Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 134 - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 165, Views: 1,574
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5820521

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/924979/

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 6:09 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5820642

The move is going well...The boys are loading the truck, and I am packing boxes...The Taynors and Jim took the big load from the shed down to the house...90% of it will be down there tonight...We will be here tomorrow to finish up, and do the cleaning...The one lady that bought the washer and dryer decided she wanted the fridge too, so she will get that tomorrow, which allows me to empty it out tonight and clean it in the morning...The upstairs is empty except for clothes in the closets, and they go tomorrow...Dining room set left this morning...nothing left to load but the living room and the kitchen table now...and that is in progress...

We will be sleeping in a warm house tonight...Yesssssssss!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5820911

Dusty, I am so happy for you!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5820914

Yeah Dusty
Its gonna be awfully lonely over here :(
Carolyn that is awful !!! my Gosh what kind of dr would do that ? how scary for you. sorry to hear you had to go through that. Lets hope that dr is not practicing anymore . Yikes.
well were all here at home . Left Dusty and the team around 5 ish. Got the kids ( no i didn't snag Lilly either Jim had a watchful eye on here ) LOL Looks like they will be warm tonight yeah !! cute house . Love it. Pond too . Yeah.
Chelle LOL on the bon bons . I got Oreo cookies now uhg.
ITs darn tooten cold out !!! wore my cartharts bibs and two jackets ! man was it cold. BRRRR
Darius sounds like its cold in your neck of the woods too :) brrrr 9 * yikes
take care
blessings to all
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5822117

Sue, please tell me you are eating those Oreos correctly!

Method one-take one naked cookie from each sandwich cream and eat. Double stack the cookies with the cream. Set aside until all naked cookies have been eaten, then enjoy the doubles!

Method two-get a big cold glass of milk, dip each cookie before biting. When finished eating cookies, drink the gray milk.

Method three is disgusting but enjoyed by children. Smash all the cookies up and drop into milk. Drink what you can, spoon eat the rest then leave the glass in the sink, allowing the cookies to dry so you can hear your parents scream the next day! LOL

Dusty, congrats on the move! Hmm, does Joyce have any more houses??

We are scrounging for breakfast food this morning. Thank goodness for that Budget Gourmet cookbook! Years ago, I used to make all the mixes in it then whip out stuff at will. We are out of the typical cereal and poptarts and had a few extra eggs (the others are for breakfast dinner). Last week I made the oat mix for dumplings and had leftovers. So we pulled out the BG cookbook and sure enough, there is a muffin recipe! That is what Kristenne is doing now.

We had fun last night at the "Meet the Teams" night. All the kids kicked in food items and the adults prepared them. So we all went for a free dinner, then watched the basketball teams and cheerleaders do cheer offs/skits and contests. Parents also did the contests and won Tshirts. Carly came home with a Tshirt for the spirit contest. The funniest contest was the "bat spin shooting contest". Contestants had to bend over, spin ten circles with their forehead on a bat, then run across the court and shoot. It was hysterical to watch them run across the court, looking drunk, then try to hit the basket!

Dear Carolyn, I cannot believe what you went through medically. I'm surprised someone besides you did not sue them or take their license! How ridiculous!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5822356

Oooh, I never thought about smashing Oreos in milk...That sounds delish.

I must have missed some posts on the last thread. Off to check it out again!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5822399

Cleaning the cups is not delish, especially the next morning! LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5822414

Soaky soaky. LOL

Carolyn, your experience with that doctor was horrific! Did you at least report her to the state medical board? If not, it's not too late. That's terrible!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5822554

Good morning all.
Carolyn, I'm with the rest of the gang...how horrible. Please tell us you did report her to the state medical board?????
Those state boards are there for a reason. I had an experience with an optometrist, where my new glasses simply did not work. When I told him this, he refused to remake them...and also refused to refund my money...so I could go elsewhere. Having been in the optometric field for years, I called the state board. I got results. I was given a FULL refund on the glasses...for which I was very thankful. My glasses are not cheap, since I have a very deep Rx, etc.
Well...the sun is shining here!! But still cold!
I am a little upset today though...so gonna vent on here. My DS and DIL asked me to bring pies for Thanksgiving. I said I would. Went over there yesterday to take some things to them, and her sister said, Well I bought my pies ...pumpkin and sugar cream! Well I just blurted out...I thought I was supposed to bring the pies???? DIL and her sis looked at each other...and DIL said..well can't have too many pies...and sister said...and yours will be homemade. Geesh! Am I wrong for feeling like it's a waste of time to make these pies???? I don't even want to now. And I don't want to bring pie home to eat for the rest of the year either!!
Ok..enough of that.
Not sure what is going on here today? I don't feel like staying home...so maybe we will find something to get into!
Dusty, hope you got to sleep in a warm house last night as planned!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5822639

Marcy, don't bring pies. Or...Bring humble pies so they have to eat 'em. ;)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5822661

I guess at this point, you ask if they still need pies or would rather have something else? Or put names on gift pies and fill them with Exlax? He he he I know you would never do that but I thought might make you chuckle.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5823007

Hi all...Only have a couple minutes before we unplug the wireless modem...We are back in Urbana, getting the last of the box items, our desks and tv, and the fish tank and all of the clothes...Yes, we had warm beds last night, and hot showers this morning in a WARM bathroom!!!

The boys are loading, and I am finishing up packing the kitchen...Not much left to go thankfully...

Will see you all later on I hope...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5823374

Marcy, that was definitely an awkward moment and I know your feelings were hurt, in addition to upsetting you. I agree with Chele...umh, the offer to bring something else, not the other suggestion. LOL! Please don't let your being upset about it ruin the hoilday dinner with your son.

It got up to a slightly chilly 52*, so was able to work outside a bit. Got the last of turnip greens cut and brought in to put in the freezer. Also got the last little bit of stuff, patio furniture, etc put away. Sure feels good knowing everything is put away neat enough that it will be easy to find and retrieve next spring. Kind of sad that the summer and growing season is officially over.

The leaf castings I did a few weeks ago turned out pretty good, in spite of a few points being broken off of some. Hopefully the others will survive the winter in the shed to be painted and available for sale next summer. The damaged ones will be used for practicing the painting on and then tucked into the flower beds.

Well, I have a bushel basket of greens to deal with...I think it's hubby's turn to cook. He just doesn't know it yet! Have a good night All!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5823635

I'm taking a short break... thought I'd check-in or check-up...

It's been a decent day here, apparently the last one for a few days. Unfortunately I didn't get to work outside except to cut plywood to finish my shelving. Of course I'm still short some materials, thus not finished. The better grade sheets are SO expensive and only half the quality they were just 10 years ago. I prefer Baltic Birch, 7 ply or more for shelving... Rotsa Ruck finding any.

A large chunk of my time was spent doing electric work. All my elec. tools are over in my storage unit, so it was like butchering a cow with a pocket knife. BUT it is done, and much safer than before.

For the first time since spring, I filled the bird feeders. That is, all but one... it's a platform feeder hanging in a tree which my younger cat can climb.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5824225

Sorry guys...I shouldn't have blown off that way over pies! Of course I will make them...and sister can take HERS home to eat...lol! I know my boys will want to eat my homemade ones over hers...as well as my husband. It was just the idea..ya know?? I can't even imagine why DIL would have told both of us to bring pies????
I am also taking a couple of pumpkin rolls, cranberry salad, and homemade rolls. It will all be fine...but thanks for your input.
Chele...you DID make me chuckle...Kimberley too.!!
I am not usually this touchy about things. Guess my weakened condition has made me this way.
My DIL may be upset because I said I wasn't up to making turkey cutout cookies this year with the kids. We always do that...for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I hate to disappoint them, but don't think I have the stamina for it. If it was just Ashley, I would be ok...but she isn't allowed to come without Dawson. He isn't even interested in making cookies...just wants to eat them!!! He is too flighty right now for me to handle. Maybe by Christmas we can do it again.
Well...I am going to go read my book and then to bed. Have a great night all!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5824281

Marcy , i would be hurt too. Yeah be the better person and ask what else can i bring and make it a point it will be home made not a store bought LOL. But of course that would ruffle feathers more , yeah i know . Lord there are days my MIL is like Marie on Everybody loves Ramon show . I bite my tongue until it bleeds !!!! just to keep the peace.
Chelle Dh didn't get Double Stuff can you imagine !!! what was he thinking ? its just crazy . So i do the first one you do . LOL but just dunk in milk until soft and mucha way. Not good for my diet but sheesh i gave that up last week. It just aint happening for me.
darius i sure could have used you here today . Dh was trying to help me with my GH Putting in the door frame. Hmmm i asked him why he was doing it like that and he just gave me the look " i know what i m doing " . His carpentry skills are well ... lacking to say the least. LOL He is all heart though so can't complain i guess. :) he finaly did it the way i explained . He thought i wasn't looking . But i was.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5824388

HI guys, Just a quick check in. THinking Marcy that perhaps her sister just volunteered to bring pies cause she has a crazy schedule and store bought pies were the best she could do? You can always bring your pies over here.. (grint, hint)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5824417

OR Bake US pies!

Let's have a vote people...
Can Marcy make pies for all of us? Yes or No?

Ric
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5824438

YESSS!! Cherry, please. lol Or maybe they just thought they were imposing when they asked you to bring them, Marcy, so that's why they bought them. But they should have talked to you first. I agree, just let it go and enjoy the holiday with your loved ones.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5824614

Hi, everybody,
I went to the By Hand craft show at Cincinnati Convention Center yesterday. Smallish show, but glad I went as a couple artists that I buy from every year (usually at Winterfair next weekend) are only coming to this show, not WInterfair. It was nice to be able to browse and talk to the artists without being crunched by crowds, but there wasn't quite as much variety as at WInterfair. Oddly, they didn't have anyone working at coatcheck. I can stuff mine into my scooter basket, but who wants to stroll around in their winter coats indoors?
In any case, I got some fused glass suncatchers, a large timer in an arts & crafts type wooden case, lots of functional & fun ceramics, a whimsical Christmas tree that is handknitted, & a couple pieces of jewelery (made from sawdust ?!?). Oh, and 2 picture frames made from reclaimed wood-- one pear and one ash. Now I need to get back to needlepointing or one of my Christmas gifts will not get done until Easter!

Marcy, abt the pies, in the words of my grandmother, "I feel sorry for people like that." Of course, she said that with tones that implied that she thought the persons involved should be sent back to pre-school. Hmm, maybe a romper room theme for the next holiday gathering?
CHeers,
Pat
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #5824690

No, I never reported anything. I had planned to but my mental state was not well for quite a while afterwards. By then she had moved away and I figured it was too late. It has been 5 years now. I heard she had moved to either pike county or pikeville, i'm not sure anymore. So if you ever come across a family member talking about a gynocologist by the name of Dr. Tina Gaunt, warn them.

