Thumbnail by RachelLF
Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Well Heeeeelllllloooooooo!!!!!!

Are you a former member of ABH?

Rachel

:D Guilty.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like good riding. Are you in the mountains there? We have miles and miles of great trails here, too. Is that your RV? A couple we ride with sometimes pull their trailer with their motorhome. They have a nice setup. Makes it so easy just to keep it all in the RV and hop in and go. Is that handsome kid yours? Looks like a nice horse he has found for himself. More pics, please!

This is a spot in the trail that takes us about 10 minutes to ride to from our barn door. The trail goes through a not quite dry creek bed. There are some pretty good steeps but the footing is great. My 7yo DGS has no problem riding them.

Did I already mention I'd love to see more pics?

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Look’s like beautiful riding there as well. We own quit a bit of mountain land which most connects to National Forest so there is lot’s of trail’s to ride. I don’t have many picture’s on this computer ( I am at work) but will add a few that I have on here taken a few year’s ago. Yep, that is our RV. The cute kid is a neighbor boy who love’s to ride with us. He rode one of our Foxtrotter mare’s up until he found his own “perfect” horse a couple of month’s ago.

Thumbnail by RachelLF

Here is a pic of my beloved Arabian mare that I lost to colic a few year's ago. I truly enjoy our horse's but I still miss this grand mare and alway's will. Arabian's are my passion;-)

Thumbnail by RachelLF

Another Arabian that I had a few year's ago. Fancy Free.

Thumbnail by RachelLF
Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

Those are gorgeous girls you had there!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We don't own any property. We rent our barn and we are partners in a rental of a large run down farm where we pasture some of our horses. I'd love to own a big parcel of property. I have such dreams for a big place. I'd be happy with a few wooded mountain acres so I could build me a little shanty to stay in on weekends. Lots of folks here have them. Great for relaxation.

Foxtrotter, huh? Do you have other easy gaited horses? We have 10 horses and all but 2 are easy gaited.

Sorry about your mare. She was a real beauty. Colic is a scary deal. No matter how careful you are sometimes it just can't be prevented. Too many causes and sometimes it seems to happen for no reason at all. If you are a passionate Arabian fan, you and Jenks will have lots to talk about, (while the rest of us scratch our heads and wonder what all the big words mean) LOL. I know next to nothing about Arabians but they sure are pretty.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ahem, don't forget this Arabian girl either Cajun. LOL

Hi Rachel!! Glad to see you join us here!! Like the others said we are a wild and crazy group. I don't own any horses but have been riding off and on my whole life pretty much. Until I lost my job a couple months ago I was taking lessons at a nearby Arabian farm but had to quit due to job loss.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Who is crazy???

HA!!! Sayz who eh?

The black arabs were really pretty Rachel! Daughter of Fadjur? squeee....Ahem....sitting on my hands...

Both of you for sure. Definitely not me. :~p

Thank you KathyCoRanch on the compliment. It was much appreciated.

pepper23, I am sorry that you lost your job but hang in there and hope you still get to hang out at the Arabain barn that you were taking lesson's from. Arabian's are a very special breed of horse as I am sure you have already found out.

CajuninKY, Your welcome here any time to vacate and enjoy some "mountain time" It is truly relaxing and you may even get to see a few bear's that stride about where the old motor home is as well;-) Lot's of wild life to view and good trail's for hiking/riding. As far as owning any other easy gaited horse's here, our MFT's are the most gaited. My primary riding horse is mostly Saddlebred and 1/4 Tennessee Walking. He is a fun ride with lot's of go power and even get's prancy when he know's he has an audience viewing. Sorry for your loss on the one that you had to put down in October. It's never easy to say goodbye to human's/animal's that we enjoy so much and love.

Jenk's, sorry, no Fadjur line's here in the past but I have a wonderful friend in South Dakato who breed's the Fadjur line's. I will have to see if I still have a pic of a filly that she bred for last year that made my tongue wag over. Mine have mostly been Polish and polish/russian but my grand mare that I bonded so much with had a Saklawi sire line with a Blunt (cmk) dam line.

Thank's all.

Rachel

Welcome Rachel, thanks for the pics! Hope to hear lots from you.

You too Pagancat. Where exactly is Gainesboro TN. I am very familiar with the bigger cities of TN .

Jenk's.

Last year's filly from a Fadjur breeder. I was told from the breeder that this filly found a loving home in Georgia.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by RachelLF

If you know where Cookeville is (almost right between Knoxville and Nashville) Gainesboro is a tiny town just to the north west of it, about 25 miles. AKA - the boonies!

