Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: My favorite garden catalog is

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 108, Views: 1,032
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

November 17, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5800075

There are a total of 209 votes:

From a flower seed company. Which one?
(26 votes, 12%)
Red dot

From a company that sells bulbs and tubers. Which one?
(26 votes, 12%)
Red dot

From a company that sells trees and shrubs. Which one?
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

From a vegetable seed company. Which one?
(25 votes, 11%)
Red dot

My favorite catalog has a bit of everything. Which company?
(91 votes, 43%)
Red dot

I don't order from mail order sources. Why?
(31 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 17, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5800125

Oh, just me then?
I find mail order companies are very expensive, and the plants/bulbs e.t.c are much smaller than I expect. I've also not had much luck in keeping the plants alive, and they are quick to blame the postal sytem for any damage. There are many local nurseries that need my support, and at least I know the plants are suitable to my climate.
valrita

November 17, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5800150

I voted for a little of everything. My favorite is Plant Delights. It has wonderful plants and the descriptions are hilarious! The artwork on the cover is great. Very funny and fun to read. I really look forward to getting it and reading it.
http://www.plantdelights.com/
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5800211

Pinetree Garden Seed, they sell seeds in packages that are small enough for a family garden, have bulbs, plants and wonderful soap and garden supplies and BOOKS.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

November 17, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5800233

I like ordering from Whatcom seed Co. They are a little pricey but have rare and exotic plants that I like to think I might grow. I just get carried away looking at the pics and imagining them in my garden.

http://seedrack.com/04.html
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5800331

I'm with you Velnita-- I love Plant Delights Catalog ♥
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5800335

I like Baker Creek Heirloom seeds. I love browsing through looking at all the pictures and the interesting/unusual seeds that they offer. I've always had great germination rates with their seeds.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5800430

My favorite catalogs are usually full of lilies (lilium). Favorite catalogs would include B&D Lilies, Faraway Flowers , the Lily Garden & the Lily Nook. My favorite with a bit of everything but not your "run of the mill" everything would be Klehm's Songsparrow. The magnolias and peonies in there are to die for ;)

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:48 AM
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5800517

I "won" my perennial plants on ebay last year. I started the season (my first as a flower gardener) with a large order from Springhill Nursery and lost half of them. Some because the outside cat dug them up and the rest I chalked up to my inexperience. I figured buying at half price on ebay and losing half was a break even proposition for me. It helped my average in gaining some experience and having the cat disappear.

I didn't lose nearly so many after the first batch. I'd subscribed to Dave's Garden by then.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5800659

I order on line a lot, but not from mail order. Most things I want to exist in published catalogues. And I can get it all on line anyway.
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5800671

Another vote for Plant Delights catalog. It is entertaining and informative at the same time.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5800892

I love lots of favorite iris catalogs -- especially Blyth's of Australia. But also Mid-America, Schreiner's, Cooleys, and Superstition -- and quite a few others.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5800971

'Florida Colors' annual catalog, nothing high tech but boy do they have nice plumeria varieties :-)
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5800996

I checked "a little bit of everything" but that's not quite right. I start w/rose catalogues and go on into the books about everything under the sun or shade. I may start out w/the idea of buying a certain rose and end up buying a pkg of seeds - just whatever strikes my fancy or I finally get a lucid moment and realize that my eyes are bigger than my muscles. I will read any catalog that isn't boring and keep at it until I have practically memorized it. I get a real education that way.

Ann
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5801001

I too like Baker Creek - wonderful selection of heirlooms. A close second is Nichols Nursery in Oregon.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5801016

Botanus is my favorite when I am at home (BC). Gorgeous catalog and plants are just as nice. ^_^
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5801241

My favorites are: Willhite, Twilley, Rupp, Johnny's, and Baker Creek.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5801325

Gotta be Plant Delights!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 17, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5801426

Plant Delights gets another vote, followed closely by Bluestone Perennials.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 17, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5801591

I vote for "buy from my local greenhouses" cuz I know what they are when I see 'em!!
I'm concerned I'd either buy more than I need & waste $$ unnecessarily, or not buy enough & it's late enough in the season I'd have to go to the greenhouse anyway!! PLUS I know what's really local for my area from the staff :-)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5801610