I wish I had done something then.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
5:53 AM

Post #5825029

Hello all!
Just got back from the first Christmas craft night and I'm sipping some good pumpkin egg nog. I may have made a mistake with the theme of the tree this year. I decided to do Victorian using burgundy, crystal, white, pearl and lace. I found them to be way to expensive to buy so decided to make my own. Those are hard ornaments to make! I only completed 3 large kissing balls and got the lace snowflakes cut out. Each ball was covered with 70 mini rose buds and each had to be applied by hand. They look great, but I am glad they are done. I am going to make more kissing balls, but smaller. These are 5 inches across. I did also at least get the pattern for the velvet covered balls. It is really hard. You want to see the glass underneath, so you have to cut 4 diamond shaped panels out of the velvet and put it on just so. Then edge with lace trim. I always get these bright ideas! All kidding aside I can't wait to get the tree up. I want it up before this weekend when the whole family comes for thanksgiving dinner. We will see.
George

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5825399

Good morning
WOW Geo , you t he man . Making your own ornaments . YOu are so creative.
Just a quicky check in
Marcy i vote yes on the pies . Course i will have to compare my pies to yours . Muwahahahah .
Got to run to the kids school to voluntteer . Gee i hope i don't start to cry and have a hormone attack whilest I m there. That would not be good. Had awful dreams last night. Uhg. Couldn't sleep.
check you later
sue
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5825720

Sue...you said you were bringing pie for "everyone"...where's mine??? What am I chopped liver????? :-)

Marcy it's a yes for me on pies too. Cookies aren't the ONLY thing I eat ya know.

So happy to have neighbors. Jim said he loved the place, and I said I think you'll be happy here. Dogs are a hoot! Love that little one, too. She's a snuggler. Kitty is adorable and I'm thinking Jim is pretty partial to her...

Hope you all have a wonderful day. Waving to all!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5825802

Goodmorning! :-D

It's 50* and is raining here and from the looks of the garden pond, has been most of the night. Rain is expected all day.

Marcy, no problem on the venting. Better here than with DIL. At least in this case!

Count me in on the pies...as well as the victorian decorations. LOL! They sound beautiful, George!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5825864

Good morning!!!

Just checking in and reading up on pies ornaments and the gynecologist from you know where.

Not much going on up here. Just saying hey!!!!

TTYL

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5826046

LOL...you guys!!! That's a LOT of pies...to feed you all!!!! Well see...my pumpkin recipe makes two pies...my sugar cream makes two pies...so Dave said well take one of each and freeze the other two. Now I have to look see if those kind can be frozen? I also wanted to make an apple pie for me...lol! Oh...and a pecan for my eldest son.
Anyway...I will not mention it to DIL and her sister...but have to wonder why DIL told sis to bring pies too. My son ...who will be doing the cooking...asked ME to bring pies. Strange situation. DIL doesn't cook...BTW. Oh...and whomever said maybe sis had a busy schedule? I don't think so! She doesn't work...and doesn't do much of anything!! Has one little boy in school. Ok...shut up Marcy...LOL!!!
George those ornaments sound beautiful!!
Sue, I am sure your pies are wonderful!! Bring some over and we'll test them!!! LOL!!! JUST TEASING!!!!
Well it's back to therapy today...and then to Wallyworld to take back mini blinds that don't fit! I am making Dave go with me today.
Then home to maybe make my rolls and put them in the freezer.
Hope you all have a great day in the neighborhood!! Waving~~~~~~~~~~~ to ALL!!!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5826209

LOL well maybe her cooking skills are subpar. I used to be cake challenged. never could make a good cake. I have that down now but remain banana bread challenged. THough my last batch was pretty good.. hmm.. It just shows there is hope if you keep trying
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5826435

I'm getting pretty good at banana bread, as we often have overripe bananas around. I found a good sugar-free recipe for my diabetic mother, using Splenda.
Marcy, Kroger had 12 ounce bags of pecan halves on sale for $3.99 a couple days ago; you may want to check if they are still on sale, if you are going to make a pecan pie.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5826451

Oh, Oh, Oh... .Marcy!!!! I had sugar cream pie once at an out of the way Amish place that has since closed. I would love to have a recipe for that if you would feel like sharing. I tried a couple recipes for it that I found online, but they were not good. Blech! It did however, lead me to a good plain custard pie recipe. We skip the pie part and just make the custard in cups, it was so good.

Just taking a minute to read before flying out the door to work!

Waving to all! ~~~~~~~~

Jules

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5826557

All this talking about pies is making me hungry! I have a chocolate cream pie in the fridge,...but I dont do chocolate so the hubby will get the pounds from that one. This week I plan on making peanut butter pie and sweet potatoe pie with homemade pecan caramel topping. Those are two of my favorites.

My hubby wants me to make a Boston cream pie or cake but I have never made either of them. Anyone have a good recipe for this? I hate making something new and wondering if the recipe is good or not. There are a lot of bad recipes in cookbooks out there. I hate to waste ingredients on something sub-par!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5826641

George... you ARE taking ornament photos to post for us, aren't you?

Carolyn, I love Boston Cream Pie but have never made one... even gave up buying them since quality has gone down. The secret, according to my cooking elders (sadly now all gone) is a GOOD cake base, and a GOOD custard. Of course, a decent chocolate glaze helps! I wouldn't bother with a recipe, as I'm sure you make a good cake and a good custard.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #5826772

Ooo, Carolyn, would you care to share that sweet potato pie recipe? mmmm
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5827246

Carolyn, I have made many Boston Cream Pies...but sadly, mine aren't like Darius' would be! I use a yellow cake mix...bake it...slice into two layers. Then I make cooked vanilla pudding...cool it complelely. and spread between the layers and on top. Then I make a chocolate glaze that I found in a cookbook...and if you want that...I will have to go look it up...lol. I think it's made with chocolate chips. It's been a while since I've made one...but it is Dave's favorite fruit!!! You do want a glaze though...so it will run down the sides of the cake.
Jules...I will be glad to share my sugar cream pie recipe. There used to be a restaurant in Greenville called Gersheu's (sp?) It was run by a man named George...and I have his recipe for sugar cream pie. It was well known all around our area as being the best!! It is good!And you are so right...there is sugar cream...and there is sugar cream!! Some are awful! Like right now...there is a restaurant in Greenville that serves sugar cream pie...and it is just like glue!! LOL! Nasty stuff!
Ok...my supper is ready (chili tonight with corn muffins). I will post the recipe when I get back.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5827293

Marcy, cool super easy recipe! Will be making that very soon! Umh!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5827489

Marcy Oh waiting on that recipe for sure on the sugar cream pie.
Carol Boston cream is an easy one to make. I did alot of them in school . I will try and see if i can get my recipe out and share it with you guys. So far no one has died from it . :)
I agree with Darius we need pics of the ornamanets Geo. They sound wonderful
Dusty is offline for awhile until she can get up and running. They are in the new house. Jim is enjoying the warm house. So are the dogs.
Joyce you mean Dusty didn't share ? gee better go talk to her on that one . :) I think the men inhaled it , she said " a vacum couldn't get it down faster than my boys " l Think she is just being nice , I 'll take it. LOL :)
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5827622

Ok...here is George Gershew's sugar cream pie recipe. It makes two pies.
1 cup white sugar
5 Tlb. flour
dash of salt
1 cup half and half
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
nutmeg or cinnamon for dusting on top

Mix sugar, flour, and salt together. Mix half and half, whipping cream, and egg yolks and vanilla together. Gradually add sugar mixture to the liquid mixture, stirring well. I use a whisk. Pour into two unbaked pie shells...9 inch. Sprinkle nutmeg or cinnamon on top...your preference. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.
It may not look like it is 'set', but take it out of oven after 1 hr...it will set up as it cools. Keep refrigerated.

I also have another sugar cream pie recipe that I like, but will have to look for it. It requires 3 different baking temps. You switch the temps without opening the oven door! It worked! And was good too!!
I will look for it.
Oh shoot Renee'!! I just bought pecans ...16 oz. for 5 something at Wallyworld.! But thanks for telling me!! That's a good price.!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5828175

Well I had a Dusty Day.

About 10 AM I got a call to bring a gear over to the main plant. (14 miles away)
No big deal though we did have a bit of snow on the ground.
From there I was told I needed to make two deliveries.
(I normally don't do deliveries but w/ the rain we couldn't use the flatbed.
AND our normal driver is off on Vacation.)
So I ended up going in our 20 year old Box Truck.
I drove for years but haven't had a truck on the HWY in 20 years.
NOT Fun! LOL!
First a fairly local stop right by Jugle Jim's...
then way farther north up I-75 to Vandalia.
The whole trip I saw traffic backing up deeper and deeper southbound...
So after I finished run I went cross country.
Since I grew up in that area I know the back roads and took the smaller rural HWY's home.
(75S-70E-675-235 to Xenia then 42-48-71-275)
Maybe a half hour longer... but probably actually quicker w/ the traffic problems.
Cross winds were a bear though!
I'm REAL familiar w/ that truck now! LOL!

I actually got back just before the bell... but had to babysit an operator until 6...
Since I didn't get lunch...an 11 hour day...
But OT is never a bad thing for the paycheck!
Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5828451

Pout, pout, sniff, sniff, big pouty lower lip. I lost you all. Was wondering why nobody was posting, and it was me out of the loop. I feel better now.

Marcy, take your pies, and when they choose yours over hers, try not to gloat too much. Homemade is so much better than the store bought ones.

Dusty good on the moving, you seem to have people waiting in the wings to help. Where were all those people when I last moved? I did 95% of it myself, that is why I am never moving again.

George, wonderful descriptions of the ornaments, now you just have to give us some pics to show us your finished projects.

Joyce, as DH says, if it has sugar in it, it has to be good!!

Sue, haven't you learned never to criticize a male doing any kind of work? lol. Glad that you are getting some help.

Carolyn DH had a medical situation similar, which put his life in jeopardy, and added another 6 weeks to his hospital stay for recovery. I folllowed the Dr. into an elevator, because he had been avoiding me, and I told him, that if DH lived, he was home free, but if he died, I would own his house, car and any other assets that he had. Then requested that he be removed from the team of Dr's treating my DH. I wish now that we had filed suit against him, he would be practicing in Timbucktu!! He inserted a chest tube improperly, on a late Saturday evening (probably had plans for that night) and didn't do an xray to see if it was properly position, and DH almost bled to death!!

goshsmom, sounds like you hit a good craft show, and have much to prove it. Glad that you got some gifts, and maybe some for personal use.

Jazz, you kind sweet soul, providing excuses for the pie debacle. BTW, how are the little terrorists doing?

Ric, knowing surrounding roads and lay out of the land, is sure a blessing some times. Glad that you were able to avoid the traffic snarl. Overtime this time of year is great. More to spend on Christmas, whether for you or for some relatives.

Robin, glad you called tonight. Didn't realize that I had imposed banishement on myself. Thanks for the head's up on that.

Hey Toni, ~~~ to you frantically from Kentucky, a wet and miserable day. Although the weather liars are saying snow tomorrow.

I stayed in today, except for a quick trip to the bank and post office, and got a stack of bills paid, and some check books balanced, and had satellite signal problems which prevented me from checking in on DG. Just reinforces the thought I had recently had, need to step away from the computer more often, I am real productive those days I don't have service.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5828572

Hey all!
I need help with something. I am making a sweet potato casserole for thanksgiving. A friend brought one to our harvest dinner and I loved the filling. Didn't like the pecan topping. Can someone give me the recipe for the crumb top with chopped pecans in it? The one I had that I really liked had a kinda apple strudel topping and thats what I would like on mine.

I went tonight and have all my stuff for my thanksgiving dinner. They better be hungry when they come. I am in the mood to cook and planned a huge dinner. Thanks again Bonnie for the jam cake recipe.

Tomorrow night is sewing/craft night at another friends house. I am determined to learn to sew with a machine! My mom taught me basic hand stitches, but that takes too long. This week I am going to mend my manly robes. Next week curtains. I finally broke down and decided to do rooster/chickens in my kitchen. Went to blue lick battle field today and bought a couple of pieces from their gift shop. That is really a nice place. It is way out of the way from me, but not from Lexington or paris. Nice drive with lots of dry laid stone fences and big ole manor houses on the drive.

