Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Bearded Daylilies?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

What is this? Never heard of them. http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?cultivarsgnew&1227290272

Here is a link to their website for Michael's Sword. http://rainbowhilldaylilyfarm.com/2005intros/michael.html

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 9:17 AM

Fredericksburg, VA

That is very interesting. And I can see in my minds eye a few DL's that would look mighty nice like that.

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

How unique!

Salina, KS

Is this what is referred to as crested?

HD

Fredericksburg, VA

I would really like to see the bearding in a different color like eyes are now, HMMMM

Fredericksburg, VA

Looks like they have a couple others with the bearding on their site

http://rainbowhilldaylilyfarm.com/2005intros/index.html

Fleming, OH

That one is pretty neat! I remember seeing photos when they 1st intro'd it. I've heard that referred to as 'cresting'. Jack Carpenter has one (or two) that do something similar.....can't remember their names off hand. Bob Faulkner had one in his seedling bed last yr and when I asked him about it......he didn't seem too thrilled...LOL

I was also told by a pretty knowledgable hybridizer that if you do enough long crosses using Lavender Blue Baby - you can get a crested one too???

Fredericksburg, VA

Peggy, what do you mean by "long crosses"?

Fleming, OH

Paul,
If you were to take your favorite daylily (probably a clump of it) and use nothing but Lavender Blue Baby pollen on the blooms resulting in a multitude of seeds.......you would have done a long cross. I think different hybridizers have different ideas as to how many seeds make a 'long cross'.....100-200?...probably a matter of preference.
I don't have room for that here and I would just cry if I planted 100 seeds of the same cross and they all looked pretty much the same and none were worth keeping.......that would be a major waste of space for me.
Plus - I'm just too curious to see what different pollens will do with different blooms, so I'm happy with 10-15 seeds of each different cross that I do.
Peggy

Fredericksburg, VA

Ahhh thank you!

Flowery Branch, GA

I have heard of this as called "feathering". Some tetra have it also. Have one here in the garden, OHIO DISCOVERY.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

DebbyD: Picture please? Pretty please with sugar on top!

Delphi, IN

It was so interesting to see this post. I was actually going through looking at a lot of daylilies and found their site and was so surprised to see a hybridizer in my area. I emailed them and asked about Michael's Sword and if it looked like this on every bloom, and they said yes. I do plan to visit their garden this year to see it in person as they are only about 30 minutes from me.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Please take LOTS of pictures and share.

Delphi, IN

I certainly hope to, plus any of their other seedling future hopefuls. It will be interesting. Bad thing is, I know I wouldn't have time to post any photos until mid-November...to busy all the other months.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I thought cresting was when a daylily doubled along the midrib. Has anyone heard that?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I was looking at Michael's Sword just today. I think it would be cool and definetly something new.

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I think the one at Jack Carpenter's place is called "Texas Feathered Fancy" When we visited his gardens last year I saw it.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

I believe feathered and bearded are considered the same thing. 'Michael's Sword' and 'Texas Feathered Fancy' are the only two I've heard of, though I'm aware that it's another direction that some hybridizers are working on. I think consistency in the feathering is one of the current problems. But, I'm not certain about that.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

There is another one I have heard of, I believe it was the first on the market called Bee's Betty Sue or something like that. Could be wrong about the title. Anyone know which one I am referring too?

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, now you guys have done it, but good. I just got a big bonus check from work, and when I saw this daylily I decided I just had to have it. I'm going to be beginning hybridizing in 2009, and I know this will be a great addition to my program. I also want to do a lot of spiders and UFO's as well as get into the stippled ones. Anything unusual I like. What a fantastic daylily Michael's Sword is!

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

http://rainbowhilldaylilyfarm.com/new/bee.html Here it is.Found it at Rainbow Hills. Bee's Betty Sue.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oops! Now the hyperlink at the top of the page doesn't work, as I bought that DL and the auction has ended. You'll have to look at it at their website now, unless they post another auction soon. Sorry about that!

