ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 133 - SNOW For you and Meeee!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923029/

Photo stolen from Jules...last winter...Witch Hazel Diane....I Covet this plant!!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, Toni, the day passed without me wishing you a proper Happy Birthday, glad I sneaked in under the wire, I do such good belated birthday wishes though!! Will you let us know when we can began chanting Toni has a boyfirend? Hehehe.

Sue, payback is he!!, and knowing you, you will get your revenge. Go get him girl!!

Marcy, I am typing this after I have knocked on wood, not once but several times. I USED to have RLS, remember even in high school being up at all hours of the night/morning with it, but thank heavens, I haven't had it in some time. I don't know what to credit with being the reason/cause for it disappearing, but sure don't want to bring down the wrath of the RLS Gods by typing this. It is miserable, and so hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it.

We had snow flurries seveal times today, but they were short lived and no accumulation. I went for the annual smash and squeeze and a bone density exam today, and glad that they aren't required more than once a year. I have some bruising, which I have never had, but it was a new machine, and instead of the tech adjusting the compression, it was automatically done by the machine, to maximize the photo quality, so evidently much more than in previous exams. And all I got was a stinking pink ball point pen for my visit!!

Off to read some other threads, and then to bed. DH is at the hospital, and may/may not be home tonight.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Bonnie,
I'm glad you survived all the testing! I feel sure that if the testing for testicular cancer was done in the same way as a mammogram, it would have been discontinued within 5 minutes, and a noninvasive test that could be done fully clothed would have appeared by the next day! (One of the blessings of having had breast cancer treatments that I had means never having to have a mammogram again- yee-haw).

My sis & I are slose to hand to hand combat over the fireplace finish. She has a natural slate that she likes, & I have a different slate or a limestone I'd rather use because then I could use some of those gorgeous accent tiles I keep pining for.
We'd better decide soon though, or we'll have Christmas pictures in front of a cinderblock wall--yuck. We have big sheets of unprinted newsprint with different patterns drawn on them covering it right now. Maybe we should just add a picture of a fire & then we'd be all set!

Hugs to all!
Pat

Pat, my sentiments exactly, no man would endure this indignity without many complaints and comments!!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

As a mammogram tech in the army, I once had to do mammograms on a man!
('manogram'?) They do get breast cancer, but it's very rare.

Blue skies and a bit of sun here, but only 21 degrees...
I am about to make a 2 hour round trip down to Moraine, and back up here to Urbana for a 10:30 pick up in town...:-( I have my car warming up, and it is covered in solid ice...Grrrrrr!!!

Pat.. just remember whatever you put on that fireplace will have to be cleaned, so pick what will be easiest.. LOL

Have a great day all...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good Morning...

We had a bit of snow overnight (1-2"), and are experiencing thick snow showers as I write. Sure is pretty!! The road in front of the house has some rough-looking patches, and since it's only 26, the patches could be a problem. We didn't have enough snow last year for me to learn how/when they treat the roads. I hope they clear them later because I have to drive to the next big town this afternoon to pick up my turkey at the Farmer's Market. Fortunately, it's only 4 miles and 2 bridges to the highway.

Here's a photo I snapped last weekend. MsRobin should recognize it since she drove through it a few weeks back... the shortest tunnel in the US, Backbone Rock. It's on a scenic road from VA to TN, and once was just a railroad tunnel through the rock. After the RR became defunct, they took up the rails and paved the road... enlarging the tunnel width to accommodate 2 lane traffic.

Can you believe I have to move my pantry AGAIN? The Kid needs a bedroom.

BBL

Thumbnail by darius
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

It was 24* at 7 am, blue sky and lots of sunshine!

I've been so crabby the last couple of days that I can barely stand myself! I hate the cold windy days of winter. And it's too cold in the shed for DH to escape. I wanna be outside building, digging and planting, but am stuck in house doing (gasp) housework. Should have bought land just a little farther south. LOL!

Had to make the trip to Owensboro yesterday to pay our car insurance that I forgot to pay the week before. Kicking myself for that, because I was in Owensboro one day last week. Since I was there, I went into Kroger's to pick up some special things we can't buy locally. So lost a good portion of the day.

I'm down to just organizing the kitchen and it is now so bad with stuff stacked on the counters, we ended up having chefs salads for dinner last night. Good thing DH likes me! Our kitchen is too small for everything we need/want in here, like the large toaster oven and dehydrator I just brought back in from the shed. Hopefully, I can get it cleaned up today. Part of the problem is a couple of pepper plants that were still producing that I potted up and brought in and several trays full of pots with cuttings starting to root. No place else to put them.