You know me. As soon as I get some more ornaments done I will post pics. I went and got more trim and a low temp glue gun today(can't use high temp on glass). My friend who is hosting the ornament craft nights is making chandelier ornaments. They are all hand beaded. I will also get pics of those for you all. They are gorgeous! I really love that 2 separate friends are going to have craft nights that i can go to twice a week.(they don't get along so can't have them together) It really helps the winter go by and is great fun. We always bring treats and drink coffee until we are shaking! Wait until you all see my tree topper. It by itself holds 50 white lights. hehehe

Well better run. The water pump is out of the van and we ordered it online and have to take it to the mechanic in the morning.
George
Marcy thanks for that cream pie recipe. That may also go on my thanksgiving table. Glad it makes 2. If I screw it up the puppies can have the other one!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5828703

Marcy I am going to try that recipe. I have never heard of a sugar cream pie before today.

Darius, I was wondering what type of cake and custard is in a good Boston cream? For the cake is it a sponge, chiffon, basic yellow? And for the cream is it like a French custard or light like an Italian one? I have pretty good recipes for both from the CIA but am just not sure which to use. As for the glaze I still have some imported chocolate from Belgium that should be pretty good. Should it be a dark chocolate say around 55% or a lighter one like milk chocolate?

Geez, I need to travel more and eat the world so I know how to cook better! lol

Bonnie, I understand what you mean. I wish I could do the same thing now but my lawyer said the statute of limitations runs out after 2 years on medical issues unless they is an on going problem.
At the time my devil of an x seen that I was having mental problems due to the loss and decided to go in for the kill. He took me to court and tried to take custody of my oldest away due to my depression. He lost the battle of course but the fight went on for nearly a year! Back then I could not afford to pay for more than one court battle at a time, and honestly I couldn't have handled the stress.

I have talked to others in my area that was butchered by this woman but they were too scared to take it to court. It is not a fun place to be especially when the wounds go more than skin deep. Most times it is easier to just put it behind you and move on.
I just hope that someday she gets what she deserves!

Kywoods, I would be glad to share the recipe. Please Dmail me your email addy and I will send you the file from my book. Same goes for anyone else who would like it.

Hope you all have a great Turkey Day if I don't talk to you before then. The next couple days will be quite crazy around here but I will try to stop in.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 11:40 PM
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5829058

George. when you say apple steursel do you mean that it actually had apples in it> I ask because we had out Tday get together this last week with Joel's side and my SIL made a sweet potato think and when it was cooking it smelled like apple struesel..mmmmm... SOmeone asked her if it had apples in the topping but I didn't hear the answer.. (I didn't try it because I don't do sweet potatoes in that form) But there was a ton of food and desserts and it was gone if that tells you anything.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5829103

For George. Different toppings:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1838,145170-246193,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,147172-242192,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,151175-245194,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1850,147170-244193,00.html

There are more on there and most of these are very similar if no the same.

This one is slightly different.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1850,146168-247193,00.html

Sweet potato streusel squares?
http://www.bigoven.com/125719-Sweet-Potato-Streusel-Squares-recipe.html

Crumb topping mix:
http://artofhacking.com/aohfood/00000/00110-crumbtoppingmix.htm

Crumb topping for fruit pie:
http://artofhacking.com/aohfood/02000/02345-crumbtoppingforfruitpie.htm

More sweet potato casserole, scroll down.
http://artofhacking.com/aohfood/category/0525-TOPPINGS.HTM

It just depends how you search.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5829115

This is my favorite pumpkin pie! The bottom half is pumpkin pie and the top half is pecan pie. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFull.aspx?RecipeID=39168&servings=8
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 25, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5829171

Goodmorning! The sun is shining here, which always make for a great day!

George, I am so envious of all your get-togethers with friends. Sounds like so much fun! Anxiously wating for pics of your ornaments.

I spent some time in the little shed yesterday where I have my collected seeds drying. Don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I am managing to seperate the seeds of some. On one of the forums, someone posted a link of what seeds look like for different plants. Pretty helpful for those of us who are less experienced.

Carolyn, sounds like you came through the whole trauma pretty well. I agree, sometimes it's best to just put it behind you and move on.

Bonnie, my pleasure! I was just worried because you were MIA for so many days. And thanks again for the seeds!

Enjoy the day, Everyone!

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5829343

Chele, that pie sounds wonderful. Ooh, it's snowing, but the flakes are tiny. There's a little sticking on the grass.

Mom and I went to the JC Penney Outlet Store in Columbus yesterday. They had so many great deals! I'd gotten a coupon in the mail offering 25% off my purchase on 11/24. I found two pair of pants, a cute black fleece hoodie with a trio of snowmen embroidered on one side of the front (for work!), two tops for me, two flannel dress shirts and one long-sleeved polo for Howie, four white stoneware salad bowls from the returns room, plus a "deluxe breakfast set" of plastic toy food and such for my friend's little girl. For all that, the bill was only $111 after the discount -- I saved $37 thanks to the coupon. Woot! I could have gone crazy in there with all the nice things they had, but I stuck to things we really needed and I hadn't been able to find at the thrift stores.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5829365

George, LaComedia is known for their sweet potato casserole and they have the recipe for it on their website. I like sweet potato casserole, but I've never made it.

Yes, Dusty and Jim are in. We're "almost" out. Yesterday should have finalized it, but we didn't want to move the antiques from the office in the rain. So today should see that finished. I surely hope they'll be happy there.

Always lurking, so behave yourselves...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5829600

Hey everyone...good morning!!! Hope all that try the pie...like it! Here is the recipe I first made, before I got Gershew''s recipe. It is really good too...maybe equal???
Sugar Cream Pie
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour, leveled off
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup half and half
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix your dry ingredients together with a wisk. Then add cream and half and half, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon and bake at the following temps. 425 degrees for 15 minutes...325 degrees for 10 minutes...and 350 degrees for 25 minutes. While baking at these different temps...DO NOT open oven door! Set timer!! After last timing, test with a toothpick. If mixture clings to it and looks thick, pie is done. If still thin, bake 6-7 minutes longer.

I know all these diff temps sound strange...but I have made it several times and it works???????? And it was very good!! No eggs in this one either. Enjoy!
Still have to find the chocolate glaze recipe...but it is upstairs in a cookbook. I haven't climbed all those stairs yet!! So have to have Dave go up and get it...or at least be with me when I go up. ( I can climb stairs!)
Carolyn, they say what goes round..comes round!! That dr will surely find that out!
Bonnie, I missed you!! Wondered where you were, but just never thought you had lost us...lol!!! Glad you are back!
Well...going to make rolls today...and cranberry salad. Will do pies tomorrow.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day...the sun is shining here right now. Hope it stays!!!

Edited to say...I'm not sure if the above recipe makes two pies or one???? Might want to have an extra crust ready in case!!! Or custard cups?

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 10:51 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5829665

I'm glad to hear things are going well for Dusty and Jim, that Marcy's a walking champion, and Ric still knows how to drive!

Carolyn, I think the cake is simply your preference. It's like tasting something for the first time... if you don't know what it tastes like, you have no frame of reference. Personally, I'd do more of a butter cake with some texture and a custard that is fine and silky. Dark or semi-sweet chocolate would really set it off. (hey, I sound like I know what I'm talking about, don't I? LOL!!)

It has been snowing hard off and on all morning but it's just warm enough not to accumulate much. I did manage to get most of my pantry moved yesterday... even set up my baker's rack, water cooler and coffee pot in the new pantry. Now all I "need" is a good 2 burner hot plate and refrigerator and I can stay out of the kitchen except for baking! Of course all my pots, pans, appliances, etc. are in the kitchen or the outside pantry... speaking of that, I need to fetch my BIG pot and start to brine my turkey.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5830421

Thanks Michelle and Joyce!
Now off to start looking at sites and links.
George

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5831050

Geo you cant ever go wrong iwth Paula Dean and her sweet potato casserole LOL
Hey gang just a quick one
Bonnie glad your back :)
volunteered at my kids school and all i can say is " so many kids and so many nose pickers " ack !!! just gross.
than laid in bed just didn't feel like doing anything. Watched Oprah and i love Dr Oz great stuff today. They talked about people who live beyond 100 and stay healthy. Just proves my point on food and how it controls our health. Porta Rico , Japan ,Italy and one place in CA Loma LInda ? where people are called the Blue Cirlcles. Walking , eating unprocessed foods , and a routine iwth a purpose for life is the key. There was a 95 yr old man who still was a practicing heart surgeon. WOW. Religion had a role in it too.
Neat stuff.
not much here
I wan't to go see the movie Austalia ! anyone want to go with me ?
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5831070

my fav for sweet potato casserole
http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/sweet_potato_bake/
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5831152

That looks really good Sue! No one would eat it here but me! No one in my family likes sweet potatoes, except I do get Dave to eat a baked one now and then.
Well...I have made a pecan pie, Brioche rolls, and am working on the cranberry jello salad. Have to let it jell a bit, then add my pineapple, mandarin oranges, apples, celery and pecans. The whole cranberry sauce is already in the jello, along with a touch of cinnamon.
Tomorrow after therapy...my LAST one...yayyyy!! I will make the sugar cream, pumpkin, and another kind of dinner roll. Also MAYBE...an apple pie...if I hold up that long...lol!
Dave went up and got my cookbook for the glaze recipe. It's 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 Tlb. corn syrup, and 1 Tlb. water. It says to melt over hot water, but I do it in the microwave. Just make sure you do it on a low power...a little at a time.
Well...I am pretty tired tonight. I have been sleeping pretty well..until last night again. I think I only had about an hour altogether. Not enough! Hopefully I will sleep better tonight!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5831493

Hi Y'all...I'm finally HOOOOME!!
We have the wireless modem hooked up so we can get back online, but still no TV and no Phone till Dec 4th unless I buy a splitter and some cable for the TV...

Gotta get Cookie over here this weekend to show me how to make the salt water for this monster tank...When we got here Saturday, the one light on it had an issue, and I stuck my hand in the water and it was ice cold...The heater had come unplugged somehow so I got that plugged in and going on and Sunday was rewarded with a Tang appearing that we thought was likely dead...I got him some food in there, and he ate like a little pig...Hopefully we got to it in time, so that the reef is not damaged...

I crashed and burned in my chair yesterday at 4pm, made supper, did 3 loads of laundry and took a hot shower and hit my rack early to be ready for work today...
This poor house looks like a tornado hit it with a vengeance...We had alot of stuff in boxes out on the patio, and it rained Sunday night, so some of it got wet, but nothing urgent or undryable...The boys headed home at noon Monday because of the weather in MI...They already had 18 inches of the white stuff and it was still coming down, so I ran them off...
Jim and I had to get the last of the things on the patio brought in before it got cold enough to freeze the rain water...Once that was done, so were we...I was wiped out for sure...
Sunday was by far the worst day of the move, and the most stressful, but it is behind us now thankfully...We are safe, we are warm as last and we are HOME...
Thanks to the Taynors, I didn't have to make a 3rd trip with the truck, and that was a monster help...I am deeply grateful to them both for that...
Sue brought an apple crisp pie, and the boys inhaled it...LOL They each got a fork and dug in...then they went to spoons to clean the pan...
I guess it was good Sue...I have no clue either way...I didn't even get to smell it...LOL

Soooo Bro Ric...How ya like *Truckin* in Dayton area????...ROFLLLL
The downtown I-75 construction causes that on a daily basis in both directions...When I go to Sidney from the VA in the morning, I will go up North Dixie to 40 in Vandalia and over to 75 then up...
Misses all that cwap...I also use 70 west to 49 and down...Me and my Wheelie use alot of surface streets to avoid all that traffic...and believe me, I have less mileage and make better time...

