Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: a poem for your birthday

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 12, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5812698

Drum of the Gods

Walnuts drop onto the roof
sounding like the drum of the gods
the wind out of the south east
carries them onto the tin
with a good, solid thump.
October has blown from
a different direction
everyday so far
worked its way full around the compass
and wandered through four seasons
as if unsettled as to where it belongs.
We wake in the night
too cold or too warm
confused by the uncertainties
and tangled together in dreams
passed along the lines
of unconscious yearnings.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2008 3:09 PM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5812923

Now how on earth can a few lines from one so far distant make me know that she too has heard the sound of the drumming on the tin roof, and the warmth of the feathbed in which she slept and the confused uncertainties of the days of my life?

Shall I smile or shall I weep?

That , my dear Kathleen, is the question.

You are such a joy. From the depths of my shriveled old heart, Thank you.
Sharon
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5813018

don't weep, unless it is for joy!

I wrote this in 1992, just waiting for someone who knew about walnut trees and tin roofs, I guess.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5813071

And that even makes it more special! I am glad I fit the bill.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5814460

I am humbled by both of you and your gifts with words.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5814471

Me too, cathy, by kathleen...she is amazing.

Thank you...
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5815129

ackkk - you guys!

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5815777

What a great story, making that tree "come alive", Sharon. Another tin-roofer here but no complaints. (The best sleeps came from rain on the roof!)

Great poem, Kathleen! Following your lead and taking Sharon from under the tin roof to outside, under the tree on those windy days:

Walnuts at head level
One second in air,
The next in hair.

Hurt like the devil,
The sound of bonk!
My head now conked!

Of importance to me
Is the hull now cracked,
From this aerial attack?

What a sharing tree,
No ifs, ands or buts
(Wonder if squirrels will bury dented nuts?)

Happy Day to All,
Shoe

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5816343

Ahhh, Shoe, your words are priceless, and I truly hate to say this, but the sound of bonk and conk really do fit the vernacular of SE KY. Seems to me they truly might not equate that thunder on the tin roof to Kathleen's sounds of the drum of the gods.

But that is only because there really were not too many drums beating around in the mountains, other than the chank, chank of the axe as it cut through firewood, or the tinny pounding on the old dishpan when we called the critters in to eat.

Or the upended wash tub, when it was hit on its upside down bottom with a wooden spoon.

So it depends on which shoe I am wearing on this day...whether I want to be bonked, conked, or serenaded by the drums.

See how this works: I figure I gotta choice, a poem for every mood, boy am I lucky to have such poetic buddies in my life. I will dress in my high heeled red boots and wear my fine feathered boa when I am hankerin' for a Kathleen day...and I will wear my side worn comfy leathers with their broken knotted laces when it is a Shoe day. My kinda people, my kinda friends, my kinda life. And you both captured the real me, both parts...

Shoe, I already told Kathleen I loved her, so now I'm tellin' you. You're both the best, and I do love you and your poetry. I will add it to my little collection and be very proud to have it, just any time you feel the poetry muse on your head. I am very proud to be the recipient of such beautiful poems.

Thank you for the smile this morning.
Sharon
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5816961

Aw shucks (he says, looking to the ground while a bare foot kicks an invisible pebble), your kind compliments are as nice to read as are your stories. Thank you!

Bonk and conk, they just fit! And remember, I spent some of my formative years in the Appalachians, growing up with GrandParents, in the NC section. And, as you know from your history, NC used to go all the way to the great Mississippi, encompassing what is now called Tennessee; that being the case and with Kentucky and Tenn being neighbors that must mean bonks and conks in Ky probably could be heard all the way to NC, eh? I reckon those two words are simply more vertebrae in the backbone of the Appalachian region, eh?

"So it depends on which shoe I am wearing on this day...whether I want to be bonked, conked, or serenaded by the drums."

"Bonked, conked, or serenaded"...that should be a great question to ask ourselves each morning! (Would be a great plaque to hang on the wall!) It might help us all to determine our day, eh?
(And don't worry, Folks, those of us who prefer not to wear shoes will still be able to make that choice!)

Very best to you and yours!
Hugs!
Shoe

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5817426

shoe, I'll have you know I wore shoes today when I went to the grocery, cause the temp said 33 when I started my car. So I came back in and put on my shoes, lest my feet freeze fast to the concrete, (like licking the flagpole at the same temp.)

Thanks for the smiles, Shoe...yep, I know about Ky and NC bein' in the neighborhood.
Be well, my friend.
Sharon
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5818657

I love it, Shoe! I may make up a sampler with that on. Great poetising as well.

Sharon, I never thought of myself as a red high heeled boot and boa type! More the good work shoes and a nice flannel shirt type. Or, in weather like this, 4 layers of everything warm and muclucs.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5819230

Don't think of it Kathleen.
Just do it!!

Never too late to change our images of ourselves. My own changes quiet often.
And I have the coolest deep purple boa that you would love.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Black walnuts/tin roofs Hemophobic 7 Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM
Work ahead... catmad 5 Nov 22, 2008 4:00 PM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America