Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: I love pumpkin!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 6, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3boysmother
Gilbert, AZ

November 21, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5815998

Great article! Thank you.
Our local grocery store actually gave away their leftover pumpkins the day after Halloween so I have several big ones that I am trying to figure out what to do with. My biggest problem was cutting them so I will try baking them first after reading your article. As a mother of young boys (and one husband) that avoid vegetables if they can get away with it, I have learned to puree pumpkin and butternut squash and sneak them into other things. This works great with anything made with tomato sauce, like spaghetti. I think, but I am not an expert, that it actually helps to thicken the sauce a bit and everyone seems to love the flavor! Same thing works with carrots too.
3boysmother

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5816942

Thanks for your kind words, it was fun making the pies to fine tune my recipe for the article.

Good luck and be careful cutting your pumpkins. I've always read and heard the large ones are not the greatest for eating because they are more on the stringy side. I hope yours will work out OK, it is certainly worth a try, the price was right :) Also, very good and creative on your part - adding some pumpkin or squash to other foods - to improve your families nutrition.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,
~Diana
3boysmother
Gilbert, AZ

December 5, 2008
4:38 AM

Post #5860409

I tried cooking the pumpkin before cutting and it worked great! The seeds came out too moist (I baked them with the cut pumpkin just to try it) and we did not eat them. The pumpkin (which was a large one) did seem somewhat stringy but I pureed it and it tasted great. Made many pies. My boys usually do not eat the pies at Thanksgiving, but they did this year! Thank you for the inspiration!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5862335

You're welcome :)

The hardest part to me is cutting the pumpkins. Someone can really get hurt if not cautious. I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Thanks for posting a follow-up.

Best Wishes for a Happy & Healthy Holiday Season!
~Diana
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8237802

For cutting pumpkins in half, why not use a saw or even better a tree bow saw. Slices right through them and the mess stays outside.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8241451

Sounds like a good idea, just be sure the blade is clean and sanitized before using it ^_^

Happy Gardening,
DW
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8242185

Certainly wouldn't want to use an old rusty saw!!!!! LOL
Rub it down with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or bleach.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Nicely Done! darius 6 Nov 24, 2010 12:25 PM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM
Roast pumpkin is delicious dalfyre 2 Nov 25, 2008 7:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America