Speaking of time...I need a shower and my rack...Gotta be up at 4am, so I'm outta here...~~~~~~~~~~ to all...Have a wonderful day tomorrow...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5831517

Marcy congrats on that last therapy!

I'm not much of a sweet potato eater either... but I do like SP Pie!

Today was a nice change!
I drove the 3 year old stake bed truck... think a Denali Cab on a Truck.
Automatic 5 speed, dual heaters, tilt wheel, fully auto seats, 6 speaker stereo...
Same run as yesterday... back in 4 hours... then out again... lol!

I did see what was left of what appeared to be a tanker truck wreck at the bottom of Cookie's Exit.
This was about 1 PM...

Tomorrow is Robyn's baking day...so I picked up the supplies today...
I'll pass on making the bread and rolls til Christmas...

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5831624

Evening all, I went out today to Christmas shop and to look at entertainment centers. Well found a pretty entertainment center, but not willing to pay what they wanted for it. I am tempted to get some concrete blocks, put a pice of wood on that, and a cloth over all of that an call it an entertainment center. There is not $50 of wood in these things and they want an arm and a leg for them. Bah humbug.

Did manage to buy 1 Christmas gift, at this rate, I will be done shopping on Jan 15th!!

One of the best letters to the editor I have ever see was in our Metro edition of the Courier Journal. From a lady who said in essence, the government is mostly run by men, the corporations are mainly run by men, in order to right the economy, give those decision making positions to women, afterall they have been running households for decades on a shoestring budget. Makes sense to me. Any volunteers to head up this organization to recruit capable women for these jobs?

Marcy yahoo, only 1 more PT. Girl you rock. Now take care that you don't overdo tomorrow!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5832697

I am sitting in a body shop waiting on my car. Last week I hit a huge raccoon and it did a lot of damage. Broke several parts at the front left and underneith.

Typing on phone so won't write a book.

Wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Marcy for the pie recipes. They sound great. I may just try one this weekend. Mom is making pumpkin tomorrow and cinnamon doesn't agree with me any more so I won't be having dessert. But she makes a cranberry jello salad that is almost like dessert so
I won't suffer! LOL

I want to wish everyone a great holiday if I don't get a chance to post again today. It will be just my Mom and I - we just don't have family left except my aunt in St. Louis. My ex has to work or we would have him over for dinner as he has no one either. But, it is kind of nice to only have just the two of us. We will have a small turkey and a few sides. Then put up the Christmas tree later in the day. Mom loves the tree and so a couple years ago we started putting it up Thanksgiving weekend.

Waving to all!

Jules

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5832842

Marcy congrats on the last therapy session. Weeeee. Wow on all the pies and breads you are making. Brioche rolls ! ? oh lucky i don't know where you live or i may just be on my merry way on over there to get me some of them pies and rolls you got going on Girl !!!
Ric what is Robyn cooking up ? those wonderful cookies of hers ?
Dusty you are to kind. We didn't do all that much but thank you for the kind words. Glad the pie went over well. Cookie says she wants pie too , i will bring over pie next time i m over there. :) but it is getting to be fruit cake season so i might be baking alot of them.
Bonnie to funny . Ha.
Jules yikes on the racoon. Geez how much damage did it do ? that must have been one big raccon.
T went to the Dr finaly !! but just for his foot. ITs a start. I told him " if you don't get a physical by the end of Dec , then i m getting FAT again " hmmm i think it worked.
Friday we are off to Georgia for 3 days.
got to pack up everyones suitcases , then do a turkey dinner , then all food gets vac and sealed , and clean up house , do laundry and head out about 6 am Friday . Think i will make it ? NOT...kids will be lucky if i remember underwear for them HA !
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5832976

Hi everybody,
Taking a computer break between baking- I've got a sweet potato spice cake in the oven now, and will soon start pie crusts. I wanted these pies to be special, so I got some lard this time :-)

Bonnie, I received the seeds, thank you so much! Such a fun assortment of heirlooms- I'm really looking forward to veggie gardening next spring.

Dusty, glad the move is done and you can be settled for the holidays.

Marcy, way to go on the PT!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5833000

You're welcome on the recipes. Let me say one thing. I went to make the sugar cream this morning...george gershew's recipe. It says it makes two 9 " pies. Well..they must be very shallow pies, because I used 9" glass pie plates..regular size..not deep dish...and had to pour all of it into one!
Anyway...saying hi...and gotta run...important things to do...lol. Talk later!!!!!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5833106

If I don't get back, I wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful for all of you! My cyberspace family! :-)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5833361

Hey everybody,

Made it to Monterey in one piece. Gonna spend the day cooking. Doing the whole bird thing.

Gonna be back in Cleveland next Tuesday.

Happy Turkey Day!!

Toni
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5833671

Hey Neal I need that Sweet potatoe spice cake recipe...Gotta have it!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5833738

Hi folks...sorry I had to run off the way I did. DS called and asked if we had sent the paper back on our insurance thing. We had not. He said if we didnt get it in by the 30th we would not have ANY insurance through hubby's workplace!!! Well..today is the 26th...tomorrow and Friday are holidays...Sat and Sun are weekend...and no one there...so it had to be sent TODAY..!!!! And he reccommended we send it Next day express! I called the POffice...and they wanted 14.65 to send it!!!! Just one lonely envelope!!! To Illinois! Then I happened to see a fax number! Yayyyyy!! Went to the library and faxed it...so that worked!!!! Whew!! Need to read things when they come!!!
Well..seems every time I sit down here to send a msg...the phone rings!! And now my pie is done...buzzer going off.! If I don't get back, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #5833760

Here ya go Jazzy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sweet-potato-spice-cake-recipe/index.html

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5834267

well i got most of the laundry done. Got to the grocery just hope i didn't foget anything. House is cleaned . I took a fat burner for some energy. HA.
here is my idea , tell me if you all think it will work.
cook green beans in a crock pot with a smoked ham hock, onion and bacon. Maybe 6 hrs ? I was just going to use water for the liquid. Hmm i got turkey broth ? could use that. YOu think that would be good ?
hope you all have a good weekend.
happy thanksgiving everyone
Hey Toni your in CA? Monterey !!! my old stomping grounds girl. Lucky ducky you. If you see Clint Eastwood tell him i say "HEY" :)
blessing to you all
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5834365

Evenin everyone!!! Hope you are all getting plenty of rest tonight to be able to heave all those forks full of food tomorrow!!! LOL
I came straight home from Sidney...didn't even fuel the Wheelie...I'm off Friday because the VA is closed for appts, so she gave me my Mason guy for the 6am Sat dialysis... He will be done in Middletown at 11:15, so I will come home (1 exit north) until he is ready, then get him back home...He was delighted to see me this morning, after about 3 months of not...I'm off til Tuesday, as I need Monday to go to Columbus for business...Fast trip, and hopefully home in time to get a few more things done around here and rest up a bit for next week...

Tomorrow and Friday and the rest of Saturday and Sunday will constitute me busting my hinnie around here getting things unpacked, sorted out and put away...and some things repacked properly in the new bins, as there is no shelving, or china cabinet to put them...They can go down in the basement for storage...
Every single plant that owns me is growing great guns, and a few I inherited from Cookie...LOL
Tomorrow is going to be drenching and feeding day for all of them...
Geo...My silly Fairy is still growing...What on earth am I to do with her??? 4 rosebushes in a huge tub, still with leaves...Amazes me after all the weird weather up there...
Bro Bill and Tony brought the dog pen up to the house for us, and Jim rigged up a VERY temp run from the back door to the gate of the pen so all we have to do is open the door and shoo em out...I had a fiasco this morning trying to get them all out without chasing down escapees...
Kira and Boo went straight to the pen as soon as I told them to Hootch... but that darn Rudy got past me when I let them out the door, and while I was trying to grab him, Pilar the runner, dove out the door with Chootch right behind her...I nailed the both of them and got them in the pen...then took off after Rudy AFTER I shut the door to the house so Lily didn't escape too...I was fit to be tied by the time I got him captured...He is lucky he is still alive tonight...Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
Mind you, this was all before dawn this morning so it was still dark...I do NOT like chasing down miscreant dogs at 4AM in the pitch dark !!

Suz...You and Big T were an absolute blessing to me...and I mean that...Don't belittle what you all did...
I was exhausted, and there was no way the boys and I could have made that 3rd trip...That was all of Jims shop stuff, not to mention my garden things...Big difference in a 27 foot truck and a 16 foot like we had this time...Last time took 1 truckload and Aarons pickup with all the garden shed stuff...Jims shop stuff was on the big truck...and I had the fridge and washer/dryer and the whole dining room set that did not get moved back down here...

I have MUCH to be thankfull for tomorrow...My son and his best friend, and My friends here...No, I am not cooking a turkey or much of anything else...It will just be us 2 and the 4 leggers and alot of work tomorrow but I will be thinking of all of you, and sending Smoke your way...
I am thankfull for all of your support over a rough last few months...

Be Blessed we are alive and for the most part, very healthy...

Huggggggs
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5834377

Sue... the Ham hock would do...I would just use pre fried bacon and the onion with a tad of the bacon grease...I steam my green beans now... don't like em mushy and grey...Granny used onion and chicken broth.. no meat...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5834424

Ok good to know. You mean you don't like army green color beans ??? huh go figure on that LOLLLLLLL :)
Hmm i might just cook the meat and onions and add the green beans the later last 1hr
You are very welcome for the help. We were glad to do it. :) i think JIm and T had a nice chat. THey seemed to hit it off. I know what its like to move and have been exhausted and not enough help. Back in the day it was all me and Jess doing the moving. I helped all my friends back then and none of them helped me. I always told myself i will always help people move, it sucks to move and we all need help to do it. I was glad to be of service. :)
ok i think im ready to join my family in the tv room ( bedroom ) . T is going to try and move the tv in the living room Hmmm this should be interesting. HA. still got laundry to do
have a good night
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5834526

Best place for that TV honey...Kids, TV etc. is NOT the place in the parents bedroom...Trust me on that one...TV and Kids need to be in the living room, when their bedtime comes they go to their beds, TV off and then you go to yours...TV in young parents bedrooms has caused more divorces than not...That's a fact...
In YOUR case, when T is gone overseas, then sure...if you want to snuggle in your bed and watch a movie AFTER the Monkeys are in bed, I would leave a hookup in there for a TV...
Bedrooms are supposed to be the sanctuary where there is peace and quiet and rest and recuperation and Whatever from a stressful day...a quiet time for just the 2 of you to regroup, and recoup...When you are old and senile like us, and certain parts don't function anymore, and no more kids in the house, then fine...Get a 60 inch plasma and hang that puppy on the main bedroom wall and enjoy!!!

Huggggs
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5834641

This is a repeat message I posted to another thread...But when I finished it, I realized it was relevant here...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALLLL OF YOU !!!!!

We are all truly blessed this year to be safe and warm, with Family (or seen them recently... LOL ) happy and for the most part, at our age .. healthy...

