Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?: Yellow Sweetpotatoes

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?Replies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5786441

Although orange varieties of sweetpotatoes are usually sold in the supermarket, I raise and prefer the yellow ones like O'Henry and Nancy Hall. Oh, I raise some orange Beauregard too but find them too soft and whangy.

They grew extremely well up north here and are often oversize by early October.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 23, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7300997

I raised Beauregard and Georgia Jet this year. It was a great and I mean a great season for them. Best crop I ever had. They also took up more room in the garden than they ever had before! Smothered out my peanuts I grew this year. But I rather have the sweet potatoes so I am not complaining , I am just amazed.

The Georgia Jet is a little redder, is much rounder, tubers stayed closer to the center of the plant, but is not as uniform, or smooth as the Beuaregard. The Beauregard is much smoother, longer, and thus stores better than the Georgia Jet. Beauregard's tubers does seem to wander out from the center some what.. Both taste to me the same- both great!.

I like them best cut up like french fries, coated with olive oil, and chili powder and baked in the oven. I also make sweet potatoe pie wit out the crust, and artificial sugar (have to watch the carbs), we also bake them of course. Oh, and a new way this year was to cut up sweet potatoes into slices with onions, olive oil, cover pan with aluminium and baked till almost done then throw a bag of stir fried vegs like broccoli/cauliflower on top of that.

Please tell me the shapes, smoothness, storage life of the O'Henry and Nancy Hall? Is there really a difference in the taste? So far a sweet potatoe is about all the same to me, even the Porta Rica I planted one year. I considered the O'Henry this year but went for the Georgia Jet instead.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7303860

There is a distinct difference between yellow and orange/red sweetpotatoes. The O'Henrys are very smooth and nicely shaped. They can grow large [one this year was about 6 pounds...very big]. Most are a nice medium size. The taste is excellent to me.

The Nancy Hall is a bit darker yellow and a bit stronger flavored and rougher in shape...not as smooth. I prefer the newer O'Henry.

I suggest that you might try a few O'Henry. I am not a southerner so I prefer the yellow.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7304356

So what is yellow to you?
Do you consider Beauregard a yellow or a red? Georgia Jet is a red, but really it is not that much darker than a Beauregard. I consider Beauregard a yellow, but I may be wrong on that.
So O'Henry is yellow, lighter than a Beauragard or lighter even?
hmmmm, shoot! Next year I was just goin to go for Beauregard alone, but I guess I will follow your advice Indy and order me some O'Henry.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7306892

The skin color isn't what we are talking about, but rather the cooked flesh color.

O'Henry is, well, light yellow. Beauregard when cooked is orange...much darker than O'Henry.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 25, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7307501

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A different recipe: Molamola 7 Nov 24, 2009 3:12 AM
I didn't know... Sundownr 2 Nov 13, 2008 2:03 PM
Now I AM confused........... wannadanc 16 Nov 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Sweet potatoes are also tasty eaten raw Katlian 14 Nov 19, 2012 1:36 PM
Good phicks 1 Nov 13, 2008 8:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America