Bee's Betty Sue is one of the parents of Michael's Sword. I don't know if it's the pod parent or pollen parent. Which one is listed first? BBS was the first x Lavender Blue Baby.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That would be the pod parent.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You know, I never spend this much on one daylily. I really must be nuts!

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Hemlady!

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You are welcome!!!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yikes, I didn't know that Lavender Blue Baby made crested flowers and I have sold soooo many seeds of LBB crosses.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I don't think the cresting came from LBB, but from BBS, as that was the parent that had cresting. Apparently that's a dominant trait. Good thing for hybridizers.

Karen

Flowery Branch, GA

Here's a picture of Ohio Discovery.

Thumbnail by DebbyD
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

So, does this qualify me as a budding enabler? You might have seen it anyway, but I'll take the credit Karen.

Warners, NY

I have a self sown seedling somewhere in my confused and weedy jungle that when it survives shade from my acorn grown oak (now two feet thick) and manages to bloom, has tiny purple feathers that surround the anthers while the flower is pale yellow. I keep meaning to move it, it didn,t bloom at all last year, poor thing, While self sown I suspect itwas another forgotten seed pod from when I was buying potted daylilies in the Spring and pt Little Business pollen on old Orangeman or the lemon lily. If I remember (and get organized) I'll try to get it moved next Spring..Its barely a foot high and early. I,ll probably forget or get busy in some other corner ofthe yard.!

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Shall we try and remind you? If you use MS outlook, put it in your calender.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Ditchlily206, you could say you are a budding enabler at that. Ah, well, it doesn't take much to enable me. I had dreams of getting an Ilex Verticilata (Winterberry Holly) tomorrow at a local nursery, as they were only $29, but now that I've spent so much on the DL I will have to wait on the holly.

DebbieD, that Ohio Discovery is very nice, too. Don't know anything about it. Trying to get info on Google now. What I liked about Michael's Sword is that it was 90-100% bearded (or feathered or crested, take your pick!) and that it passed that trait on to it's kids. Since I want to get serious about hybridizing, then I need to pick out the best quality plants I can find, with the traits I would want in a daylily.

Another DL I want for my hybridizing program is Memorial To Steve. http://www.ashwooddaylilies.com/introductions%202008-09.htm A bit pricey, but it sounds like a very exceptional plant.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I just found out that TET LAVENDER BLUE BABY does have the genetics for the bearding. There is a DL called UNENDING MELODY, and one of its parents was TLBB. Then from UNENDING MELODY came OHIO DISCOVERY, a bearded daylily. Nice to know. I have to learn a lot more about DL genetics.

Karen

Brussels, Belgium

Is this bearding a quantitative trait or qualitative trait? I'd like to see some tetraploid versions of this bearding. Does it present in the same manner or is it more prominent?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Now THAT's pretty cool!

It's like having the scultped daylilies go to the next extreme!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Curt Hanson has a line of interesting and unique daylilies that go beyond "beards." I have grown the most extreme one for a few years, using it to make seed for him with the cultivars I have. He finally introduced it last year. He calls it "SIGOURNEY" after Sigourney Weaver of the movie "Alien"... LOL... SIGOURNEY takes this bearding or whatever quite a few steps further. It is quite consistent. I think of it as feathering... SIGOURNEY is one of Curt's cultivars that has an extreme pinched throat, and this unusual trait shows down in the throat, not way out on the petals. Although it is not a traditionally beautiful flower, it is the strangest, most captivating thing. I think he may introduce another from this line for 2009.

Here is a close-up. Some of the close-ups I took were morphed together to make Curt's very unique 2008 cover.

Edited to add that SIGOURNEY is a tet, and is pollen fertile, it has set pods, but its difficult.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 11:43 AM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

And, here is a shot of the full flower.

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh, thank you so MUCH, Jules! I was just wondering this morning (for the umpteenth time) what the WHOLE flower looked like. It is indeed, just the kind of thing I would like to have in my garden. I've taken to referring to him as Curt 'Master of Weird' Hanson. But the only pic I'd ever seen of 'Sigourney' was the one used in the cataloge which doesn't reallt show much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.