I pray for our Country and the turmoil it is in...and I pray for PEACE in this world...Many people have died today in old Bombay India because of terrorists...and they are still holding hostages, many of whom are foreign tourists...Maybe even some Americans...Pray for them tomorrow...
I lived 7 very long and agonizing years in a Warzone in Vietnam...I know the pain...I lost many of my Brothers there...all who passed through my field hospitals zones from one place to another...When you have seen what my eyes have seen you will have seen carnage beyond belief...
That is what is happening again in the MidEast...But there, you do not know your enemy...There are no lines of battle and a DMZ...He could be the man who sold you meat today at the market stalls and tomorrow he may be wearing a vest of explosives and detonate when you come to buy onions...It could be a child at a bus stop...
We had those in Nam too...Children who tried to get on our landing strips and Helo pads with grenades, offering trinkets or whatever to sell and then tossing them into our aircraft...I know...Believe me...I know...

Count your blessings, Hug whoever is close even if it is your cat, and pray hard for our Troops especially...Our Country is is pitiful condition, but my Flag will be flying and I am proud and honored to have served and would go again until I drop dead if they would have me...

God Bless America...My Country tis of Thee, land of sweet Liberty...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5834651

Evening everybody,my have you all been busy today. I did the grocery/errand thing today, and the stores were packed. Stopped by the nursing home for a short visit with DMIl, she was in PT, but I visited about 15 minutes there, then helped her get settled back in her room, and cleaned up for lunch. She is doing very well.

After getting the groceries, there is a chain hair place right by the grocery, and I decided to see if I could get a haircut. First time I had ever gone to anybody other than my regular girl, and I was real pleased with the outcome. I have had the same beautician for years, but it requires me to drive to Frankfort, about 20 miles when I need to go. So this may be a better deal, and she charged 1/2 what I normally pay.

We are going to a friends house for Thanksgiving tomorrow. DS and his SO celebrated with her family today, so since they are in the process of moving, they are going to take the day to work on the house.

Sue, sometime next week DH and I will be helping DS finish moving furniture from our rental house to this new place. It has been 15 years since I helped anybody move, and although I know that it is nice to have help, I detest doing it. When we moved here 15 years ago, DH was working all kinds of overtime, and I moved everything in my car, dishes, clothes, and anything that I could fit in there. Then on a Sunday (the only day DH had off work), we rounded up 3 other big strong teens, and moved the furniture. I was settled, had all the pictures hung, the cabinets with shelf paper, dishes put away, the clothes in the proper places, by that Sunday night. It was easier for me to bring a load of stuff, bring it in and either put it away, or hang it right then. Thanks for being such a good friend to Dusty!!

Neal that spice cake sounds very good, and if I eat any kind of dessert, spice cake would be my choice. I may just have to make it for my families Christmas dinner, that way, I can sample it and hope that it all gets eaten by everybody else.

Well, if I don't get to "see" you all, I hope everybody has a good Thanksgiving, and hope that you recover before the weekend. Try not to overeat, just sample each dish, and stop before you become the turke!! ~~~~ to everybody.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5834693

Dusty, that was nicely put, Thanks. We ALL have much to be Thankful for... tomorrow, and every day. It is so easy to forget the valuable things like Life itself when faced with unaccustomed adversity.

I'm trying to make enough peace with my sister and her kid so that we can at least have something to be thankful for, even if it is just for a day... we're not having our holiday dinner until Friday so my sister can work tomorrow at time and a half. I'm doing a heritage turkey, dressing and gravy. Whatever else will be done mostly by the kid. I understand she had her mother get a box of instant mashed potatoes, canned sweet potatoes, 2 huge pkgs. of marshmallows, and frozen peas. I reminded her days ago that I have 60 pounds of home-grown yukon golds in the root cellar but apparently that's too much work. They won't eat any of my various home canned cranberry chutneys, nor my homemade mincemeat for a pie. What a waste.

Okay, whining is complete.

Let me now wish ALL OF YOU a peaceful Thanksgiving!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5834722

Darius, the younger generation is the "I want it now" generation. Too much work involved in peeling potatos!!

I wish you a peaceful, thankful Thanksgiving, even if it is only for a day.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #5834762

Hey...Boy my grandkids are some busy little boys! Don't know if the old ticker can take it. The Lt is in the kitchen washing dishes and my DIL is gone to bed the boys down. I just baked a peach cobbler and have 4 pies in the oven for another 1/2 hour (sweet potato).

Darius, feel free to send me whatever canned stuff you want. I will eat it. I love canned stuff. It reminds me of my Mother and Aunties. They will learn to appreciate it all soon enough. The prices in the grocery store for all that prefab junk is getting sky high and to me it all tastes like a different grade of rubber or plastic. If I were you I would peel my potatoes and have a little bowl ready and when they pull em out say "Oh I can't eat that, I can't digest plastic too well."

Well the house is smelling like cinnamon and nutmeg. I am craving some cobbler and vanilla ice creme so talk to y'all tomorrow.

Sue will tell Clint you said "Wassup!!!". LOL The big thing on the news is that he retired the other day.

TTYL ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5834776

Darius, anyone who turns down your cooking doesn't have taste buds worthy of it.

We were blessed with a bargain today. I'd put a post out in the wanteds area at Craig's List, saying I was looking for a heavy-duty banquet table with folding legs. I put the price I was willing to pay at $15. I figured someone might answer it, but thought I probably put too low a price. A few weeks went by and out of the blue I got an e-mail from a lady who saw the ad. She's downsizing her craft area to a smaller room of her home and her banquet tables won't fit in it. She sold me one of them for $15! I could have had both for $28. I only needed one, though.

It's in almost perfect shape for what I need, just a few scratches on top and a little paint. But hey, that's what will happen to it when I scrapbook on it. LOL Howie and I drove into Columbus in terrible Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving-during-rush-hour traffic and grabbed a bite to eat at a little mom & pop coffee shop in town. It was a nice evening.

Oh, my, 8' x 30" of scrapbook and craft space. I'm in a little bit of Heaven just thinking about it. :)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5834924

Darius, are there any paralegal jobs out your way? I'd love to be your neighbor and get invited to your house for dinner, lol !
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
4:50 AM

Post #5834932

Hello all.

Sounds like everyone is busy busy busy!
This Thanksgiving has ended up a bit strange around our house.
First we are splitting the day half at my MIL half at my parents. My mother and I generally do all the cooking but she is seriously ill with a blood disease and having mini strokes and I found out yesterday that my kidneys are bleeding and infected! Now my father is cooking dinner for the family and he has never done this before. It should be interesting to say the least. I made a fruit salad but that was the extent of my cooking. Most of the day I have been on the couch. I kind of miss all the excitement of running around pulling loose ends together for turkey day. 15 hours of cooking for 30 minutes of eating till you cant eat any more. Seems strange when you actually think about it.
We generally have at least 2 meats, 7-8 side dishes, and 5 or so desserts, all of that for just the 7 of us! This year i'm sure it will be a lot less. My dad is making a pie though... not sure what it is but he said that he found it online and it is supposed to be Bill Clintons favorite pie. That alone scares me.

I will let you all know what gets burnt beyond recognition at the hands of my father.

Happy Eating Everyone!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5834941

Hugs, Carolyn for those who are not feeling well. Hope all of the food tomorrow is recognizable and edible!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #5834950

Carolyn, so sorry to hear about you and your mother's illnesses! That's great of Dad to make the dinner--you and Mom sit back and relax for a change.
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5835495

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

This may be a little too late but what the heck?! Put it away until you make more pie. LOL

This is the easiest, almost fail proof pie crust, from my Budget Gourmet book.

Pie Crust Mix

6 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups shortening or lard

Mix flour and salt. Cut in 1 cup of shortening until texture is like cornmeal. Cut is second cup of shortening until pieces are the size of peas.

Store mix in tightly covered container such as a 2 pound coffee can or cannister.

Makes enough for six 9 inch pie crusts.

Pastry for 1 Crust

1 1/2 cups Pie Crust Mix
2-3 tablespoons cold water (experience-3 1/2, dry air, 2 1/2-3 if humid)

Sprinkle cold water over pie crust mix. Handle just enough to mix well and hold together. Don't over handle because it get's hard.

Shape into ball, flatten, then roll on floured board until it's 1" larger than the pie pan.

Fold in 1/2, then 1/2 again, set in pie pan, gently press to shape. Cut off excess, flute if desired.

If baking shell: prick with fork several places. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Check occasionally, pop any blisters and flatten with fork.

(not word for word but all you need. LOL)

For 2 pie crust: double the above. Split into halves after mixing with water. Do not flute bottom crust or prick holes. After filling, moisten edges (for tighter seal) and arrange top crust. Press into place, folding extra dough under bottom crust, then make several slits on top crust.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5835670

HAPPY THNKSGIVING!

Loading the car!
Off to B'Creek and Kettering!

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5835983

Happy Thanksgiving!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5836089

MFK Fisher, On Dining Companions
"Dining partners, regardless of gender, social standing, or the years they have lived, should be chosen for their ability to eat -- and drink! -- with the right mixture of abandon and restraint.

They should be able, no, eager, to sit for hours over a meal of soup and wine and cheese, as well as one of 20 fabulous courses.

Then, with good friends of such attributes, and good food on the board. and good wine in the pitcher, we may well ask, "When shall we live, if not now?"
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5836106

Here, Here! Thank you Darius, that is ceratinaly words to live by!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5836114

Hope everyone is having a good day!!!

Marcy - I looked up your "George" sugar pie recipe while I was at the body shop with my iPhone yesterday, and then went to the grocery to get the whipping cream for it. Already had the half and half. I thought, hey, Mom and I won't eat two pies, I will cut the recipe in half and only make one pie. So, I came home with enough for one, then saw your post saying you needed the full amount for one pie! LOLOLOLOL but then, saw your other recipe, and have enough to make that, so will make that over the weekend. LOLOL I am to far out in the country to justify driving 10 miles for another cup of heavy cream!

The body shop found even more raccoon damage - they had to order another part. That thing was huge!

We are slowly starting to get things together here for a mini T-day. I think I finally have convinced my Mom we did not need 6 side dishes for the two of us. Simpler this year!

Dusty - glad you are in a warm house for the holiday.

Hello to everyone and give your family a big hug today. The time comes way to soon when you are like my Mom and I and find yourself pretty much alone, all your family gone before you. I cherish every holiday I still have my Mom with me... the time will come to soon when I won't have any family left at all except distant cousins I never ever see. So give those people and extra squeeze today!

Jules

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008 6:46 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5836407

Amen to that Juli...I thought of Jerry Tuesday...

Tomorrow marks the 40th anniversary of the Thanksgiving day triple crashes of 1968...My dear friend Capt. Tommy Pienta was shot down in his Huey and it caught fire...2 crew died, and he and his WO survived...They were rescued by the Tail Huey, who loaded all 4, lifted off and they were shot down enroute back to Saigon 25th Evac, rescued again by a 3rd Huey, my crew and I, who heard the Mayday call as we were lifting off from Saigon...We also got hit severely, barely made it back to a safe zone with a very hard auto rotate landing, with a groaning load of 10 alive, and 2 dead plus my crew of 3 and me...If you have ever seen a UH-1 Huey, you will know that we were sardines in a can...Tommy was severely burned as was his WO...He spent 8 months at Brooke in TX and went back to Nam to fly for 2 more tours of duty...
He is a true Hero in my eyes...I will call him tomorrow and wish him a *Happy Anniversary* as we always do to each other...LOL

Thanksgiving has always been the traditional day for us Nammies to reach out and touch each other...and a day of reflection...
I miss the calls from Westie, (Gen. Westmoreland) who always started the chain to me at midnight, and we carried on from there...