Marcy, I'd love to come organize your house, but guaranteed you wouldn't be able stand me or the mess by the time we got halfway through the project. Guess we'll have to do the windows ourselves while we are "spring cleaning" over the next week. The only thing that I can think of that got me started doing all this in the first place is all the talk of moving and cleaning and getting rid of excess stuff...thank you very much Sue, Dusty and Joyce! LOL!

Ouch on the mammogram...brings back painful memories!

Pat, good luck on working out the differences in tastes of tiles.

A question for the Kentucky posters....I'm trying to remember who it is that drives through Caneyville taking chickens to Bowling Green for processing. Any one know the answer? I need to find someone that I can buy some full grown laying hens from next spring. I had a great source up till 2 years ago, but he retired. I can't tell the difference in chicks and keep coming up with lots of roosters and few hens.

We have decided we are ready to tackle the job of starting a CSA providing organically grown produce and eggs next spring, and have garden art and landscaping plants available for sale. Over the last 2 years, we have planted lots of perrenial fruits, vegetabes, flowers and bushes and have really improved the garden soil. We have till early summer to line up customers and see if there is enough interest in this area.

Guess that's it for now...my BP is going up sitting amongst this kitchen mess and and I'm sure DH is getting hungry, so I better get started. Have a great day everyone!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh, Darius, yes I remember! Thank you for posting that picture. I was driving and didn't get a picture of it. I were too busy gawking at the beautiful scenery and all the deer to think to ask Sunny to snap it. Thought it would make a great addition to a future painting.

Be careful driving. Bridges are always worse than the roads. Glad you found the turkey you wanted!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all. IT'S COLD!!!!! BRRRRR!!! Only 26* here now at 10:45 AM!! BUT.........the sun is shining!! Yayyyyy! I DO like sunshine!
Darius...what a bummer....having to move the pantry AGAIN!! I feel for you!
Well...since I have a day off therapy, I think I will make a couple of pumpkin rolls and put them in the freezer for Thanksgiving. Then I need to call DIL to see what kinds of pie everyone likes. I know I will make pumpkin...but not sure on other kinds?
I took two Vicodin last night, and slept until 4 am!! Woohooo!!! Longest amount of sleep I have had at one time...in a while. Then from 4 am on...I tossed and turned...in and out of wakefulness. That wasn't good. Finally got up...and said the heck with it.
Bonnie...I think my brother told me the same thing...on the RLS going away! And he doesn't know why either? Wish mine would!!! You are right..unless you experience it...it is VERY hard to describe to someone. But my husband can certainly attest to it...lol. He gets kicked a LOT!!!
Robin...ok...on the organizing. Guess I might have to get busy on mine after Christmas. Heaven knows it needs it!
Well...don't know much else. Have to look up some things on here...so better get to it. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Ohhh...and Darius....what a beautiful picture of that tunnel!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Darius, how about an air mattress on the pantry floor? Wouldn't that suffice? ;) Sorry you've got to move your store yet again. You should by now preface everything in there with nomadic...Would you like some nomadic stewed tomatoes? How about some nomadic crab apple jelly?

Dusty, I hear ya. We didn't get ice that I know of, but we did get an inch of snow that stuck. It's cold enough, thankyouverymuch. I don't envy your ultimate destination of Michigan! I don't think I could take it. LOL

Marcy, great to hear you slept well! I have intermittent bouts with RLS, but nothing constant. With me, it feels like I need to stretch my legs so badly, but it's never enough to quell the sensation that I need to stretch them.

Sue, how you doing? Do things look any brighter for you?

Robin, we have a tiny kitchen, too. I can relate! When we remodeled the basement into an apartment for my MIL, we lost all but a little corner for storage. And when we remodeled the kitchen, the dishwasher and stove knocked out two banks of nice, wide, deep drawers from the original metal cabinets. Our kitchen looks so pretty, but it has little storage. One thing we did was purge all the "unitaskers", as Alton Brown calls them. If a tool doesn't serve more than one purpose, it isn't worth taking up space. Since 2004, a few of those things have sneaked their way into the kitchen, but we've been purging again. LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

GW, glad to hear I have company! LOL! I did do a couple of creative space saving/storage ideas, ie: used a wire closet shelf hung in front of the window over the sink between the 2 upper cabinets for a dish drainer (no dishwasher here) and a long shelf over the bay window for appliances and other things we use several times a month.

So, Darius, DN will have plenty of storage and display place with those wonderful shelves you built, but where are you going to move all the food to? Since you never know how long she is going to be there, have you considered maybe just buying some flat sheets and gathering them on curtain rods across the front of the shelf units and leaving the food in place?

