Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Composting, on the not-so-grand scale: It does work!

Communities > Forums > Article: Composting, on the not-so-grand scale
bookmark
Forum: Article: Composting, on the not-so-grand scaleReplies: 5, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosysunset
Kurten, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5795681

Great article Sally, may it reach all wanna be composters with little yards. Such is me and I have been using your method since mid summer. I was frustrated with all the little bags of coffee grounds, eggshells, and veggie peels that I kept saving for the nice big, mythical compost pile. So one day I just dug a hole and emptied those plastic bags contents right into the soil, then buried it well. I worried about a dog digging it up - we have lots of dogs, or a night varmint, but never happened. My Belinda's Dream rose (site of some of those buried egg shells, coffee grounds and bananna peels) was lush and beautiful as never before. So simple and it works!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5797660

I'm glad to hear you're using and liking this technique, even if I can't take credit for telling you to.
Bananas and/or peels are thought by many to be very good for roses. Congratulations on your pretty rose! I'll have to try that myself.
Soozie
Ballwin, MO

November 17, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5800650

I put these 'kitchen parings' into a blender before burying them in my garden. Saves the worms some time and animals do not recognize them and therefore do not dig them up.
margaret700
Pittsburgh, PA

November 18, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5803489

Good one, Soozie!
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

November 18, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5805707

I h
ave been doing that type of composting for years.When I had
raised beds for my vegies I used to bury Lobster shells quite deep.They generated heat as they broke down,The animals didn't bother them.I planted cucumbers on top of them in the warm soil had more cucumbers than I've ever grown.I took them to the lake and gave them to all my friends on the beach.JOY

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5806249

Thanks Sozie, and agedgardener, for your added comments, and margaret thanks for reading!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Composting, on the not-so-grand scale Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
An old practice that still works! pamsaplantin 1 Nov 15, 2008 4:31 PM
Bravo! Sundownr 5 Nov 15, 2008 5:32 PM
Question for you... tucsonjill 12 Nov 21, 2008 1:41 AM
Now you tell me! tylertoo 1 Nov 16, 2008 2:46 PM
This was great news! gardener0302 0 Nov 17, 2008 6:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America