On a much lighter note...I have just about whipped this chaos into submission around here...I don't have much put away or organized yet except to get things into the rooms they go in, but I have many boxes emptied out already, and the kitchen is somewhat in order...still a ton of counter clutter, but it is glassware that needs a bath before being put away...
The 2 big boxes that Bro Bill forgot the other day are yard sale goodies, so I have added more to them as I go through things...Cookie said it was okay if I put them out on the front porch, so that is where they are...
I am beginning to be able to see feet instead of inches of carpeting in here...I knew it was down there somewhere...LOL

I made a massive dent in the guest room cwap that was used as a stow all to get things inside to keep dry...Everything that was in there that didn't belong is now out, and vice versa...
Jim has his wonderful den all set up...Thank you Creator!!! Gets his hinnie out of my way and from under my feet...I love the man, but he is a slow moving PITA right now...I told him awhile ago **Go to your room** and he did!!! Sweeeeeeeeeet !!!
The cradle that belongs in the guest room was in his den, and the desk that belonged in his den was in the dining room...so I have been dragging all of that, and a bunch more around to where it goes...That is something he absolutely cannot help me with...nor can he lift anything more than 20 pounds...Best he just gets outta mah way and lemme at it !!

I think I am going to venture down to the basement and admire my washer and dryer...I may even put something IN them!! LOL...I guess I had best take the hamper with me in case they are hungry...

I hope you all are stuffed to the gills and feeling verrrry Nappppy!!!

Huggggs!!!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5836538

OK I'm full now. Ate too much.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5836603

GOOD!!! and ya bettah brang me home wunna dem Sweet tater pies or I'll put itchin powder in yer bed heah???

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5836692

Hi Folks... I hope everyone is fat and sassy after heaps of good foods!

I feel just as stuffed as I would be if we had our Thanksgiving dinner today instead of tomorrow, and I didn't even eat that much dinner. When I was still on oxygen, I had to learn to eat smaller meals more often to keep a full stomach from pressing on the lungs. Three years later, I still don't eat much at one time but it would be VERY helpful if I also ate fewer meals/snacks now. I've gained 40 pounds over the last 11 months, and probably 10 of that is since some of you saw me in June. :(

The Kid went with me this afternoon over to my storage unit to unload my truck. One of my "local" DG friends acquired several pallets of brand-new vinyl-coated wire shelving display units, and got one pallet for me. They are displays for Gatorade but the logo peels off easily. So, I have 16 of them! Each is 16" wide and 4' tall with shelving 8" deep, perfect for canning jars or small parts out in the shop. I haven't opened a box yet but she says they have mounting hardware included. I'm hoping I can fasten one above the other on the walls. That will give me over 10 linear feet of shelving from floor to ceiling and still not take up much floor space. (This photo was taken in her kitchen.)

Well, Kiddos, y'all be good. I'm off to let my dinner sag on the sofa!

Thumbnail by darius

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5836764

Dusty, I am sure there are a lot more folks out there, just like my Mother and I, who think a lot about you "Nammies" and are grateful and thankful to all of you - and to everyone who has served in any form of service, at any time. I am especially grateful that there are people like Dusty who helped my brother while he served in 'Nam. If you think it is appropriate, tell your friend Capt. Pienta my Mother and I thank him for all the aid and assistance he gave our young men over there, ok, Dusty? I am sure there are many of them he pulled from harms way who would not have made it without him.

Dave's Garden brings people together in unusual and incredible ways.

Dusty - I am envious of your new reef tank, and hope your tang makes it! I really want an aquarium! The photos I have seen of Kimberley's look like she has a really nice aquarium too! But, I know it does involve a fair amount of work, and I can't commit to it. Figure some day, when I have to leave this house and move to a condo, then I will get a 75 or 90 gallon! I have seen some wonderful planted tanks, and would love to have one of those. Have put some serious thought into a smaller Nano tank, but everyone that is "in the know" says bigger is better, but I tell you I am so sorely tempted! Our water has so much lime, I would have to put in a reverse osmosis filtration system, then add back in the right minerals - so would not be easy. Or, use distilled water in it... Or put up with a tank of mollies - not my idea of what I really want. I would rather not have live bearers. This site is where I go to dream!
http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest2004/contest2004.htm
in the mean time, I have a fish screen saver that is pretty realistic. I was able to get a few good shots at the Newport aquarium that work OK for a background for it. Not like a real aquarium, but it will do. And, they don't die if the electric is off for days. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5836771

Hey everyone !!!
Carol big (((())) to you and your mom.
Darius i agree , what words of wisdom . I also enjoy eating and enjoying the people around me,,, wellllllll some of them anyways. I know your pain with family who have no idea on how to enjoy eating as a ritual. MY family could care less about homemade marinara and homemade noodles , Ragu is there fav. Wonder bread instead of my home made uhg what can one do ?
Good wine , good cheese, good olives and salami is my fav thing to nosh on !
Dinner went well. No one got hurt LOL . Food was good. Got it all in the freezer . We are going to head out tomorrow for Georgia and do some stuff. Dh idea, not mine. We shall be back sunday. We will be in Blue Ridge area.
blessings to everyone
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5836849

Good evening, our Thanksgiving meal was good, ate too much as usual. Since it was at one of our friend's house, met many family members of theirs and a good assortment of little ones, which were surprisingly well behaved.

Darius, nice quote, many a day has passed since I had a marvelous dining experience like that. Doubt that any of the younger generation would be pleased to know that meals that last hours are wonderful culinary experiences. They like quick!!

Great going on the sorting and putting away Dusty. You will have that puppy whipped in no time.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5837028

Good evening everyone! What a WONDERFUL day we have had! I managed to keep my mouth shut when I was NOT asked for advice on doing the Thanksgiving meal! My son only called me ONE time...to tell me the turkey was done, and should he leave it in the oven or what? It was an hr early. I told him..no ..take it out...cover it with foil and let it rest. If we need to reheat it we can.
Anyway...he had a FANTASTIC meal for us all!! My youngest brother had emailed me to say they wanted to stop by with his eldest son from N. Carolina to see the family...and of course, we said fine. Told them they were welcome to come and eat. First he said...no we will come after dinner. Then an early morning email said will let you know more when I know what is going on for sure.
We were just filling our plates , when they came to the door! Great timing! So they ate with us...and for sure..there was plenty! We all had a great time visiting. After dishes...they went on to visit my older brother in New Carlisle. Dave and I decided to go up there too. Hadn't been there in a while. So we surprised them...and they served us supper...which we didn't need!!
It was great seeing all the family!
Jules...let me know how you liked the pie. My brother loved it...and my SIL who is/was a home ec teacher...(not what they call them now..I know)...had never heard of sugar cream pie!! So they wanted the recipe too.
I sent pie home with DIL's sister and her hubby's mother too. So they had my pie plus her boughten ones...lol!!
I had made 6 pies. 2 sugar cream...2 pumpkin...1 pecan...and 1 apple crumb. Also a pumpkin roll. And baked some Pillsbury cookies for the kids...lol. No turkey ones this year...but at least they got cookies!
I didn't want to bring all that pie home...but did bring some for Dave. All in all..it was a great day!
Darius...I loved the quote!! Dusty..glad you are getting settled in...as I know you are!
Ok...waving~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all...hope you had plenty to eat!! We did!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5837179

Juli... I will tell Tommy tomorrow when I call him...
He doesn't know about Jerry yet so, that will be a suprise for him...His Huey was a **Retriever**...one that went in to get troops out of harm...There were 3 of them and 3 Huey gunships on that day...The #3 retriever was the second one shot down...All 3 of the gunships were circling to protect the rest of us and they got hit too, but all made it back safe...When you think about it.. it is laughable.. a Gunship consisted of one scared kid behind a machine gun hanging out of the door of a Huey...

Pic below is a gunship...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5837181

This is one of Tommys ships that he flew when he went back in 1969...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5837203

This is a pic taken of my friend Gen. John in the lead Helo taking off from Phu Bai after dropping supplies to us to build the Field Hospital in 1969 Those are Chinooks...known as the workhorses...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5837226

And this is me...next to my beloved Black Huey doing my thing in August of 1966..That was taken in Xuan Loc...Not far from Saigon...If you look hard, you can see my helmet aka Brain Bucket is still wired to the cockpit for communication...We were evac-ing wounded South Vietnamese troops...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2008
4:35 AM

Post #5837303

Great pics, Dusty! I see 'Dust Off' on the Huey door...what's that mean, and is that how you got the name, 'Dusty'??

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 12:29 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5837373

Juli... I will try to get a pic of the reef tank for you...Cookie says it is a 96 gallon...I also have a 55 gallon fresh water tank as well...My 3 inch Plecostomus is now 8 inches long...That tank is going to have live bearers...I want Tetras, Mollies and Swords and I need some Cory cats...

I now have TWO of the Tangs still alive in the reef that we have seen so far...We are still missing the yellow one, and one other that should be in there, so I fear they were lost to the extreme cold of the water without the heater being on...I acclimated my Shubunkins back to the cold pond water Monday and only lost 2 of the 11 when I put them back in the outside pond...They were the smaller ones, so that is not bad considering there was ice nearly an inch thick that I had to break to get them in there...Thats no joke either!! I should have taken a pic of it...I could not believe it was that thick in most of the pond already...

Thank you Marcy and Bons...It is slow going, but it is getting done...I spent an hour today just getting all of the house plants watered, fed and rearranged in the house...The orchids needed to soak in a tub to get their bark saturated...They are now in gas heat with little humidity so they needed that...Living things needed more attention than furniture and boxes, so I did a little of both...I am hoping to get my bed frame put together tomorrow, so I can get my bed up off of the floor...It is not that easy to do, especially with no help, but I'm sure I will prevail...It may take alot of soap in my mouth, but I'll git er dun!!

Speaking of bed...I think I will go crawl in between the sheets, pull up the duvet, and lay my head down...I do believe it's naptime... ;-))

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5837393

Dusty, your post reminds me, you were wanting to know about making up the saltwater for the reef tank, right? From what I've read, you shouldn't ever add more salt since when water evaporates, the salt remains in the tank. You should only need to replace the plain water so the ratio remains constant.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5837401

No Renee`... My Daddy gave me that name when I was 2 yrs old...
but DUSTOFF was both a mission and a radio call sign...a nickname originally taken from the radio call sign of Army chopper pilot Major Charles L. Kelly, who was killed in action on July 1, 1964... From 1962 to 1973, over 496,000 DUSTOFF missions were flown that evacuated over 900,000 personel...using only 140 Bell UH-1 Huey Helos...The 101st Airborne Divisionís 326th Medical Battalion, of which I was a member, formed an air ambulance platoon known as *Eagle Dustoff* ...

This is a good link for info:

http://159thdustoff.net/Welcome & Contents.htm

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 1:02 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #5837406

Thanks Kimberley... Cookie reminded me of that today... LOL.. I TOLD y'all it has been awhile since I had a salt tank...LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5837639

Sounds like everyone who has checked in so far had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Dusty, so glad you are getting settled in! I wonder if it'd work for me, if I tell my DH to go to his room when he gets in my way.

Darius, love those shelves! Enjoy your dinner today. I keep forgetting to ask, do you have all of your stuff from your out of town storage now?

GW, a banquet table makes such a nice craft table. It's so much easier to work on a project when you can have everything close at hand and room to spread out.

Carolyn, sorry to hear you and DM were ill.

Sue, hope you all are having a safe trip.

Toni, I always thought you sounded like a youngin' full of spit & vinegar, and now I hear you have grandkids!

Chele, thanks for that pie crust recipe. Have to add it to recipe box.

Bonnie, glad to hear MIL is doing well!

