Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 133 - SNOW For you and Meeee!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 135, Views: 1,060
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5803511

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923029/

Photo stolen from Jules...last winter...Witch Hazel Diane...I Covet this plant!!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #5803620

Well, Toni, the day passed without me wishing you a proper Happy Birthday, glad I sneaked in under the wire, I do such good belated birthday wishes though!! Will you let us know when we can began chanting Toni has a boyfirend? Hehehe.

Sue, payback is he!!, and knowing you, you will get your revenge. Go get him girl!!

Marcy, I am typing this after I have knocked on wood, not once but several times. I USED to have RLS, remember even in high school being up at all hours of the night/morning with it, but thank heavens, I haven't had it in some time. I don't know what to credit with being the reason/cause for it disappearing, but sure don't want to bring down the wrath of the RLS Gods by typing this. It is miserable, and so hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it.

We had snow flurries seveal times today, but they were short lived and no accumulation. I went for the annual smash and squeeze and a bone density exam today, and glad that they aren't required more than once a year. I have some bruising, which I have never had, but it was a new machine, and instead of the tech adjusting the compression, it was automatically done by the machine, to maximize the photo quality, so evidently much more than in previous exams. And all I got was a stinking pink ball point pen for my visit!!

Off to read some other threads, and then to bed. DH is at the hospital, and may/may not be home tonight.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5803747

Dear Bonnie,
I'm glad you survived all the testing! I feel sure that if the testing for testicular cancer was done in the same way as a mammogram, it would have been discontinued within 5 minutes, and a noninvasive test that could be done fully clothed would have appeared by the next day! (One of the blessings of having had breast cancer treatments that I had means never having to have a mammogram again- yee-haw).

My sis & I are slose to hand to hand combat over the fireplace finish. She has a natural slate that she likes, & I have a different slate or a limestone I'd rather use because then I could use some of those gorgeous accent tiles I keep pining for.
We'd better decide soon though, or we'll have Christmas pictures in front of a cinderblock wall--yuck. We have big sheets of unprinted newsprint with different patterns drawn on them covering it right now. Maybe we should just add a picture of a fire & then we'd be all set!

Hugs to all!
Pat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5803764

Pat, my sentiments exactly, no man would endure this indignity without many complaints and comments!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5803784

As a mammogram tech in the army, I once had to do mammograms on a man!
('manogram'?) They do get breast cancer, but it's very rare.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5804486

Blue skies and a bit of sun here, but only 21 degrees...
I am about to make a 2 hour round trip down to Moraine, and back up here to Urbana for a 10:30 pick up in town...:-( I have my car warming up, and it is covered in solid ice...Grrrrrr!!!

Pat.. just remember whatever you put on that fireplace will have to be cleaned, so pick what will be easiest.. LOL

Have a great day all...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5804624

Good Morning...

We had a bit of snow overnight (1-2"), and are experiencing thick snow showers as I write. Sure is pretty!! The road in front of the house has some rough-looking patches, and since it's only 26, the patches could be a problem. We didn't have enough snow last year for me to learn how/when they treat the roads. I hope they clear them later because I have to drive to the next big town this afternoon to pick up my turkey at the Farmer's Market. Fortunately, it's only 4 miles and 2 bridges to the highway.

Here's a photo I snapped last weekend. MsRobin should recognize it since she drove through it a few weeks back... the shortest tunnel in the US, Backbone Rock. It's on a scenic road from VA to TN, and once was just a railroad tunnel through the rock. After the RR became defunct, they took up the rails and paved the road... enlarging the tunnel width to accommodate 2 lane traffic.

Can you believe I have to move my pantry AGAIN? The Kid needs a bedroom.

BBL

Thumbnail by darius

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5804765

It was 24* at 7 am, blue sky and lots of sunshine!

I've been so crabby the last couple of days that I can barely stand myself! I hate the cold windy days of winter. And it's too cold in the shed for DH to escape. I wanna be outside building, digging and planting, but am stuck in house doing (gasp) housework. Should have bought land just a little farther south. LOL!

Had to make the trip to Owensboro yesterday to pay our car insurance that I forgot to pay the week before. Kicking myself for that, because I was in Owensboro one day last week. Since I was there, I went into Kroger's to pick up some special things we can't buy locally. So lost a good portion of the day.

I'm down to just organizing the kitchen and it is now so bad with stuff stacked on the counters, we ended up having chefs salads for dinner last night. Good thing DH likes me! Our kitchen is too small for everything we need/want in here, like the large toaster oven and dehydrator I just brought back in from the shed. Hopefully, I can get it cleaned up today. Part of the problem is a couple of pepper plants that were still producing that I potted up and brought in and several trays full of pots with cuttings starting to root. No place else to put them.

Marcy, I'd love to come organize your house, but guaranteed you wouldn't be able stand me or the mess by the time we got halfway through the project. Guess we'll have to do the windows ourselves while we are "spring cleaning" over the next week. The only thing that I can think of that got me started doing all this in the first place is all the talk of moving and cleaning and getting rid of excess stuff...thank you very much Sue, Dusty and Joyce! LOL!

Ouch on the mammogram...brings back painful memories!

Pat, good luck on working out the differences in tastes of tiles.

A question for the Kentucky posters...I'm trying to remember who it is that drives through Caneyville taking chickens to Bowling Green for processing. Any one know the answer? I need to find someone that I can buy some full grown laying hens from next spring. I had a great source up till 2 years ago, but he retired. I can't tell the difference in chicks and keep coming up with lots of roosters and few hens.

We have decided we are ready to tackle the job of starting a CSA providing organically grown produce and eggs next spring, and have garden art and landscaping plants available for sale. Over the last 2 years, we have planted lots of perrenial fruits, vegetabes, flowers and bushes and have really improved the garden soil. We have till early summer to line up customers and see if there is enough interest in this area.

Guess that's it for now...my BP is going up sitting amongst this kitchen mess and and I'm sure DH is getting hungry, so I better get started. Have a great day everyone!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5804785

Oh, Darius, yes I remember! Thank you for posting that picture. I was driving and didn't get a picture of it. I were too busy gawking at the beautiful scenery and all the deer to think to ask Sunny to snap it. Thought it would make a great addition to a future painting.

Be careful driving. Bridges are always worse than the roads. Glad you found the turkey you wanted!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5804982

Good morning all. IT'S COLD!!!!! BRRRRR!!! Only 26* here now at 10:45 AM!! BUT...the sun is shining!! Yayyyyy! I DO like sunshine!
Darius...what a bummer...having to move the pantry AGAIN!! I feel for you!
Well...since I have a day off therapy, I think I will make a couple of pumpkin rolls and put them in the freezer for Thanksgiving. Then I need to call DIL to see what kinds of pie everyone likes. I know I will make pumpkin...but not sure on other kinds?
I took two Vicodin last night, and slept until 4 am!! Woohooo!!! Longest amount of sleep I have had at one time...in a while. Then from 4 am on...I tossed and turned...in and out of wakefulness. That wasn't good. Finally got up...and said the heck with it.
Bonnie...I think my brother told me the same thing...on the RLS going away! And he doesn't know why either? Wish mine would!!! You are right..unless you experience it...it is VERY hard to describe to someone. But my husband can certainly attest to it...lol. He gets kicked a LOT!!!
Robin...ok...on the organizing. Guess I might have to get busy on mine after Christmas. Heaven knows it needs it!
Well...don't know much else. Have to look up some things on here...so better get to it. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
Ohhh...and Darius...what a beautiful picture of that tunnel!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5805285

Darius, how about an air mattress on the pantry floor? Wouldn't that suffice? ;) Sorry you've got to move your store yet again. You should by now preface everything in there with nomadic...Would you like some nomadic stewed tomatoes? How about some nomadic crab apple jelly?

Dusty, I hear ya. We didn't get ice that I know of, but we did get an inch of snow that stuck. It's cold enough, thankyouverymuch. I don't envy your ultimate destination of Michigan! I don't think I could take it. LOL

Marcy, great to hear you slept well! I have intermittent bouts with RLS, but nothing constant. With me, it feels like I need to stretch my legs so badly, but it's never enough to quell the sensation that I need to stretch them.

Sue, how you doing? Do things look any brighter for you?

