Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clean and Clutter-free: Where do you start?

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 164, Views: 1,499
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 18, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5806357

I have been Lurking a bit. And I look around here and have no clue where to start..Looking for some Motivation..
TIA
Kylie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5807417

Are you talking decluttering or something else? If the problem is strictly motivational (versus being overly emotionally attached to stuff) then the best way I've found to get things done is every day set the timer for some small chunk of time (5, 10, 15 minutes) and pick an area and do what you can until the timer goes off. You can even do multiple small time chunks at different points in the day if you're up for it. When you sit there looking at things and thinking of your goal in terms of getting the whole house straightened up, that's such a huge job that it's very hard to motivate yourself to do it, but now if your goal is cleaning for 5 minutes, that's a much easier goal to achieve so it's much easier to motivate yourself to do it.

If your problem is emotional attachment/inability to throw things away, then the thing I usually suggest to people is rent a storage space and put all the stuff there that you can't bear to throw away. That way you still have it if you ever want it, but the fact that you are now paying to hold onto your stuff that you can't bear to get rid of can help break that emotional attachment to it and make it easier to get rid of it in a few months when you realize that you have other things you'd rather do with that money.
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 19, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5809945

No emotional ties here..LOL Funny you say the timer thing.. That is how I get the dishes done.. I can do those dishes in less that 5 min's.. LOL When it comes to the office I just get overwhelmed..poor organizational skills..(Can't spell either).. I want it to be better .. BUT I usually find something else to do...outside... I am open to any suggestions.. I know I need to do better and it would cut the stress factor of coming in here..
Thanks!!!
Kylie
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5810544

An elephant is eaten one bite at a time.

That runs through my head as I work on various insurmountable messes in my office.

Some day I will be done with all of this and can move on to all of the pictures I have sitting around in boxes. That will be fun...
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5810581

It didn't get that way in one day so it stands to reason one day won't clean it up. I'm starting with the motto," If I haven't used it in a year throw it out." There I said it.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5810717

1 of my problems is many times, as soon as I discard sosmething...I find that i need it. Or with the "haven't used it in a year rule"...well, I haven't known where it was, but would have used or worn it if I knew where it was.
When rented, I'd move to a bigger house about every 5 years. I own now and after 13 years, I can hardly walk thru my house. It is very depressing and I would be terribly embarrassed if anyone came to visit.
Also, I am disabled with back neck and knee problems and just the bending and lifting things to decllutter causes such arthritis pain that often I just go to bed. ...eother from the physical pain or the emotional pain.
BUT, I really don't want o live like this anymore. I'm 57 and figure to have at least another 20 years or so...O me,how and where to begin...
newhobby
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5814594

Here is how I begin-
I wait until I can't stand it anymore, there are too many weeds, or the office is soooo cluttered, and or (actually the best) there is clutter everywhere and I am about to pull my hair out! I pick a day on which around 11 AM I pour a rum and coke and start cleaning the kitchen (the daily stuff). I go to the bathroom and clean that. By then, I need a refill. I go outside (yes, a smoker here) have a smoke and enjoy a few sips knowing I got a few things done. While out there, I casually pick a few things up and put them away. I head back in and that is usually when the bug gets me...By around 4 I am still pumped (and a little tipsy) and am looking for more to do. DH makes dinner, I eat, and after a good soak in the tub because my back is bad too, I am out like a light for the night!

The only problem with this approach though, I can never seem to find anything I organized during the spree. LOL! So, I try and keep it to cleaning only and make stacks if it's paper to be organized later! ;o)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5814616

I never thought about the rum & coke approach...may have to try that one myself!
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 21, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5815951

I am a "Frosty Beverage" drinker.. ;O).. Maybe I should give that a go...LOL
I know I do better if I make a list.. The reward is being able to scratch something off reguardless how small of a task..
I NEED a list!! and I will scratch something off by the end of the day!!
HMMMM???? does icing down the "Frost Beverages" count???...hahahaha
Thanks Ya'll !!
Kylie
newhobby
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5816844

LOL! I was afraid I would be banned from this forum with my approach! Glad I am not the only one who likes the idea!
I am horrid with lists! I lose the dang thing before I can even cross it off! Hopeless without the adult beverage getting me started!
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 21, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5816920

Nice to know I am in Great Company!!! LOL
newhobby
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5816991

Always!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5818743

I'm a "one brick at a time" person. I had things bothering me in 2000. I decided to lay a brick sidewalk around the side of the house. I started on New Years day and finished in June. My thought was one or two or a few bricks a day. Amazing how delighted I was to see the end results and my mind could work over my problems while I was on my knees. They worked out too. I use the same theory on clutter. I vow to discard at least one thing a day. A bag for donations, junk mail and catalogues. At least one item a day. It will show results eventually and for now, it is instant gratification. Good luck!
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 22, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5820405

THANKS!!!
I can discard one thing a day!! HMMMM!
Kylie
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5820879

My 1st suggestion would be the alcohol bottle. At least for me. and besides that never helps anyone and is a poison to the human liver
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 23, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5820991

Food For Thought!!!!
Thanks!!! I would love
Kylie...

SudieGoodman
Broaddus, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5844468

Zone 8b Lake Sam Rayburn, deep East, TX

"A cluttered house means a cluttered mind". I'm working daily on my cluttered mind. In the meantime, I tackle what is "bugging me the most".

"Anything is a cinch, inch by inch".
Terry, can we have a "spell check?"

Keep at it folks; you can do it.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #5873401

HI Sudie,
It took me a while before I discovered that there was a spell check right there on my desktop (I think it's called)...anyway, it you look in the upper right hand corner just above the white page that the typing is on, there should be "tools"...
Right click on "tools"- that should bring up a list of options with "ie spell" (this is the next to the last on my list)...
Left click on "ie spell"... if you have this feature, this is the only one that I know of and know how to use. It does miss some things and , of course does not recognize others, so click onto ignore or add accordingly, then when done, I often must return to finish with my own editing. I have found this to be better than nothing, however. If anyone out there has a better way, please enlighten both of us...
Happy gardening and , as always - Wing waves to ya,
BirdieBlue / AKA Sheri :-)
susan727
Culpeper, VA

December 10, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5876753

The flylady approach is great for folks who tend to have a bit of ADD (like me :) Approach some clutter, set timer for 15 mins, and stay focused on task. It is amazing how much can get done in just 15 mins. It has helped me. I don't follow everything she talks about but the 15 mins deal is great.

Susan
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5877358

Yeah, I like to visit the FlyLady site and pick up hints and motivations.
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 9, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6663173

A dear friend who is highly productive in spite of battling MS said to me once, "Life is a piecemeal project." I wrote that down and hung it on my fridge to battle my perfectionism and impatience with process vs. product.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6677213

"A cluttered house is a cluttered mind" aaarrrgggghhhh! I hate that kind of thinking! I have a dear aunt that had the cleanest and tidiest house of anyone I have ever known. But cleaning was her hobby. Not messy things like painting, gardening, broken china mosaics, etc. etc.
So what's wrong with a cluttered mind? I like to have a lot of things to think about.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 13, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6682075

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I am not sure if any one else on here has the problem of merrily typing along and then ending up losing the whole message. That is more than annoying. Maybe it is the Universe's way of saying that I am babbling and should come right to the point. hahaha Oh well, will try again.

As I was typing in the lost message, I went back over this page and read some of the old posts. They are full of some very sage advice. If only we were better at practicing what we preach. That is speaking for myself only, of course.

Anyway, I came upon the idea of putting in to practice something that I learned at a Motivational Seminar that I attended many years back. The instructor pointed out how powerful the written word is and also how important images or visions are too. One of the main points that the leader wanted to get across was that in order to succeed in obtaining whatever our goal was, just how important it was to be able to clearly define the aim. Our aim, or mine at least is to get to a point where my home is still cozy and inviting, but uncluttered at the same time. In order for me to obtain this, I have to reach a point where I am finally willing to give up some things that are now standing in my way of achieving this goal.

The point of the seminar was to help us first clearly define our goal and then to take the needed steps to obtain it. In order to clearly define it, it helps to write it out and keep it in a place where we will see if often in order to reinforce our desire. One of the exercises that we did at the training was to take old magazines and cut out pictures of the object of our desire. In my case here it would possibly be pictures of shiny and clean, uncluttered floors with nice pieces of furniture sitting around and minimal knick knacky sorts of things. We were to take these pictures and paste them to a piece of paper or a board and to also have this displayed in a place that we would see it often in order to remind us of our goal.

Until this morning, I never thought of incorporating this exercise in to my de-cluttering wish. I am going to start today and first find an index card and write out my goal and later today after chores are caught up, I plan to start looking through magazines and cutting out pictures of my dream home. I will then keep both the written message and also the collage of dream pictures on my desk where I will see them several times a day.

I am excited that I thought of trying this. Maybe some you will find it helpful also. If anyone else does decide to do this, I would love to hear back how things are working for you.

Thank you Joey and Caitlin for re-activating this thread. Looking forward to hearing from folks who might give this a try. I hope that all reading here will have a great weekend. Take care.

Ruby
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 13, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6682675

Ruby,
I think you made a really good point. We each need to define our goals.

joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 14, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6685076

Ruby, you're right- the written word IS very powerful. Sometimes I make "want" lists- just material things I would like, and then I put the list away. Often, sometimes even years later, I'll come upon one of those lists and am always amazed at how much on the list has manifested itself in my life! I've done the same with "to do" lists. Every time I make a to do list, I get overwhelmed. It always seems like so much to do and of course it all seems "urgent" at the time. Now, I'll make the list, tuck it away in a drawer and forget about it. A week later I can look at it and be surprised at how much I've accomplished (again, the power of the written word). And often, the things that seemed so urgent at the time I was writing the list somehow take care of themselves or I've gained perspective by then and realize they were no big deal.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 15, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6692186

I think my immediate goal is to get everything UP off the floor so I can clean all of the floors...This is a well-named thread - "Where do I start"? I get overwhelmed with it all and end up doing nothing. Kitchen if first - easiest to pick up, but dirtyest. Living on a farm makes cleaning much more of a constant challenge.
If you don't hear from me in awhile, maybe you could send in the national guard?
I have a great idea. I have wished that I had a portable out building where I could temporarily store unsorted clutter as I clean each room, then sort thru it and put it where it belongs or send it on its way...Well, I have used all of the spare rooms in our house for this job up until now, until there are no more spare rooms, so that idea has definate drawbacks...but here is the NEW idea:
A "cluttermobile" that you can rent for various periods of time, and when your rental period is over, someone drives away with anything still left in it and it is donated to Goodwill.
As you can tell, I would much rather sit and talk about cleaning than clean. Ah well, keep on keepin' on everyone!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 16, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6694453

Haha! I love the cluttermobile idea! Not very practical, but THIS lady http://www.flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp is. I just found her site a couple of days ago through a mention in one of the forums here. Very simple, very inspiring stuff and it's working- at least on me. Yesterday I filled the trunk and half the backseat of my Honda Civic with clutter and took it ALL to the City Mission. Can you believe it? And of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Not sure what I'm gonna take on today... maybe the linen shelf in the laundry room. I LOVE her babysteps concept.

Caitlin, I don't live on a farm- just 1.25 acres here, but we're rural and there's just never enough water, so I always feel behind on laundry, even when I'm being "good" and trying to keep up. Do you have a mudroom? None here, so everything gets tracked in- dog paw prints, grass clippings, "helicopters" from the maples, even an occasional slug- ew!
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 16, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6694826

HaHaHa! yes, we have a mudroom and it is the kitchen/entry way! Lots of mud in the mudroom...
I have begged for a mudroom addition, but DH doesn't care to spend on "cosmetic improvements". I understand, as dairy farming is a challenging industry and he has done terrific just to survive for the last 35 years.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2009 8:21 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 26, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6989778

Hello readers. My goodness, what a busy couple of months I have had. I see that I haven't been on this thread since June 13. I am almost ashamed to admit that I as I re-read what I had written on the thirteenth of June, I see that I never did what I said I was going to do as far as defining my goal and having images of it where I would be reminded. (Hangs head in shame.) NOT...but, I do see why I haven't made much progress with the two rooms that needed the most attention.

