were planted. I'm not sure if that made a difference.Also, they took three weeks before the sprout came up.
Good luck, and if I have time, I'll try to verify whether keeping them fresh and moist should matter. For some things it does.
Allwild
North, TX

May 14, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6548221

sallyg, thank you so much for responding! I think there is something to what you are saying about the fresh, moist seeds. The Meyers lemon seeds I just received were fresh from the lemon and mailed to me in a damp paper towel and plastic sealed bag. You could probably find the discussion on the seed trade forum under something like "looking for citrus seeds" LOL.

That must have been part of my problem in the past "failures", because I would let the seeds dry out before planting them and when I read your article, I think I dug out some seeds I had been saving for who knows how long!! chuckle!!

I haven't given up though!! But I am also hoping that my cuttings make it.

Thanks again,
Christine

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6548297

I hope your cuttings make it too!! my Meyers from seeds, and other citrus, have had a horrible winter full of spider mite battles.
Redstone99
Stanley
Canada

December 29, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8946344

I one day took some of the prunings from my lemon seedlings (yr old from seeds) in gallon pot and stripped the bottom 2" of leaves and placed them in a tall babyfood jar and filled with lukewarm (75-80*F) to just below bottom leaves. Placed them in a warm semi-shade spot (behind off to the side of mother plant). This gives them about 3-4 hrs of morning/afternoon sun. The water changed every 2-3 days(some as long as a week. They all sprouted roots in 1-3 weeks and then transfered to organic rich potting soil mix and gave they a heavy watering and drain in sink. They all are growing like mad.
My problem is that I live in a zone 4. So you can grow lemons from cuttings with no hormones needed. Use spring water.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8946356

Hello~
Thanks for reporting your method and success! Other readers will surely appreciate that.

My one remaining Meyer lemon seedling (a friend gave me seeds from a fruit of her commercially grown tree) is in my laundry room; it is also too cold here for outside. As for the mites and scale., this fall I put all of my potted plants into a shed for several days, along with a 'NoPest Strip"" as a fumigant. So far, so good.. I'm also using a homemade neem spray occasionally, before even noting bugs, hoping to prevent them.

And I am using collected rainwater exclusively on my potted plants now. I have well water , but a water softener which puts salt in the water temporarily, every few weeks. I have some very happy looking plants so far this winter.

Thanks for reading and commenting : ^)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Citrus seeds = easy houseplants! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy is so true! podster 4 Aug 14, 2012 5:51 PM
Good phicks 3 Nov 15, 2008 4:29 PM
What fruit to expect of citrus seedlings dpmichael 10 Nov 29, 2008 10:02 PM
citrus seeds bunt 1 Nov 11, 2008 2:45 PM
Citrus seeds jvdl1 2 Nov 11, 2008 2:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America