Robin, we have a tiny kitchen, too. I can relate! When we remodeled the basement into an apartment for my MIL, we lost all but a little corner for storage. And when we remodeled the kitchen, the dishwasher and stove knocked out two banks of nice, wide, deep drawers from the original metal cabinets. Our kitchen looks so pretty, but it has little storage. One thing we did was purge all the "unitaskers", as Alton Brown calls them. If a tool doesn't serve more than one purpose, it isn't worth taking up space. Since 2004, a few of those things have sneaked their way into the kitchen, but we've been purging again. LOL

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5805380

GW, glad to hear I have company! LOL! I did do a couple of creative space saving/storage ideas, ie: used a wire closet shelf hung in front of the window over the sink between the 2 upper cabinets for a dish drainer (no dishwasher here) and a long shelf over the bay window for appliances and other things we use several times a month.

So, Darius, DN will have plenty of storage and display place with those wonderful shelves you built, but where are you going to move all the food to? Since you never know how long she is going to be there, have you considered maybe just buying some flat sheets and gathering them on curtain rods across the front of the shelf units and leaving the food in place?

It's warmed up to 38* with only a light breeze, so doesn't feel quite so cold today. Was thinking I could spend a little time outside this afternoon, but since DH started cleaning too, guess I better stick to inside work. Bummer!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5805389

Put on some tunes and sing along. That makes it go better for me when I clean, anyway. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5805529

GW, love your sense of humor!

Robin, I sleep in my library room in winter so I can feed the fire in the middle of the night. If I sleep there year 'round, I can get rid of my large bed and convert my bedroom to pantry. I may even put up a door in the hallway to my section of the house, giving me some privacy. I'll still share the kitchen and laundry room.

I'll move ALL the shelving out of the existing pantry... most of it will fit 2 walls in my BR, and the rest out in the barn room. That way I won't have to worry about moving it again whether the kid stays or goes, over and over. So, my BR will become storage... canned food, AND clothing/linens in the closets and dresser. The only thing I will really miss is wall space for my art collection... but half of it is already stored in my closets since there's little wall space in the library and BR. I'd sell some of it but not during an economic downturn...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5805952

If you have your pantry in your bedroom, be sure to keep a can opener and spoon in your nightstand. That way, should you have a lazy day (that's a laugh), you can just reach over and grab your meals. ;)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5806433

Hey Girls and Guys...

Thanks so much for all the Belateds! You all are so special!

Nope Toni doesn't have a boyfriend...yet...LOL Oprah hasn't stopped trying to eat him when he comes over so its not official :)

Pat I think all men should have at least 1 mammogram, wear pantyhose for at least a week, have one full week of menstrual cramps and have to do 12 hours of labor. They also should spend the entire month of February with the hormone surges that cause hot flashes (with no chocolate within a 50 mile radius). I bet that would bring chivalry back to life with a quickness :)

Today was pretty uneventful which is always good. Ran errands. Straightened up around here. Watched the snow fall.

Will hollar back later. My company is here.

GTG

T/O
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5806441

AND they should have to wear stiletto heels with pointy toes.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5807026

Who says we have not??? LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5807054

yeah doing ok GW. Thanks for asking :)
still kinda blue . No weight loss and i have been working hard at it and it just getting on my nerves no weight loss in 3 weeks. Grrrr
maybe that is what is making me grumpy and depressed ?
well my freind just called and she got knocked down by her horse. her Dh got bucked off several weeks ago and put him in the hospital with a fractured hip and broken arm by the same horse ? ok they are novice horse experience people and never grew up with around horses. So i really don't have much sympathy. Duh why she got on a horse she can't physically handle and is a problem horse !!! is beyond me ? !!! duh. ? :P. Am i wrong here folks ? I just can't tolerate stupid even if she is my best friend .
msrobin sorry you are getting cabin fever it sounds like. I don't like being inside much either. Big ((()))) for you. :)
Bonnie good for you going for your mamogram. I m a whimp. I will admit. I just can't bring myself to go get one. Ugh i just can't stand the thought of it , gives me hives and then i pass out at the dr's office and i never went back :( .
If it makes you feel better ladies , men do have to get a colon check up ? ! can you say proctologist . Not a fun exam . There is your pay back Toni LOLLLL and they get kidney stones ! . You know how they have to pass them thangs don't you ?
ok got to go
big ~~~~ to everyone
good night
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5807060

LOL Geo
giggle
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5807211

Hey Sue
You probably lost INCHES instead of pounds!!!

Pauletta
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5807215

ROFL Sue's kidney stones. Cheer up Girl! Nobody wants a bone but a dog!

(((((((((George...))))))))) Hey Sweetie! Missed you! Can I borrow a few of your size 8's?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5807239

Evening you all crack me up, with the bantering and teasing, love it.

I spent most of the day sorting through paperwork, paying bills, and balancing checkbooks, where does all this crap come from? Well, anyway it is done till the next time, usually spend at least one day a week doing this.

Sue yep, people with no experience with or on horses have no business buying an animal they know nothing about. 98% of them are good animals with good dispositions, but you get a cantankerous one, and he can really put you in a world of hurt. We have a Registered Tennessee Walking horse,a mare, and just to look at her, and pet her, you think she is the most docile creature, but she likes to try you out when you sit in the saddle, she has several tricks that she likes to pull, then when you have stayed on through all of them, she settles down and it is like she's saying, okay,you know what you are doing so here we go.

Well, since my life is so boring that I can't even write a paragraph about what I did today, it is time for me to go somewhere else.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #5807343

Sue I know what will cheer you up...Aretha Franklin is on Dancing with the Stars tonight. Hope you caught it! She sang the first word of "Respect" and everybody stood up and have not sat for the whole song. Somebody had GOT to get me her Christmas CD. I heard that it is almost impossible to listen to her sing Ave' Maria and not cry.

((((( Pauletta ))))) is right too. Bet you are losing inches. You may not be able to see it in the obvious places but remember you can lose them in your feet, around your ankles, on your wrists, and in your neck especially. I always lose in my feet first for some reason.

(((((((((((Bonnie))))))))))))))) is right too while we are at it. I have junk mail dwarves and nobody sent the memo to animals that they just HAVE to like you because you bought them. LOL! Me and Oprah had a love/hate relationship for a month before she noticed I was the keeper of the doggie kibble. Now she is my BFF (as long as I keep buying the dog biscuits).

Gonna go hit the sack.

Hey anybody have a good chicken noodle soup recipe? This is that kinda weather and I have those dreaded last 3 chicken breasts in the 10 lb bag that I need to do something with. I also have no carrots but I do have peas and cream of mushroom soup. If anyone has any ideas of what I can make out of this let me know k?

Nite (((((((((((((Everybody)))))))))))))))

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5807431

Not what Geo??? In YOUR case the panty hose and stillettos are a given... ROFLLLLLLLLLLL ...Love you !!!

Home at 8:15...Got the electric fixed with 2 more new fuses in the last Main box...Stove and dryer are back working...One of the long Buss fuses was nearly disintegrated...Now all 3 boxes have 2 new fuses in each...House is finally warming back up...Good thing, as it is 20* here now, and supposed to go down into the teens tonight...
I am off tomorrow since I worked Monday...so I know what I will be doing...Packing up my kitchen down to the bare bones, and hauling it south...The cabinets are empty, so I can put it all away...Orchids will go tomorrow too...They need to be watered, and I don't want to do it before I move them...

Leftover Chicken Noodle soup, and grilled cheeses for supper tonight... Too late to cook anything else...and too tired...LOL
No bites on my dining room set yet, so I guess it will be going with us... Unless I get a last minute miracle...I am trying to sell my fridge too...If not I will put it on Freecycle...I paid $75 for it 3 yrs ago, and it has served it's purpose and then some...It's a darn good fridge and works perfectly, but the less I have to move, the better...I am thinking on the washer and dryer too...I really want a front loader set...Much cheaper to operate...I may work on that...Since I can't retire LOL...I got these from Freecycle when we got here from FL and they work perfectly and look good too...
Not much time left, so I need to get busy...

I am off to my bed...Tired tonight...

((((((((Toni)))))))) Dice the breasts into small bite sized chunks, add water and onions and diced celery if you have it...Put that on to boil and add salt and pepper and garlic or whatever you like...Add your mushroom soup when the chicken is done, then add noodles (I use Fettuccine) and peas...I add chicken soup base to mine, but I have buckets of that stuff... LOL
Love ya girl!!