Joey and Caitlin, I appreciate both of your input. I hope that you two are still interested in sharing here. Joey, I love your testimony of how you have taken the time to write things down and then put the message away only to find later and see that you have indeed made some progress with your goals and also gained some of the material items that you had hoped for. Gosh, I guess I feel like admitting my shortcomings this morning...I just realized that I have had this clutter problem for at least five years, the length of time we have lived in this particular house. If the truth be known, I actually developed the problem long before this when I lived for seven years in another house.

I began accumulating a lot of "extras" when I had something particularly traumatic happen in my life. After giving some thought to why this may have started I realize that what I was maybe doing subconsiously was trying to fill a void from a particularly painful loss, with things. I am here to attest that it didn't work.

I believe the problem began when my husband, my 8 year old son and I moved to a town about a thirty minute commute from where we had lived previously. My ex, my son's father didn't like the move and immediately began causing legal problems for me. We moved in June and the very first week I was there I received a suit in the mail for a change of physical custody of my son. I won't go in to how I spent the following few months because they are really painful to recall and would be book length to explain. Anyway...after spending many thousands of dollars on a poor example of a lawyer, and being a nervous wreck round the clock, I finally decided that I didn't have any more fight in me and I consented to let my little one go and live with his dad.

This left me feeling utterly devastated. I spent almost a two year period in a deep depression which left me feeling zombie like. I cried buckets and buckets it seemed. Thank God that when my son turned fifteen he decided that he wanted to come and live at my place again. He is now nineteen and he just recently moved in to his own apartment and everyone is doing well. Good ending to the story...but it left me with a bad habit which has created several areas of clutter for me to contend with.

As I stated, I believe that I was using amassing things to try and fill the void that was left when my son moved. When I finally was able to get myself up off the couch and tiptoe outside in to the world, I found an auction house within a mile of my new home and the auction house held two auctions a week. That definitely spelled T R O U B L E for me. The thing about auctions is that a person can take a very little bit of money and sometimes come home with a car load.

For several years afterward the highlight of my life would be attending the auctions and very often buying lots of things that no one else in the place wanted. I would often get a box of goodies in which one of the items would be actually used and the remains of the box began being stored in the two extra bedrooms that we had. Several times during the years that I was actively attending the auctions I actually sent some things back to be auctioned off. There would come a point every so often when I could no longer stand the clutter, so I would get myself psyched and get rid of all the extras. This proved to always be short lived, because I kept up the buying and cluttering.

So, sorry about the length of this. I am hoping it will serve being freeing to me and allowing me to move on to the step of finally getting rid of the things that are weighing heavily upon me. To add to the many items amassed from auction sales, my husband and I have both been inheritors of items of the closing of two estates, his parents and mine. My parents both died during the last twelve years and his parents closed out their home and moved in to a retirement facility.

So, if you can imagine, there are many, many objects inside of our current home, which is half the size of our previous one and also a medium size storage shed over filled. And here I sit, twelve years later feeling pressure about the condition of my house and the shed. One of our spare bedrooms has served as a catch all since we moved in five years ago. I have watched TV shows about de-cluttering, read books on the topic and talked myself blue and there has still not been a complete release for me.

I would love, love, love for the next little while on the calendar to be the time that I am actually involved in finally ridding myself of things that I will never use. I am not going to put too much time or energy worrying about starting the process until I get back from vacation on September 6. After that I am going to devote as long as it takes to go through all of my things and donate or give away. I am hoping to find some support in some of these clutter threads.

Sorry about the length of this post, but I needed to get it written down in one place so that I may refer to it later when I find myself getting discouraged about all that I have to do. Before getting up from here I plan to at least write my goal down on paper and put it where I can see it.

Thanks to anyone who read this far. Take care and have a good and productive week.

Ruby
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6989849

Ruby, we are on the same wave length! Where to start is my question. I guess "anywhere" is as good an answer as any! Our youngest son moved his bed to grad school this summer, so I have one empty space to begin my decluttering and organizing. I once read this advice: Have 4 boxes, one labeled "throw away", another for "put away", "give away", and another for "decide later".
Good luck, brave fellow traveler!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 26, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6989880

Hi Caitlin - Yep, I didn't share before, but I have actually made progress on getting a guest room set up in Tucker's old bedroom. The only thing that needs done in that room is to begin dusting and recording how many elephants I have in my collection and putting them away in the cabinet that we moved from living room in to there.

Oh yeah, go through the several boxes that I kind of just pushed in the closet in order to shampoo carpet in there. Not too much to do thankfully. I will start there after returning from our trip. I hope that you will share your progress on your new room too as you get things done.

Joey, I forgot to respond to your note on Flylady. Yes, those boxes will make the process a whole lot easier. I will do that when I get started too. Thanks for sharing and I am glad to hear it is working so well for you.

Take care all.

ruby
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6990005

You will get er done!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

August 26, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6990978

Ruby, you've made me think - why am I such a clutter keeper? Can I really blame all of it on thritiness? I'll give it some thought over the next several days.

I still have some things I'm keeping in my closets. My only child gave me his high school letter jacket. I can't wear it - it's huge, he doesn't want it, why am I keeping it? It's one of those mornings that the tears are so close to spilling over about nothing. (oops, not close, they just spilled out.) It hard to get rid of his things on some days. It has been in a closet since he graduated in 2001.

Maybe being able to get rid of things is a gift. I have a talent for "keeping" junk! I told my mom this morning that my son doesn't want any of my KRAP. She just laughs. But it's true. It doesn't hurt my feelings as bad as it used to. Guilt is a terrible reason to keep stuff, too.

Get started anywhere - yes, that's good advice! But don't give up when you get bogged down in tears, guilt, regret, and other emotional baggage! Get back in and keep plugging away. Don't let a bad day ruin the project. Keep on keeping on.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 29, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #7000552

Thanks Gava and Trouble - Awwww Gava, even though tears are beneficial in many ways and we most often feel a bit of relief after shedding a few, it is sometimes upsetting to be at a point where they are necessary. I hope that you will begin to feel better really soon. I hope that doing my examining of my life on here wasn't responsible for you feeling bummed out.

I just know that the trauma I experienced with my little guy leaving my home to live with his dad is when my clutter problems began and I need to, or at least want to, somehow get free from the hold all of these extra things have on me. I am kind of waiting for some big revelation to smack me between the eyes so I can go in to the "clean sweep" mode and be brutal about it. The idea just popped in to my mind that maybe I need to begin visualizing the over stuffed closets and piled high shed as being de-cluttered and organized. Oh my gosh...seems delightful. I can see it in my mind's eye. That is what I want!!!

As for your son's letter jacket, I believe that I would have to hold on to it. Maybe someday his children will want it. I plan to keep things that are special to me such as this. Not sure of anyone's ages here but I am sure that some of my hoarding is due to being raised by depression era parents, who tended to hold on to everything because there may be a use for it one of these days. I totally hate waste and wouldn't think of trashing some things that I see people put in their trash. I am a real believer in using second hand items if they are in good and working condition.

Whenever I give clean sweeping some thought, I try to decide where I want to sell or donate. Just this week I have decided that I will begin calling some consignment shops in the area and finding out about consigning details. Maybe I can make a dollar or two with some of my things.

I need to also give some thought to where I will donate the things that aren't of consignment quality. I know of several worthy causes that I wouldn't mind donating to. Getting things together and transporting them is something else all together. Ideally, I could find a group who would come here and get it instead of me, who has walking balance problems trying to lug things around.

Alright, I am just rambling on now. Gonna scoot along and get some chores done. I hope that everyone is having a good weekend and Gava I hope that you are doing better today. Take care all.

Ruby

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 29, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7000714

I too wish that someone would come around to pick up my "give aways". At one time Goodwill did this.
Keep on keepin' on, everyone!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

August 29, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7002087

Ruby, thanks for your "ramblings" - they really do help. Thanks for the sympathy and advice - today is a better day. Maybe that is part of what my mom means when she says, "Tomorrow is another day."

The sheltered workshop in our area will come with a truck and take big loads. Maybe you have such a place in your area. Maybe the youth in your church are going to have a yardsale and would come get your stuff then take everything that does not sell to the goodwill. I'd help you haul if I lived closer to you.

I cleaned out my closet again yesterday and got rid of all the shirts and pants that were too small. It's so much fun to try on clothes when I shrink, but horrible to try them on when I grow.

I thought about what it would be like to live in a trailer (small camp trailer) Would I need or want all this stuff? So I'm going to go back into the closet and make some more trips to the thrift store. It's easier for me to keep the junk pared down in some areas than others. I resist kitchen stuff easily. It looked like I'd have to buy a piece of fabric to finish the quilt top - but found a piece in my stash that will be perfect. I have bought only two pieces of fabric since we moved here 2 years ago. And I have had plenty to make all the quilts I wanted. Scarey, isn't it?

Work hard - so you can enjoy immensely.
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

August 31, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #7007569

Late to respond, but Ruby, that situation with your son was ROUGH. I went through something very similar a few years ago and had the long, hard depression as well. But as Flylady says, "You are not behind... jump in where you are!"
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

August 31, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7009466

Thanks, joey, I like that saying about not being behind.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7011608

Wonderful saying by the Flylady. I have a lot of difficulty feeling that I am so far behind that I shouldn't start anything. I will apply that positive thought to my decluttering process tomrrow. Tonight I will likely fall asleep chanting "Jump in where you are" :- )
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7012433

start where you are.
where is that?
Look down. See your feet? There you are!
Begin...set a timer for 20 min and sort, discard, clean...whatever needs to be done -Just from that starting point!.
No leaving that room to take something to another. Have a box for "other rooms"! When the timer goes off, relax.
I was amazed at what I got accomplished in just 20 minutes!
How about some success stories here !!
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #7013923

I told my kids (especially son) when they were young: Just pick up 5 items and put them away, then you can stop. After that I could ask them to pick up 5 more things, and they could handle it. When they were older, I asked them to pick up 10 things. This works for me even now--by the time I have picked up 5 things there is no stopping!

Birdieblue--I like your idea of having a box for "other rooms"--when I take something to another room, I get distracted, and start doing something in that room. One reason I never finish getting rid of the clutter. Sometimes when I have worked hard for a couple of hours, I look around and can't see that I have done anythng! Because even though a dozen little jobs were done, you see NO progress. I promise to not leave the room I am working in from now on until 5 things are done...

Thanks, everyone--it's good to know that there are lots of us living in clutter and wanting out. At least we're not to the point (yet) that we need therapy, or are in danger of being evicted, or the city is ready to fine us for having a cluttered yard, or a judge or fire marshall ruling that our house is unihabitable.

Joey
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7014916

The other room box was deffinately what mad it work for me. My entire house needs work so of course when I'm in the mood to do that I get distracted by going out of the room I am working on into another one.

There are very few people that I let in my front door (or any door) and fortunately (I guess) not many come by. It has deffinately affedted my life both social and emothinal though. It's very sad and I so want to be out of this mess.

Good luck and God speed to all of you in this endeaver.

