Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Can I worm my chickens?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 14, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chickengrl
sydney
Australia

November 19, 2008
7:01 AM

Post #5807866

hi
I was wondering if it is okay to de-worm layer hens even if you dont know if they have worms.

Thumbnail by chickengrl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #5807938

u can deworm any chicken and sometimes they have them and u can't see them. i use wazine it is a wide spectrum wormer and is consintrated. if u eat the eggs i believe there is a 10-14 day span once stopped the meds u can't eat the eggs till that down time is passed to ensure the meds r out of their system incase it is passable through the eggs but i can't remember it would say on back of bottle. it also on that brand has chick to adult dozes which i like but i don't know off hand any other wormers although i know there is alot more than that. i don't usually eat my eggs i sell hatching eggs more or don't have to worm them that often so it has been awhile i have had to worry about it.

food grade DE and cheyene pepper i believe r 2 natural wormers if i remember right.
hope that helps,
silkie
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5808169

Most all ground birds need occasinal worming as they eat worm eggs that they get from the ground and insects. But as silkie said there is waiting period after you worm them before you can eat the eggs.

All mine are caged bantams and i don't worm mine as they don't have access to any worm carrying insects.

I would also sudjest giveing them some yogurt after you worm them. The wormer upsets the micro flora in their intestines and you can help replace that with a little yogurt.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5809338

If you use the food grade DE do you need to wait w/ the eggs?
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5809417

no it is safe for people. just make sure it is food grade not pool grade. pool grade used for swimming pools has to high a silica content and is poisonous. food grade is processed different and the content of the silica is to low so it will not hurt u. many people use it for home remidies it is good for many things. for chickens u can dust them for parasites with DE but if put in food it also works for internal parasites. it is 100% all natural.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5809630

Thanks, silkiechick, I figured as much but wanted to be sure. We used to rub it into the goats coat to keep parasites off of them.
Do the chickens eat wood ash? I've read posts stating that wood ash is great for the chickens to dust in but was wondering if they ate it if that would work on internal parasites? Or do they just like to take a roll in it?!
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5809786

i've heard it works great also for rolling in it but never tried it. i'm not sure on that one to be honest i don't know if they would eat it or not but u know chickens,lol.
InnBetween
Newton, AL

November 20, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5810978

I always put a little DE in my feed to keep the bugs out and it doubles as keeping the bugs out of my girls.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5811612

I've been free-ranging the chickens and they've barely touched their layer pellet so I'm wondering if they'd get enough of the DE to help w/ parasites. They have 24/7 access to the feed but I guess it's just not as tasty as what's in the fields!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5811827

I have the same issue, mine do not eat the laying pellets that much either, only if I do not put out the mixed feed for them will they eat the layer pellets. Mine are also free range. They have access to 40 acres but only venture on about 2 or so acres.
chickengrl
sydney
Australia

November 23, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5820731

What is DE?
I think I will try the cayenne peper , do you make them eat it or just sprinkle it on them or some thing?
Also is it okay to worm them if the are sitting on eggs (due to hatch on thursday,Im so excited!)
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5825298

It's Diatomaceous earth. Make sure it's the food grade not for pools! You can use as a wormer, in your garden to get rid of pests, on your livestocks coats to get rid of mites and lice...
SuzeScott
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5826422

You can mix cayene into their food. Carrots and pumpkin seed (uncooked, ground is better than whole) are other natural wormers.

Wazine (piperazine is the generic name) is not broad spectrum. It is actually a very narrow spectrum wormer. It is, however the only wormer approved for chickens. Others that people use off-label are ivermectin, fenbendazole, levamisole, ... most of the wormers out there have and can be used on chickens--but you will have to get the dose and instructions.

All DE is silica; the content is not changed. However the heat processing used in creating pool grade removes and/or lessens the absorption capacity to where it becomes ineffective. It also becomes more of a breathing issue. Not positive, but I don't believe it is poisonous.

Wood ash is used for dust bathing. We never have any, so I've never tried it.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5829207

Wood ash?
BillandJan
New Milford, PA

November 25, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5829609

You can buy a broad spectrum wormer at most farm supply stores. We used a liquid added to water. Peperenzime (spelling?). I used also the cattle wormer Ivomec. It works on worms and lice. One drop on the tongue. Works on dogs also and it is the main ingredient in the heart worm medication for dogs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America