AuthorContent
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5809489

Sharon, a wonderful and timely article.
My Oma kept almost all her food in the cellar. Ironically in our family, the cellar was viewed as a safe haven rather than the abode of monsters!

This site had some interesting improvised root cellars, as well as some drawings of cellar layouts from bygone days:
http://www.earth-house.com/Disaster_Readi/Sanctuaries/Root_Cellars/root_cellars.html

This article segues very nicely with some of the discussions on the Sustainable Alternatives forum on how we can feed ourselves. It would be fun to do a winter cooking/recipe challenge using only those foods that would be available in one's cellar (if we had one) or produced locally during the winter.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5809530

Here's a link to the "cellar" menu/recipe challenge:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/925461/
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5809559

Hi, Mermaid,
That would be a great idea...I could almost write those recipes with no research, since that is what I lived on during the years of WWII. I have included some of them in my apple butter article, and the shucky bean article, not root veggies, but maybe I should cover them as well.
Fruitcake article is upcoming in a week or so, so there is another one, along with Dutchlady's dried fruit article. But yours is an excellent idea.

Also thanks for the link, it is a great source, and I should have found it when I was writing this article. Not sure why I missed it.

I haven't checked into the SA forum in a while, but I do follow it, and firmly believe there is much value in these older methods of food preservation, value that is superior in many ways to anything that can be found today.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and for the link. Maybe you can let me know as you have more specific ideas, and we'll see what we can do with them. January and February would be a good time to think about and write about them.

I hope you have sunshine today.
Sharon
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5809578

Oh Yayyy...you got it started. I WILL follow this thread, that is a promise. Thank you!
And I might be able to contribute a bit from time to time.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5809639

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your cellar menus & recipes!

When I lived in the Sierras, we had a very short growing season. My mom would stock the pantry and garage before the snow season started. The uninsulated garage served as our cellar for the winter. Stock pots were placed in the snow on the back doorstep for overnight chilling...at least until the racoon discovered the mid-winter buffet line. :D

The SF Bay area has a 12 month growing season, so cold storage is more of a way to extend the availability between harvests. Apples, leeks and cheeses in the wine cellar come to mind here here.

Hopefully we'll get a lot of participation from different climate regions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: About Root Cellars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Root cellars: rooted in history Hemophobic 1 Nov 18, 2008 3:19 PM
Love that last line! gloriag 4 Nov 19, 2008 3:04 AM
Root phicks 5 Nov 19, 2008 7:21 PM
A face with the stories postmandug 3 Nov 18, 2008 10:03 PM
Store Tender Bulbs too! dahlianut 1 Nov 18, 2008 8:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America