Hey , I just had a thought ...anybody want to do a 20 minute clean or declutter sesion with me tomorrow and come back on and share our success?? That just might enspire others!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #7023868

Birdie Blue,
I will do a session with you-
Tomorrow.
Tonight I have too much to do.
And I will post
When the 20 minutes is through.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #7024024

OK_ Friday the 4th, 20 minutes :-) lets share ...good or not! And I must mow also!
:-) See ya tomorrow!!
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #7024036

BTW!!!
It would be very exciting if some others set a 20 minute imer and sorted or whatever nonstop til the "ding" , using the "other room box" to avoid geting distracted.
We could have a group happy dance together :-) tomorrow night!! :-) :-)

This message was edited Sep 4, 2009 12:05 AM
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 4, 2009
9:08 AM

Post #7024315

I tried the other room box thing, but the boxes started piling up and looking a whole lot like my collection of "misc. to sort" boxes!
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #7026667

boxes? not a box for each other room...1 box for anything that goes in a different room. I did the same thing when I tried tat the 1st time...1 for BR, 1 for bath, etc...too much decision making. Just one box is easy for me. and then after my 20 min dinger goes off I have accomplished whatever and have a box of things that do not goe in say the kitchen.
I'm bad about leaving my tools where I use them. So that is something that I wil have say a bucket that all tools/garden stuff etc. but otherwise...
lets remember that not a single one of us walked very well or far the first till many repeated tries...and then each time we got a little farthur, stronger, surrer.

WE CAN DO THIS ONE BABY STEP AT A TIME TILL WE GET STEADY ON OUR FEET!!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7027753

Did a warm-up today. Spent about 10 mins. doing a wash of whites and puting things away. Then I got distracted by the siren song of ripening raspberries and spent the rest of my free morning time picking them. =^..^=

Tomorrow I will do more laundry. I am in the middle of an embarrassingly large clothing clear-out and am cleaning all the clothes I have decided to keep, plus the nicest "Go" ones that I hope to consign. Also there is the regular washing to do. And I need every precious drop of water for the garden. Yikes!

I use a happy music CD to time my 20 minutes. I probably shouldn't because I spend time being happy to the beat instead of concentrating. My crowing rooster timer is unreliable and I waste energy and add frustration wondering if it is really working. So, I'll be dancing when the 20 mins is up. Yeah, I'll be dancing alright!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7028683

I decluttered by going through each room with a box searching for only the things that went into one area. Like, the first thing that I did was to gather all of the tools and put them close to where they went in the garage. I had screwdrivers and hammers, picture hanging nails and screws for this and that spread all over my house! I don't know why the pliers were here and there, but I was glad to finally know where to find them! After doing this off and on for a month and getting close to being organized in my overstuffed house, I started working on "spots" like the closet here, a cupboard there and hauling the bag or box to my van immediatly so that I could really see that I had accomplished something. I only worked every other day on decluttering, but I made myself WORK some every other day. For me, keeping to a written schedule helped.

Hey! Isn't someone supposed to be going through their Christmas stuff this summer to get it decluttered and ready for this winter?!!?
I seem to remember somebody had plannned that. Doing it in decent weather is a lot better than trying to organized all that stuff in a frozen attic or garage right before Christmas.

joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

September 7, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7035316

Success stories would be great! I need to get back to de-cluttering for 15 minutes a day. I am SO close to finishing up some old papers that need filing. I have almost two full bags ready for the shredder but I seem to have stalled out.

That said, I am sitting here this morning in my office, decluttered, freshly painted, with a new piece of carpeting- yay! All that's left is to decorate the walls with things that make me smile :D I can't take all the credit, though. My boyfriend did most of the actual work (I did the planning and shopping), prep, etc. The de-cluttering I've been doing in other areas of the house seems to have become contagious!
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7036399

Yeah Joey!! good job!! I wan't a new room too. gonna get a trash bag, an "other room box" and set my microwave timer!!
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7036659

Just an idea you could put your unwanted items on freecycle. The person who wants it comes and picks it up.
You can go to freecycle.org to find your counties freecycle site.

I have gotten rid of many items this way
Good day to all
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #7042971

Joeyramone, you're right! I am happy to hear your success story. I am halfway thru my first de-cluttering project. Admitting I am a hoarder and then sorting thru the hoardees is all I have accomplished thus far. All I have to do now is get the stuff out.
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7043063

I restrict Freecycle to things that (for whatever reason) it seems that Goodwill or Salvation Army isn't appropriate (too fragile, too awkward, too specialized, etc) -- at least in my densely populated areas, I get SO many responses that I have trouble picking the one to give to, etc. Then there are the no-shows, so always keep the e-mail of a second or third taker. DH replaced the TV antenna with a HD one, and I freecycled the old one. The first and second takers thought it was an inside rabbit-ears one! Even though I thought I had described it well, I never said OUTSIDE TV ANTENNA in so many words. #3 knew what a "standard UHF/VHF antenna" is and was happy to take it off our hands.`

But, there are places with no GW/SA in town, that might still have Freecycle available. Also I have made contacts that I can contact directly, like a grade school teacher who will take any paper or craft goods, and I feel so good to give to her, as the school budgets are so slim.

~'spin!~
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7044795

I would be terrably afraid of having strangers come to my house! I live alone and just do not think that is a safe idea for elderly single females to do.
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7045047

Most of the things I have left on the stoop with a name on them and never met the person picking up. The antenna I did open the garage as it was a little large. However, Freecycle as an institution does have a "Take reasonable precautions" in the introductory message.

I freecycled a lot of stuff from my MIL's house, that just didn't "fit" or "suit" anyone in the family, and I did meet those people (loading furniture, etc) and never felt at all at risk. But there are a few bad apples out there, so you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

I like Freecycle and its function (it actually exists to keep things out of the landfills!), but I wanted to make the point that it's actually easier just to drop stuff at one of the thrift/charity stores. Or in a town small enough not to have GW/SA, maybe the fire department or hospital auxillary has rummage sales, or a church.

Also be strictly honest with yourself -- if it's junk, throw it out. Don't give it to someone else to have to throw it out!

~'s!~
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 10, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7048298

Hello to everyone - I was missing in action for a while. We spent last week at rainy and windy VA Beach. There was one nice beach weather day all week, the day before coming home. I enjoyed being away and was able to meet up and visit with a long lost cousin who I have been emailing back and forth since last fall. So not all was lost.

Several of you made reference to something I had written, and I am too lazy to go back and see what I last wrote. Someone mentioned my son story, so I recall writing about it being connected with my trying to fill a void in my life by accumulating things. That void is filled and I am left with a lot of things that need new homes.

I also posted on another thread here that I keep up with and posted some pictures of today's accomplishments. Birdieblue, I am reporting with a good progress report from this morning and share my pictures here also. I took a before and after, even though I didn't completely finish the whole room. I ran out of energy before I was able to finish, but I think with a couple hours in the morning, I will have my room ready to begin housing my many houseplants for the winter. I am really excited because I had looked at the junked up state for too long now.

You all have some great ideas that will serve to be very helpful. I love the encouragement that I see here. Seems that each of us has a little cheerleader gene somewhere in our souls. Go girl, go!!!

I too am a freecycler. Because of no-shows I learned early on to just offer to deliver the items myself. I have been both giver and receiver of some pretty nice things. It always feels really good that I have had something to offer when someone was looking for something in particular. I think that it is a great concept.

Anyway, gonna close. This is the before picture of junk room. No laughing. hahaha

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 10, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7048313

This is after a couple of hours of straightening. I was too tired to try and complete whole room today. I am hoping to get psyched up again tomorrow morning and finish finding new homes for things and once again having a winter houseplant room. I will try to update with new photo when room is ready for its new purpose. And I will then really blow everyone's minds after I bring in the horde of plants and take a picture of them to share.

I hope that some others are having a productive day too. Take care everyone.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 10, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7048461

Good work Ruby! I can actually see the floor! I hate to admit it, but I have more than a couple rooms in this state or worse. Thanks for showing that it can be done!
I like to take my misc. to a local second-hand store that is set up as a community benefit. Don't be real quick to assume that something is junk, either, because to someone else it might be a treasure. For example, I love to find miscellaneous saucers, cracked plates, weird figurines, etc. and then I use them in my mixed media mosaic creations. Dolls without legs, doll heads without bodies, etc..I just love to trade my old junk for new junk!
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #7048853

caitlinsgarden is right,
you never can tell what someone else can do with what you consider junk. Look at the antique light shade I turned into a bird bath with my DH's help!

Thumbnail by TroubleX2

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7049560

CONGRATULATIONS RUBY!!! GOOD JOB
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #7050621

Trouble, what a great idea! I will look for one of those at my next junque jaunt!
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #7052388

caitlinsgarden,
Thanks!
There's allot to be said for the mother that raises her children on hand me down's and Homemade Potatoe Soup in the 60's, it makes her children thrifty and creative. LOL!
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7052518

I am clearing one surface off in each room and then displaying a fresh picked vase of flowers on it as a talisman of hope and inspiration!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 11, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7052530

Hello All - I wanted to report in. I didn't get to spend as much time working on the rooms as I wanted to today. I slept in later than usual and then spent a lot of my morning on the computer. I was able to go in and spend an hour or so preparing the room for the plants that will be brought in soon. I still have a couple of areas that need de-junking and then I will consider it a job well done. It truly feels good to be getting it done. I now have to think of a way to prevent it becoming junked up again.

I love the bird bath, Trouble. Great idea!!! Caitlin, I would love to see some pictures of your art. I have always wanted to do some tile work but never made the time yet.

Probably one of my issues with having so much is that I don't discard things because of cracks or other marrings. I see beauty in most anything made of glass or ceramics. The only collection that I admit to having is elephants, but realized today that I have the beginnings of several other collections too. Those barrister bookcases in the plant room have several shelves of tea pots. Another few of the shelves are holding old magazines that I have always said I will get around to looking at someday. Will that day ever come? I think that I am almost at the point of getting rid of the magazines now. A while back I decided to keep them when I was straightening and organizing at another time. I suppose this is a process and baby steps are often needed.

Okay, that is it for the day. I wish that I had gotten further along, but it just feels good to know that it is finally getting done. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone. (Waving hello to BirdieBlue.) Take care and have a wonderful weekend all.

Ruby

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 11, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7052541

Cross posted with you Caitlin, but had to tell you that is a wonderful idea. We cannot have both clutter and beauty competing against one another. Make every room worthy of the beautiful flowers. Now that I have finally started this project, I feel so good about it. Just starting is the hard part for me usually. I tend to put things off and then worry and fret and then realize that all the negative emotions are getting me no where at all. Good luck with soon finding the motivation and inspiration to get started. I will cheer lead for you, if you'd like me to.

Ruby
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7053203

Ruby - I also collect elephants, with their trunks up (but don't turn away a gift if trunk is down)
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #7054327

It is fun to be away for a while to come back and read all the postings. I was a bit deflated as my clothing clear-out project had to be postponed. For some strange reason, I decided I had better get up on the roof to inspect the plumbing vent pipes. Then I had an overwhelming urge to clean them. It's a long story, but it took 3 days of spare time. Then the weather turned hot again (101 today) and I needed to use the water for the garden and postpone the clothes washing. So Sunday I will be back to my clothing mounds in the living room. I am hoping to make a few bucks for myself and the wonderful lady who has the consignment shop. The rest I will donate, and I will try to Freecycle what is left as rags or craft fabric. That's the plan. Thank you all for the discussion about which charities you choose to bless with your castaways. I have so much to donate, I am sure I will be asked to spread the wealth around. That is how it was, before the economy stalled. Maybe now they will be happier to get lots of items.

I think I blew it on the 20 minute clean up. I let myself be distracted by getting up on the roof and cleaning the vents.
I am not in control of my behavior yet. I hope this posting about it will help me to get a grip. Get a grip on myself that is, and let go of the grip I have on the clothes! ; - )
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
7:19 AM

Post #7054375

Almost forgot- Caitlinsgarden, after I cleaned up the mess in my bathroom (long story, go to the Plumbing forum if you want to read all about it) I had the idea to put a little bouquet of mini pink roses on the counter. Not for company, just for the room itself (it had been through a trauma). And you were doing the same sort of thing! I think it is a fabulous idea! Soon my flowers will all be gone. Better enjoy them now. Is that the menopause talking?
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 12, 2009
11:22 AM

Post #7054541

There are always flowers, even after menopause! In fact, there is more time than ever to plant them, weed them and enjoy them.
Magazines: WE save magazines! May I suggest sterlite containers that stack up in a corner somewhere? (Like the basement!) After the pile gets a little too high, I like to go through my mags and tear out all of the pages I want to save and put them in a sterlite of their own, and throw out the rest of the magazine. Then I get a large sketchbook of blank paper and I have a fun project for winter and down days; cutting and pasting into my dream books. I especially like to combine pictures of things I like together, as inspiration for my own gardens and artwork.