Can we talk? I mean really talk? Have you got an hour? Here are some of my favs that I order from every year:
Seeds: Alberta Nurseries (Bow Seeds), T & M, Parks, Florabunda, Van Dusen Gardens, Richters, Dominion, Westcoast Seeds,
Perennials & Bulbous Things: I'm with you DonMac on Botanus
Lilies: Valley K Lily Farm
Dalhias: Ferncliff, Abloom
A little bit of everything: Veseys.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 12:21 PM
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5801755

ps who has received, drooled over and ordered from the 2009 catalogues already? O pick me! O pick me!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5801812

I was very good this year and only ordered veggie seeds. I still have orphans living in pots behind the garage so I decided I can't order any new plants until those find a home. That said, I love kitchengardenseeds.com because they have so many unusual varieties. Next summer I'll have red carrots, purple radishes, and speckled lettuce (cross my fingers).
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5801822

I enjoy looking at the new catalogues. I hate looking at the new catalogues. I was blissfully unaware I wanted anything before I looked at the new catalogues.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5801827

LMBO gk1153!! Check out page 17. I dare you not to order from page 17.
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5801837

No way dahlianut. I need to save my pennies for Christmas. I'll find out what's on page 17 when I recover from that.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5801903

burpee, seeds of change~~A TIE!!!
bgrumbin
Barstow, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5801927

Mail order companies seem expensive and I like to see what I'm getting before I pay for it. May reconsider mail order companies in the future but they want orders and money so wildly far in advance that I'm reticent even to try them. I don't know that any of the Big Box stores that I buy from "need my support" but they have stuff that I want often close to the time that I want it at satisfactory prices so I buy from them. I've only had some land of my own for a year now and the rabbits ate virtually everything, often before I even got a chance to see what it was going to look like. Newly built chicken wire enclosed 1300 sq.ft. front yard area has a 280 sq.ft. area already amended and manured and ready for Spring planting (finished amending and manuring it today). So I'm looking forward to the 2009 growing season.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5802234

I love Raintree Nursery!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5802486

I'm too new to gardening to know what's out there, but thanks to this thread I might look into something. Generally I don't read magazines. I get everything from RU's and home improvement stores.
quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5802542

My favorite is Forest Farm. Many hard to find plants.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5802638

Yes, Forest Farm. Almost a fantasy, although I've purchsed many shrubs from the over the years. Also love J.L. Hudson and Antique Rose Emporium.

Donna
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5802867

Plant Delights & Bluestone get read and re-read. I would like to buy one of everything in Arrowhead Alpines..the covers are incredibly original, but once you get into the meat, it's just a list of great plants (no pics). The Heirloom Roses and David Austin are gorgeous.
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5802941

Rose catalogs are my downfall. I agree with grampapa, Heirloom Roses and David Austin are great for colors and landscapes while Palatines for quality and variety. Those are my favorites so far.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5803111

I use the Internet! Glossy, expensive catalogs with no search capability are not the way to go for me.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5803176

dparsons they just send them to me free when I order online. Don't you get unrequested catalogs? I'm not really a big fan of hard copy (because of the tree factor) but they do make a good read in the time of the cold and the dark. I also like the pictures to update my garden book. It helps to show new gardeners what they are getting (seeds or divisions) when they come over if its a blooming plant. This is particularly important during the annual gifting of the dahlia tubers. You didn't hear it from me, but dahlia tubers just a tad funny looking and don't create the same excitement as showing a pic of what they will turn into.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5803219

Can we clarify? Aren't 'catalogues' online as well as hardcopy in this poll? I think of them as one and the same. I get emails when the online catalogues are updated, for sales and when the next seasons catalogue is available. Isn't that the same as getting it in the mail? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5803280

For clarification I think it safe to assume a collection of items for mail order purchase should be considered a catalogue.

I think the basic question being polled is do you order and have them delivered or do you go to a store/nursery and pick them up.

If you have them delivered where or what type of catalogue do you get your inspiration for ordering.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5803337

Oh gosh, so many to like. Let's see:

Lilies - B&D, Buggycrazy (huge, fresh bulbs always from both)
Peonies - Klehm, Adelman (huge, fresh roots always from both)
Perennials - Klehm Songsparrow (I love everything they have - my hands down favorite perennial online seller)
Spring bulbs - Old House Gardens (awesome specialty bulbs, the BEST service), John Scheepers (or VE - great prices and quality for larger plantings), White Flower Farm (pricey but consistently good quality in many years' experience)
Warm weather plants - Old House Gardens (they have a great selection of bulbs that do well in the south), Easy to Grow Bulbs (they ship a great product!)

