Photo by Melody

Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?: Well done, Lois

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which?Replies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5787919

Good job on the distinctions!

As a young adult I lived where white sweet potatoes were prolific. When we raked and burned fall leaves, we'd throw a few in the fire, and eat them like candy as we worked. Yum.

I personally prefer baked sweet potatoes to baked white potatoes, and usually put a bushel in my root cellar every fall. I also use them in a variety of other ways but baking is easiest when cooking just for one. Next spring I plan to start growing my own if I can get slips in a timely fashion.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 22, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7300949

Darius;
A couple of years back I found a hill of white sweet potatoes in my patch. Before this I did not know they existed. The nursery must have mixed it up with the rest of the dark orange. . My parents 80-85 years olds, favorite thing in the fall is me bringing in the sweet potatoes to them. I brought in the whites one to them and I was told flat out that they cared nothing for white sweet potatoes. So they were familiar with them, and for some reason they did not like them. I could not really tell a differences in the taste (I think I couldn't anyway) except they were not smooth, or uniform in shape or as big as the regular sweet potatoes. They also did not store as well. I think that is why my parents turned their noses up to the whites.

I still have sweet potatoes from this fall. It was a very good year for them this year. The best season I have ever had. I have given big Wal Mart shopping bags full to my cousins visiting out of Ohio, several neighbors, my parents of course, plus I have frozen 50 quarts and canned 60 quarts, and I still have plenty keeping good down in the basement. I feel like I have struck gold.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7300966

I like to see home gardeners keeping these older varieties in production as commercial growers turn away from them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Potatoes or Yams - Which is Which? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A different recipe: Molamola 7 Nov 24, 2009 3:12 AM
I didn't know... Sundownr 2 Nov 13, 2008 2:03 PM
Now I AM confused........... wannadanc 16 Nov 19, 2012 10:00 AM
Yellow Sweetpotatoes Indy 5 Nov 25, 2009 2:24 AM
Sweet potatoes are also tasty eaten raw Katlian 14 Nov 19, 2012 1:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America