You can see my artwork at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitlinsgarden/
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #7054614

caitlinsgarden,
You are soooo talented, my mosaic attempts look like kindergarden works compared to yours. Beautiful work!
April
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 12, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7054766

Thank you Trouble, one thing I have learned over many years is not to compare my work to others work. It can be discouraging. You have to begin where you are with your own uniqueness and passion.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #7061864

Today I was a good girl. I spent most of the day washing the best of my hoarded clothes so they can be consigned. I really hope they will sell, so I will be encouraged to "rinse and repeat" until they are all gone. O, Happy Day!

CG, I do the same with mags. I recycle the ones I have cut up. If untouched, I donate them to the free box at the library. Except for the New Yorkers stashed under the dresser.

Thanks for the link to your site. I will peek when I have more time ( I have dial-up ).
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

September 14, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #7062290

Oh, if only I could get my boyfriend to get rid of his 3+ foot high stack of New Yorkers!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 16, 2009
8:03 AM

Post #7069528

Oh my goodness Caitlin, I am in awe. What a wonderful tour of your work, mosiac and garden wise. I am so glad I asked you to share. I have found over the three or so years that I have been chatting on Dave's that many of the gardeners are also artists of some sort. The two must be connected somehow. Both are objects of beauty which bring so much joy. I have no art training but have always wanted to do something creative. I am going to have to make it a priority if I am ever to start doing anything that will bring me joy. Thank you so much for sharing your work with us.

I love the Obllama. Cute!!! Who in the world thought of that? hahaa

No reports of making any progress clutter wise. I have been making some calls to possible charities where I will donate to find out the hours and policies for donations. Huckleberry, I too called a local consignment shop to find out their policies for selling. I am to go next Friday to meet with staff and can bring 20 items with me. My main clutter is not clothing, but household articles. Glad that you are coming along with your process of getting some things sold. The extra money will be good to have.

There is not really too much left inside of my home that needs to be gone. My area of disrepair is my shed which over the five years we have lived here has become more and more packed. The way it stands, I couldn't find anything if I really needed it. I hope to get started out there next week maybe. I will report in from time to time.

BirdieBlue, I too have some elephants with their trunks down. I just love them so much that I can't turn them away just because their trunks are not up. Trouble, I agree that Caitlin's work is very professional looking. I love it. Joey, I too have stacks of magazines almost 3 foot tall. Oh well, what can I say?

I hope that everyone is having a decent week. I for one am so happy that the temperatures are lower these days. Sure makes a difference in wanting to do any sort of physical work. Take good care until we meet again.

Ruby

ladyfiresign
Richmond B.C.
Canada

September 16, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #7069536

Caitlin...first, ex-Prairie du Chiener here...how small the world!

I recently read something in a magazine that made me really take notice re: de-cluttering. It said "It's hard to put things away if there is no 'away' in which to put them." That seemed to be the problem I had here. Our house is big for 2 people but it was built in the mid-70's and had very little actual storage space but a lot of rooms that just seemed to collect clutter without any help from us (LOL). After much bemoaning of the messiness of our house my DH is slowly but surely starting to add storage in the form of built-in cabinets and shelving. Lo and behold, we have an "away" now in the laundry room in the form of shelves above the washer/dryer and small freezer. He also built a cabinet the same height as the dryer which serves as additional storage and doubles with the dryer surface for folding. It's amazing how just that little bit helped in that one room. There are actual places for detergents, fabric softeners, irons, and freshly canned jams and tomatoes. It's no 'House Beautiful' laundry room but at last it is a FUNCTIONAL laundry room! I am like a kid in a candy store now...being the "concept" person and having the good fortune of having a DH who can bring those ideas to life.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #7076691

Ladyfiresign, I'm happy to meet you. You have some excellent ideas to make homes for items so they can be organized. I am learning how to organize. I never gave much thought to it before, just crammed things in any place that made some sense. I am removing things now and looking at the empty space and then saying, "Okay, what should go back in?"

Joeyramone, you have my sympathy. I love to look at the cartoons in the New Yorker, especially the ones I have forgotten about and are new again. Gives me a buzz. I intend to part with them when I am done with the clothing.

Caitlinsgarden, I loved your site. I especially liked " Jardin des anciennes". I enjoy playing with the color saturation feature also, especially with scenes of the ocean and sky.

I have some success to boast of. I consigned a few things and donated the remainder to the Goodwill store. Took a few things to the Senior Center today. So that is 2 large garbage bags down and about 20 to go.
I had a moment after I left the consignment shop where I was going to take all the rejects home to comfort them. But I toughened up and drove into the Goodwill and handed the bags over to them. I am happy and in the mood to continue the process. whoo hoo!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 18, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #7076780

Bravo, bravo!!!! Way to go Huckleberry!!! I am thrilled to hear your news. Hopefully it won't be too very long before I am able to come in with the same sort of report. For some reason I don't have much of problem ridding myself of clothing. It is room decor, especially glass items that I tend to hold on to, even when I don't have proper space to display them.

Yes Ladyfiresign, great news about having your husband build storage for you. It sounds as though with him doing this it is going to take a lot of the pressure off of you to find hiding spaces for your things. I live in a very small house and every nook and cranny is being used.

I realized yesterday that I am now racing against the clock and need to get a move on with finishing straightening my plant room. It is getting chilly here each night and my house plants should be coming indoors pretty soon. I am hoping to devote a bit of time this morning to finishing up the organization of that room so that I can begin bringing the plants inside for the winter months. Somehow this week has gotten away from me and I haven't accomplished much of anything.

Again Huckleberry, I loved hearing your success report. Keep up the good work.

Ruby
ladyfiresign
Richmond B.C.
Canada

September 18, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7077551

Ruby,
I sort of laughed when I read your comments about hiding things since we really don't have a lot of things that qualify as "things". The problem seems to be more of just not having places to put things like light bulbs or toilet paper or wrapping paper. I guess the nicest thing about my DH though is that he's darn thrifty...builds stuff out of a lot of salvaged materials such as old cedar fences people are replacing or building materials from remodel jobs around the area. Costs us nothing but carrying it home and keeps stuff out of the landfill, too.
Good luck with your plant room!
Cin
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 20, 2009
9:38 AM

Post #7083412

Great that your hubby is so thrifty Cin. That helps matters a lot. Yes, if a person were to come to my house and begin opening doors, they would see that I hide a lot of things. HaHa I also display a lot of things too and wonder how bare walls would look in here. Years back I had an interest in Feng Shui and could never get past the first requirement for incorporating it in to my decor...first trick was to clear space of all clutter and what not sort of things. I enjoy looking at my things too much to do that. My decorating style is more on a course of Funky Shui. hahaha I hope that everyone will enjoy their last day of the weekend. Take care all.
dsa2591
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7105344

A rule I used to use with my children when they balked about cleaning their rooms was "Pick up one thing and put it where it belongs, then do it again and again until everything is where it belongs, even if that's the garbage". That way, you can do it one piece at a time, and it doesn't seem like such a huge task.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 14, 2009
8:17 AM

Post #7167166

Interesting concept dsa. Hmmmmm...wonder if I could somehow trick myself in to doing something along these lines? I am probably at almost three months of working on setting up two of our bedrooms in to new purpose rooms. The one that is now a guest room served until this past July as my teenage sons room before he moved out to a place of his own.

The other room is my houseplant room which is about 95% complete. Hubby is hopefully going to hang two grow lights for me today. I have a little end table with a few knick knacks on it that need to find new homes and then I will consider that room as finished for now.

It has been quite a process with lots of starts and stops. Several days or close to a week will sometimes slip by and I don't do anything in either room. I brought the houseplants in from outside about two weeks ago because the temps at night are sometimes fairly low. There are still some plants which are not positioned where I want them but will be as soon as I can get the lights hung.

I have been really surprised at the amount of growth some of the plants made over the summer months. There are several of the larger ones which must have grown a foot or so while loving the outdoors. I hope that I can sustain all of them during the cold months.

I hope that all readers are having some successes in getting their de-cluttering projects done. Over all, I have been happy with my progress on my two rooms. Take care and happy de-cluttering to all.

Ruby
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 14, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #7167471

Ruby, thank you for your comments on my artwork. At least I have something to show for a messy house! I brought in a mosaic I have been working on for the last few days and set it on the fridge thinking, well, there is my filthy kitchen floor and mountain of dirty dishes. I guess the problem is that the artwork gives me so much more satisfaction than a clean house! But, enough is enough, today I am under house arrest...

Huckleberry, I like "Jardin..." a lot, also! It started with the bone I found in my garden that suggested a face to me.

ladyfiresign, I like the idea of making a "HOME" for everything, then you know where to put it. Once I played with the idea of making a "shoe barn" as a place to put the shoes that always clutter up the entry way. Adding some artistic object to be used as storage space.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #7170981

Whatever you do will be wonderful!
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #7179015

Great thread! When I have been 'stuck' I have, in the past, asked a sister or good friend, to help me. Trying to explain to someone else why an item is being saved can be hilarious.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2009
10:33 AM

Post #7202898

I hear that Anastatia - I have finally hooked up through Freecycle, a group who is hoping to get yard sale items for their group's fund raising activities. They will be coming to my house on Tuesday, November 10 to pick the items that I am donating to them. Between now and then I am planning to have my cleaning lady work a few extra days to help me get things together to donate. I do better when I have someone with me to help keep me focused.

I have a shed and an attic that I need to go through and get rid of the excess clutter I have sitting around, serving no good purpose. I have done this sort of thing on numerous occasions in the past and am wondering what it is inside of me that makes me repeat the process every few years. Collecting and holding on to things must have served some purpose in the past, or I wouldn't have continued to do it. I am wondering how much being raised by Depression era parents have to do with it. "I might need that someday kind of thinking" that my parents had anyway.

Good to see folks posting here. I find the whole topic of "too much" very interesting and am always wanting to hear tips of how to change my thinking around. Have a good weekend and stay healthy everyone.

Ruby

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7203786

My husband says, when we are cleaning garage, basement etc together that I suffer from "The Depression (as in 1930's)syndrome. I was not even a twinkle in someone's eye @ that time!!!! And sometimes he says it is a symptom of 'greed' which sends me reeling and tossing stuff OUT.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 26, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #7209163

Gosh, that is a new word that I hadn't thought of connecting with hoarding and collecting...greed. I will have to give it some thought.

Ruby
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

October 27, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7212105

Anastatia - I think that your husband is smarter than I would like to admit. I can remember the feeling of buying the rest of the bolt of fabric and thinking that nobody else could have that beautiful fabric - it was mine - all mine!

Yes, there are lots of pictures, wall art, and things that I have collected in a spirit of greed. Thanks for reminding me.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7223085

Tomorrow I will officially begin de-cluttering my outdoor shed. Right now there is hardly a path to walk through it. I have someone coming who will help me with getting rid of things. I am packing away give aways for a group that is doing some fundraising and are taking my things to sell at a yard sale. They will be here on November 10 to get the items. I am hoping that I will be ruthless in terms of being able to let go of things. I am a bit nervous because I know that I might want to hold on to too many things.