We had a wonderful day yesterday. My DB & his SO came in at 3 am yesterday. After a few hours sleep and breakfast, we started on preparing dinner. Had a fried turkey and all of the traditional side dishes, a huge relish tray and desserts. We won't have to do any cooking all weekend!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5838490

Robin, yes all my stuff is here now. I had to get a local storage unit early this summer for all the crap I had out on the porches... no room elsewhere. I'm hoping Sunny will get over here soon to get the armoire out of the barn, giving me more space in the workshop.

My turkey is in the oven as I write. Gravy and dressing are made and warming. The Kid made deviled eggs earlier and put them on our table for a snack... but she and my sis went somewhere a while ago and one of the cats found the uncovered eggs... SIGH.

BBL,

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5838615

Good Afternoon all...Sunny and cold here today...I slept in till 9am in my nice warm bed...Of course I didn't go to bed til almost 3am... LOL
It was nice and peaceful, and I got alot done, but still a ton more to do...

I need to go to the grocery and get some food that doesn't require an oven...I baked some biscuits the other day for the boys, and then turned the oven on to clean...When it was done, I set the temp to bake a pan of ribs for Jim and I for supper..about an hour later I went to turn them, and the oven was cold...Bill thought it might be the element, so he took it to be checked, and that wasn't it, so we have to get the repair guy out here to check it out...I bake or broil or roast most everything, so that is what my freezer is full of...Very little in there that I can cook in a pan or a pot...

The reef tank seems to be doing fine now that it is warm...Cookie was just here, and she checked it out for me...I have my other tank up and running, and it is doing just fine now too...
I am going to work on getting my furniture put where I want it today, and tomorrow will get the kitchen finished off...Jims room is done except for putting the mirror back on his dresser...I still have to fight with my bed frame, and put the guest room bed together, so I can get the rest of the furnishings organized..Right now, the mattress and springs are blocking the closet door, so I can't get to it to stow anything...Once that is done, I will be pretty much squared away except for the wall hangings that are stacked against the walls here and there...
The worst is over, so I am just going to take my time now...

I went out to the garage to hunt down my suet baskets for the birds, and brought in something Cookie gave me that I have coveted since I first saw it...It is a Terrarium shaped like a house on a small white wrought iron stand and decorated with roses...That is going to be my very first project...Get it cleaned up and planted...and a small creature put in it...
I absolutely adore that thing, and it will have a place of honor here...I will see if I can get a pic of it for you as soon as I can find my camera... LOL

Okay, I am off to the grocery...I hope everyone has recuperated from the food fests yesterday...LOL

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5838644

Found the Cam...Was in my purse of all places...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5838750

Dusty, cool piece! So glad to hear things are going well with your unpacking. Bet you are glad it's about done!

Darius, I just don't know what to say...except maybe we are just too set in our ways to have grown kids living us and upsetting our routines. Sure glad it's not me, cuz I probably would have to bite my tongue way too often. Does the Kid work? Glad to hear you have your stuff close to home now.

Sure is nice here this week with highs in the 50's and mostly sunny. Not bad for the end of November. My DB took us out for breakfast this morning, then we went to an indoor flea market, came home and ate leftovers for lunch.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5839008

Hey...

Hope everybody had a fantastic Turkey Day and Shopping Day After!!!

You are right on both accounts MsRob I am a Grandma full of spit and vinegar. LOL Naw my grandsons are babies 5 years old and 1 1/2 year old. I have one kid, their father.

Dusty...I know, I owe you a Sweet Potato pie. I was surprised they came out pretty good this year. I don't think I did anything different this time. My DIL made a really good Italian Cream Cake. Kinda like a yellow spice cake with homemade butter cream frosting, That was scrumptious.

Frick and Frack are gone to LA to visit my ex's brother who is stationed somewhere down there in the Army until tomorrow and I am here with my dudes. Just waiting for Elijah to wake up from his nap and we are going to the park. The weather here is not bad, in the low 70's I think.

Well just waving while I check my email.

TTYL ((((((((((((Huggies)))))))))))
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5839102

Well I am glad everyone had a great Turkey day.

My mother and I are both recovering well and we all survived the dinner. Amazingly though, all the food was WONDERFUL!
I will never doubt that mans ability to cook ever again. He made the best stuffing I have ever ate, better than my own. He got lots of recipes off the internet from chef sites and it was just fabulous.
He brined the turkey overnight and smoked it, made cornbread stuffing which had onion, celery, cranberries, apples, and sage sausage topped with almonds...twice baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, greenbeans with a dijon mustard cream sauce, fresh fruit salad, lemon chess pie, and pumpkin pie with pecan crumble on top!

It was the best thanksgiving dinner we have ever had! Way to Go DAD!
and he even done the dishes lol.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5839140

Hey, what a cook he turned out to be! Give him my congratulations!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #5839526

Good evening folks. Carolyn, what a nice surprise to have that delicious meal cooked by your Dad. And doing dishes too. What a man.

Today about 8:30 my friend came over, and cleaned my house. While she was taking care of the rest of the house, I cleaned the kitchen. My countertops are a light beige, and every now and then, they need a deep cleaning and I use bleach. So everything in my kitchen is gleaming. That is a feel good kind of thing.

Did a load of laundry, tackled some paperwork, and then had a nice nap. So it was a so so day, but glad that I have a good feeling about it.

Toni, great that the weather is so nice. Hope that the rest of your stay will be as good. Give those Grand boys lots of snuggles and kisses before you leave though.

Dusty, that is a nice piece, what do you plan to do, make a small acquarium or terrarium?

Robin, glad that you are enjoying family. Will they be staying the weekend?

Kimberly what did you and Howie do for Thanksgiving?

