Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: Black walnuts/tin roofs

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 7, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 20, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5811464

Good morning, Sharon: We didn't have a black walnut tree, but we did have a tin roof. What I remember is a hail storm one time that probably sounded like the walnuts falling on your tin roof! Scary to a little girl.

But, oh, the brownies that are made with black walnuts! Yum, yum. They're the best in the world.

Great article, Dear Friend.

Angie
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5811721

Another great article, Sharon, and I'm glad you included a list of plants that will grow under a black walnut tree. I often wonder whether the toxic properties of juglone are just a myth.

Luckily, my black walnut doesn't have a tin roof under it, but it does cover almost one-quarter of my half-acre lot. In addition to the plants you mentioned in your article, some of the other things that are growing without any problems under mine are a pear tree, a dogwood, a mimosa, and lots of azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, kerrias, weigelas, fuchsias, hydrangeas, lilacs, mandevillas, lapagerias, begonias, primulas, cannas, vireyas, irises, and orchids. In short, anything that doesn't mind some shade.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 20, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5811742

Thank you for a lovely article.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5811853

I am a black walnut appreciator, too!
A fellow here has built a massive gadget that easily cracks the
nuts, and, when HE uses it, the sections fall out whole!

Thanks to you and to zuzu for list of tolerant plants.
Fitsy

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5812235

Aren't there English walnuts and Other walnuts? The ordinary grocery store type have a different flavor than the Black Walnuts you're describing, right? I know I've tasted it, sometime, somewhere - it came flooding into my taste buds with your article!

Thank you, Sharon!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5812367

Angie,
I had forgotten brownies!!! How could I forget? Thank you for reminding me and also for your comment. I am glad you have good memories, too.

Zuzu...thank you for the use of your walnut tree photo in the article, I kept looking to see if you were standing beneath it, too tiny to be seen. Your tree is hugely majestic! I am going to try to creep back into the article to see if I can add your list onto the end. Thank you so much, and thank you for writing. It is always so good to hear from you.

Dutchlady, thank you so much.

Fitsy...wow! I didn't know there was such a thing. Cracking walnuts was the way I learned to use a hammer and not smash every bone in my hand...not my favorite thing, but a nice memory nontheless. Thank you for writing.

Carrie, there are Black Walnuts and there are Other Walnuts ^_^
And yes, you are right, but the black walnuts were so very good in fudge, and particularly in brownies just like Angie mentioned above. My favorites. Thanks.

You all have made me smile this morning. Thank you.
Sharon
Soulja
Louisville, KY

November 21, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5814862

My Grandfather was officially named The Walnut man of Mason Ohio in the 80s. He was obsessed. Hunted, gathered, dried, categorized, labeled, stored, and ate walnuts all the time. I just got the newspaper articles about him with some papers of my dad's. Nice article Shar of a worthy subject, one which brings back some of my own nice childhood memories of deep Ohio woods walnut hunting adventures with Papa.

Hope you had a good birthday my friend.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5814881

Shawna, i am so glad you have such good memories of times with your Papa, and that you have the papers and now this article is timely, so I am glad you have both at the same time.
Nice memories are sometimes all we are left with, and I try very hard to hold on to them, as I am sure you are doing with your Dad's papers. I hope that makes a kind of convoluted sense.
Thanks for writing, it is always so nice to hear from you,
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Work ahead... catmad 5 Nov 22, 2008 4:00 PM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM
a poem for your birthday Kathleen 12 Nov 22, 2008 3:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America