Sleep well all...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #5807613

Okay, Geo, present company excluded when it comes to the shoes. Uh, 'cept Ric. He should have to wear some for a while if he hasn't. ;)

That leftover chicken dish sounds good, Dusty. I made oven roasted bone-in chicken breasts today, marinating them in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing with some minced garlic, olive oil and Italian seasonings mixed in. I used the metal broiling pan with some water in the bottom pan, and boy did those chicken breasts turn out juicy. We had roasted baby carrots and onions, too, atop a brown and wild rice with wheat and rye berries mix. Oh, it was a tasty dinner!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #5807742

Yummy, y'all are making me hungry! George, ya better watch out, Neal may get revenge on you for that magazine cover...I can see it now, you in pantyhose, stillettos and ...a chainsaw! LOL
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
5:53 AM

Post #5807801

What's scary is there is a pic very much like that out there somewhere and neal may have it!! YIKES!!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #5807862

It's Payback time George!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #5807864

GW rubs hands together gleefully...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5808448

Thanks for the weight loss cheers. :)
i wish it was inches. lolllll
not much here.
Geo you are sooo in for it. LOLLLLL
we all have them pics don't wee. Mine is on the river rafting in AZ and well... amazing what you can do in a bikini ,on a tube floating down on the river. Nuff said on that . :)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5808746

LOL!!! Oh the minds pictures... too funny!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #5809378

We just got in from the preschool Thanksgiving dinner at church. I skipped the turkey and had a ham sandwich. :) I ended with a big piece of chocolate cake that makes me want to go back to bed. LOL It was good! All the ladies were ribbing me about being pregnant and having a boy.

I get to brag. Jazzi's team made the newspaper again. This is the FIRST time a Lynchburg team has won the state tournament! http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=159073&TM=49351.27 If it does not go directly to the article, you can scroll down to "Luna Chicks win state championship". I'm most proud to say our team played fair, didn't purposely shove, slide tackle or use any other nasty tactics and they were plentiful amongst the other teams.

I guess I am going to change clothes, throw on some laundry, then either start dinner or nap. I'm pooped!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5809673

A big congrats, Chele! They should win an extra trophy for good sportsmanship--that would say something to the other coaches.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5809706

I agree Renee`...Maybe they should consider offering a trophy for Best Sportsmanship next year...It might cause them to think about playing without the abuse...Luna Chicks Coach is to be commended for winning without advocating it...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5810298

Hey everybody,

Had to make a run earlier today and am just getting in. LOL at the previous posts, I won't comment much. Just SMH @ Geo LOL

Great news about Jazzi's team Chele. I agree with Renee and Dusty, they need to bring alot of the old values back to schools IMO. I am glad I don't have a school aged kid now. Especially in the inner city; but I digress.

Dusty I am making your recipe right now as I type. I did stop and get some baby carrots though and am using egg noodles. I may just put it in the freezer and run out to Newark and get some of Lana's leftovers. That sounded real good.

Gonna go dunk the noodles and make some cornbread.

BBL

Toni

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5810470

I want to eat at your house Toni . :)
ok DD is sick . Barfing alot. Went to dr and gave us meds for barfing. Use in emergency only , so far so good she seems to have stopped for the time. HOpe her toast holds down.
went to dr today myself , got a script and he finaly gave me a refill duh . I think he finaly got the message i know my body pretty darn good. I have dealing iwht this for yrs !
so nothing to exciting. :)
Yeah for the Luna chicks and winning the Old School way !!!!! great job .
Chocolate cake sounds wonderful ! oh man it sounds sooooo gooood. Ham too. Love ham .
well got to get in the warm rooms. I m freezing out her in the living room.
good night
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5810731

Well one more day of work and I go into Thanksgiving mode.
Off Friday on a vacation day so a 3 day weekend then a 3 day work week then a 4 day weekend.

Robyn is well into the Holiday light set up.
I have to do the eave lights this weekend but she does all the rest.
We've switched to about 80-90% LED so we'll see how it comes out.
I do know that each strand of 'Icicle' LED's are about 50% brighter than the old mini lights.
So you'll probably be able to see our street from Cookies! LOL!

Ric

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5810869

Ric, if I look in the right direction, I may be able to see them too. I stopped putting up lights several years ago, I would catch some sunny warm days to get them up, then it was always freezing when it was time to take them down. I know some people leave them till spring, but around here those people are not called nice names!! Sort of like "Red Necked woman", country song,

Chele, I read earlier where you were going to put ON some laundry, do you do that often? Hehe. I know you meant to say put IN some laundry, but just had to giggle at that one. Congrats to Jazzi's team, what a thing she will have to remember. I think it is great that they have a coach that insists on fair play. Gets my goat that some schools in the lower grades at least declare everybody a winner. Ha, not gonna happen in real life, and I think we have told them enough fairy tales.

