Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

My favorite garden catalog is

There are a total of 209 votes:

From a flower seed company. Which one?
(26 votes, 12%)
Red dot

From a company that sells bulbs and tubers. Which one?
(26 votes, 12%)
Red dot

From a company that sells trees and shrubs. Which one?
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

From a vegetable seed company. Which one?
(25 votes, 11%)
Red dot

My favorite catalog has a bit of everything. Which company?
(91 votes, 43%)
Red dot

I don't order from mail order sources. Why?
(31 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Oh, just me then?
I find mail order companies are very expensive, and the plants/bulbs e.t.c are much smaller than I expect. I've also not had much luck in keeping the plants alive, and they are quick to blame the postal sytem for any damage. There are many local nurseries that need my support, and at least I know the plants are suitable to my climate.

I voted for a little of everything. My favorite is Plant Delights. It has wonderful plants and the descriptions are hilarious! The artwork on the cover is great. Very funny and fun to read. I really look forward to getting it and reading it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Pinetree Garden Seed, they sell seeds in packages that are small enough for a family garden, have bulbs, plants and wonderful soap and garden supplies and BOOKS.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I like ordering from Whatcom seed Co. They are a little pricey but have rare and exotic plants that I like to think I might grow. I just get carried away looking at the pics and imagining them in my garden.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm with you Velnita-- I love Plant Delights Catalog ♥

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I like Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. I love browsing through looking at all the pictures and the interesting/unusual seeds that they offer. I've always had great germination rates with their seeds.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

My favorite catalogs are usually full of lilies (lilium). Favorite catalogs would include B&D Lilies, Faraway Flowers , the Lily Garden & the Lily Nook. My favorite with a bit of everything but not your "run of the mill" everything would be Klehm's Songsparrow. The magnolias and peonies in there are to die for ;)

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:48 AM

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I "won" my perennial plants on ebay last year. I started the season (my first as a flower gardener) with a large order from Springhill Nursery and lost half of them. Some because the outside cat dug them up and the rest I chalked up to my inexperience. I figured buying at half price on ebay and losing half was a break even proposition for me. It helped my average in gaining some experience and having the cat disappear.

I didn't lose nearly so many after the first batch. I'd subscribed to Dave's Garden by then.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I order on line a lot, but not from mail order. Most things I want to exist in published catalogues. And I can get it all on line anyway.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Another vote for Plant Delights catalog. It is entertaining and informative at the same time.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love lots of favorite iris catalogs -- especially Blyth's of Australia. But also Mid-America, Schreiner's, Cooleys, and Superstition -- and quite a few others.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

'Florida Colors' annual catalog, nothing high tech but boy do they have nice plumeria varieties :-)

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I checked "a little bit of everything" but that's not quite right. I start w/rose catalogues and go on into the books about everything under the sun or shade. I may start out w/the idea of buying a certain rose and end up buying a pkg of seeds - just whatever strikes my fancy or I finally get a lucid moment and realize that my eyes are bigger than my muscles. I will read any catalog that isn't boring and keep at it until I have practically memorized it. I get a real education that way.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I too like Baker Creek - wonderful selection of heirlooms. A close second is Nichols Nursery in Oregon.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Botanus is my favorite when I am at home (BC). Gorgeous catalog and plants are just as nice. ^_^

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My favorites are: Willhite, Twilley, Rupp, Johnny's, and Baker Creek.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gotta be Plant Delights!

Kannapolis, NC

Plant Delights gets another vote, followed closely by Bluestone Perennials.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I vote for "buy from my local greenhouses" cuz I know what they are when I see 'em!!
I'm concerned I'd either buy more than I need & waste $$ unnecessarily, or not buy enough & it's late enough in the season I'd have to go to the greenhouse anyway!! PLUS I know what's really local for my area from the staff :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Can we talk? I mean really talk? Have you got an hour? Here are some of my favs that I order from every year:
Seeds: Alberta Nurseries (Bow Seeds), T & M, Parks, Florabunda, Van Dusen Gardens, Richters, Dominion, Westcoast Seeds,
Perennials & Bulbous Things: I'm with you DonMac on Botanus
Lilies: Valley K Lily Farm
Dalhias: Ferncliff, Abloom
A little bit of everything: Veseys.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 12:21 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ps who has received, drooled over and ordered from the 2009 catalogues already? O pick me! O pick me!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I was very good this year and only ordered veggie seeds. I still have orphans living in pots behind the garage so I decided I can't order any new plants until those find a home. That said, I love kitchengardenseeds.com because they have so many unusual varieties. Next summer I'll have red carrots, purple radishes, and speckled lettuce (cross my fingers).

