-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5798634

Steve wants to know how/what to use to take a round cane and turn into a spiral with cutouts in the spiral like this one? Any tips welcome.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5798652

The cutout

Thumbnail by haighr

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5800271

I've seen some similar to what you show, I believe the center has been carved out, and a lot of hand sanding.
I was given this (stick, limb) which is odd but it grew this way, only the bark has been removed.

Thumbnail by rentman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5800293

Thanks, I will tell him. We actually have a couple of those that you show there, they had been wrapped by a vine and when Steve removed the vine he had that swirl effect. I also grow corkscrew willow and that has a similar effect of twisted. I will tell him.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 19, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5809168

There are sprial attachments for wood turning tools, aren't there?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5809369

Don't know, what type tool would it attach to?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5809576

I don't think there is a tool that will do the type of through cut shown in your pictures, haighr, if you find one let me know.
I cut one some time ago, can't find it now, but it was not a through cut. I'll try and find it.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 19, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5809848

here is a link to one type:
http://home.att.net/~waterfront-woods/Articles/spiralintro.html

It is big (if you are on dialup)

This example is for constant diameter and equal twists, but that could be modified to stretch the twist.

I remember hand whitling Diamond Willow walking sticks as a boy in N. MN. The diamonds were always a darker harder wood.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5810237

Yes Bubba that's the way I made them...but you see there is a lot of 'hand' work and sanding, I think haighr wanted a quick system.
It's a lot of work but very rewarding and only a woodworker would see the labor involved.
I'm still looking for the piece I made ? ? :-)
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5811629

Oh thanks that is exactly what he is looking for. We are not looking for a quick system rentman, just the procedure for doing it. Steve loves woodworking and has been doing such for 30+ years. This is just his latest challenge. Thanks.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5812500

I believe there is/was a spiral cutter attachment that was used on a lathe. Been a long time so I could have imagined it too. I think it held a router and was pulled along as the lathe turned, probably by hand, or very slowly.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5815506

Thanks, we will check it out.
jolj
Columbia, SC

September 8, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #7041414

HI,
SEARS has a set up for cutting spiral. There is another machine that will make the spiral from 12" long to 8' lond & from 2" to 8" dai. The machine cost $800. to $3000. & take up 4'x12' space in your shop. You will need a 3hp router which does not come with the machine, however the company will send you a free tape of how & why.
DVDOG
Easton, PA

August 24, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8774854

HI GUYS, it's been a while since the 09' post of jolj. wondering if you ever found your answer. i,m looking to purchace a home in DFW area as of this writting and a ton of my woodworking referance is stored in a warehouse up in OK. in it are Shopsmith & Woodnotes mags in which one i don't know is an article on the simple device [a turning box] with a sled mount router attached to a

Woodsmith or Shopnotes mags have an article on a turning box for example turning table legs tapored or straight using a sled mounted router drawn by cable or chain using bicycle sprockets ,oh yeah,you have to build it.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 24, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8774914

Welcome to Texas, DVDOG.

Are you a member of the Shopsmith or Handyman Club of America websites?
Carolina_Mike
Whitesburg, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9237609

The fastest way to do this type of spiral cut (without a spiral cutting power tool) would be as follows: In my humble opinion of course...

Cut pieces of 1/2" tape about 12" long or however long you want the spiral to be. The spiral in the picture would require two pieces of tape...one on each side opposing each other.

Then, spiral the tape around the shaft to look like the cuts you want to make. If you want the cuts to taper to a point at each end, trim the tape with a razor blade.

Next, spray paint or lacquer over the taped area of the shaft and remove the tape. Or, you could trace around the tape with a pencil.

Now, clamp your shaft on a flat surface and get your roughest rasp set and start digging with the rasp at a sharp angle lined up with the marked area.

As you dig one area down to the center, turn the shaft a little and dig another area that connects to the area you just finished.

After rasping from both side, you will connect the slots.

Then, you can finish up with sandpaper strips and scotch-brite pads.

A little elbow grease will be necessary to get the results in the pic. Any machine will make perfect spirals with the same exact slot width. It will look cheap and mass produced. Using a rasp is quite fast really. I would say one shaft could be dug, sanded, and finished in one good days work.

Be careful, when wood is cut like this, it is very easy to split. Maybe wrap the area with fiberglass mesh and a clear epoxy.

Best of luck to ya,

Mike
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9238430

Mike, Sounds OK but still a lots of work ???

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America