Wish me luck with this project please.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 30, 2009
10:33 AM

Post #7223102

Good luck, Ruby. When in doubt, read your own posts, because they seem to sum up why a lot of us hoard as we do. Even if you relinquish items to which you have an emotional attachment, you will still have the memories.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #7223195

Oh my gosh Margaret!!!!! You are giving me a dose of my own medicine. I cannot recall which day this week that this happened, but one day the "listening to what we are saying" about any particular issue is where the truth is to be found, was what I was telling others regarding some of their issues. Yep, you have an excellent idea for going back and reading all that I have written regarding this over the past few months. I know that it has been a desire of mine to get this done, but as I said in another thread, I am losing some faith in myself and my ability to get rid of things. I need to get back some of the gung ho excitement that I had a while back. So, thank you sooooo much for getting me turned around some. I hadn't thought to apply the principle in this case, but do plan to heed what I find out about myself.

Wish me luck everyone please.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7255895

Ruby, I wish you all the luck that I can summon. I hope you will get your mojo back. I suffer from the same distress in feeling that I am incapable of freeing myself from the quicksand of hoarding. Well, I'm throwing a branch over to you to help pull you out. We must work together on this.
Today I have an appt. with the consignment shop. I hope it will be encouraging and not discouraging. I have a load of winter clothes. The cold and fog has arrived in our valley, and hopefully people will be in to buy coats and sweaters. I get a good feeling from this, as if I am a provider.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 9, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7256672

Dang!!!!! Just lost about four paragraphs full. I hate it when it happens here. Too bad that the program doesn't do a bit better about this particular problem. Anyway...I went back and read what I posted on October 30 and see that I was sort of bummed out that day.

I am now very pleased to announce that my husband John and myself have spent two different mornings cleaning out our utility shed. It was so full and disorganized that we had problems walking through it and forget finding anything that you needed. We could probably make at least one more trip out and maybe two and then we will be able to brag of a job well done. I am too excited about it to wait to share with you all. I can live with the condition that it is in now, but while we are on a roll, we may as well continue to gather things to donate. While I was at it this morning, I took a magic marker out with me and I labeled the things that are in totes. That too is a step in the right direction.

Huckleberry, thank you for the well wishes. I hope that you too will be able to continue on with your ridding yourself of some excesses. I am convinced that having a group here who is rooting for me, is making this major undertaking a bit easeir to swallow.

Well, I am sitting here about to fall asleep, so I will close for now. I hope that everyone will have a good week coming up. Take care and please stay well.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
6:51 AM

Post #7266114

Happy Days! The consignment shop took nearly everything I hauled in. Plus I had $45.00 in credit to use in the shop. I "bought" a few things toward the improved wardrobe I have promised myself. AND I found another "Mom and Pop" thrift store that accepts trades of less quality than the consignment shop, for the items that are rejected. I think I am gettin' it all together. Even the fortune in my cookie was in support of me, "You will obtain your goal if you maintain your course". Zippity do-dah!

Ruby, how did your date go with the fund-raisers? You sound like the wind is finally in your sails. Good for you! I hope the remnants of Hurricane Ida do not rain on your parade.

Gava, thanks for the admission of greed. I have to consider how much of my behavior is driven by greed. I suspect I have an inner glutton. OK, I know I have an inner glutton! If greed is the absence of a desire to share, then I have that sometimes. I bought a pair of those big-eyed "Keene" prints for my stepdaughter. I was thrilled for her because I am pretty sure she will love them. Then I had evil thoughts about keeping them here, because they are so interesting. Don't worry, I will give them to her. Then again...

Hello, MargaretK, all the way from Perth. Wow! I am thrilled to make your aquaintance.

Anastatia, you bring up some great points. I will think of you and your husband as I continue to declutter. Giggling over my "treasures". I suppose greed is the only thing strong enough to transform 5 buckets of broken glass into "keepers'.
Keep up the good fight, everyone!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 12, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #7266284

Thanks for the welcome, huckleberry. I have this, and other threads on the clean and clutter free forum in my "watched" list. I always view, but don't often post. Hoarding must be a universal thing. I am becoming more disciplined, but it really goes against the grain.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 14, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7272931

Awww Huckleberry, what an upbeat message. You are a good cheerleader and motivator. Yes, the yard sale folks came for one load and planned to come back for what wouldn't fit in the tuck, but we had rain the next three days and they didn't get here. So...I have some items on my porch that are now good and wet, waiting for our attention. After they dry out a bit, I will see about donating to one of two or three places that I have given to before.

Your consignment deal sounds good. Really great that you found another shop that will buy the items of lesser quality. Wonderful. Back many years ago when I was working outside of the home and had to maintain a wardrobe and while having and dressing children, I used consignment shops for myself and the children, to both buy and sell. I am not as organized as I once was though.

I thought about consigning some of the better pieces of home decor that I no longer want, but missed the appointment that I had set up a month or so back. Must not have been to hip on the whole deal after all.

I am happy with the progress that was made in both of the bedrooms and in the shed, though there is still work to be done. It is not a done deal by any means, I just need a break from it and will come back full force maybe after the holidays.

Huckleberry, thank you for pointing out that we have a new poster with us... ... hello Margaret. I understand you saying that the hoarding goes against the grain. My belly does a little flip flop to many of the items I go thorough while getting together to give away. As someone pointed out to me recently, most everything that I am holding on to could be replaced very easily and without too much cost, so I can't use the excuse that I might need it one day. If I do happen to need it, I can go and buy it when the time comes.

I hope that everyone will enjoy their weekend. Stay well everyone.

Ruby
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

November 19, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #7289809

Mornin' folks! I'm home for a few days and have taken the time to "choose contentment." Two recent incidents make me need to say that. #1 Our house has not sold yet. It's beautifully staged, cleaned up, and in perfect running condition. The "make-do" electric and plumbing jobs that we did have now been re-done by professionals and will pass inspection. There is nothing I can do about selling it except keeping it looking like a model home now. The realtors came and visited yesterday; everyone loved it and said it's priced realistically. We refuse to buy another one until this one is sold. So I might as well enjoy living in a clean and decluttered home, enjoy trips to the studio, finish some of the quilts I've started, and learn to be content.

#2. Yesterday I was at Walmart to get a quilt batting and I heard a lady say, "We might as well get two of those things so we'll have it." That's just exactly how I've always done it. And now I get to pack two and three of everything when the time comes to move. I can definitely see the greed in my heart in that statement. Especially in my craft room/stash. I was so thrilled to find Pendleton wool suits to cut up for projects. Now I see that I'm hoarding wool.

Contentment is a hard lesson for me to learn. Maybe it's part of my childhood, we didn't know we were poor, but we didn't have lots of material goods. And I know that coveting is the opposite of being content. So this is a good time for me to learn. Sometimes I think I'm cured of the coveteousness, then it slaps me up side the head again. We live like kings in comparison to most of the people in the world. And yet I forget to be grateful for the blessings I have and I want more.

Got to go to the studio for class today. I'll try to post the address where you can look at my clean house.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

November 19, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7289821

look at these photos. It didn't look like this when I started to declutter.
http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/PropertyListing?action=detail&ComColdwellbankerDataProperty_id=86800961&page=property&brand=CB
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7290426

Isn't it a ♥blessing♥ to live in a decluttered home?! So calming and easy to keep up...
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

November 19, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7290794

YEP!!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
7:07 AM

Post #7292048

Gava, I can't look up your home now because my dial-up is too slow, but I'll look later.

You made me think of something I have been thinking of for a while now. My cat. He is the happiest, most contented being I know. All he "possesses" is his lovely fur coat. It is all he requires. I want to be more like him. I want to be free of this terrible urge I have to clothe myself with so many things. Truth is, I always wear as little as possible. So why do I have so many things to choose from???
I am still getting rid of clothing, but I am also adding things that are supposedly more suitable.
You also mention Pendleton woollens. AAAAAARRRRGGGG! I have 2 bags full of the lovliest, most moth-eaten Pendletons you can imagine. They could be yours if you could pry them from my clutches!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2009
11:22 AM

Post #7292183

Gava, you have done some excellent work in staging your home. Everything is really lovely. Thank you for posting the pictures. They are very inspirational. Gosh, what insight has come along with the decluttering process you have been doing. I agree that we are a greedy society with our more, more, more attitudes.

I have also always enjoyed when Juneybug shared about her successes too. It gives me hope for some day...

Huckleberry, it sounds as though you are also arriving at a very wise place as you take the steps to control over abundance in your life.

I hope that everyone will have a good weekend. Take good care and be well.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #7295474

Gava, the link took me to your site very quickly. Well done!
Your home is lovely and well priced. Hope it sells easily!

Just saw a film about "The Notorious Bettie Page", pin-up girl of the early 1950's. In it, she says nudity is not the sin, the clothes came to Adam and Eve after they had sinned.
Now I have that to consider. What "sin" is my pile of clothing covering???
I was a tomboy, then I developed into a young woman against my will. Most of the clothing I rarely wear is pretty girly. My usual uniform is a plain top and jeans. I think I am hitting upon the reason for my confused state of dressing myself. Comfort and camoflage vs style. Comfort and not drawing too much attention to myself vs uncomfortable but interesting wild-child outfits. I can hardly wait til I finally mature enough to want to wear those Eileen Fisher kind of comfortable AND flattering outfits. Either that or a leopard Snuggie! =^..^=
Any advice for me?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #7295556

Ear Rings and good shoes. They make everything look better! I live in that same uniform and can pull it off in all kinds of places by just changing shoes and wearing earrings.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7304829

Shoes. I am taller than my DH, and he is shrinking. I got rid of all heels higher than 1" (except for 3 pair of higher ones that are too beautiful to part with yet).
I have lots of costume jewelry. I am out of the habit of wearing it. I am going to do as you suggest. Thanks!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7304883

My DH is shrinking too. After watching Julie & Julia (Great! movie, BTW), I may just wear heels whenever again. I don't think that it would damage his ego to have a taller wife.

I have a couple of suit jackets (a gey one and a black one) that I throw on with jeans & I am suddenly "posh"!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #7304929

I noticed that in the movie too (kinda hard not to). DH is a good sport, but I don't like to rub it in that I'm the taller one. Mother would say I am saving those heels for my Merry Widowhood. I just like to look at them. It's a wierd world.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 24, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #7305294

I can just see all of us lovely ladies all decked out with great jewelry and shoes that go with our jeans, simple top and a chic blazer set in for good form. Juney, I love your idea for earrings and shoes too. I used to always wear a long necklace of some sort too and just realized that I no longer do that. Gonna have to display necklaces near where I dress so that I begiin doing that again. I have an over abundance of jewelry for sure and it is a shame that I no longer wear any of it much.

Huckleberry, thank you for sharing your insight on clothes fever. Very interesting!!!

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7794997

Huckleberry, you got rid of 5 buckets of broken glass!?! Thats one of the things I hoard for my mosaic work! I haven't made any progress on my decluttering after all these months since last posting. But we have accumulated yet more. DH's family home is being cleared out after a long-lived family of packrats. He is bringing home boxes of his fathers old school papers. His father recently died at 94...His mother never threw anything away and this is NOT an exaggeration. I think I have terminal clutterophilia, and I am feeling overwhelmed and discouraged that I will ever be able to change even in the ways that I want to. I go out to weed the garden just to get out of the house.
Need a sob sister if I can't get a housekeeper!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 15, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7795385

Awwwwww Catilin...join the club honey. I haven't been to Dave's Garden for many, many months until the last week or so. I too seem to have some of issue with ever hoping to get things looking a bit more sparse and more organized than they are currently. I just have so many things that I love and display. I also have boxes packed full of more glassware types of things that I love too dearly to get rid of but just don't have display space for.

In the past six or so years I found myself in the same shoes you are now finding yourself in. It first began in 2005 I think when we moved in to a house that was exactly half the size of our previous one. Since moving back, we have had both sons move in temporarily and two different times, though both are out now.