I am sure I'll think of others!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5803362

O I could vacation at John Scheepers. The pics alone are worth perusing if you don't order!!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5803508

Schreiner's Irises, I suppose - total eye candy! John Scheepers is a close second.

When it comes to wide variety of everything, I like Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.
lisabeth
State of..., MA
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5803519

White Flower Farm in CT for Perennials Plus...Brent & Becky's online catalog for bulbs because they link from one plant to others that are in bloom at the same time. Very cool. ...Bluestone Perennials has a very organized catalog with a lot of information that helps me choose whether a plant will work for me or not. White Flower Farm though, has the prettiest paper catalog. The Fedco Seed catalog is very well done. Tons of info, organic seeds, careful not to offer any Genetically modified seeds, cute illustrations and great prices.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 9:57 PM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 9:58 PM
LostIndian
Algonac, MI

November 18, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5803630

BURPEE

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5803684

I vote Logee's.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5803730

ok here's the problem. Everyone is contributing new and wonderful and addicting sources. Is anyone else having a problem? OMG Logees. I have just discovered Logees. Good thing I can't do tropicals. SAVED BY THE ZONAL MATRIX! Whew that was dangerous for a moment.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5803749

I'm not voting. I hate having to pick favorites and therefore do not.

But I love having catalogs, print ones I can flip through and make notes from, and then go order online if I decide to actually spend money.

I did just receive an order from Pinetree, it is a very nice catalog and outfit, lots and lots of good stuff in there, it was fun. I think I found the link to them here at DG actually... and the thingie on the website that said "click here to receive a free catalog" was broken, but when I emailed them they were nice and just sent me one.

With the order I got a coupon for two bucks too, I think they like me. Or want me to order again, one.

;-)
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5803772

Yes Dahlianut, I do get hard copies with my orders and I suppose you could consider online as "catalogs" and the plants certainly get mailed. I find the hard copy catalogs are sometimes organized to be "showy" and I don't want to take the time to sort through them or take the space to store them - especially when I've just ordered what I'm interested in from that company. I toss them away as soon as they arrive (hint to all mail order companies). The internet is much bigger and I find things of interest much faster along with pertinent information on the plants (not always from the seller). Some of the companies I've gotten good plants/service from:

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
High Country Gardens
Forest Farm
Niche Gardens
Mountain Valley Growers
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5803782

dparsons I too am an online nut but have you thought about sharing the joy? Passing those catalogues to those who aren't computer friendly like seniors? Just a thought.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
7:12 AM

Post #5804062

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I think i have to say all of the above. I love online catalogs,ilove snail mail catalogs,ilove my local nursery,there are times i even love wally world especialy this summer when i bought 12 crapemyrtles for $2 apeice.
The only favorite i did'nt see mentioned was Homestead Farms in MO for daylillies and hostas. Oh and OAKES in Tenn. for daylillies. My local nursery in Clarksville AR is Blossumberrys and well known in this area.
Other favs are Pinetree seeds in Maine, Schriners for iris. Ashdown Roses,Dooley Gardens for peonys,Hilltop Farms for Hostas,Baker Creek for herbs and heirlooms,Select Seeds flowers,John Scheepers for garden seeds,Seymours select seeds, Bluestone for their shrubs,Shumways for southern seeds.

I don't order from all of these every year but have quite a few times and always love to look. Pinetree i order from every year because they have packets with small amnts of seeds and are less expensive than other companys.
I like the sales on line but i dearly love to curl up in bed and wear the catalogs out every winter.lookig and looking and marking pages for what i want and than in spring get real and order just what i need--well-- except for a few things. Catalogs are the greatest invention ever.

Did someone say they've received new 2009 catalogs? Have i been neglected? LOL
rickadee
st charles, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
7:29 AM

Post #5804078

I do a little of both. I shop online for my perennials but go to local nurseries for my annuals. That way I help out both. I like Plant Delights, Bluestone Perennials, White Flower Farm and Parks Seeds. I do like to order online. I'd rather look for the plants I'm interested in on the web because you can get more info about the plant that way.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
9:21 AM

Post #5804131

my favorite seed catalog is baker creek heirloom seeds, but i also like totallytomatoes and tomato growers but this year i think i am going to just buy a few packets of seed from my local nursery because the price of shippingand handling from these companies are more than the price of the seeds.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 18, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5804210

wow, things must be different in your part of the world, as far as ordering by mail goes. Any other Aussies out there who have any ammount of success? I've always heard that most are dissappointed by size, and losses are high. I admit, I do like to look at glossy catalogues.
Maybe if there was one for bromeliads, i might be tempted, as they travel well in the post and are suitable to my climate.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5804258

dahlia, I hate to make it any harder for you (chuckle), but many of those tropicals in Logee's can be grown as houseplants. I just got a nice order myself : ), including a Meyer lemon, which I have been wanting for a long time. Have it in a nice south window and it is putting on beautiful new growth in the nursery pot (shame on me for not having repotted it yet).