Sue sorry about the DD being sick, hope it is just a virus and is a short lived one. Didn't know you were ailing, so sending t & p's to you both.

~~~ to everybody I didn't mention by name. Will be MIA again tomorrow, as I am going to DTS's tomorrow for some private lessons in some aspects of stained glass. She has been doing this about 2 years, so in addition to the classes I have taken, getting a little one on one from somebody who can help me a wee bit.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5811100

Eh, to heck with the folks who turn up their noses at lights left until the weather breaks. I say, as long as they're not lit, who cares. Anyway, we usually get a January thaw sometime. LOL

Bonnie, you need to post some pictures of your stained glass! That's something I'd like to learn, but I don't keep up with my hobbies as it is.

Chele, tell Jazzi that Howie and I are really proud of them, not just for the win, but for the way they've conducted themselves. That's terrific. I thought of your volleyball girls when I was at Goodwill today. They had a wall clock with little volleyballs all around its perimeter. Think any of them would like that? I should have taken a picture.

I found a heavy, long wool coat there, too, for only $7.99. It's not exactly tweed, sort of nubby. It's hard to explain. It seems fairly stylish still, but I'm not a good judge of that. It's in grays, so I can put anything with it. It has a belt that ties, too. At any rate, it's warm. I also found an old wooden car creeper with metal wheels. The wood has such a pretty patina on it. What on earth will I do with it? I hope to sell it, actually. The front has the word GOLDBAR spelled out in an arch in red. The headrest is red vinyl/Naugahyde.

I couldn't think of what the things were called - My grandfather had a couple of them, so I know what they are. I just kept thinking mechanic's dolly or something like that. I was looking online on my phone, trying to figure it out. Hah! Finally, I asked another customer. He said, "Lady, you asked the right person. I've been a mechanic for 40 years! That's a creeper!" He went on to tell me he can roll around on his back on one of those things faster than I can walk. He was quite enthused. LOL
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5811140

Bet your lights are gonna be gorgeous. None here for me. I didn't have them last year cause I went to Cali and I am debating if I should go this time too. Probably will. I love the holiday with the boys.

Love the Goodwill too. I like to just go and browse around there and Sally's (The Salvation Army). You can find a lot of good bargains there.

Chicken noodles were good and I am sorry to rub it in Sue but I had a piece of my birthday cake and it was chocolate with chocolate chips and chocolate creme cheese icing. A friend of mine made it for me. So she and I had a piece.

Nothing happening of any consequence soooooooo...I am gonna go watch Top Chef on Tivo.

You guys take it easy and Talk soon!
(Love and many kisses!)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
5:52 AM

Post #5811256

The only thing I dislike about shopping Goodwill and Sally's (love that) is they don't sort by size. They're just sorted by color in the local stores and it takes forrrrrrrrever to look through everything. For pants I tend to look for the longest pairs. At least the Goodwill has a plus size section, which narrows it down a little. Sometimes, I'd rather pay a buck more per item just so they could afford the labor to sort by size. They're not stores you go to if you're in a hurry! LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5811726

Good morning everyone
Ya'll were up late. I was out by 9 pm
Lost my stupid script grrrr. Put it in the grocery and poof . DH unloaded the grocery Hmmm .
i think Savannah is over the worst of it. Thank goodness. Woops sorry got to run
LOL got to get austin to school
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5812209

I'm glad Savannah's feeling better. A sick stomach is so miserable! DH unloaded the groceries, eh? :) Nice.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5812276

OMG! I blinked and I'm up to 8 loads of dirty clothes. The black load is going now. Oddly, we've lived her long enough to have a full yellow load due to school colors. LOL

Hubby ran to put money in the bank and go to the store and pick up chicken food. I "get" to stay home and do laundry...Hmmm, get cleaned up and go out alone or stay home with Maddie, be a slouch and work...not sure who got the better deal.

With sports winding down, we finally got to go back to Bible school and last night was the last one until January. Grrr.

I guess I better go brown some beef or we won't be eating that veggie soup tonight. ;)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5812337

I will never complain about my laundry ever again Chelle.
THanks GW . Yes funny how lately he is being really attentive and nicer ? Hey guess what i found all my scrapbooking stuff yeah.
We did get meds for vomiting , guess who will use them if she is the next person in line with a stomache flu ? LOLLLL My bad.
ok got to run
Dh is home and i got to look busy LOLLLLL
ttyl
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5812371

It's really hard to look busy when you're on the couch with an afgan and a box of bonbons.

^_^
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5812389

Keep a check sheet of how many have been eaten and how many need eaten. That should look constructive!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5812410

Good idea Chele...do that Sue...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5812560

Gasp, gasp, pant, pant...

The blacks are in the dryer, the blues are in the washer. Veggie soup in a pan, meat/veggie soup in the crock pot.

Soccer schedules have been replace by basketball schedules...

Now I have to clean up the laundry room. Hubby picked up a small shelf to hold the four flats of plants that have been living on the kitchen floor for about a month. Insanity reigns supreme! I am somehow slowly getting through the clutter!

Does anyone do the Angel Food Ministries plan? We looked into it awhile back but the closest church was about 45 minutes away. Now they have one about 12 miles from us.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5812593

What's the Angel Food Ministries plan? And yeah, if we had to write down every bite we ate, it might shock us into reducing the number of those bites, lol. But Michele is biting for two, so...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5812629

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Michele is trying not to fall into the "I'm eating for two". LOL I've only gained 8 pounds but it's not unusual for me to go up and down several pounds a week. I think it has a lot to do with my water chugging and the amount of games and practices we go do, coupled with the amount of cleaning and laundry I do.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5812658

Wow, I gained 50 lbs for my one, and still haven't lost it...LOL But, hey, it's only been 19 years...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5812895

We tried it in October, Chele. It was a pretty good deal. Howie said he might have spent about the same by buying everything in the box at Aldi Foods, though. The menu, and therefore the worth, changes from month to month. You can check out the menu on their site and judge for yourself whether it's worth the $30 for the main box and extra for the additional boxes. I'd probably do it again sometime.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5812905

We've done Angel Foods and really liked it. We need to start doing it again...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #5813243

Yep...Me too...I gave the excess to my Vets...We only eat so much rice etc...but the meats are usually a good deal...I haven't done it in awhile since we moved up here...Hopefully soon to be gone from here... LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5813347

Thanks for the link, Chele. Turns out we have one right up the hill in Cold Spring, and also one in Newport!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5813781

Hi folks. Sounds like you all been busy!!!
I decided to go do my shopping today, since they were calling for snow overnight tonight. I went by myself (Dave had to work)...WALKED Walmart...all of it...and came home and unloaded the groceries and put most away. Dave did the ones that go to the fruit cellar shelves. I did all that WITHOUT any pain meds, except I had two Aleve this morning!!! It probably wasn't a smart move either, because by the time I got home, I was hurting pretty bad...EVERYWHERE!!!! LOL!! I DID take pain med after supper! But I am trying to cut them down like the dr wanted.
The snow was just starting as I came home, and we got a good burst of it when Dave came home at 5. YUK!!!!
I guess if the roads are bad tomorrow, I won't go to therapy. Will wait and see.
Well...time for Extra...so will go watch it. Hope you all have a great evening!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5813816

GO MARCY!

Now put your feet up and rest! :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5813843

Marcy! You're a rock star! I haven't even looked to see the forecast here.

Hey, guess what! The creative director at Tesh.com just contacted me this evening and asked if I'd let them use some of my concert photos on the new concert website they're developing. It doesn't sound like there's money involved, but I'll have full credit with a byline. How sweet is that? :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5813858

Absolutely Teshy! LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5813941

Morning, afternoon, and evening!! This is the first time checking in for the day. Went to my sister's today, about a 2 hour drive, and she gave me a private lesson in stained glass work. After I see how and what to do, I can then do it by myself, so made a piece today using an entirely different technique called foiling. I think I have about covered all the techniques, now just need to refine them.

I guess from sitting in the car 2 hours there, then 2 hours back, I have a knee that is hurting. Since it is getting colder, it has been hurting some, guess old arthur has taken up residence there!!

Chele, yikes, all that laundry. I know that with 6 kids the amounts have to be lots more than mine, but I have problems keeping up with mine.

Kimberly how cool to be asked for the use of your pictures, and your own byline. Soon we will get to brag that we know a celebrity!!

Marcy, good that you got the shopping done, but I would have elected to take a half dose of pain meds, before, and then more after I got home. That way, you may have avoided hurting too much.

Sue, gosh, you lost your script, and now the DD's, I think instead of eating the paper, you take it to the pharmacy and they exchange the paper for the real meds!! Good that DH is paying more attention, and maybe helping out a little more.

Angel Foods, is that a ministry through a church? Seems I have heard of it. Somebody tell me a little more.

~~~ to Joyce, Marilyn, Dusty, Jazz, Janet, Neal, George, Ric, goshsmom, Toni, and here we go again, know I forgot somebody, know it is not for lack of trying, need to plug that hole in the brain where things have been falling out lately.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5814437

Well we got a few blasts of snow this afternoon.
When we made the KY run you couldn't see across the bridge!
Nothing sticking...

I'm off til Monday.
I'm thinking the shingles will wait till Thanksgiving weekend...
But I'll probably cave and do a few sometime this weekend.
The design is on hold... very costly... but I came up w/ a COOL alternative... Stay Tuned...LOL!

Great news Kimberley!

Marcy stay w/ it!

Chele stay on it! LOL

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5814569

Kimberly, you asked to see some of my stained glass, well here are 2 pieces that were handy, the one on the left is what I made today.

Thumbnail by defoecat

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5814630

Ooo, nice, Bonnie!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5814684

Thanks!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5814691

Those are so pretty! I love the wings on the dragonfly.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #5814823

Thanks, you all give me incintive to keep on plugging away.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
9:27 AM

Post #5815092

Bonnie! Those are so pretty! I think I'm partial to the dragonfly.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5815387

Hi, Everyone! Wrote kind of a long post last night and lost it somewhere in cyberspace. Don't even remember most of what I wrote, though.

Congrats, GW!

Beautiful, Bonnie!

Darius, cool idea for moving the storage room. You have an awesome library. If I had a library like that, I'd be curled up on the daybed all day reading with a huge box of Bon Bon's conveniently located nearby!

Marcy, sorry to hear about your pain afterwards, but Whoo Hoo about making it through the whole shopping trip on your feet!

Sue, hope you all are feeling better!

Chele, thanks for the link!

Dusty, hope the moving is going well!

Ric, anxious to see pictures!

Toni, good to see you posting again!

What's everyone else up to?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5815498

Morning all, just checking in.

Bonnie, those are fabulous!! Love them! Connie doing okay?

Ric, you KNOW you're going to work on it... ;o)

Marcy, you go, girl! Great progress. Hope the pain is all gone by now. It will make you stronger for sure.

Hi Ms. Robin don't you hate it when those things disappear? Geesh.

GW, so cool about the photos. You really do have a talent well, more than just one!!

Chele...how's that baby boy doing??? Seems like all I do is get one load out and folded and there's another that has to go in on the laundry...could hardly keep up with 4 kids, can't imagine how it would be with 7!!!

Sue, are you behaving yourself? You didn't catch Savannah's icks, did you?

George, Neal?????What have you two been up to? Bout time for a checkin from ya'll, too!

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Dusty...hang tight girlfriend..
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5815515

Joyce, thanks for asking about Connie, she is fine. I visited with her yesterday, and we had a grand time. She is providing some instruction on the stained glass, techniques I have never done before.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5815522

When will you be opening your shop, Bonnie??? ^_^
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5815525

Yup, I want to order a dragonfly wind chime. :^)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5815529

Yup...me too.

Hi Molly!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5815567

Hey Molly!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5815582

After the first of the year, I may put some items for sale on the marketplace.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5815584

Hi Joy and Darius.

Darius, Betty was asking after you last night in dmail. I told her she could find you over here. I see you are staying warm in the library. My feet and hands are cold now. We've had colder weather here this week than you had.

Molly
:^)))
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5815588

Gooood Morning!

The laundry will continue today. LOL I'm not dumb enough to search bedrooms before I start-that would make me not want to do a thing!

Thursday is our crazy running day. Hubby and Carly have basketball from 3:30-5:30. Kristenne has basketball every night of the week from 3:30-5:00. Then we had to meet the soccer coach to pick sizes on jackets and t-shirts for the girls. He passed out pictures and the winners page to all the parents. He was also having adult t-shirts made and vinyl banners but we had to pass on those.