Since 2005 we have become inheritors of both of our childhood homes partial contents. My parents died and thankfully there were seven of us who divided things up. Not too much long after that my husband John's parents closed their home place and moved to a retirement community. There were five siblings to divide those contents.

To say the least, we have found ourselves as owners of many things we hadn't counted on having before moving here. I have a shed, a storage greenhouse, an attic, two spare bedrooms, a screened in porch and each and every one of them are cluttered and disorganized. I do better some times than at others. If I were to guess I would most likely say that I am more bothered by the chaotic state in the winter months when I can't get outside and enjoy the open spaces. In warm months I don't usually give much thought to it.

I hope that you will be able to find some tactic for handling all that is coming in to your house at the moment. Let's hope that you husband is willing to let go of the sorts of things that are really useless to anyone at this point such as paperwork and such. Do take a quick look through the papers and things make sure that nothing valuable is being thrown out. My mother had Alzheimers and was famous for losing money. She had stuck it in telephone books and all sorts of things.

I will be your sob sister if you'd like, I will try to check my email more often in the next little bit. Maybe this will start some dialogue with others and some new hints and tips will be shared and some of us at least will get ahead of our messes. Wish I were sending better news to you.

Ruby

gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

May 15, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7795542

Welcome, back, Ruby. I'm still reading, but not posting much. We have been working like little beavers on the yard for the past several weeks. Last week I slept in a motel room and saw a TV show about hoarders. The psychologist said that if there isn't any intervention, things will get worse and worse. And the longer a mess goes on, the less likelyhood that there will be any change.

Having said all that - I will add this, "Do not beat yourself up". You did a whole lot of work previously, made some progress, and can do it again. It's okay if you "slipped off the wagon" because you can start over again and be a little wiser than you were the last time.

I'm still a clutterer at heart, and continue to find pocket of messes and too much stuff. There are 10 tubes of hair stuff under the sink and a bin of stuff I might need when I travel. I might never be CURED, but my house is cleaner than it used to be.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #7796683

Yes, Ruby I can relate...Right now my goal is to declutter the rooms that we use every day. We may build an addition to the garage (my studio - also full of my collections and more...) for storage. I don't think I will ever quit collecting, but I would like a small circle of serenity. Thanks for being there you guys!
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7797509

Currently I have an uncle visiting. He comes every year to visit. I have never been in his home. He is a hoarder. I feel like my house is an awful mess. He comes here and says how clean and organized mine is. Yesterday we went out to lunch. He brought home his styrofoam cup of ice and straw and immediately put it in the fridge (with the other two cups of beverages that have two inches left). He has saved the newspaper everyday in a pile in the room he is staying in. He has brought the airline magazines with him even though he read them on the plane. The fridge is full of one or two little bite packages wrapped in saran wrap left over from meals. It goes on and on.

It has really been eye opening. He gets worse each year. He is here for ten more days. I will NOT be like this as I age. It starts today and I can tell you I am keep this from happening to me. His visit has come at a good time for me.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 16, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7798339

Thanks for the welcome back. Gosh Teri, that is really interesting about your uncle. Yes, you sound determined to not become like that and as I give the whole clutter deal some thought, I realize that determination is a large factor in whether a person is successful in decluttering. I know some of the challenges in my life were never addressed until I was backed way back in a corner with no place to turn before I became willing to begin taking the steps necessary in order to get me out of predicaments.

I believe since the living spaces of my house are kept clean and organized for the most part, it is easy to "forget" the other spaces that I don't have to see daily. I suppose if I want to be really honest about the whole deal, I just haven't found a good enough reason so far to make any big changes.

Gava, thanks for pointing out that we shouldn't "beat ourselves up" over this. I have watched Hoarders and wouldn't classify myself any where near the problems that some of those folks have. In fact, my current husband told me he was nervous about sitting on my furniture the first time he came to visit because every thing was so neat. There is another Dave's member who sometimes comes here and stays overnight and she has begun calling me OCD for Obessive Compulsive Disorder due to my always straightening something or wiping something down. I am not to that extreme either, I just don't like looking at messes.

So Caitlin, good luck and being able to add storage space is ideal when you do enjoy collecting and your collections. Thanks for bringing up the subject again because attacking my spare bedroom closets is probably going to be a project I get involved in when the weather turns too hot to be outside during the day.

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7799813

I suppose "collecting" (I like that word better than "hoarding"!) is an addiction. And probably as hard to conquer as other addictions. I think I need to have a chat with DH and decide just how we are going to manage our collections. For example: where do we draw the line - 1 foot paths through all the rooms and piles no higher than 4 feet? No clutter in any of the live-in rooms, all clutter assigned to X number of storage areas? Keep adding on rooms until you run out of money? I suppose the rational compromise would be to say : ok this room and that space is your clutter spot and these are mine, and when you run out of space in your clutter areas you get rid of some of the stuff.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 17, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7799891

Yes Caitlin, I have always heard that realizing/admitting a person has an issue/problem is the first step in doing something about it. If it weren't bothering you, there would be no need for change. You just mentioned good options. I believe when you decide which route to go with it, you will begin feeling better about it all.

I was thinking last night while reading this thread that within a month my younger son who moved out in to his own place last year and set up housekeeping will be moving out the end of June. I have a feeling that he will end up rooming with someone and won't be in need of most of the furnishings and other things he has in his apartment now. So...to me that means that I am going to most likely have to find space in my shed to store his stuff until he makes another stab at being on his own and using his own things.

It is going to take either another really big disposal of things I have in there now, or some very good organizational skills by someone here. Hopefully it won't be as much as I am thinking it will be. His main possessions are clothes and shoes and hopefully he will take all of them where he ends up living.

Anyway, as time slips by the next month or so, I am sure that I will need to come in here and have a place to write out my toughts on the subject and try to come up with a plan. Everyone here is so kind and full of good ideas on handling these sorts of issues. I am really glad to have you gals available.

Have a great week everyone. Ours has started out very wet. Supposed to rain all day here in Central Virginia. We have already been dry, so I can't complain, we really need this rain. Take care all.

Ruby

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7801367

Ruby, Your son's situation has a simple solution: rent a storage space for his stuff until he needs it again.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 20, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7809981

You know what? I hadn't even thought of that. Will have to call around for some prices. Thanks for mentioning this. Will sure save me some work trying to organize and make room for things. I will let you all know what happens.

I hope that everyone is having a good week. We have had lots of rain and I am trying to wait for things to dry out a bit and then I have some definite weeding that needs to be done in my front bed. Some of the weeds towards the back of bed are nearing six inches. I hate a weed!!!

I was able to rid myself of some excesses last evening. An old friend came over and she and her husband took home a lot of extra plants that we have. Many of our plants are getting too crowded so their offering to take some of them off our hands is a good thing. I like to share my plants with people that I know will take care of them.

Certainly I don't think of my plants as clutter but they do fall into a category of having too much of a good thing. Maybe if I can wrap my pea brain about the idea of some of the other things I have and will never use or enjoy again - I will be willing to give things up more freely. Hmmmmm...interesting though.

Anyway - hope that everyone is having a good and productive week. You all are my inspiration.

Ruby
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7810474

I forwarded my magazine subscriptions to a local non-profit today. I don't need them until I get my act together. They take space & time that I could do something else. I will read them at the library if I want to.

Ruby- Do you have anyone you could barter some of your plants with and have them weed? Just a thought. I gave my yard man some bushes once & he was happy to do a bunch of trimming for free.
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

May 20, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7811121

Ruby, how about you find a storage shed for your son and let him pay for it? Just think of that - a responsible young man who can take care of himself. It's hard to let our kids do things. I'm still sending money to my son who is going to be starting his last year of medical school. We have paid tuition, rent, food etc. for 8 years and just given them grocery money for the past 3 years. I told my husband this morning that when he graduates I'm going to go back to school, and he's going to have to send some money for tuition, for spending, and groceries. And then he'll have to help us with airline tickets and motel rooms.

So I guess it's not so easy to get our kids physically or financially launched from the nest.
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7817723

:) I made almost $200 today!!! I sent most of the remaining garage sale left overs to the Goodwill. I sent it away in a friend's car so I wouldn't be tempted to keep any of it. I did buy a few things for my kids and I kept things like a toaster oven that I used twice. Other than that I didn't look back!!! Good stuff!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 24, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7822367

Teri -
What a great idea for your magazines. I too have a magazine addiction and since the arrival of the Internet in to my life I hardly ever even look at them any more. I also like your idea of bartering weeding chores with someone for plants - that is a great idea. Will give it some thought.

I hear you gava - yep certainly agreed that letting go of our babes is touch at times. On a doctor's income your son should be able to treat you to some really nice goodies in the future. I believe you have made a very good investment.

Good going on the two hundred dollars you made Teri. I didn't realize you were having a sale. Really glad it went well for you though and that you were able to send the left overs on to Goodwill and new homes. Job well done my friend.

It being Monday I am not sure what the upcoming week will bring. I do know that soon I will be trying to do something about the condition of the spare bedroom where most of my houseplants spent the winter. I will be taking the plants to the screen porch any day now and that will give me the opportunity to try and do a better job about organizing the closet.

I spent a few hours on Saturday and again on Sunday straightening and cleaning my screen porch which looked pretty awful after months of not doing much to keep it looking good. I will be taking my houseplants out soon and I didn't want to put them in a big mess. I pretty much hand washed every item on the porch due to everything being covered with pollen and dust. Dirty work for sure...but very satisfying to get it completed.

I am running a bit behind this morning because I have had a hard time waking up completely. Here is hoping that everyone has a good and very productive week. Take care all.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 3, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7855816

Just thought I would drop in and say that being clean and clutter free has taken a back seat for now while I am tending to my gardens. First things first.

I am happy to report that the major thorn in my side - my plant room - is nearly empty of plants due to sending them to the screened in porch to live for the summer. So that means I have sufficient time to once again tackle things in there. This go round I desperately need to come up with a better system than I have been using. I am tired of knowing that something I need to find is in the blasted closet - somewhere - but can't locate it unless I empty the whole closet out.

I think the first thing I will do is to take the sealed tight bins out to storage shed where hopefully the mice won't get inside of them. They shouldn't because of a really tight seal on these. I also have a few bins that are not sealed tight and are opaque so I can get an idea of what is in them. I will leave those inside and keep in the closet. Some of the things are items I am just not ready to dispose of it. I am not sick and tired of them yet so will have to accomodate them somehow.

I have two large glass front bookcases in that room which are holding mainly books and some magazines that I haven't wanted to part with yet. The time may have come for the magazines to go though. I am never going to read them. It is much too easy to get on line and research whatever I happen to be interested in at the time.

Okay - that is two things to get me started. They should be so hard to do - getting started will be issue though. I suppose I should write it on my to do list and then I will feel obligated to get to at some point.

I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying themselves. Is everyone involved with their gardening or has anyone done anything recently in regards to their clutter issues? Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Ruby
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 3, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7855863

Yes, clutter yields to gardening yet again! But I was able to snag youngest son into hauling some basement trash to the dumpster. Now there is a little more room for the opaque rubbermaids I am using for basement storage, mainly things like years worth of science mags and other mags that DH will never part with. We all have our personalities and glitches to work around, don't we? I agree that the clear sterlites are good for close at hand things that you want to be able to find. I use some for books, and I have the titles facing out so I can see where a certain book is before digging. It is always a good feeling to make a little progress, but we have to keep our priorities straight, and this time of year enjoying the garden (even dividing and weeding) are high on my list!
Keep at it Ruby, we can't give up!
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 3, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7857208

I'm ready to get back into the decluttering, too. We have been working in the yard and I have spent days and days shoveling gravel. The outdoor work is almost finished, atleast we can sit back and drink iced tea in the evening instead of having to work till it's dark.