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I enjoy looking at the new catalogues. I hate looking at the new catalogues. I was blissfully unaware I wanted anything before I looked at the new catalogues.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LMBO gk1153!! Check out page 17. I dare you not to order from page 17.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

No way dahlianut. I need to save my pennies for Christmas. I'll find out what's on page 17 when I recover from that.

burpee, seeds of change~~A TIE!!!

Barstow, CA(Zone 9a)

Mail order companies seem expensive and I like to see what I'm getting before I pay for it. May reconsider mail order companies in the future but they want orders and money so wildly far in advance that I'm reticent even to try them. I don't know that any of the Big Box stores that I buy from "need my support" but they have stuff that I want often close to the time that I want it at satisfactory prices so I buy from them. I've only had some land of my own for a year now and the rabbits ate virtually everything, often before I even got a chance to see what it was going to look like. Newly built chicken wire enclosed 1300 sq.ft. front yard area has a 280 sq.ft. area already amended and manured and ready for Spring planting (finished amending and manuring it today). So I'm looking forward to the 2009 growing season.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I love Raintree Nursery!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm too new to gardening to know what's out there, but thanks to this thread I might look into something. Generally I don't read magazines. I get everything from RU's and home improvement stores.

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

My favorite is Forest Farm. Many hard to find plants.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Forest Farm. Almost a fantasy, although I've purchsed many shrubs from the over the years. Also love J.L. Hudson and Antique Rose Emporium.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Plant Delights & Bluestone get read and re-read. I would like to buy one of everything in Arrowhead Alpines..the covers are incredibly original, but once you get into the meat, it's just a list of great plants (no pics). The Heirloom Roses and David Austin are gorgeous.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Rose catalogs are my downfall. I agree with grampapa, Heirloom Roses and David Austin are great for colors and landscapes while Palatines for quality and variety. Those are my favorites so far.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I use the Internet! Glossy, expensive catalogs with no search capability are not the way to go for me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

dparsons they just send them to me free when I order online. Don't you get unrequested catalogs? I'm not really a big fan of hard copy (because of the tree factor) but they do make a good read in the time of the cold and the dark. I also like the pictures to update my garden book. It helps to show new gardeners what they are getting (seeds or divisions) when they come over if its a blooming plant. This is particularly important during the annual gifting of the dahlia tubers. You didn't hear it from me, but dahlia tubers just a tad funny looking and don't create the same excitement as showing a pic of what they will turn into.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Can we clarify? Aren't 'catalogues' online as well as hardcopy in this poll? I think of them as one and the same. I get emails when the online catalogues are updated, for sales and when the next seasons catalogue is available. Isn't that the same as getting it in the mail? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

For clarification I think it safe to assume a collection of items for mail order purchase should be considered a catalogue.

I think the basic question being polled is do you order and have them delivered or do you go to a store/nursery and pick them up.

If you have them delivered where or what type of catalogue do you get your inspiration for ordering.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh gosh, so many to like. Let's see:

Lilies - B&D, Buggycrazy (huge, fresh bulbs always from both)
Peonies - Klehm, Adelman (huge, fresh roots always from both)
Perennials - Klehm Songsparrow (I love everything they have - my hands down favorite perennial online seller)
Spring bulbs - Old House Gardens (awesome specialty bulbs, the BEST service), John Scheepers (or VE - great prices and quality for larger plantings), White Flower Farm (pricey but consistently good quality in many years' experience)
Warm weather plants - Old House Gardens (they have a great selection of bulbs that do well in the south), Easy to Grow Bulbs (they ship a great product!)

I am sure I'll think of others!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O I could vacation at John Scheepers. The pics alone are worth perusing if you don't order!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.