It's warmed up to 38* with only a light breeze, so doesn't feel quite so cold today. Was thinking I could spend a little time outside this afternoon, but since DH started cleaning too, guess I better stick to inside work. Bummer!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Put on some tunes and sing along. That makes it go better for me when I clean, anyway. LOL

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

GW, love your sense of humor!

Robin, I sleep in my library room in winter so I can feed the fire in the middle of the night. If I sleep there year 'round, I can get rid of my large bed and convert my bedroom to pantry. I may even put up a door in the hallway to my section of the house, giving me some privacy. I'll still share the kitchen and laundry room.

I'll move ALL the shelving out of the existing pantry... most of it will fit 2 walls in my BR, and the rest out in the barn room. That way I won't have to worry about moving it again whether the kid stays or goes, over and over. So, my BR will become storage... canned food, AND clothing/linens in the closets and dresser. The only thing I will really miss is wall space for my art collection... but half of it is already stored in my closets since there's little wall space in the library and BR. I'd sell some of it but not during an economic downturn...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

If you have your pantry in your bedroom, be sure to keep a can opener and spoon in your nightstand. That way, should you have a lazy day (that's a laugh), you can just reach over and grab your meals. ;)

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Girls and Guys...

Thanks so much for all the Belateds! You all are so special!

Nope Toni doesn't have a boyfriend...yet....LOL Oprah hasn't stopped trying to eat him when he comes over so its not official :)

Pat I think all men should have at least 1 mammogram, wear pantyhose for at least a week, have one full week of menstrual cramps and have to do 12 hours of labor. They also should spend the entire month of February with the hormone surges that cause hot flashes (with no chocolate within a 50 mile radius). I bet that would bring chivalry back to life with a quickness :)

Today was pretty uneventful which is always good. Ran errands. Straightened up around here. Watched the snow fall.

Will hollar back later. My company is here.

GTG

T/O

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

AND they should have to wear stiletto heels with pointy toes.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Who says we have not??? LOL

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

yeah doing ok GW. Thanks for asking :)
still kinda blue . No weight loss and i have been working hard at it and it just getting on my nerves no weight loss in 3 weeks. Grrrr
maybe that is what is making me grumpy and depressed ?
well my freind just called and she got knocked down by her horse. her Dh got bucked off several weeks ago and put him in the hospital with a fractured hip and broken arm by the same horse ? ok they are novice horse experience people and never grew up with around horses. So i really don't have much sympathy. Duh why she got on a horse she can't physically handle and is a problem horse !!! is beyond me ? !!! duh. ? :P. Am i wrong here folks ? I just can't tolerate stupid even if she is my best friend .
msrobin sorry you are getting cabin fever it sounds like. I don't like being inside much either. Big ((()))) for you. :)
Bonnie good for you going for your mamogram. I m a whimp. I will admit. I just can't bring myself to go get one. Ugh i just can't stand the thought of it , gives me hives and then i pass out at the dr's office and i never went back :( .
If it makes you feel better ladies , men do have to get a colon check up ? ! can you say proctologist . Not a fun exam . There is your pay back Toni LOLLLL and they get kidney stones ! . You know how they have to pass them thangs don't you ?
ok got to go
big ~~~~ to everyone
good night
sue

LOL Geo
giggle

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Sue
You probably lost INCHES instead of pounds!!!

Pauletta

ROFL Sue's kidney stones. Cheer up Girl! Nobody wants a bone but a dog!

(((((((((George...))))))))) Hey Sweetie! Missed you! Can I borrow a few of your size 8's?

Evening you all crack me up, with the bantering and teasing, love it.

I spent most of the day sorting through paperwork, paying bills, and balancing checkbooks, where does all this crap come from? Well, anyway it is done till the next time, usually spend at least one day a week doing this.

Sue yep, people with no experience with or on horses have no business buying an animal they know nothing about. 98% of them are good animals with good dispositions, but you get a cantankerous one, and he can really put you in a world of hurt. We have a Registered Tennessee Walking horse,a mare, and just to look at her, and pet her, you think she is the most docile creature, but she likes to try you out when you sit in the saddle, she has several tricks that she likes to pull, then when you have stayed on through all of them, she settles down and it is like she's saying, okay,you know what you are doing so here we go.

Well, since my life is so boring that I can't even write a paragraph about what I did today, it is time for me to go somewhere else.

Sue I know what will cheer you up....Aretha Franklin is on Dancing with the Stars tonight. Hope you caught it! She sang the first word of "Respect" and everybody stood up and have not sat for the whole song. Somebody had GOT to get me her Christmas CD. I heard that it is almost impossible to listen to her sing Ave' Maria and not cry.

