Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter: Frost heave

Communities > Forums > Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for WinterReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 21, 2008
11:58 AM

Post #5815204

Toni: Your article about frost heave was most interesting, although generally in NC we don't have to worry about that. However, this may be one of those winters when we have more northern-like temps. We've already had several days of below freezing weather. This morning the northern half of NC is getting snow, not just in the mountains, and I just planted 3 expensive roses yesterday when it was 61. Now we're in for frigid temps and windy conditions.

Thank you for sharing this info with us.

Angie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5816827

Toni, why are evergreen boughs better than a thick mulch of leaves or straw?

Thanks for the article.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5817165

Toni, I was wondering the same thing! I have no ready access to evergreen boughs, but we've got our leaves, the neighbor's leaves, last year's leaves, the rest of the neighborhood's leaves ... leaves we have. Thank you for reminding me of this now instead of me having to hit myself over the head in April!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 5:32 PM
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5817514

My references stated that the evergreen boughs provide protection and keep the soil temperature from changing too quickly. There was no elaboration on this, but the author did say that mulch or pine bark would work, but not as well because of its density. I should probably dig a little deeper and see if I can find a more definitive reason. :o)

I think a significant layer of leaves surrounding the base of the plant would work just fine.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5818782

Okay, I got it, just had to think it through ... the evergreen boughs have 'air pockets' or spaces between the branches, thus they don't 'pack' densely like chips. So, straw would offer a similar protection. Leaves might work as well, or might not, depending on shape and if they have been run over with a mulching mower.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5819442

Darius, I'm thinking with the leaves thing that the larger ones (hence, more fluffy) would be better than mulched. We have industrial quantities of oak here, with leaves reaching 7 inches long. When they gather in a corner or against the fence, they provide a pretty good layer of insulation.

Certainly something to think about if one doesn't have evergreens handy, or doesn't want to cut them.

Wouldn't straw blow around?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5819863

Straw will blow a bit in strong winds, but the stalks tend to intertwine so most of it stays in place.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How late to mulch lizpadjen 2 Aug 23, 2009 11:04 AM
strawberries doone 1 Jan 11, 2010 4:19 PM
too late to mulch for me! binibusybee 0 Jan 11, 2010 4:33 PM
Haunt the Christmas tree lots keferraro 0 Nov 14, 2011 4:31 PM
Lost my broccoli to this! jmc1987 0 Nov 29, 2013 9:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America