It was really neat to drive through town last night and see posters announcing that Lynchburg has it's first state soccer champions. Talk about pride and choking back tears! I'm still amazed it was a group of 1st and 2nd graders that did it!

Bonnie, your stained glass work really is nice!

Joyce, baby is doing great! Thanks for asking. He is getting big or long. LOL He's kicking all the way from my pelvis to my ribs. If I sit upright, I can feel it on my legs. Maddie thinks it's really cool but my 13 year old thinks it's gross-like a little alien in my body. She forgets where she came from!

My neighbors gave me a nice cherry changing table that looks good with my bed! The garage gets damp in the winter so I went ahead and brought it in so it wouldn't get ruined. I bought some little plastic bins at the dollar store so I can start figuring out what I have and what I need. We were gifted three little Kroger bags of clothes and a couple of blankets so it's a nice start. Yesterday, he received two presents in the mail from DGers. :) It's starting to feel very REAL.

Bonnie, I'm going to put more laundry on. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5815590

Hi Molly!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5815602

Chele, just put it in the washing machine!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5815605

ROTFLOL You mean it won't jump in by itself?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5815620

Hi Chele, Congrats on the pending arrival of the little lad. I guess the girl mould got broke?

:^)))
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5815622

Good morning all!

I was just reading to catch up. Chele how is my little Cyber Nephew this am? Man why didn't anybody tell me about the Angel Food Network? I could have really used that when Momma was with us. Heck I can still use it now considering I am broke as the 10 Commandments for the most part. Good idea about the Vets Dusty. I can do the same with my excess, cause I think I am gonna be all over that. Thanks for the link Chele.

Kimberley I talked to Monterey yesterday and Candi thinks you had a wonderful idea. She said just let her know when and congrats on the Tesh pics. When you get rich and famous I can just sigh and say," I knew her when... " :)

Marcy...Great news about your walk around Wally World. The delegation from Cleveland like always is sending you good mojo.

Bons your stained glass is beautiful, you have so much talent. Martha Stewart has nothing on you Girl.

Darius I was watching that show Top Design and from what I saw the new/in thing is to not use rooms for the intended purpose...i.e. turning bedrooms into studio/offices or in your case a pantry. Not much you can change about a kitchen though.

Enjoy your time off Ric. Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide to do.

MsRob...I was on the phone last night with my friend Maggie. There may be some glitches coming up about the move to NO or at least starting a practice right now. Not everybody has the capitol right now and well, people are getting nervous about stepping out on faith with this economy. I can understand how my friend feels but it makes me want to rethink my own part in all this a bit too. I dunno...I just need to listen to God for a while. He never steers me in the wrong direction.

(((((((((((((((Joyce))))))))))))))))))) Hey lady!!!!!

Well, coffee's ready. Gonna go try to get this house straightened up for the weekend. We got 6 inches of snow up here and of course the plow guy hasn't done my driveway yet. I am not going anywhere today so I'll pop in and out.

Love and Kisses!!!!!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 9:45 AM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5815656

It must be the water here Molly! I keep telling people my baby has a deformity that we never had in the city! One of the soccer dad's said it's the redneck water here. LOL

He's kicking me Aunt Toni so he must be doing just fine! The neat thing about the Angel Food Network is that ANYONE can do it. You don't have to meet any criteria!

I'm going to call the local church today (it's not mine, but a sister to mine) and ask a question or two. You can place an order but it also says something about a start up package. I also need to see when you have to pay for it. I put 4 regular boxes, 2 Christmas boxes, extra chicken, the beef and cheese special and the fruit box or 2 in my cart and came up to less than $300 for three weeks of food. I'm not sure what I'd do with all that dry milk but the rest of the stuff we use anyway.

Toni, just jack up your house and wheel it on down here. I need a garden pal. :) It ain't LA but we have fun here.

If we stay in this house and ever have the money, we'd like to turn the kitchen into the master bedroom. I'd like to add a play room for the girls at one end of the house and add a family room/kitchen combo at the other end. It would make sense and give us 2 more bedrooms.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5815674

Chele,

You'd be surprised what practical uses you can have for dry milk:

Coffee creamer
reconsititute as milk for cooking:
Pancakes, french toast, biscuits

And then when no one is looking, mix half and half with your regular milk, put it back in the jug and pass it off as real.

When I was growing up we were a family that qualified for government surplus food. Dry milk, flour, rice, beans, pasta and when we were lucky, hunks of real cheese.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5815693

Thanks Molly! I'll have to drag out my Budget cookbook. I know there are recipes in it for dry milk. I used to keep all sorts of basic mixes made up (from that book) and with simple additions, you could make pancakes, cake, muffins, dumplings, etc, etc. I made up a batch of the oat mix the other day for dumplings-the best fluffy dumplings!

I remember my Great Grandma getting the "government" cheese! It was good stuff! On WIC, you get coupons for whatever kind of cheese you want.

Oh, UPS man!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5815737

Hey Molly!
Cool down there? LOL!

Oh we will definitely be working on the FPR today.
(Also wind blocking the Hot Tub...)
Just probably the indoor section.
Time to start the electric, insulation and finish work.

Well I hear hammers next door so off to work.
Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5815786

LOL Guilted by the neighbor's hammering?? Dang! It's cold out there today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5815799

Chele, I add a cup of dry milk powder to my bread dough for some extra nutritional benefits. You should also be able to incorporate some in a cheese sauce for pasta, or fortify puddings, etc.

We have about 6" of new snow! I sure am glad I brought a small stack of firewood to the front porch yesterday. It's supposed to be in the single digits tonight so I guess the snow will stick around a while. It is "purty" but I'm glad I don't have to drive anywhere in it.

The Kid helped me get all the pantry shelving apart yesterday, and all the jars moved to the new pantry. I got one wall of shelves nearly finished last night and now I'm ready to start on the perpendicular wall. I suppose all this moving might motivate me to organize this computer room, too. I have major plans to get papers organized... some loose-leaf notebooks for gardening, 2-3 for recipes, genealogy, and who knows what else is buried in these piles!

So, I'd better get to work... Stay warm everyone!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5815818

Thank you Darius!

Congrats on putting the kid to work and getting your pantry moved.

Condolences on the snow! I'm happy you can stay in and have wood.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5815876

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the encouragement! Yeah...the pain was a whole lot better after a pain pill and sitting for a while. Slept pretty good again last night. That sure does feel good!
Bonnie...love the stained glass work!!
Toni...keep that snow up there!!! LOL. I thought we would have it here...but didn't happen...YAYYYYYY!!!! But it is very cold!!
Anyway...I can still go to therapy.
Well...saying a big hello to all...and big wave too~~~~~~~~~~~!!!
I hope you ALL have a wonderful day!!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5815900

Hello all!! As the resident lurker , I realized I haven't posted in so long, that we have new members to our "family" that I haven't welcomed. Welcome to you new comers. This is the forum with the greatest people in the midwest!!!! I am ever present here even though I post very seldom. (cyber-shyness)

I'm so excited for Chele and the new baby boy. I remember you all in my T & P's .

Marcy- you are an inspiration to those of us who will be facing joint replacement in a few years . You have done remarkedly well and I'm glad your recover and rehab is taking place in the cold icky weather so you will be fit as a fiddle come gardening time . Keepup the good progress.

Darius and Toni--I'm glad you have snow instead of Indiana. I know we will get our share soon, but I'm definently not ready yet. Stay warm!!

Ric----I love following your project. You and Robin amaze me with you talents.

Kim... Congrats on your photos! Quite an honor to be proud of.

Dusty... I hope when you get moved all will work out so you can retire. Hang in there!

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy time with your family's.

Lurker Lou

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5815909

Ric, 3 mornings ago we woke up to 12 degrees. We are under freeze warnings tonight in Gainesville, so no telling how low it will get here...always colder here than there.

Molly
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5815913

The milk you get in the AF box is shelf-stable boxed milk, so it's ready to use in cooking. I've not tried it for drinking. When I know I'm going to be cooking something that calls for milk, I will chill it and give it a taste before using it. It may end up tasting good for all I know. The church that serves as our distribution center does it from 9-10:30am on the scheduled distribution day. They say to bring your receipt and boxes or bags. Howie said they were very efficient, got you right in and out.