How could I have forgotten Logee's? High Country Gardens, Oakes Daylilies, John Scheepers. Even DH reads these. He likes the ones with the good photographs because he doesn't know the plants well. I order online from the places with the best rep that carry what I am looking for. But the hardcopies are great for ideas and for those long winter planning days. I do wish they weren't necessary because they drive up the cost and of course, the environmental issue. I recycle a bag full every week.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5804296

Oh thanks guys for reminding me about Oakes - I knew I missed someone! For daylilies they cannot be beaten. Also Schreiner's for irises,
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 18, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5804338

The hard copy catalogues are also good for making color copies of plants and cutting them out to plan a garden bed, just to get an idea what it's going to look like.
skimper
Greenwich, OH

November 18, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #5804340

I like Harris seeds.Fast shipping and great!germination.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5804482

Tomato Growers Supply, just a wonderful catalog. Can't wait to get it every year, it's my winter reading.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5804619

Ok, hands up- who has started ordering catalogs from the companies listed above!!

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5804952

O o o o (waving franticly) pick me!!! Already ordered dahlias from Abloom (small supplier so they run out fast) and seeds from Casey's (oops sorry I didn't mention Casey's Heirloom Tomatos for seeds) and Alberta Nurserys.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5805122

Pinetree Garden Seeds has so much useful information in addition to variety for someone like myself who has only one season from growing plants from seed.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5805135

As far as paper magazine-type catalogs, I find Seeds of Change to have the nicest, most interesting, best laid-out with the coolest stuff and awesome photos.
makj
Santa Ynez, CA

November 18, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5805265

well, I have to put down several, Keith Keppel's iris catalog, Superstition, Mid-america, Tempo two, Blyth's irises, woodland iris, bayview irises, Zebra iris gargens... as you can see many favorites:)
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 18, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5805401

My favorite catalog doesn't exist anymore:(
They were Logee's 'old' catalogs...the long narrow ones that had photos of nearly every plant they sold...loved them so much!!
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5805457

I haven't seen one catalogue since I moved here (4 years ago) I used to get them regularly in UK and did order from them - particularly Pollards Roses!
DMgardener
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5805846

My favorite is Pinetree Garden Seeds. They are listed as one of the top 20 on the garden watchdog. This catalog is very down-home and is NOT flashy. One of the main resons I like it is the enormous variety of products for heirloom gardening, soap-making, paper-making, tea-making and even their own 'bookshelf' ! That last one is one of my faves. Thay also have a HUGE amount of annual flower seeds and perrenial seeds.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5805982

I prefer to exchange seeds with other people. No seed catalog offers all what is offered on DG or on other seedexchanging websites.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

November 18, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5806077

What the heck?!? There was no herb category, so I had to vote flowers. Herbs are my fave! For herb catalogs, I love Horizon Herbs, Richter's, Well-Sweep Herbs, Crimson Sage, Companion Plants and Thyme Garden.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5806187

Even though I don't order from them I think Wayside Gardens has one of the best catalogs, the pics are great, organized with an index and very informative. I find something I like in their catalog and then order it from one of my favorite companies or get it locally.

I love looking thru catalogs any variety. My mail lady hates me! lol
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5806252

Twilley, Willhite, New England Seed, Johnny's.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5806491

Plant World in Devon England is by far my favorite, then has to come J L Hudson. The NARGS catalog is amazing too.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5806503

Bluestone Perennials is my fav. I really like their search feature. I can put in all the poor growing conditions that I have here on my place and the search still brings up a lot of plants and flowers that I can grow.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5806506

My top 3 are: Pinetree, John Scheepers (kitchengardenseeds), and Victory Seeds.
Catalogs are arriving! I have Pinetree and Thompson Morgan.
I have to admit I order from others and can't tell you how hard it is to keep from sending in "one more small order". LOL
I also buy from Fedco (local great coop and catalogue), Gourmet Seed( huge packets of Italian varieties), and Renee's Garden (nice color-coded mixes to try new varieties), and T & M veggies when they have their 1/2 off sale.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 18, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5806527

I'm hooked on seed sales. How can you NOT buy a bunch of seeds for 98cents. I always buy a whole bunch of seed for things I can't grow in my zone just because they're good deals ^_^
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 19, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5807494

I buy from local nurseries. However, I did buy clematis from Silver Star Vinery online and they are really great to deal with. They are no more expensive even including shipping, than our local nurseries. Plus, much more variety.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5807513

I get all kinds of catalogs but I seem to order mostly from Stokes and I usually get my flower seed from them.