((((( Pauletta ))))) is right too. Bet you are losing inches. You may not be able to see it in the obvious places but remember you can lose them in your feet, around your ankles, on your wrists, and in your neck especially. I always lose in my feet first for some reason.

(((((((((((Bonnie))))))))))))))) is right too while we are at it. I have junk mail dwarves and nobody sent the memo to animals that they just HAVE to like you because you bought them. LOL! Me and Oprah had a love/hate relationship for a month before she noticed I was the keeper of the doggie kibble. Now she is my BFF (as long as I keep buying the dog biscuits).

Gonna go hit the sack.

Hey anybody have a good chicken noodle soup recipe? This is that kinda weather and I have those dreaded last 3 chicken breasts in the 10 lb bag that I need to do something with. I also have no carrots but I do have peas and cream of mushroom soup. If anyone has any ideas of what I can make out of this let me know k?

Nite (((((((((((((Everybody)))))))))))))))

Not what Geo??? In YOUR case the panty hose and stillettos are a given.... ROFLLLLLLLLLLL ....Love you !!!

Home at 8:15...Got the electric fixed with 2 more new fuses in the last Main box...Stove and dryer are back working...One of the long Buss fuses was nearly disintegrated...Now all 3 boxes have 2 new fuses in each...House is finally warming back up...Good thing, as it is 20* here now, and supposed to go down into the teens tonight...
I am off tomorrow since I worked Monday...so I know what I will be doing...Packing up my kitchen down to the bare bones, and hauling it south...The cabinets are empty, so I can put it all away...Orchids will go tomorrow too...They need to be watered, and I don't want to do it before I move them...

Leftover Chicken Noodle soup, and grilled cheeses for supper tonight... Too late to cook anything else...and too tired...LOL
No bites on my dining room set yet, so I guess it will be going with us... Unless I get a last minute miracle...I am trying to sell my fridge too...If not I will put it on Freecycle...I paid $75 for it 3 yrs ago, and it has served it's purpose and then some...It's a darn good fridge and works perfectly, but the less I have to move, the better...I am thinking on the washer and dryer too...I really want a front loader set...Much cheaper to operate...I may work on that...Since I can't retire LOL...I got these from Freecycle when we got here from FL and they work perfectly and look good too...
Not much time left, so I need to get busy...

I am off to my bed...Tired tonight...

((((((((Toni)))))))) Dice the breasts into small bite sized chunks, add water and onions and diced celery if you have it...Put that on to boil and add salt and pepper and garlic or whatever you like...Add your mushroom soup when the chicken is done, then add noodles (I use Fettuccine) and peas...I add chicken soup base to mine, but I have buckets of that stuff... LOL
Love ya girl!!

Sleep well all...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, Geo, present company excluded when it comes to the shoes. Uh, 'cept Ric. He should have to wear some for a while if he hasn't. ;)

That leftover chicken dish sounds good, Dusty. I made oven roasted bone-in chicken breasts today, marinating them in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing with some minced garlic, olive oil and Italian seasonings mixed in. I used the metal broiling pan with some water in the bottom pan, and boy did those chicken breasts turn out juicy. We had roasted baby carrots and onions, too, atop a brown and wild rice with wheat and rye berries mix. Oh, it was a tasty dinner!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Yummy, y'all are making me hungry! George, ya better watch out, Neal may get revenge on you for that magazine cover...I can see it now, you in pantyhose, stillettos and ...a chainsaw! LOL

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

What's scary is there is a pic very much like that out there somewhere and neal may have it!! YIKES!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It's Payback time George!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

GW rubs hands together gleefully...

Thanks for the weight loss cheers. :)
i wish it was inches. lolllll
not much here.
Geo you are sooo in for it. LOLLLLL
we all have them pics don't wee. Mine is on the river rafting in AZ and well..... amazing what you can do in a bikini ,on a tube floating down on the river. Nuff said on that . :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL!!! Oh the minds pictures...... too funny!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We just got in from the preschool Thanksgiving dinner at church. I skipped the turkey and had a ham sandwich. :) I ended with a big piece of chocolate cake that makes me want to go back to bed. LOL It was good! All the ladies were ribbing me about being pregnant and having a boy.

I get to brag. Jazzi's team made the newspaper again. This is the FIRST time a Lynchburg team has won the state tournament! http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=159073&TM=49351.27 If it does not go directly to the article, you can scroll down to "Luna Chicks win state championship". I'm most proud to say our team played fair, didn't purposely shove, slide tackle or use any other nasty tactics and they were plentiful amongst the other teams.