I just cooked a meal made from our October box last night: Onions and pork chops cooked in olive oil spray in our cast-iron skillet, then transferred to another skillet to simmer with the cabbage. I also cooked the lemon-pepper chicken fajita strips in the cast iron, also tossing in some green peppers and onions; I'll serve that over brown rice for our dinner tomorrow. Yesterday was a cooking day for me. :)
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

November 21, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5816077

Got MIL home from the hospital yesterday. What a relief to not be getting home from work, running home, cooking supper and then running to the hospital to spend the night. DD is staying with MIL and I get to see my own bed.

It snowed a little last night. Not that appreciated, I'll tell you that! I'm hoping to get my fruit trees that were supposed to be here the middle of October in the ground this weekend. I got a little carried away and have 11 trees to plant but hopefully in a few years I'll have pears, peaches, cherries and plums. Also one more job keeping them sprayed I guess...

Hi to all and have a good day.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5816099

Ok I just got back from Giant Eagle. How in blazes do you come out of the store with 1 bag and it costs you 30 bucks? I am definitely gonna use the Angle Food Network!!!

(((((((((((((Lou))))))))))) Hey Sweetie. I hope everything is good for you. Last we chatted your job was getting to you. How did that work out?

Hi Molly! Pleased to meet ya!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5816133

Toni--- Lou's Loo is still outside and my tush is not appreciating it a bit. I have become a real B---- about it and am told that they are going to gut the old scale trailer and I will forever get to go outside and over to it for a restroom. I'm not at all happy but with the economy the way it is , I guess I will work a couple of years and then retire. I keep telling myself I should be happy I have a job and a paycheck. Knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel in two years I tell myself I can do anything for two years. Thanks for thinking of me. Lou
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5816135

I beat you Toni... I got 3 bags and a box of wine yesterday for $53... LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5816173

Ugh, that's rough, Lou. But like you said, you have a job and a paycheck when so many are finding themselves without them. You're close to retiring, too...Lucky you!

Giant Eagle is high. They are the closest grocery to us and they do have great quality meats, seafood and produce. The FuelPerks take a little bit out of the sting, but not much. We got to Aldi for the majority of our shopping, still.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5816263

Lou.. you are sooo right...As much as I want and need to retire, I just can't do it right now with this economy...Our income does not match the outgo with cost of living...It's just the way it is...Housing is alot cheaper over in MI, and that is why we plan to go there eventually...But like you, that paycheck looks mighty good...The gal at the cable company just told me they are hiring call center reps for the Kettering office...I may check into that..Depends on the pay too...I would love to not have to drive for a living in this winter weather...I don't mind it unless I have another humans life depending on my driving skills sitting behind me...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5816270

Ummmm Toni??? There is an extra bedroom at the new abode...When are you moving down???

Edited to add:

My neighbors don't mind if I plant stuff, and they have dogs too!!! ROFL

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 12:48 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5816399

Hey, Dusty, I caught that! I keep forgetting to ask Toni how she's getting along with her neighbor these days.

Cold here (32*) but no snow...yeah!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5816438

Enjoy it while you can Robin...its 24* here with a wind chill of TWELVE!!

Yeah, I still can't forget that idiot and her darn string on the property line...

HEYYYYYY TONI!!!! I have some Hunky Bros at the VA that are looking for a Good Woman!!! I can fix you up in no time!!!
Speaking of which, I called my sweetie Earl this morning to let him know I hadn't abandoned him...I love that old man to pieces...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5816549

LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Dang I knew I forgot to tell you guys...

OK ok let me stop laughing...

Remember back when Momma first went over my sister's? Back then me and the loonies were speaking...well Mr Henpeck who is a mechanic supposedly did a brake job on my car. When I asked across the (unfenced) back yard he told me it would cost $200-250. He came back with a bill for $541.00. Needless to say, you know what I told him to do with it and gave him $250 and went on about my business. He took the check and cashed it.

Fast forward to the fence adventures. After I called the Building Department and had them sited for the MLK segregation line and the string and trip wire, in July...5 months later she decided to take me to small claims court for the balance of what they were charging. Dumb Dora even sent a "final bill" to me via Fed Ex Urgent when she could have walked 20 feet and given it to me ROFL. Well of course I went to the Attorney General's website did a little and low and behold, that was against the law, wayyyyyyyy against the law. one of 8 violations of the lemon law to be exact. I also found out that it only cost 30 bucks to counter-sue in small claims so...I did. They sued me for $341 bucks and I sued them for $3000. LOL and guess what? I won. Didn't expect to I promise. You all know I just had hell in me and was fed up with the craziness and they forced me into full fledged Drama Queen mode and I had no clue what I was doing LOL but I won. Isn't that a hoot? And...I got triple damages on all 8 violations and I won for harassment. The actual amount was $250 which I paid them times the 8 violations times 3 plus 500 for harassment or $6500 but the maximum I could get was $3000 cause that's Ohio's limit.

Now every time they see me over my "free fence" they put up for me, they turn their annoying noses up and slam doors and what not and I just laugh like I took 2 silly pills and go on about my day.

I put the $3000 in the moving fund less a couple of hundred for the end of summer sale at Marshall's LOL and she brought the check over here and put it in the mail slot this time LOL.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5816626

You go girl! Merry Christmas!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5816707

Toni, I sooo wish it had been televised on Judge Judy or one of those courtroom shows. I would have taped it. I love it. *grin*
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5816719

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh TONI!!!!!!!!!!! TOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!
That is hysterical!!! The Depends are packed so I had to run to the potty and grabbed a couple of your silly pills on the way...I am holding my sides laughing!!! You are one Lady after my own heart...Onery to the BONE!!! Love it!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5816778

Well, I lied. I had to go out on the snowy roads after all... I needed angle brackets for my shelving top piece, and I have to replace an elec. receptacle in the kitchen with a double box. Of course the hardware in town didn't have any old work boxes so I had to drive 45 miles to Lowe's for just $4.51 in elec. materials. My freezer and the fridge were both plugged into one receptacle, mangling the wires to get the grounds on the plugs to fit (plugged in by a man who was helping, so I didn't know) and when I tried to unplug them, the whole shoddy unit came out of the wall. Side roads had been plowed by the time I returned so it wasn't too bad.

I bought a gadget 3-4 years ago that measures how much electricity any given item with a plug (not hard-wired) uses, and clocks the time it's running so I can calculate monthly costs. Turns out my small upright freezer uses twice as much juice as the fridge. Both need replacing, so now the freezer will be first unless the fridge dies before then. Sure wish I could measure the water heater's usage, or the heat pump.

Toni, love your story!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5816912

Toni that is a classic!! I love it. When somebody so mean seems so intent on causing you harm, you turn the tables and WIN!!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5817038

Hello to all.

Sorry I have not been around much but I have been under the weather so to speak. Grrrrr! I hate winter. My bones have been aching all week and its only going to get worse the colder it gets.

Hope you all are enjoying the weather more than me.

Question?? Do any of you winter sow anything?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5817081

ROTFLMAO!!! Way to go, Toni, My Girl! Serves them right for acting like that!

Darius, sorry to hear about the unplanned roadtrip. Glad you didn't have any trouble driving. Good news about the kid helping you move the stuff, though!.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5817086

Congrats, Toni! It's always good to hear about good people prevailing, and bad ones getting what they deserve.
Hi Carolyn and Molly, and any other new folks--welcome!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5817316

Yeah Girls, it was hilarious. I really think they thought I wouldn't show up with the broken toes and what not but I did and I blamed it on them LOL. That day I blamed everything on them LOLOLOL.

Anyway...Darius too bad about having to get out in this weather and Hey Carolyn! Good to meet you.

I just fried my over priced catfish and ate it and some homefries and peas. I don't know what this thing I have for peas all of a sudden is about. In any case, it was good.

Been thinking all day about what if I stayed in Cleveland. I don't want to. This city is dead for the most part. There is nothing here for me. I want to go on to get my JD, take the bar and be done with it. I have put it off long enough. I am feeling like I need a new page to my book so to speak. The Lt asked me if I had enough patience to homeschool the boys LOL. I just told him No, I am not gonna let him put me in prison for killing his kids. LOL Hawaii is soooo far. Hell it's far from California! I dunno. I just need to pray I guess.

The kids from across the street asked me if they could build a snowman in my yard where my garden was tomorrow. I told them sure they could. Wonder how that's gonna go over with Little Annoying Francis. It really sucks that no one wants to be bothered with her because her parents are so neurotic.

Well gonna go chill and watch the news. Will check in tonight if not...in the morning.

