-
AuthorContent
Methodical
Clinton, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #5818599

when you go from the cold outdoors to the warm in doors? You know like when your glass fog up.

Any tips is appreciated.

Thanks
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5819906

Depending on the size of the camera/lens combination you might try a large zip-lock bag before you bring it in. Also, if you have a lens cover, put it on while still outside. What both of these methods do is keep the warm air off of the lens until the lens warms up to the inside temperature. Anything to keep the air off of the lens. If you use a clear filter (which also protects your lens glass from damage), the fog is on the filter and not on the lens glass.

Actually, the reverse has been more of a "problem" for me, i.e. if I am driving with the air conditioning on and see something. If you stick the lens out the window or get out on a humid morning, the lens quickly fogs up and you're out of luck. No photo !!!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #5820053

There isn't much you can do except expose it to the air you will be shooting in for several minutes before your planned event. Going from an air conditioned room to a tropical environment will fog a lens quicker than anything and vice versa. A video camera is even worse because if the lens clears the internals may not. You may have to replace the tape too to get it to work again (that happened to me in Cancun).

I guess you could search for some anti-fogging agents to spray on your lens but I'm not sure you would want to this.
Methodical
Clinton, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5820982

Thanks for the tips.

How does the fog affect the internals?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5821132

Not exactly sure (Sony has some info on the subject but I doubt I could find it now) but I couldn't operate the tape. Then I remembered reading something in the manual about it but didn't have the manual with me. I swapped tapes and then it worked. Later on I could put the old tape back in and use it. That reminds me that if you have a camera bag then it is best to take the camera out of it so that it gets to the same temperature as the outdoors (or indoors). Take the lens cap off too so it reaches the same temp. Of course this only applies for sudden temperature swings.

PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5822773

Quoting:Methodical quoted:
How does the fog affect the internals?

Electronics and water don't go well together so it is recommended to let the temperature normalize so that the condensation can dissipate before powering up. Even better is to keep the equipment in a Ziplock bag until the temperature normalized as linthicum suggested above so that the condensation doesn't even occur in the first place.
Methodical
Clinton, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
7:42 AM

Post #5828802

I do have the clear UV lens protectors on all the lens, well except the 300. I need to get one now if that will help. I don't mind missing a shot as oppose to doing any harm to the lens.

Thanks for the insight. I will be cognizant when out and about.

Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America