I do use Territorial from here in Oregon for some of my vegetable seed.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5807669

I didn't know my sentimental fave, Pinetree, was so popular-yay! although I like getting a few of the other, very informative, catalogs like Johnny's. or beautiful like White FLower Farm.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #5807713

I like the Drs Foster and Smith catalogs online www.drsfostersmith.com . They have a lot of new garden items every time, Hummingbird feeders and etc.
leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2008
8:07 AM

Post #5807898

I find Wayside Gardens a good catalog from which to order the plants in which I'm interested. So far, I've never had any to not thrive. Lee

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5808298

Tomato Growers Supply, like araness I wait for this one each year before ordering tomato and pepper seeds. Great germination.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5808346

leeflea51, I've had just the opposite experience, nothing I've purchased from them survived. I've learned to order from companies in the same zone as I am(or lower).
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5808622

Bluestone Perennials and Heirloom Roses - great catalogue; super plants ^_^ Never been disappointed yet.
quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5809199

Another two of my favorites for vines, trees and shrubs are Whitman's. Lucile is the best. Sooners sells excellent trees and shrubs. Definitely Brushwood for roses and vines. Went to J. Carlsons in Rockford Illinosi and bought wonderful Japanese maples and a tree peony. I thought the prices were great for the size of the trees. Large selection of trees od unusual trees, contorted, weeping, etc. Locally, I like The Corn Crib, Hoerr's and Sunnyfield which has mostly perennials and roses, but a huge selection. The old timers I miss are Mellengers, Roslyn's & Collectors Nursery.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 19, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5809441

Oh. I miss Mellinger's too. I stocked my greenhouse with plants from their very last catalog. I guess Bluestone is about the next best for getting starts of plants that are not available locally.

My favorite catalog/website for bulbs is Van Engelen. Ive been exploring bulbs lately.

Tulips won't grow here (except as annuals) but there are many many others that are really spectacular. Van Engelen is the place to explore.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/44/

Yes. They are related to Scheepers, and Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5809713

I like to keep as much money as possible in the community. I am in a rural area and what few businesses are here need all of the support they can get.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5810395

Plant Delights (good stuff and a hoot of a catalog) and Tomato Grower's Supply are my top 2. Most of the others I like to browse, pick out things I like and turn down a lot of pages, and then go look for it locally.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5810417

Seed catalogs are great fo winter doldrums. I sit late at night and create huge wish lists and dream.
kudrick
Fallston, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5812064

No doubt in my mind: Plant Delights! Healthy plants, well packaged, great catalog.
lisabeth
State of..., MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5812216

I forgot about High Country, nice offerings and catalog, although I haven't ordered from them. Keith Keppel's Iris catalog, Johnny's has a great catalog with the most information for growing and they offer New England experience with growing vegetables and what works, but the catalog is mostly all business, not exciting like White Flower Farm. Vegetables are less exciting than.. let's say lilies or roses. [g] Easy to navigate their website.

The majority of what I buy is from local nurseries. I go looking for catalogs when the local nurseries don't offer what I am looking for. Obviously they can't offer the selection of seeds, that a seed company can. Bluestone Perennials offers shrubs in the small sizes and prices that nurseries don't offer. In the spring, I am always looking for a company that offers plugs at lower prices and there are no nurseries locally that do. Catalogs can't allow you to see what you are getting in person though or keep going back to see what something looks like in bloom, etc.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5813183

Seeds of Change, n I did send it to my dad, whos retired in southern Calif, because it had so much information about the plants it sold. His garden feeds him.
Motherdirt
Toms River, NJ

November 21, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5813874

I beat the "winter blues" with a nice cup of tea and I snuggle on the sofa with a great selection of seed catalogs. Some of my favorites are Select Seeds, Pinetree Garden & Park Seeds. I love the heirloom seeds in Select Seeds. Pinetree is very reasonably priced. Park Seeds is a little pricey but their seeds always produce.
I keep saying to myself , "OK, I am not going to buy anymore seeds - I'll use up the seeds I have" but once I hit the catalogs, well, you know it is an addiction!
leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5814045