I have resisted starting to work more on my craft stuff. I hate the closet and the way it's organized. So I promised my husband that if he will put shelves in there for me, I'll take all the stuff out of the room and sort it before putting it back. I have not painted tole projects for years, and finally gave away the tole paints. There is more stuff like that. I'll take a photo before I start, so I can keep track of this elephant. I can work on it during the day, and work on the yard while my DH is home in the evenings.

Writing the plan down will help. Haven't you found that helps, everyone?
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7857900

Lists are the only way. I like to keep one huge list with all kinds of projects. It is a great feeling just seeing things that are crossed off. Way to go everyone.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 4, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7859071

Oh yeah - lists work for me because without one I would never remember to do half of what I want to and because by putting it in writing it sort of makes it more real or something...too easy to forget without the list.

It sounds as though you have some good ideas on storing the books and magazines Caitlin. I love books and display quite a few of them but could probably stand to store some of mine too.

Sounds like you have a good plan going too Gava. I have often thought that having a closet full of shelves would really help matters around here too. Maybe I can work something out with hubby and see if he can possible do something along those lines for either a birthday or next Christmas would even be okay. I like the idea a lot.

Teri - I agree that crossing things off of a list feels really good. I am really glad that each of you responded to my post and wish everyone good success with both gardening and de-cluttering. Have a great weekend all.

Ruby
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 4, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7859993

Ruby, I love the closet system by closet maid, I think. There is a hang track that goes across the top of the wall, then the tracks that hold brackets for shelves attach to the verticle pieces. You can rearrange them and one of the big box stores used to have a program that would help you design the closet of your dreams. It really worked for us. I'm going to look at that again. (BTW, I'm the list lady.)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 5, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7860572

Thanks Gava - Yes - there have been many times when in a Lowe's Home Improvement Store that the aisle where they are displaying the closet systems have caught my eye and had me wishing for one of my own. Again - after hubby is done with yard chores and has some time when the weather is cooler maybe he will check in to one of these sets with me and agree to do the work getting it installed.

As I mentioned - for about six years now the evil closet in spare room has just been stacked with bins full of things and it has not served me well in terms of finding things when I need to have them. I usually have to unpack the whole closet in order to find something and I am very tired of doing that. Something has to give!!!!

Aaaaaahhhhh...just thinking of the possibility brings me a sense of peace. Gonna write this down and show it to him as a birthday gift suggestion. hahaha How can he refuse?

I hope that each of you will have a good weekend. I am slow getting started today. Some nights I must sleep very hard or something because I almost feel hung over in the mornings. I have been up for several hours but so far have only been sitting here in front of computer. I have plenty to keep me busy today whenever I do get up and start motivating. Take care all.

Ruby
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7861089

I have the same problem with closets. It would be nice to have a lot of shallow closets with shelves (more like wide bookshelves with doors!) so no matter how much you stuff in, you can see what's what without excavating. In fact, I made a simple set of shelves that I then used a rod with fabric gathered on it for a curtain. I also have a 3 way mirror that needs to be the doors for another shelving unit. I'm not much for carpentry, but if you have the lumber yard cut your boards to size it is fairly easy to use 1x2's glued and screwed under each end of the shelf for support. I just talked myself into making another one!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7862874

My BIL took the old timey paneling off of the walls and sheet rocked the upper part and put hinges on the (cut) piece of paneling and put it on the lower wall. He has shelves in there that range from 2x4's to 1/4 inch plywood depending on where it is located and how thick the wall is - the heavier woods are close to the kitchen and the shelves hold canned goods and gallon jugs of cooking oil. The ones near and in the LR are the 1/4 inch and are filled with knick knacks and CD's. The hallway walls hold all of the Christmas knick knacks that are skinny enough to fit. The bathroom wall opens up into a hair-care haven like I wish that I had.
He says that he saw it on a TV show back in the early 80's and kept it in mind for the day that he got a house with paneling. Gosh, If I could do this, I sure would! It would be so nice to have all of that storage. His house has those tiny little closets, so he really needed to do this, and it looks so nice with the wainscoting.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7863057

That sounds like a great idea! Something to think about if you are adding a room. (Or designing a house!)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 7, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7865971

I thought that I might have some time yesterday to begin doing some things in the spare room closet but then got side tracked and never got in there. It is a new week now and maybe if I can begin just spending short amounts of time in there I can begin doing a few things a day to move the project along.

It is calling for cooler temperatures here this week so I am looking forward to spending a bit of time doing some planting of the many plants we received at a Daves Garden sponsored Plant Swap we attended two Saturday's ago. There is one more bed that needs weeding attention and then I will feel as though I can devote more time and energy indoors to things.

Good to see you posting Juney. Your BIL's place sounds really efficient. I love ideas like that which are not seen everywhere but have a bit of individual style. Caitlin - let us know how things go when you get started on shelves in the closet. Not sure if I will get them this year or not. I wan them too.

I hope that all reading will have a good week coming up. Take good care everyone.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7871598

So this is where the meetings are being held. Think I'll barge on in...

Well, I guess I have been taking a break from decluttering. Certainly not for a lack of items. I just pooped out, somehow. My life turned in another direction, then I got sick and assumed the "dead cockroach position" as DH likes to say.

What a great thread this is again. Terri, I feel so much sympathy for you and your Uncle. My mother is similar. Stick to your guns and don't adopt those behaviors, if possible. Being a "saver" is not such a horrible thing, it just makes life more difficult than it needs to be. Did it feel good to clean up after him when he left? Was it kind of frightening?

It has been great to catch up with you all. I am more in the mood now to get back on the elephant again. Thanks! =^..^=
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7872798

Hey, you guys. Found you with huckleberry's help. Have been mostly on the vegetable forums as of late. Glad to see you all are alive and well. Thought of you, Juney, a couple weeks ago with the North/South Korea stuff on the news.

Lynda
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 11, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7879101

Wonderful...really great to see you Huckleberry and Quiltygirl. So glad you found us. Oh - I don't think that decluttering is ever done...it is something we have to keep at or it will overtake us again. I know from experience.

Anyway...thought I would include you all in the plans that I am making for my plant room which has been the thorn in my side for sometime now. I am hoping that my planned project will somehow work to inspire me to do better with the room and not allow it to get in the condition that it sometimes does with clutter.

I have a friend who is an artist with carpentry call me a day or two ago asking if I had any work for him. Yep - the economy and jobs are affected here too. Anyway...the thing that came to my mind was something that I have been thinking of and talking about for some time. For the past two winters the spare bedroom has been used as home to most of my large house plant collection.

There is only one small window in the room so I use plant lights on some of the plants. Anyway...I have the idea of installing a sliding glass door in the room which would open on to the front deck. He checked around and is going to be able to do the job for less money than I was thinking it would cost. He is supposed to come on Monday and begin working. I am so excited about getting this done.

I really feel that it will be a motivating factor in keeping the room looking presentable the marjority of the time rather than me allowing it to be a junk room at times. I can envision the larger plants that have been difficult to find the right light for to sit more to the middle of the room in front of the door and get adequate light. So ladies...I have put myself in a spot where I have no choice other than to tackle the room later today and over the weekend and get it in condition for him to work in there next week.

I will report in as I have things to share. Just know that this is really exciting for me. I have been dreaming of it for several years now and it is closer to happening than it ever has been before. Hope along with me that all goes well with it and I love it as much as I think I am going to.

Here is wishing each of you a great and productive weekend. Take good care all.

Ruby
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 11, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7879121

cool idea ruby! congratulations on adding light!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7881556

Great idea. Your plants will love it in the winter and when they move out unto the deck in the summer, you will be able to just step out and sit with them.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 12, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7881719

Oh yeah - I am excited to get it started. I didn't have time yesterday to get in and prepare things for the carpenter yet but hope to spend a bit of time this afternoon making space for him to work. I hope you folks don't get tired of my gushing over this.

Anyway...off to the salt mines...have a great weekend all.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 19, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7902317

Another week has come and is almost gone. It is the weekend again folks. I had some disappointing news earlier in the week when my carpenter didn' t show up on Mondas as expected. I heard from him on Tuesday with the word that he would be here on Wednesday. Wednesday is come and gone and not another world from carpenter...I advanced him $400.00 last week in order to purchase the door and so now I sit here wondering if I have been taken for the fool again or if indeed he might still show up ready to do what was planned.

I am trying not to let it get to me and am kind of looking at it like if he can live with being dishonest, so can I. I suppose at the moment I am not too irate because there is still a part of me which hopes that he comes on and does as he promised.

Also looking back over the excitement I was feeling and sharing here last week can set a person up for a hard let down. Anyway...just wanted to update you ladies. One thing about preparing for him to come and work allowed me to empty some things out of the cluttered room and I am one step ahead when I actually get ready to do something about the upside down closet.

I hope that everyone is having a good Saturday. Take care friends.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7902624

Praying for you, Ruby.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 19, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7903046

What a bummer. Does he have a phone? Address? It could be that he has had an honest problem but why wouldn't he call you?
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7903628

God's best for both you and the carpenter. Everything that happens in our life can be used by God for good.
Please keep the faith and look to Him as your source.

Peace and love,
Sheri
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 20, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7905872

Ah Sheri and all - God is working in this matter for sure. This man is someone whom I have known all of my life as he and his family are old members of this small community the same way my family is. The carpenter called this morning and at one point began to cry. He knows the Lord and must be under great conviction as he parties the week away. I just told him that a phone call saying yea or nea is always nice to have. He said he will be here tomorrow, but we will see. Just another expensive lesson possibly though there might be hope for either a new door or getting my money returned. I am not losing sleep over it. I did mention that I had spent last weekend emptying the space so that he had enough space to do his work and I needed to have it set back up by the first of July when I have company visiting. As I said...not all is lost...I am a step ahead when I geet ready to tackle the tacky closet. I hope that everyone had a good weekend and that the upcoming week will be good for everyone too. You folks are the very best.

Sheri - as for God using this, he has already. As I was explaining my feelings over the situation I realized that there are other areas of my life that the Lord wants to take care of too. This one was easy enough to let go of and say let God take care of it. I didn't give him money that would make or break me. It is when children - adult children in this case are involved and you watch them struggling through their issues is when it is hard for me to sit back and relax and let God be in control. I want to take the steering wheel but I have been at it for years and nothing that I have said or done has made one iota of difference to this particular child who causes me grief.

I realized this morning that God wants to control each and every part of my life...not only the ones that are easy to give to him to manage but the real tough ones too. Hopefully I remember that as I go through my week this week. Thank you all for allowing me to get a bit side tracked and off topic. As I think further while sitting here I also realize that the Lord wants to be involved in my tendency to grow clutter too. I believe that I need to re-think some things and allow him to be my partner in letting go of useless to me things. Aha...revelation.

Ruby
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 20, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7906553

Amen, sister!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7906722

Yeah! Amen to that! You got me to re-thinking too...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 23, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7912497

Any sign of him yet, Ruby?
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7912852

Some people can take advantage of our Christian trust. For example, my elderly aunt was having a kitchen sink drainage problem. She is a fanatically clean and tidy person, not the kind to let her sink clog up...So she called a plumber who advertised in the church paper. He came out and said "oh dear, all of these pipes need to be torn out, it will make a real mess in the basement for awhile, everything is clogged with sand."..he charged her 5,000 and she wrote out a check right away so he would get it done quickly and not mess up her basement for too long...She trusted him to be honest with her because he advertised in the church paper. I am thinking that he targeted elderly, trusting people who read the church paper and then charged them exhorbitant fees.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7913842

Ruby - I to am working on the issue of clutter in my house. When i remember that everything I have is because He has allowed or orchestrated it, including that this is His house not mine,I seee in a whole new light. I would never let His or anyone elses house that I was caring for become a cluttered building full of things I might need sometime or that were such a bargain that I had to have them.
I think I have a lot of bags to fill for the Goodwill or church blessing room, etc.

