Photo by Melody

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: Work ahead...

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 5, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5811867

I was so excited that we got almost 5 gallons of (still in the hull) Black Walnuts from our tree this year. I figured I could handle that. Unfortunately, I apparently waxed so lyrical about them, that My SO did a very thoughtful thing. He brought home a 35 gallon garbage can full...And this on top of 5 gallons+ of pecans. Not complaining, really, just a bit apprehensive about gettin it all done. Can't waste them, of course...

Thanks Sharon, as always:)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5812398

Cat, I think you have my address, it would be so nice to have a black walnut again, better yet if chocolate were wrapped around, you know? Hmmmmmmmm...

Nothing like a hint, is there, but I just thought I would help you with your problem, being friends and such...I definitely love pecans, too...haven't had them in a while either...

Thanks Cat, always such a treat to hear from you, brings a smile.
Sharon
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5812454

When I was a child we put the dropped walnuts in the driveway and let the tires do the dirty work for us. Holly has picked up 2 50# feed sacks of them from just one of our smaller trees. She wanted to sell them to some place but I don't know of anyone close that takes them anymore. I am going to ask her if she would be willing to let me dry and hull them that way if I can find someone who will shell them out on shares. Our squirrels eat them all year long. And I remove the sprouts all over the flower beds of the ones they forgot to return to during the winter and spring.

I'm glad to know they are good for us as well as very tasty. Thanks for that information. I've never known of any medicinal use of them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5812491

Oh yes, Leaflady, I have had the driveway experience too...I sure wish I lived nearer, I'd help you lessen your numbers, for sure.

Thanks for writing, always so nice to hear from you.
Sharon
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5818717

*G* Be careful what you ask for...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5819263

And be careful what you do, ms catmad...
Same goes. ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Black walnuts/tin roofs Hemophobic 7 Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM
a poem for your birthday Kathleen 12 Nov 22, 2008 3:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America