If your town is like mine it's a don't blink cause you will miss it kinda place. lol

Yes, we live in the boonie's and a "if" you blink you will miss us as well.

We visited Revelation's farm in Cookeville back in the Spring. Nice area you live in.

Oh, yeah - I had been there, too. Wasn't too happy with the condition of his horses - hope your trip was better.

No, We were not happy with the condition of the horse that we looked at either, mentally or physically! I let him know our thought's as well during that visit.

We have not been in touch with him since.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Are they still breeding those "unique" Arabians with the deformed looking heads? I think they called them "seahorse" heads. There was a picture of a mare with that head and I saw the pic before I read the story. I thought the horse had been in a horrible accident and the story was going to be about how she survived against all odds. I absolutely could not believe it when the story touted her as elegant and I realized they actually thought she was beautiful. The poor horse looked like a freak. Then I saw where they were breeding them that way on purpose! Are those poor things still in vogue? I hope not. Arabians are a beautiful horse. Why fix something that ain't broke?

Thing's are slowly but surely changing in the Arabian halter world . For the better as a whole. But I have to add that I have seen worse in the QH halter world!

Rachel

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Anytime something is bred for looks rather than performance, you can read the handwriting on the wall. That's why the BC people fought to keep the BC out of the AKC.
Health becomes a thing of the past. It's sad and it even happens in people when LOOKS outweigh health. I'm thinking of all those unhealthy, annorexic models and actresses.

Cajun. You was not born yesterday! Good to know you. On to something a little different for a equine forum.

Pic's from our visit in Florida earlier this Spring. I enjoy the all white peafowl there.

Thumbnail by RachelLF

One more.

Thumbnail by RachelLF

A place we ride to in National Forest.

Thumbnail by RachelLF
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That looks like great riding!

I'll pass on the bears. I'd love to see one myself and get some pics but my horse, Shaq, is deathly afraid of them. I had an awful time with him a few weeks ago when he caught the scent where one was on the ridge above us and it was all I could do to hold him. I use a big bit on him, 1 1/2" high port and 10" shanks with a chain curb, and I needed every bit of it to keep him from running away.Fortyfive minutes after I got him back to the barn and in his stall he was still jumping at every little noise and movement. I hope I never have a ride like that again. I took him out for 5 1/2 miles 2 days later and he was his same old sweet self. That bear smell nearly did him in. LOL

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

*waving hi to Rachel*
Welcome Rachel!

Thank's for the welcome DevilDog's.

CajuninKY, our horse's are use to the bear's around here but us human's still are leary of them. We view them quite often but the first time a human get's a whiff of one...you won't forget it. The closest one has ever came around us was in 2006 while we were camping. We were sitting outside in some lawn chair's when a nice size bear showed up within 10 feet of us! I was feeling a little spunky and decided to chase he/she out of our territory (so to speak) . Boy I really put a scaring on him because he ran a few feet away from me and sat down. UGG. that's when I made the decision to back off slowly and hold that stick real close. Here recently a neighbor of our's was deer hunting on our property and had his kill taken away from him by a bear. That poor guy was slashed down his arm and almost lost his pinky in the process. Needless to say the bear got his meal and thankfully it was a deer and not him.

We "pack" here when we go riding/hiking.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Rachel, it's funny (strange funny) that you mention about bear smell. When Joey was a baby and I was feeding him every 3 hours, one night at 3am as I went out for a feeding, I smelled something really rank that I wasn't sure what it was but it scared me. I carried a hockey stick in one hand and his bucket of milk in the other hand every time I went out at night, just in case. The smell really bothered me the entire time I was out there and I practically ran back to the house when he was done eating. I reset my alarm for 3 hours and went back to sleep and my very first thought when I woke up again was "bear" and from then on I was completely convinced it was bear I smelled. I have no clue when I smelled bear before and even called my parent's later that day to ask them if I had ever smelled one and they didn't think so. My DH was pretty sure it wasn't because the horses weren't acting up but they are around here so it's possible. I just need to smell one so I know for sure if that's what I smelled or not that night.

You probably have an infant memory from the bears at the zoo.

DevilDog's, I think your (smell, instinct) kicked in that night. And yes you are definately correct because the smell of a bear is a rank one.....I can only add that they just down right STINK!! It's a stinky/ranking smell un-like anything I have I have ever smelt before and I really can't associate that smell with anything in particular. Hopefully they are not and will not become as abundant in your area of zone 7 as our's.

Bear season started here last weekend, so hopefully there will be "less" bear's in our area for a while.

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

LOL PC. Guess the Detroit Zoo was good for something!

Rachel, isn't that weird. It still makes me crazy and my DH teased me about it terribly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images