TTYL (((((((((((((All))))))))))))))
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5817406

So, Toni, are you saying that Cleveland doesn't rock??
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5817492

LOL Cleveland is a rock.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5817496

Hey everybody!
Been keeping up with everyone's posts, but most of my DG time has been occupied with the Piggy seed swap lately.

Toni, talk about just desserts! LOL...that was tooo funny.

Carolyn, I wintersow a bunch of stuff. Its awesome!

Waves to all!
Neal
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5817536

Carolyn I wintersowed 200 milk jugs last year
I am NOT going to do that many this year
I don't have anywhere to put them
I love to play in the dirt and sow seeds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ to ALL.
Pauletta

Thanks Chele for info on Angel Food
I haven't ever heard of it.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 7:57 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5817601

Hey all
Toni congrats on the win !!!!
Marcy great walking , you go girl
Bonnie and Chelle i made sure all the bon bons were accounted for :) HA
Darius glad you got the kid helping out, sounds like alot of work your doing getting the room ready .
Ric so how are the shingles coming along. I was watching PBS and the series This Old House was on and they were doing shingles. Thought of you for some reason ? lolll cold on that roof eh ? brrrr
GW soooo neat on the pics . Congrats , what an fun thing to happen. I love Tesh !
CC ( Carolyn_Cropper ) sorry to hear you have been under the weather . heal quickly . We enjoy having you around :)
Lou don't be a stranger ! glad to see you posting big ~~ to you .
KYdaylillylady Glad to hear you MIL is home. Hope she is doing better. Glad you got your own bed too. :) Lucky you on the tree's how fun . I would love to have them kind of tree's . I see pies in your future LOL
Helllllooooo Molly ! always good to see a new face around here. Welcome :)
Chelle i think you have another soccer player in your tummy !
Me ? well i m just trying to get through this depression caused by chemical imbalance from hormones. Sheesh. It shall soon pass.
Hope i got everyone if i didn't sorry
Hey Neal !!! big hugs
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5817665

Can you winter sow directly in the ground or do you have to do it in pots?
What about lilies and irises?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5817752

We got the HT tarped for the Winter... this will be the last ugly phase year.
We plan on making removeable panels to block the wind probably next Summer..
But we may just do it sooner.
W/ the wind blocked you can use the HT at 2 degrees or so lower temps... a big money saver.

We also started framing the inside closet walls in the FPR...
Since we are marrying an old and new structure it takes a bit longer to get the walls straight.
The closet will be 5'6" wide by 5' high by about 18" deep.
It will, at this point, be used to house our construction tools.
Later Robyn's art and sewing supplies...

For anyone thinking of adding a closet.

http://www.rd.com/18160/article18160.html

Sue we used rolled roofing for the top.
Easy and quick and cheap... took maybe 2 hours last Sunday.
The Cedar Shingles will be on the exterior walls.
I hate vinyl and wall siding is WAY too expensive.

It's calm and cold here but still 30 degrees.
Once the wind calmed down it wasn't bad outside today.
We got no snow but I know they had some down by Bonnie.
Jon's workman were talking about it.

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5818045

Ric, the snow didn't amount to much. But had plenty on the deck and the ground was mostly white. Didn't last long after the sun came up. It started snowing on me about Winchester, just a few flakes, and by the time I got to Lexington, with another 40 miles to go, it was almost a white out. I sure was hoping I would be home before anything began to stick to the roads. But that was not a problem.

Carolyn, I mostly winter sow annuals. If the ground is not frozen, you can go ahead and plant the iris and lilies directly in the ground. I have had very good luck with the annuals one year, and not so great another, so will try again this year, as the annuals if purchased at the nursery/greenhouse really are pricey. If I can grow them, it only costs the price of seed and a little TLC.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #5818401

Welllll...the boys are on the way down here...They should arrive around 1 to 1:30am...We will get the truck in the morning after they get a few hours sleep...We intend to be completely out of here and the house cleaned by Monday...It is 15.4 degrees here with a wind chill of 9*...Bitter cold... I do hope it warms up some for the loading later on...

This is working out to be a kind of pack as you go kind of move...The dining room set has been sold, and the kids will now be here to get it in the morning...The boy works 3rd shift and had no sleep today...I am giving them some extra things from the kitchen as well...I told her to bring boxes... LOL

I pulled a Bonnie, and had a nap, which I normally never can do...I was exhausted for some reason...Slept hard for 4 hours on the loveseat...
I told Sue yesterday that I felt shakey...Now I know why...I had a sore throat when I woke up...Guess I got a bug...Dug out the Zicam, so maybe I can shake it...I do know that I will be grateful to be sleeping in our new home tomorrow night...Even the pups are all piled in front of the heaters tonight...except for Kira and Boo of course...Those Brillo pad coated dogs will never get cold...Kira is pulling her coat and it will fill the vacuum bag when I run it later on...Sue is trying to dognap Lily...Gonna have to watch her tomorrow/today... LOL

I have the fridge and washer & dryer listed on Cheapcycle, and have people lined up for both of them, so that much less to move thankfully...
Gotta speak to Peaches the resident CAT...She is shirking her duties...I just saw the resident MOUSE in the laundry room, and she needs to be evicted or whatever...LOL

Took a few mins break and finished packing up the Nursery room...It had an antique washstand with a bowl and pitcher as part of the furnishings... That is where I had my bear collection...Nothing major...Just some Bears *speak to me* when I see them here and there, so I snag them...That started many, and I do mean Many, years ago when they started making/getting bears to donate to AIDS patients who were in the final stages...

We need new Pics of the CONstruction Bro...Git with the program!!! LOL

Okayyyy...today is going to be a loooong day, so I am going to catnap until the boys get here...Mothers are like that...yeah they are...

I hope you ALL have a wonderful weekend...Mine will be consumed with the moving, but it will be wonderful too... ;-))

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5818472

Hey, Folks!
I've been having a wierd week. Still no decision on the fireplace surround. I'm thinking abt putting a coat of paint on it so it won't look quite so strange for the holidays, & spending boring January & February on fixing it properly.
The electrician spent the day here Thursday fixing the bathroom. I got new fixtures over the sink & counter, a new fan (with heat & Light & it's really vented-- all the bells & whistles), a light over the bathtub so I can soak & read at the same time, an additional outlet, and new switches. The poor guy spent the day fishing wires, running from basement to attic to first floor & all over again. I was almost blinded when I turned everything on for the first time. Fabulous! The fan didn't quite fill the space of the 1955 one that quit (why oh why can't they make things that last- lol) so I'll need to patch that, but the light in the bathtub is so good I feel like taking my needlepoint in there to work on. Zowie! Fan a bit noisier than I expected, but that's the only downside.
Looks like I'm not the only one that feels that mammograms are torture. The irritation with my last one was that it was read as normal--- and I had a stage 3 advanced tumor! The good part: the mammo technician told me that my breast felt weird & I should get it checked out. She saved my life. Literally. So I think the self exam is much more important. OK, end of sermon. ANd when do we get to see George in fighnet stockings & stilletos?

I'm going to the craft show at Cincinnati convention center Sat. or Sun. And then on to the one at northern KY convention center the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love em!

I'm working on editing a book for a friend. I feel pretty honored to be asked! Hopefully, we'll still be friends affter she gets my suggestions- LOL. It's a book on silence-- good, solid stuff.

Toni-- did you say you had a sister who was a Sandinista? I had a cousin who became a Sandinista. We should compare notes.

Chele, I can't believe how little weight you've gained! I think I gained five pounds the first hour! 30 lbs total & didn't lose the last 10 lbs until I had all my wisdom teeth out & ate jello for a month. Maybe you'd have gained more if you weren't working it off doing laundry!

OK, back to Silence. I do find it amusing that I, a motormouth, am studying this manuscript on silence.

Hey, Sue-- you weren't losing because you were building up muscle maybe. My son recently started running, & he was going at it like a caffeinated hamster. He got frustrated because he wasn't losing, so he started alternating with weights, & occasional Pilates rountine. He's doing better now, is losing some, looks slimmer, and has stopped looking like a hamster. My 2 cents.
T&P to all,
Pat
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
10:20 AM

Post #5818539

Carolyn, containers are used for the "wintersowing" method, but some things can be sown in winter directly in the ground. For most things, I have better luck with containers- no problems with seed washing away with winter rains or birds and critters eating the seeds. I think lilies and iris would be good candidates for wintersowing.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5818780

I will bring pie for everyone on saturday Dusty :)
good morning folks
Yes Gosh i used to do alot of weight training and do usually go by inches than lbs but this year i can only do aerobic , i guess i m just impatient. I used to do a 2 hr workout 5 days a week and loose 2- 3 lbs bi weekly . this is just sloooow moving for me. Got to be more patient.
Ok got to run , git r dun stuff and oh yeah don't foret the kids breakfast. uhg at least i feel better today i can feel useful today.
T is cleaning the truck ? why ? we are a mud pit here at our house. LOLLLL
stay warm
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5818795

Goodmorning, All! Hope everyone is staying warm and well!

