Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: My Black Walnuts

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 8, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5813817

Just found the fun article on Blac k Walnuts. We have 3 trees and never have any good nuts from them. We have lived here since 1962 and never have we harvested any good nuts. Two of the trees are real close together and we have a swing hanging from one. Ours are at the bottom of our little hill (certainly not like the hills of our mother land SE KY) but an Indiana hill. Sometimes it is dangerous for me to walk that way as a walnut is a good thing to slide down the hill and fall on.
I can attest to the fact that somethings will not grow well around walnut trees at least in my garden. Most definitely tomatoes. The juglone also affects corn and green beans here.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5813832

sometimes, I have read, that when two black walnuts are growing close together, the juglone from one affects the other. Might have happened to yours.

I haven't lived near one in a long time, so you be sure to enjoy yours for both of us.

Thanks for writing. Stay warm!
sharon
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
5:44 AM

Post #5814949

My grandma had a black walnut tree. Nearby was planted an apple tree and a grape vine. These were all planted before I was born and they grew seemingly happily for many years, but eventually the apple tree and grape vine gradually died. One time we planted potatoes near the walnut tree and they were the most feeble little things. Most were about the size of marbles.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
5:48 AM

Post #5814957

Seems to happen to some plants, and I do think time and age of the walnut tree might have something to do with it.

Thanks for the info , Kelli, and thanks, as always for writing.
Sharon
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5816714

My county extension told me that tomatoes and potatoes are both members of the nightshade family but we never tried potatoes close to the trees.
Sharon now I think next year I will see if the third tree produces any good walnut. I had not heard about them growing so close together. These are only 2 or 3 feet apart. We put some wood between them for our fire pit. It is there under the trees and in the fall when we have a family get together is another time I worry about people falling. I try to pick up all the BAD walnuts and throw them away.
Seems like my aunt had one close to her garden and I never heard anything about bad veggies. Guess I will have to ask my cousins. We were not too worried about bad veggies back then. Less jars for us to wash come canning time.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 21, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5816723

You're welcome, Sharon. (Do find it kind of odd that a Pennsylvanian-Californian can relate to so many of your articles?)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5817452

Not odd Kelli...because I can relate to yours as well. Broadened horizons, I think.
And Pennsylvania is another area that is very similar, or was very similar all those years ago, to mine.
So, no, not odd, just so glad to hear from you.
Easy to hear a similar passion in your writings, just sometimes pointed in another direction, don't you think?
Thank you.
MegOntario
Dundas, Ontario
Canada

November 25, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5828355

I live in Dundas, Ontario, a little town in southern Ontario about an hour from Toronto. We are on the northern edge of the Carolinian forest, so we have black walnuts and redbuds, although they don't grow 30 miles north of here. I have a 35-foot black walnut that overhangs the livingroom. Former owners of the house say it started as a seedling in the early 1960s. We find it produces a bumper crop of walnuts every three years. The first year in the house, my husband and I were shocked when they started to thump down on the roof. It sounded like baseballs thudding. The squirrels in our garden LOVE these walnuts. They are busy hiding them in flower pots, under the windshield wipers of the car, in eavestroughs, and throughout my gardens. A number of seedlings come up in the spring, which I pull. I have never harvested the walnuts. I will attest to the nasty brown stains they produce. Watch where you are sitting -- once I sat to weed and the stain went through my pants, underpants, and on to the skin of my bum! The broken shells the squirrels leave also hurt bare feet. Despite the mess -- walnuts, broken shells, and fallen branches -- I love this tree. I grew up in northern Alberta -- zone 3a. I feel privileged to live in zone 5-6 where I can grow a Forest Pansy redbud under a black walnut. I am also growing Rose of Sharon, vibernum, euonymous, Korean lilac, hostas, ferns, Japanese maples, burning bush, ligularia, Solomon's Seal, liatris, peonies, lady's mantle, and wild geranium under the branches of this tree. It attracts tent caterpillars, unfortunately. This year there were about 8 nests high up. I'm worried that next year, there will be 64 nests.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5828386

Aargh...yes, tent caterpillars seem to multiply, so 64 might be about right for next year. Goodness what a mess.
But I am so glad you like your black walnut. I know about the squirrels, too, and finding the nuts in my flower pots, and flower beds.
I am also glad you are having success with plants beneath it. I had not thought about having a red bud there, but then my red bud is a whopping 30 feet tall, so guess you might be talking about a smaller one. I think a lot has to do with the soil and the climate, as to whether or not some plants will grow in spite of the juglone.

Thank you so much for writing, it is great to hear from you, and nice to hear that one of my favorite trees is yours also.
sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Black walnuts/tin roofs Hemophobic 7 Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM
Work ahead... catmad 5 Nov 22, 2008 4:00 PM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America