Photo by Melody

Article: What looks like a Shmoo and is edible? A Cushaw!: love it

Communities > Forums > Article: What looks like a Shmoo and is edible? A Cushaw!
bookmark
Forum: Article: What looks like a Shmoo and is edible? A Cushaw!Replies: 4, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5810524

You know i still have some cushaw canned from 3 yrs ago . I still havn't done anything with them. I think they need to become soup ?
i like the new pic of you also . :)
always learning from your great articles.
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5810776

Sue, they are probably too soft for soup unless you purée them... or mash them for pumpkin pies.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5811709

they do look a bit soggy and getting mushy. They will easily puree or mash :) i need to get creative. I didn't get to order chestnuts this year . Not in the budget. I was looking at Gourmet mag ? i think and they had alot of great squash and chestnuts reciepes.
i will let you know how it goes :)
peace
sue
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5826297

You mentioned pancakes. Do you have a recipe? I remember being at someone's house many, many years ago for Thanksgiving and in the morning they served pumpkin pancakes with, I believe, apple cider syrup. I remember they were really good. I've tried to replicate by adding canned pumpkin to pancake mix, but it just does not hit the mark!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5826583

No, I do not have an actual recipe for pancakes. I just substitute cushaw for pumpkin in pumpkin pancake recipes. We don't often eat pancakes in my household. Apple Cider syrup sounds good! I usually same some of the "juice" from canning apples for apple pie filling, and use it to make a bit of syrup. Same with pears and cherries.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What looks like a Shmoo and is edible? A Cushaw! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
wonderful! Dutchlady1 1 Nov 19, 2008 3:12 PM
cushaw squash phicks 4 Nov 19, 2008 6:22 PM
Like minded PedricksCorner 1 Nov 19, 2008 5:14 PM
Yum! Aunt_A 1 Nov 20, 2008 12:03 AM
The Shmoo Elena 5 Nov 26, 2008 4:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America