Photo by Melody

Article: Put Your Own Seasonal Harvest on Your Thanksgiving Table: You forgot cranberries!

Communities > Forums > Article: Put Your Own Seasonal Harvest on Your Thanksgiving Table
bookmark
Forum: Article: Put Your Own Seasonal Harvest on Your Thanksgiving TableReplies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5808862

At my mother's house, we always have home-made whole berry cranberry sauce as well as jellied sauce (with ridges) from a can. Cranberries are one of the very few fruits native to our continent! This Thanksgiving, please don't forget this uniquely American dish, if not from your own garden then maybe at least from your own state or definitely from your own country.

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5809184

I omitted cranberries as something few of us are likely to be able to grow. Although parts of my garden get pretty boggy.

But I always have them on the table in some form.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5810068

^_^
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 27, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7312641

Carriel; Because of your article I bought two bags of cranberries Monday. It said freeze one right in the bag for later. So I did. I ground it up with the oranges, apples, jello and, articfial sugar. It does need blending!! whew. But I think it will be great by the morning and fantastic for our Thanksgiving meal on Saturday. (yeah we are late, family all will be together then).

I planted a good fall garden this year. We tilled the rest and let the geese in as we usually do, they never seem to bother anything. They for the first time have stood over top of the cabbages, gossiping, and eating them!!!!! Never did it before???? Oh, well it is what it is. They want my lettuce this fall too which is also a first, but they are fenced out of that. I have been feeding them some along and they for the first time really want it!!! I am having fresh lettuce from the garden this Saturday === Not bad for November in Kentucky and today it was snowing a little bit.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7313619

That's terrific! (I think if you've been feeding the geese then they only naturally expect to continue being fed!) I hope your cranberry concoction turns out to be delicious.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Put Your Own Seasonal Harvest on Your Thanksgiving Table Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hey phicks 3 Nov 19, 2008 10:11 PM
New ideas! Allwild 4 Nov 23, 2010 5:45 AM
Frozen corn too Liquidambar2 0 Nov 27, 2009 3:36 AM
So surprised... pbtxlady 0 Nov 23, 2011 9:08 PM
nice! jmc1987 0 Nov 18, 2014 8:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America