Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: About Root Cellars: Root cellars: rooted in history

Communities > Forums > Article: About Root Cellars
bookmark
Forum: Article: About Root CellarsReplies: 1, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 18, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5804364

Another fine article, Sharon, well written and well researched as always. We didn't have a root cellar, but relatives whom we'd visit did have them, so I'm at least familiar with them. However, we did have a basement at the house I grew up in and it had a dirt floor, none of these posh basements like today. It was mainly used to store the porch furniture, pots of flowers and tools. I remember the smell of it to this day. Certain odors are so evocative, don't you think? Mums are all about funerals. My mother's perfurme, my grandmother's face powder, my grandfather's Old Spice.

Have a lovely day.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5804844

Good Morning, Hemophobic,
I am glad you appreciated the "scent" that wafted from the article, just as I hoped you would do. Nearly every time I dig a hole to plant a flower, and smell the earth, I remember that old root cellar. I never did out grow the door opening, so I entered it many times over the years until sometime in the 70's and it was no longer. But still I remember.
Same with the scent of flowers, just like you.
Thank you for writing, and I hope your day is filled with sunshine and good memories.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: About Root Cellars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love that last line! gloriag 4 Nov 19, 2008 3:04 AM
Root phicks 5 Nov 19, 2008 7:21 PM
A face with the stories postmandug 3 Nov 18, 2008 10:03 PM
Store Tender Bulbs too! dahlianut 1 Nov 18, 2008 8:37 PM
Fruit Cellar Kelli 1 Nov 18, 2008 9:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America