I wanted to add that another of my favorite garden catalogs is Carter and Holmes. Never have I received any plant that was damaged in any way. Lee
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5815644

Another vote for Plant Delights Nursery.
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5816181

HPS
WWW.HPSSEED.COM
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5816322

I love getting all of these catalog links. I like to look at the pretty pictures in January. Keeps out the winter doldrums. I will book mark this forum.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 21, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5816581

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Cat.asp?Theme=

Even if you don't like roses, the David Austin catalog will convince you to plant some bareroot roses next year.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5818766

Have any of Yall looked at:

Zone 9 Tropicals
Florida Colors
Stokes
Top Tropicals
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

November 22, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5819242

Many of my favorites are already mentioned (PD, BB, Bluestone, etc), but I might add Chiltern's, though it lacks pics it is a great read, and has great seeds though the exchange rate isn't favorable to us Yanks. For otherwise impossible to get seeds I like Silverhill Seeds, I am not sure if they still send out the paper version but the website is easy to use and they have thousands of South African plants to try. Seneca Hill Perennials used to have a nice printed catalogue, now they just have a good online site, but they have a very nice selection of perennials, including cold hardy South African plants and bulbs. No printed catalogue, but Arid Lands in AZ is tops for reasonably priced succulents, and their selection grows larger each week it seems, and the site is easy to use with pics. Like one of the posters above, I miss the old Logee's catalogue--and prices as well. Used to drive up there with friends and load up on plants, not worth the trip now that they are so much pricier than before. I find myself doing mostly mailorder, what the local box stores and nurseries here have is mostly not worth bothering with or is on its last legs and/or overpriced. I'll make an exception for Oliver's Nurseries across the CT border, not cheap but good stuff and worth visiting when they have their spring sale.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5819286

Just came across two that I saved from last year.
Johnny's and Territorial. Both are big with lots of pictures, but best of all lots of growing information and plants identified by Latin name.
johnnyseeds.com
territorialseed.com
(not linked)
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5819698

My favorite is WFF. I can look at all the pics of the hard to find plants and then have fun finding them cheaper elsewhere! ☺

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 1:18 PM
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5819755

I agree on creating a list and then go find them cheaper elsewhere.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5820600

ok...now you've done it!!!

it's going to take me forever to add my name to all these mailing lists ! =)

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5822440

I guess out of all the "little bit of everything" catalogs I receive, I will have to say Territorial //www.territorialseed.com/stores/1/index.cfm. I've been buying from them since it was a little upstart seed company and now its really big. Nichols is the second tried and true and I also love Pine Tree. I find I don't order as much now that postage is so high. Seed trading and seed saving also come into play. But, Territorial gives you so much information and I love to browse through it, so it gets my #1 vote. Sure seems as though I've been voting a lot on DG lately.
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5822753

Hands down, my favorite catalog is Klehm's Song Sparrow. The plants are just as exquisite when they arrive and are immaculately packed. Everything I ordered this year from them (two dwarf conifers, a dwarf magnolia, something else I can't remember) is thriving. The catalog has thick, glossy, full color pages and is arranged beautifully.
outgardening
Quincy, MI

November 24, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5824013

My favorite catalog is Spring Hill Nurseries in Tipp City, Ohio. They are the closest to my climate and have a lifetime guarantee. Everything I have ever purchased from them (that's quite a bit) have lived and been in great condition when they arrive. Their website is www.springhillnursery.com.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 24, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5824103

Just a thought. Does anyone else think this is an 'Enabling 101' poll? I'm wondering if there will be an 'Intervention 101' poll in the future. Just wondrin cuz I just added bigtime to my saved supplier links. Helllllooooooooo? Anyone else not surfing/shopping these catalogues at the moment?... Note to Self: enter polls at your own risk (sigh).

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5824288

I tried not to look, really I did!!!
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5824647

Heirloom Seeds (I'm not sure whether or not they still have a printed catalog --- mostly I order online). I generally only order something if I've screwed up and not saved my seeds from the previous year. I bought my French tarragon and blueberry bushes from local nurseries as I've not had a whole lot of luck with mail-order plants.
ncdirtdigger
Waxhaw, NC

December 10, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5876076

any and all of them, I just love looking at them all
cpgmar
Heflin, AL

January 1, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #5951638

The Tasteful Garden --small company, great plants, online catalog (save a tree!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America