I guess I am going to change clothes, throw on some laundry, then either start dinner or nap. I'm pooped!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

A big congrats, Chele! They should win an extra trophy for good sportsmanship--that would say something to the other coaches.

I agree Renee`...Maybe they should consider offering a trophy for Best Sportsmanship next year...It might cause them to think about playing without the abuse...Luna Chicks Coach is to be commended for winning without advocating it...

Hey everybody,

Had to make a run earlier today and am just getting in. LOL at the previous posts, I won't comment much. Just SMH @ Geo LOL

Great news about Jazzi's team Chele. I agree with Renee and Dusty, they need to bring alot of the old values back to schools IMO. I am glad I don't have a school aged kid now. Especially in the inner city; but I digress.

Dusty I am making your recipe right now as I type. I did stop and get some baby carrots though and am using egg noodles. I may just put it in the freezer and run out to Newark and get some of Lana's leftovers. That sounded real good.

Gonna go dunk the noodles and make some cornbread.

BBL

Toni

I want to eat at your house Toni . :)
ok DD is sick . Barfing alot. Went to dr and gave us meds for barfing. Use in emergency only , so far so good she seems to have stopped for the time. HOpe her toast holds down.
went to dr today myself , got a script and he finaly gave me a refill duh . I think he finaly got the message i know my body pretty darn good. I have dealing iwht this for yrs !
so nothing to exciting. :)
Yeah for the Luna chicks and winning the Old School way !!!!! great job .
Chocolate cake sounds wonderful ! oh man it sounds sooooo gooood. Ham too. Love ham .
well got to get in the warm rooms. I m freezing out her in the living room.
good night
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well one more day of work and I go into Thanksgiving mode.
Off Friday on a vacation day so a 3 day weekend then a 3 day work week then a 4 day weekend.

Robyn is well into the Holiday light set up.
I have to do the eave lights this weekend but she does all the rest.
We've switched to about 80-90% LED so we'll see how it comes out.
I do know that each strand of 'Icicle' LED's are about 50% brighter than the old mini lights.
So you'll probably be able to see our street from Cookies! LOL!

Ric

Ric, if I look in the right direction, I may be able to see them too. I stopped putting up lights several years ago, I would catch some sunny warm days to get them up, then it was always freezing when it was time to take them down. I know some people leave them till spring, but around here those people are not called nice names!! Sort of like "Red Necked woman", country song,

Chele, I read earlier where you were going to put ON some laundry, do you do that often? Hehe. I know you meant to say put IN some laundry, but just had to giggle at that one. Congrats to Jazzi's team, what a thing she will have to remember. I think it is great that they have a coach that insists on fair play. Gets my goat that some schools in the lower grades at least declare everybody a winner. Ha, not gonna happen in real life, and I think we have told them enough fairy tales.

Sue sorry about the DD being sick, hope it is just a virus and is a short lived one. Didn't know you were ailing, so sending t & p's to you both.

~~~ to everybody I didn't mention by name. Will be MIA again tomorrow, as I am going to DTS's tomorrow for some private lessons in some aspects of stained glass. She has been doing this about 2 years, so in addition to the classes I have taken, getting a little one on one from somebody who can help me a wee bit.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Eh, to heck with the folks who turn up their noses at lights left until the weather breaks. I say, as long as they're not lit, who cares. Anyway, we usually get a January thaw sometime. LOL

Bonnie, you need to post some pictures of your stained glass! That's something I'd like to learn, but I don't keep up with my hobbies as it is.

Chele, tell Jazzi that Howie and I are really proud of them, not just for the win, but for the way they've conducted themselves. That's terrific. I thought of your volleyball girls when I was at Goodwill today. They had a wall clock with little volleyballs all around its perimeter. Think any of them would like that? I should have taken a picture.

I found a heavy, long wool coat there, too, for only $7.99. It's not exactly tweed, sort of nubby. It's hard to explain. It seems fairly stylish still, but I'm not a good judge of that. It's in grays, so I can put anything with it. It has a belt that ties, too. At any rate, it's warm. I also found an old wooden car creeper with metal wheels. The wood has such a pretty patina on it. What on earth will I do with it? I hope to sell it, actually. The front has the word GOLDBAR spelled out in an arch in red. The headrest is red vinyl/Naugahyde.

I couldn't think of what the things were called - My grandfather had a couple of them, so I know what they are. I just kept thinking mechanic's dolly or something like that. I was looking online on my phone, trying to figure it out. Hah! Finally, I asked another customer. He said, "Lady, you asked the right person. I've been a mechanic for 40 years! That's a creeper!" He went on to tell me he can roll around on his back on one of those things faster than I can walk. He was quite enthused. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.