Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: Nicely Done!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 6, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5815824

Good job, Diana, with information well-presented!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5816907

Thanks Darius :)

After learning about cushaw squash from you in a previous discussion and in your Dave's Garden article, I did buy some to try, but it went bad on me sooner than I expected. I left it inside unrefrigerated. I'm thinking it spoiled due to our unseasonably warm fall. I have been considering growing cushaw, butternut or possibly Sunshine hybrid next season.

Sunshine is supposed to grow a bit more compact that most squash, although it did ramble more than the catalog suggested for Linda, the grower of the ones pictured in the article. She said she will grow them again, just allow them a bit more space than she did this year. The year before, Linda grew a variety called Rumbo, I liked that too.

Have a Healthy and Happy Thanksgiving,
~Diana
Here is a photo of cushaw that was on display at A&M Farm and Garden Center in Robbinsville, NJ

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5816992

If I had to choose between butternut (I like Waltham's) or cushaw, I'd opt for butternut, as much for size (both fruit, and space to grow) as for taste. For a small household like mine, smaller winter squash equal less waste...

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5817257

Darius,

My friend, Johanna, has butternut growing in her NJ garden every year and it actually self sows for her. It really rambles all over the place, I don't know the cultivar she has.

Here is a photo of what she had growing this year. It was interesting to see the different stages of growth. She always gets a nice harvest to use in cooking and baking for her family. In fact, she kindly gave me one to roast up for a few pies :)

~Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5817340

Cool. I only had 2 hills this year, planted late. Therefore my harvest was slim. I guess I have a dozen or so out in the root cellar, plus I've eaten a few.

Last fall our Farmer's Market had a culinary school come one Saturday and they made a butternut squash soup... mirepoix base, chicken broth, a little smoked bacon and of course, cream. To my great surprise, I loved it... so I got the recipe.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5817637

That sounds good, I love butternut squash soup. You inspired me to look up my butternut squash soup recipes :) I haven't made it for so long, I'm going to have to make some asap; it is a real comfort food.

I don't think I really used a recipe the last few times I did make it, because as I'm thinking about it, I seem to recall experimenting with chicken broth rather than dairy. I didn't like it because the flavor of the chicken broth took over.

I do like a cream of butternut squash soup using 2% milk or believe it or not, a non-dairy soy milk. I do saute some chopped onion in butter, but try to avoid using bacon. My husband on the other hand, likes to add bacon to certain foods, I bet he would love your recipe.

If you make the soup often, for health reasons with fat in the cream, how about considering substituting 2% milk for the heavy cream and adding a potato or two and a little potato water? It is usually difficult to tell the difference once seasoned.

Here's to cooking with squash and/or pumpkin!
~DW
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #8228858

Wind;
I put both chicken broth and cream or half and half in my butternut soup, and the broth does not seem to take over at all. My family loves it (don't forget the onion or the poultry seasoning). Have you tried using both? Nope, I've not used milk because it has carbs and we are on this low carb diet for health reasons. .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
I love pumpkin! 3boysmother 6 Dec 3, 2010 9:01 AM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM
Roast pumpkin is delicious dalfyre 2 Nov 25, 2008 7:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America