Dusty, WHOOHOO on the big move and having help! So glad it's finally coming together for you!

Hey, Carolyn, glad you're feeling better! I know your circumstances are different, but I can relate to the hurting bones. The first time I really felt my bones hurt was last year. I don't go the doc very often unless I'm really sick or in terrible pain. After a trip to the ER and a Moltrin and almost a thousand dollars later (no insurance), the only explanation I got was from a nurse and that was that sometimes fever will make your bones hurt. Worst medical care I have EVER recieved!

Daius, are you getting your new storage room close to done? One of the things I want in the "planned large room addition" is a good size storage closet.

Ric, thanks for that link. Will have to check it later. Anxious to see what design you have come with for the shingle design.

Well, our days are numbered here on the farm. Only one more week (possibly two) getting to stay home before we need to go on the road again. I've been able to stay home for 11 months this time and am very grateful for that. We got a lot a done, built up and improved this time around, so hopefully next time home we can start on our room addition and get the remaining landscaping done.

The cleaning out and organizing is done! Every drawer, closet and cabinet is done. Every wall and window has been washed. All that's left is vaccuming and shampooing carpet. The new shed is organized. My little shed is almost done and all my collected seeds soon to be organized in there. The open air potting shed is straightened up and ready to work out of. The garden is ready for next spring's planting and 3 compost bins are cooking. Life is good!

Guess I'm getting an early start on making my list of everything I am thankful for and hope you all don't think I'm going loony on you. I just want to let every single one of you on this thread know that you been an inspiration in one way or another to me. Whether by adversity that you have overcome, the confidence to tackle a project I was afraid of, or just the fact that lemonade can be made from lemons and how to make the best of it. Even reminding me of some hobbies I haven't worked on in a very long time. Cheers to all of you!

Okay, time to bow out gracefully...Luv ya, All!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5818808

Brrrrrr, it's COLD! Overnight low was 2, and just 5 when I got up this morning. I have to go to town AGAIN because I cannot find the short coarse-thread screws for my shelving. Grrrrr. My neighbor, who just got home from the 3rd shift, says the roads are mostly okay with an occasional icy patch. I'd love to treat myself to breakfast out, but there is no decent place in town.

Have a happy, sun-shiny day!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5818897

Wow! You all were chatty! LOL

Sue, I'm glad the bon bons were all accounted for! You sure don't want to find one down the seat cushion, in your bra or worse! Hey, along with your dieting, are you drinking plenty? Also, try to eat a lot of small meals, or snacks of veggies and such instead of three meals. Eating more actually helps if you eat good stuff. You could also be losing fat and gaining muscle. As much as you are working out, your clothes should at least feel different?

I keep joking that my boy will come out with curly blond hair, big blue eyes and be my cheerleader! I mean come on! I was a Barbie chick growing up-everything had to match, prissy prissy, the only senior in high school that wore skirts and dresses and the closest I got to sports was drill team which was actually part of the band even though we danced with and without 5' poles that had to be flung in the air. How can I be raising 6 little jock girls??? How How How? And not a single one got my curly hair! The two that have blue eyes-got my MIL's sky blue eyes and not my blue-green eyes. Life is so unfair. hahahaha

Awe, msrobin, sorry you have to hit the road again. Too bad you don't have a huge house already. I could move my herd and thousands of plants and greenhouses down there and keep things going while you are gone. LOL Then again, maybe you like coming home to silence and and peace and no screaming children. I remember reading somewhere that you had put in tons of plants down there, planning your future and they died out before you got back. :( That was you wasn't it?

Neal, a couple of years ago, I sowed a whole bunch of seeds in four big long window box containers then put them side by side and covered with chicken wire. Our chocolate lab went wild one day, trying to get to the driveway and had just enough cable to get to the boxes. Yep, she tore off the wire, knocked over the boxes and some strange things come up by the electric meter. geesh.

LOL Pat! I don't think I've ever gained more than 17-18 pounds. If you are fat before you start, you don't tend to gain much. Of course, I try to avoid the eating for two thoughts too. I just eat normal. If I want to splurge I do, just not every day. It's absolutely killing me this pregnancy that I cannot get out for Chinese buffet and crab legs! They are supposed to be bad for you when you are pregnant but I LOVE crab legs and the other kids turned out okay...

Gosh Dusty, you could have picked a colder day to move! Even the chicken water keeps freezing!

Ric, the closet idea is really nice. We did something similar at the other house. I'm sure you remember the end bedroom with the window seat? That allowed us to have two closets in each room. I sure wish I could do that here! The bedrooms are so tiny, we can't give up the space. I'd live to cantilever the back of the house but like everything else, that costs money too.

A semi went down the road the other day with a nice trailer on the back and I started yelling "Our addition is here". LOL I told the kids I was going to attach a trailer to the end of the house so we could have 2-3 more bedrooms.

Okay, I quit talking. My fingers hurt. hahahaha

Carly has a game at 1pm. Then there is a "meet the team" night at the high school.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5818905

Darius! There it is! Your calling! Open a little diner with quality home cooking.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5819069

Man that's Feb temps Darius!
It's still funny to me... you're hours south and so much colder!
But mountains and valleys...

18 for the low here...
Maybe 36 for the high...
Tomorrow though Dusty you should be seeing near 50 down this way...

Ric
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5819514

MsRobin I understand why you dont go to the doctor much. Half of the time they guess and tell you some crazy advice. I wish I didnt have to, it is so frustrating!

Once I went to a gyno for 4 months straight. I told "her" that I was pregnant. I felt pregnant all over. I had been trying for years to have another child with no success. Anyhow, she said I wasnt pregnant and put me on birthcontrol pills for bleeding, pain pills for the pain I was in, and muscle relaxers for the spasms I was having.
To make a very long story short here, after the 4th month I was passing out and ended up in the ER. I had been pregnant, almost 20 weeks with twins! One was in my tube and had ruptured nearly a month earlier they thought and I was bleeding to death internally! Neither of the babies lived and I barely did! I woke up with 4 iv's giving me blood and found out that my heart stopped twice on the operating table due to lack of blood. I ended up having a huge transfusion.

Talk about the worst medical care, Geez! I should have sued her for malpractice. She moved not long afterwards and landed in pikeville ky I think. Be warned if you live around that place and heaven help her current patients!

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 11:19 AM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5819534

Wow, Darius, I won't complain about the temp in the 20s here...I'll bet it's pretty where you are, though.
What? Fever makes bones hurt? What do our resident nurses have to say about that? And why are crab legs bad for you when you're pregnant? Can't remember if I had those back then, but since I was in Hawaii, I know I had a lot of fresh seafood. But I used to crave carrot cake and orange juice for some reason. Together, too, lol. Oh, and sometimes, braunschweiger sandwiches with mustard, which is gross to me now.
Pass the bonbons, please.

Edit: We cross-posted, Carolyn. Omg, did that doctor ever hear of a pregnancy test? That's horrible!

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 12:24 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5819763

Something about the amount of mercury in shellfish, if I remember correctly, isn't safe.

Carolyn, can't imagine how bad that must have been for you!

Forgot we had resident nurses! I had a cold and felt flu-ish at the time. I easily develop pneumonia when I get a bad cold or the flu, and it was a whole new ache/pain for me, so was concerned. Just about every major bone ached...much different than a muscle ache. Temp was only 101. The one Moltrim made my bones quit aching, though.

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5819899

It was a horrible experience which ended in about a year of therapy visits.

Oh, she did do a pregnancy test after about 3 months but it come up negative. It turned out that the ones she was using was outdated and 4 other women were also pregnant and didnt know it.
The whole thing could have been avoided had she simply drawn some blood and tested it!

To beat all though, when I had the emergency c-section, she left one of the babies in and the pathologist report showed only one. so I had to go back into surgery again 5 days later to remove the other one!
This doctor should not have a license!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5820527

We are continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926321/

******************** Closed**********************

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America