Sheri
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7914413

Free Will is an awesome gift. That is a lesson in self control, many a good person struggles with.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7914439

For sure!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 24, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7917108

Thanks so many for replying. Got a lot of us thinking I see. Gosh things are really kind of simple when we get out of our own ways and turn things over to God. On the other hand for those who are Christians whenever we begin to have spiritual revelations and begin to try and bring the Lord in to more areas of our lives, our enemy also gets busy. There is no way the enemy wants us going around professing what good the Lord has done for us. It is just two days since I last wrote and talk about being under attack this week...I certainly have been. Oh yeah, I started out being tiffed at the carpenter but that has actually become just about the least of my stressors this week. It seems that things are coming from all sides pressing at me. I felt my stinking thinking trying to creep in earlier this week and that particular thought I had, hasn't bothered me for years. I became aware of what is going on and trying to steal my joy. Thankfully, even though all the issues are not fully corrected yet, I have a better attitude towards them. Attitude certainly makes a major difference in how we deal with things.

Margaret, you have never heard the biggest bunch of bs coming from one person. There has been something every day except for yesterday the carpenter called and said he could come then and we had to tell him no that my hubby who was going to help out was busy with something else. Today's excuse is legitimate. His father was admitted to ICU last evening due to losing blood rectally. I understand him not being able to get here today for sure. Hopefully if his dad begins doing better my hubby and carpenter can go and purchase the door tomorrow and at this point I would like for him to begin work on Monday rather than a Friday or a weekend day. So, things are delayed a bit. He will come through or either pay the money back but next time I try to help someone out I will be a bit more cautious.

So, if those who also have thought about bringing in The Lord as their partner in decluttering, I hope that you will share your progress with us. I had another idea yesterday during the midst of some chaos and decided rather than tackle my crowded and over flowing shed all at one time, I am going to bring in just one box a few evenings a week and go through the boxes as I watch TV. Takes the pressure off and like all things...it will get done slowly but surely. Anxious to hear progress reports from you gals too. I have my first small box inside and will start with it tonight. I will let you all know how that idea goes.

Until later...

Ruby

gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

June 24, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7917274

What a wonderful idea - to choose to see this stuff as the Lord's. To see this space as His, I should clean it up for Him. Then I can share all this stuff with others who need it more than I do.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7918566

Ruby, I am sorry to read about this disappointment. You were ready to break free of that junk room, and you did everything to get it started. Please stay strong and keep to your goal. Perhaps this struggle you are going through will give you the strenghth you need to push on and get it done- one way or another!
I am cheering you on!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 30, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7932348

Gava, I am going to try looking at the clutter matter in that way too and I am willing to bet that this may be the strategy that finally works for some of us. We don't want to disappoint or let down our Lord, now do we?

Huckleberry, I will most likely be back from time to time looking for some cheer leading as I finally tackle the room. Good to know that you are rooting for me.

The good news is that after the initial distress of thinking someone was just drinking my money away...Mr. Carpenter finally showed on Monday and set the door yesterday. He will be here later today to finish wall repairs and I will be the very happy owner of a sliding glass door which will open on to my front deck. I have envisioned this room being like this for some years and even though money is tight, I couldn't be happier with it.

I will be returning with progress reports and to get some kind words and some motivation from those of you have been a bit more successful with de-cluttering that I have been so far. Thank you to each of you following this thread. I need the chat in order to hold my self accountable to something or someone. Knowing you folks are rooting for me to get the job done will certainly be very helpful to me.

Here is hoping that everyone is having a good week and feeling good about the blessings in each of our lives. Take care and I will report back as soon as I have something to report.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7934642

I'm relieved to hear your project is back on track again, Ruby! I'm sending my best wishes for your success.

Hubby and I are still coughing and easily tired. Doctor says he has pneumonia and I have bronchitis and infections in both my ears. So that's why the wind blowing thru the trees sounds like I have a hose running somewhere. =^..^=

I have not kept the promise I made myself to declutter and clean one room each month. I still think it is a good plan. Had company over Father's day weekend. Cleaning was not stressful at all. I hope that means I am free of some of the negative emotions I had about my messes in the past. I am still going to have a big yardsale and then all leftovers are going away. Then it is all maintenance (yawn) and diligence (don't keep bringing more stuff in). That's the plan.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7936841

huckleberry - you rest up. I went through 10 days in hospital with pneumonia and chronic bronchitis last Jan. Had a relapse end of March and only just got off oxygen in May. I felt much better after leaving hospital, but lungs just were not taking in and expelling oxygen well enough. Don't push it. I will pray for you.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7941283

You are all in my prayers♥
I have been off-line for a week due to a landlady going insane and causing us to move. I have heard about the "crazy landlord" all of my life and had sort of thought that it was an urban legend or that those people must have done something bad to make the landlord act that way. Wow! After 3 countries, 9 states and in our 23rd house together, we ran into one. God helped us a lot, and all 3 (US)government agencies that control where we live; agreed on the 2nd day that we should move immediately. Whew!
A different realtor was found on day 5 and we moved into the top floor of a 14 story building on the night of day 7. All of this was not as easy as we should have had it, since we had slacked off and had been way less than diligent about clutter control and organization. A thrift store has opened within 6 blocks of my old house and I "was going to" get rid of the stuff there...but never made myself get around to it. Boy-o! Do I regret my laziness! This apartment is the perfect size for us - if we only had gotten rid of all of that extra furniture and clothes that we had such good plans to eventually do. I hope to get back on track of myself a little better. And like you said, RubyW, having the support of our e-friends helps♥

It seems that even in our setbacks, we learn and move forward.

Wishing you all the best! And warning you to not procrastinate - it can turn around and bite you!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 4, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7942960

Oh my gosh gals...you folks have really been going through some tough times. Quilty I didn't realize that you were ill in January and again in March. Hopefully you will recover nicely from here on out. Take your own advice and go slow with things.

Huckleberry, gosh both you and hubby ill at the same time isn't good at all. Who is the nurse? Goodness, please feel better soon and same for your hubby.

Dear Juney - So sorry to hear about your horror story. Moving is so stressful even when you have plenty of time to plan for it. To have to move as quickly as you two did sounds awful. What a load of stress that must have been for you. Don't you try to do too much either...all of our piles will be there waiting for us when we are feeling better.

I had a friend offer to come on Monday July 12 to help me go through some things and hopefully send some things away from here. She made me promise to not let her take anything home with her. Actually the reason we are going to get together and go through things is that I have offered to give her some of my beading supplies because she is making and selling jewelry. I am hoping that she will open a place on Dave's Market Place and sell some of her jewelry there. Only problem with giving her some beading supplies is that I can't find the majority of them.

Gosh, doesn't not being able to find things bug you gals? It sure does me. It comes with being cluttered though and until I get things down sized and better organized I may as well plan to continue not finding things I am looking for.

The sliding glass door is in and is really nice. I am charging the batteries on my camera now so I can take pictures to share with you all. Shame that the carpenter has a love affair with the bottle because he does excellent work but is very often unreliable.

I hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. Take care friends.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7948998

Whooppee, Ruby! I'm so happy for you and your sliding door. You hung in there! I have noticed that creativity and alcohol have a way with some people too. Good thing for him that you kept him honest.

Quilty, I remember you being so ill. It gave me a start. I have no idea what kind of bug I have, but amoxicillin and tetracycline did not phase it. Now I am on SMZ/TMP, which I think is a sulpha kinda thing. It seems to be helping, or else it is because the weather is drying up. It has been annoying, of course. We have alot of elderly people we cannot visit because of this. Now I can really sympathize with those who are losing their hearing.

Juney, what a weird experience. I hope this will lead to something better happening for you. If one door was slammed in your face, perhaps you are due for something really good! Let's hope, anyway.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7951585

Ruby - Yes, not finding something does drive me nuts. But for a different reason. You see, I am, by nature, a neat, uncluttered person. I always have a place for everything and everything in it's place, so when something goes missing - like recently my eyebrow tweezers - it DRIVES ME NUTS. I joined this Forum because I need to cope with my family of 2 who are comfortable with clutter and who are driven nuts by me.

Huckleberry. Sounds like you are drying up with the weather, sounds promising. I really appreciate feeling so good for several months now. Took a portable oxygen producer to DFW last month, just in case. Glad to report not needing it. Pulmonologist liked to hear I was gardening "in the fresh air", which is good for our lungs. We have been mostly 10 to 15 degrees less than average in temperature here and it is wonderful.

Juney - 23 houses! WOW. Glad to here you are settling in again. Ruby is right, to have to rush into a move like that would be more difficult.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7954725

I enjoy peeking in to the Plant Room each time I walk by it. Right now it is full of my twenty year old son's wardrobe of which is extensive. He moved recently and left most of his clothes here at my place until he is a bit more settled somewhere. My next project is finding a place to put them temporarily instead of sitting in the middle of the floor.

Hubby and I were just discussing going by a home repair store some time this weekend and buying curtain hanging supplies for the new door because the extremely hot temperatures our area is having is leaving the room really hot without anything covering it and the sun shining in it all day.

On Monday an old friend who I have recently been reunited with is coming by to help me go through some of the boxes of craft supplies that I have in my closet and some from our outdoor shed. We will be getting together jewelry making and beading supplies for her because she is currently making jewelry and somewhere I have all sorts of supplies that I have bought and never done anything with. I will gladly give them over to a good home.

I went through a few of the boxes I brought in earlier and found some old jewelry that I no longer want and she can take those home too and use them in her hobbie. So, even though jewelry and supplies are small things, maybe the bug will catch and I will find myself being able to part with some other things that are doing nothing but taking up space.

Huckleberry and Quilty - I hope that you both will continue to heal up. I too have had bronchial/sinus types of issues in the past that seemed to be antibiotic resistant and which took forever to heal. It sucks. Over the past few years I have also had recurring issues with Urinary Tract infections. I had never had one until I turned fifty and since then I have had them many times. My Urologist now has me on a low dose antibiotic that I take daily and it seems to be working to keep them at bay because it has now been some months since having to deal with them. Praise the Lord. They can make a person feel really awful too.

Anyway, I hope that all reading will have a good weekend. It is supposed to be a bit cooler for the next two days and it will be a welcome relief.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7971345

Stay cool, Ruby, and all the rest of us too.
I am 99% over my respiratory distress. My hearing is "off" still. I hear things in the wrong direction. I think it has to do with the balance being out. Just like stereo speakers.
I have been digging thru my stuff, putting more and more on the "out" pile. Very time-consuming as I have been fixing most of these items. Yawn.
Not being able to find something I know I have...sends me into a frenzy. I become the Tasmanian Devil. =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 16, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7973097

HI there Huckleberry. Good to hear that you are getting a bit of de-cluttering done. I have been able to devote part of one day this week to it. I have recently renewed a high school friendship after many, many years and she came over Monday and helped me go through things in the plant room closet. We made some progress and the room looks better even though there is still more to be done before the plants come inside in the fall.

My friend Toni was great to have around for this because she was very take charge and get it done. I have a feeling I must have frustrated her some as I looked at items and had memories regarding some of them. She was cool about it though. What really impressed me was that she offered to take away the donate things and put them with some of her stuff and drop off at the charity. She also offered to let me put some of my gazillions of magazines in to her recycling bin for pick up.

I usually like to give my magazines another life and take them to doctors offices and a nearby laundromat. I hate the thought of throwing them away and it eases my mind a bit to know they will be recycled, if not read again. I still need to get those together.

I Just remembered that I also spent a little time one days last weekend on my linen closet. I didn't have anything to get rid of but it sure was disorganized and bothered me every time I opened the door. Later today I plan to go through one of my kitchen cabinets which is also in disarray. Whenever I open it things fall out. The time has come to organize that too.

Anyway, so glad you wrote Huckleberry. Here is hoping you continue to make progress and slowly but surely will get it done. Friday again, have a good weekend to all who are reading.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America