Joyce did you get all of your possesions and belongs stowed away? How was your Thanksgiving?

~~~ to all I didn't address, I hope everybody is doing well, and ready to begin the month of December.

Who was brave enough to venture out to shop today? Did you hear about the Walmart employee who was crushed to death, in the rush of people to get in the store, or the 2 that were killed at Toys R us? What is this world coming to?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2008

Post #5839601

I think those 'early bird' sales should be banned. They remind me of the Who concert in Cincinnati that was sold with no assigned seating, and people were crushed to death. I was invited but when I heard it was General Admission, I refused to go, for the same reason I refuse to go to those sales.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,312557,00.html
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20114358,00.html

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 10:25 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5839757

Those sales are a nightmare. I can't fathom the crowds and the craziness of people. Horrible! Wal-Mart is going to be sued bigtime. Maybe the stores will finally at least exercise some sort of crowd control, let only so many in at a time, something...It's just mad. :(

We had a good thanksgiving dinner with family. We did like last year and used my MIL's church as our gathering spot. The fellowship hall is large and the nursery's adjacent. This year was nice because Howie's nephew Thomas and his family came out here. Usually, the dinner conflicts with his in-laws', so we made ours later so he could come. He's leaving for Iraq in January, so it was important we all be together this holiday.

Howie's sister Gwen is flying in from Alabama on Monday, the kids' birthday gift to my MIL. Gwen will be here through Saturday afternoon. Tommy and his family are coming back out on Friday so they can see Gwen, too. It's the most we've seen them in ages. :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2008
4:29 AM

Post #5839765

The Walmart death in NY was in fact due to trampling.
A tragedy!

The two in Palm Desert were the result of a personal issue.
Two women started fighting and two men opened up w/ guns.
It appears to be part of a long running dispute.

Several of my friends were at the Who Concert.
One batch were in the deadly mix. (All OK)
The other, at a different door, never even knew it happened until way later.
For the record I went to probably 50 concerts including Woodstock and never had or saw a bit of trouble.
(Well I saw fights and such in the parking lots AFTER the concerts but never before.)
The Who deaths were the result of the 'crowd control' people at the Stadium in my opinion.

We got the closet walled up and Robyn is just about done w/ the Holiday lights.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5840170

Oh, I just love to read all the posts and have you all joining me for coffee! :-)

DB & SO are leaving Sunday morning to head back to Nebraska. Good company, good food...life is good!

Toni, glad you are enjoying your trip and seeing your family!

Ric, you are doing such a nice job on the room. I'll sure be glad when we can start on our addition.

Darius, how did your turkey turn out? Hope you had a good dinner with Sis and the KId!

GW, I got up early enough this morning to watch an infomercial on the Cricut. Pretty cool! I want one!

Dusty, are you doing okay? Not over doing it, I hope.

Joyce, how 'bout you...did you get the rest of your stuff put up that came out of Dusty's new house?

Carloyn, sounds wonderful! DD needs lots of pats on the back! Glad to hear you and DM are better!

Sue, hope you are having a great time!

KyWoods, heard about that on the news. Awful!

We stopped by an indoor flea market after breakfast yesterday to look around. We bought 3 vintage colored glass vase, I think they are stretched glass. DB bought one that is (maybe) pulled glass. Wasn't but about 3 other people in the store. But of course, we are in small towns, so it never really gets too busy in the stores.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5840567

Hi Robin... Nope I am doing fine...I had to go down to Mason to get my guy for 6am going to Middletown...I went up to the barn and turned in all my paperwork, and fueled up the Wheelie, and cashed my check...I stopped and got a thistle seed feeder, and I just filled it up and got it hung out here in the tree with the seed feeders...I still haven't located my suet baskets, but I did get 4 cakes for them...

Boss just called me, and when I get my Mason guy dropped off, I need to go get one up in town and take him down to Kettering dialysis..They just added him on.. :-(

I'm off to Middletown, so I'll see ya later on...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5840607

Good morning all. Just a quick note here.
We are going to Arcanum ...about 7 miles from us...to a little coffee house for lunch...and their Christmas open house. They are connected to an antique shop next door. And then down the street, is the Historical society which has it's Christmas Baazar...so will stop in there too. Sounds like fun!
Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving. That's great! My younger brother almost cried over that sugar cream pie!!!!! LOL! He said he had been looking for a good recipe for 40 yrs!!!! Seems when we were kids, one of his friend's mother used to make them. Hmph!! I never got any!!! Anyway...I just sent him the recipe!
Have a good Saturday everyone!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5840936

Marcy, that sure sounds like a fun day! I miss doing that kind of thing... the few 'open' affairs around here all revolve around younger kids, or else they charge lots of money to get in.

Ric, how come the closet warrants a photo but not Robin putting up the decorations?

Sounds like everyone had a successful Thanksgiving, including me. My bird was great, we all ate at the same table at the same time, only a few cross words were passed about, and I didn't over-eat. In fact didn't even have pie until a slice for breakfast today.

It's overcast and cool, with some light rain coming tomorrow. I think I need to escape the house for a bit...

Have a great day!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5841634

WHOOOHOOOO!!! I stopped at my favorite Thrift Store on the way home and found the frame for my brass bed...It is the double ended rails so I can attach the footboard...I have been searching and searching for the double ended one...They actually had 2 of them...Kewel beans!!! Now I can get that bed put together and get access to the closet to stow my craft bins...
I have 5 bins in the garage that are my Christmas things that I need to bring in too...I am going to put up some lights on the front porch for sure, but I am debating about a tree...I may just put up my 4 footer in the bay window and be done with it...I don't really feel like putting up alot, but I don't want to look like Scrooge either..LOL
Especially with my neighbor next door...I hear she goes wild at Christmas...ROFL...I may have to string a few around the back porch for her benefit...LOL

My landlady hollered at me...I have to present myself at her house for supper at 6pm...I told her I'd have to ask Jim, but he said we couldn't go cause he didn't think we could afford the gas money to get there...;-P
Tooooo Funnnny!!
Her hubby is out back trying to burn down their barn...LOL...Where are my marshmallows when I need em?? At least he's not over here trying to burn down my barn...I WILL Con him outta that next spring!!!! They are using it for storage at the moment...I NEED mah barn!!...There are Feathers in mah future!!! LOL

I have to be super nice to my Landlord...He is sending his handyman over here to clean out my gutters...Does this mean I don't have to do it for a change??? Geeeesh!! I won't know how to act...Gonna have him peek at the chimney while he's up there and see what I need to get it repaired...Guess I better fix up a huge pot of stewed maters for the Landlord...The Landlady can't stand em...Won't even make em!!!

OHHHH ROFLLL...Check this out...Man, Cat and 2 Dogs sound asleep...
Guess I won't be hanging any pictures on the walls in here at the moment...LOL
Guess I will go to the basement and get some washing done...I have 2 poodles for sure that need groomed tomorrow...From the looks of them, that may take all day...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5842864

GREAT shot of Jim and the Critters!

Darius I have some Robyn Holiday Light shots somewhere...
I had already changed into my sandals when I took those closet shots... lol!
I'll get a few of her tomorrow if the rain doesn't set in first.

I started Icing the Cake!
Still figgerin' on that blank space...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5842871

It's officially Winter!

Thumbnail by henryr10

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5842896

Well, I did get out of the house... just not the way I planned. I just got home from spending about 4 hours in the E.R.

Being my graceful self, I managed to trip and fall hard bringing in firewood. (I was really moving fast as it was raining, and had a heavy armful.) I was sure I had broken my jaw where it hit the firewood... it looks like it! Thankfully, I didn't actually break it. They also x-rayed my left hand but it's just bruised.

My lower jaw is now crooked and juts out as far as my nose from the swelling (which they said will get even worse!) and I have a terrific fat lip. I cannot open my mouth far enough to eat, and can barely form words to talk. The bruising is already beginning to show, from my chin to my temple, and the Dr. said it's worse inside my mouth. They bandaged my knee and hand and shot me in the buttocks before sending me home. All the skin is gone from my chin to my ear and oozing but it cannot be bandaged. I guess it will scab over soon.

I wanted to lose some weight, just not this way! I guess I have to be more careful about what I ask for!

Narcotic is kicking in, so I'm outta here. Sorry not to answer the day's activities for everyone...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5842903

Darius SLOW Down!

GLAD to hear it wasn't anything serious, but by tomorrow morning I'm sure it will feel that way!

(((HUGS)))
Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2008

Post #5842978

Oh, Darius, how awful. Sure hope that you were not planning on any public appearances anytime soon. I am sure that you will look like you fought with 2 bears, and lost in the morning, but am so thankful that nothing was broken.

If you got that turkey carcus boiled down, looks like you are gonna be using most of it for some good broth till your mouth is operational again. You will be in my t & p's for the swelling to go down, and that the bruising is quickly gone.

Did some errands today, had to sneak off to Louisville to pick up DH's Christmas present. One of his buddy's bought him a Bass Pro Shop gift certificate for me about a month ago, and have just not had an opportunity to be by myself to run pick it up. That is the majority of his gift, so just a couple more small things and I think I am about done with shopping. Green was my choice for most gifts this year, and I know they will be appreciated by all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #5842995

Thanks, Bonnie. I'd been in the ER about 2 hours when I remembered the carcass was still cooking. Fortunately, on low, and in lots of broth and carrots/onion. You may be right about eating it all up soon instead of canning it!

Ric, the doc also assured me tomorrow I will feel worse, and even worse the following day. And, I will look like I lost the fight, LOL.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5843033

OH, my, Darius, I'm so sorry to hear this! Take good care of yourself, and heal quickly.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #5843228

Oh, shoot, Darius! :( So sorry you're hurting, lady. You're in my prayers for this to heal quickly for you. Ouch. (((hugs)))

My friend Jenni came over and we scrapbooked. I'm determined to share the big space with friends like my friend Ivana did with me at her place. G'night, everyone. I'll catch ya tomorrow.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5843996

Good Morning everyone...34* and raining here...Good day to work inside and it needs it...

Darius, I am so sorry about your injuries...I hope you mend really fast, and make the KID carry the firewood...Geeesh!!!

We had a wonderful dinner at Cookies last night...Bill and I inhaled the oyster dressing while Cookie and Jim turned up their noses at it, and ate the regular one...LOL...We had a brined turkey, and now I know why everyone does it that way...It was delicious and super moist...I snagged the carcass and drippings, and that will go in a big pot today to get cooked and in the freezer...

Bill loaned us an extra box for the satellite dish so Jim can get some TV until ours is hooked up on the 4th...Hes a happy camper now...
When we got home, I ran all of the dogs out to potty, and we were missing one...Apparently Rudy made his escape out the back hall door to the unfenced area of the patio and is gone...Why Lily didn't follow him or Pilar, I will never know...Other than maybe they were all in here asleep and didn't know he did it...At any rate, we did a mobile search, and Jim stayed out about an hour calling him, and he is gone...I will have Tony ask around if anyone has seen him...If we do manage to get him back, I will take him back to Brookville right away...He was definitely not happy here...

Gotta go get my britches on, and zip up to the Dollar store and get dog cookies...They are completely out, and I am getting dirty looks...LOL

Have a great day and stay dry!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5844090

Good morning everyone.
Darius...so sorry to hear about your fall! I bet you're not a pretty sight today...nor feeling very good either! I hope you heal fast.
Dusty..sorry to hear about your dog running away! I am ready for another turkey dinner! LOL! That sounded good! We didn't have any oyster dressing this year...because I didn't make it. Dave and I are the only ones who will eat it here. Oh well...another time.
Bonnie, I been trying to figure out how to get over to Richmond to get Dave's Christmas present today? It is the last day it's on sale too!!
I may just have to tell him!
I wanted to get the kids here today to put up the tree too. So much to do...so little time! My gkids have always put up my tree since they were 3 years old...so it has to be that way...lol!! Now that they are in school...have to work around that!
The weather outside is frightful...and yukky!!! Rain and COLD!! We are at 32 degrees here...so it may be icy. I don't see a lot of traffic on the road this morning?
Went to Bob Evans to eat last night, and ran into our neighbor. She asked us to eat with them...so we did. She told us that her son, who is the sherrif's deputy that lives down and across the road from us and her...was accepted to run in the Boston Marathon! She and her b/f
already have their plane tickets to go watch. That should be interesting! Of course we see him run/bike by here all the time ...summer and winter! Wish I had his energy!!! And he just turned 50 too!
Well..not sure what is happening here today, but guess I will just go with the flow. I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5844245

Good Morning... or at least it's morning for a few more minutes. I slept fretfully and not much either but hey, I'm up and moving... and looking very colorful already. Coffee is brewing; I've never had coffee through a straw and I think/hope I may be able to sip out of one corner of my mouth. When the Kid gets up, she has promised to bring in firewood. She insisted on going with me to the hospital last night, and fussed at me several times for not asking her to help bring in wood. I guess maybe there's hope for her yet.

Dusty, sorry about the pup. But he may be on his way "home" since they are known to make that hike.

Marcy, we have the same weather!

Ric, doesn't that blank outside wall space face the hot tub area? Why not make a pattern of a wine glass and a wedge of cheese in the center?

Off to get a cuppa... Oh, has anyone heard from Chele?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5844282

Yipes!!! Darius...Just read your post. Feel better soon as I know from experience that falling that way can make you feel like you got hit by a truck, no joke. Wish I was closer to help ya out a bit myself.

Going back to Cleveland tomorrow night. I had so much fun here with my dudes! Gonna miss them for sure.

We are finishing the tree today. My son is fussing about it not being where he wants it to be and I just tell him to shut up and keep doing things my way. He can change it when I am gone Tuesday. It's called Grandma privilege. Candi and I are gonna go shop for his Christmas presents this afternoon. The way he fusses I should just get him a box of rocks.

Dusty/Cookie your dinner sounded wonderful. I'm glad to see I am not the only one who likes oyster dressing. I didn't make it either this time. Just good old giblets. Maybe for Christmas if I have company. And if you think a brined turkey is good, try a brined duck. I love roasted duck anyway but when it's brined it tastes terrific. Anyone want the recipe I use, just holler.

Well the troops are waking and I gotta make pancakes.

TTYL

Toni

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5844618

We didn't brine the Thanksgiving bird, but we ARE brining the one for our annual get together with our best friends this Saturday. We missed the brined turkey!

Darius, I'm glad to hear the Kid has awakened a bit. You're right, maybe there's hope. There's always hope. :)

Dusty, the new place looks so homey. Sweet! :) Has your pup made his way back home yet?

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5844636

Oh my, Darius! Sure glad it wasn't any worse, although it probably hurts enough to cover anything else that could have been broken! Take care!

Toni, glad you're having such a great time with the kids! Have a safe trip home.

Sue, hope you didn't have any trouble getting home!

Hi, KyWoods!

Marcy, sounds like you're feeling a lot better and getting out and about more often!

GW, bet you are loving that new table space! I had to downsize in order to have a table set up designated for scrapbooking...not that I'll have a chance to get to it any time soon. But when I do...

Bonnie, did you have DG this weekend? She's such a doll!

Ric, feel free to keep winter up there. I really don't mind if you don't share.

Dusty, sorry about the lost baby. Hope it comes back soon!

It rained all night here, and although it's 44*, it still feels pretty cold with the wind. Guess there's rain or rain/snow mix in the forecast for the next few days. Thankfully there's no snow. DB and his SO left at 6 this morning. Had a great time with them. Thought we had planned for very little Thanksgiving leftovers, but had enough to last through last night. Good thing, becasue I forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner!

Hope Everyone stays warm and dry as we all start planning for Christmas!

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5844949

That's got to be heartwrenching, when one of your furbabies is missing. It saddens me every time I see one of those 'missing' posters. I said a prayer that your baby is found safe and sound, Dusty.
Oh, yes, oyster dressing--we had some, and there is more in the freezer for Christmas dinner. Yummy!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5845094

I love oyster dressing. One year after my mother's husband died, she made oyster dressing with tinned oysters. Yuck. I haven't wanted any ever since...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5845780

Evenin y'all...Shame on me...I took the entire day off so I punished myself by unpacking 1 bin and 2 boxes when I got home while supper was cooking...LOL

Cookie and I went shopping...I only spent money at the dollar store, and got cereal and milk at Krogers...and got 4 fish for the fresh water tank at Wally World just to keep Cosmo company...Brought that all home and THEN we went window shopping...I had to go get my paperwork for tomorrow, yes I am working, and no I am NOT gonna grouse about it...
It just so happens, that there is a place right by work that she was telling me about that she has frequented over the years...Sooooooo we went there and my eyes bugged out and I drooled all over the place...It is a fish warehouse...
They have fresh water fish and the most spectacular array of Salt water living creatures that I have ever seen...All sorts of Reef creatures, sand creatures and the most wonderous fish...There was one beautiful Zebra Puffer that I adored...He came to the top of the tank and let me stroke his back and head...He was about 15 inches long, and I would be happy if just he was the only pet in my new tank... Unfortunately, if I owned a Hummer, I would have to mortgage it to buy him...He was $200...I don't think he is reef friendly though, and that would not be fair to the other creatures...They do have some Tomato Clowns on a big sale at the moment that are 2 for 1 price and they are not expensive to begin with...They are great cleaners, and good reef friends, and a beautiful bright red color...They outta really liven up the joint!! LOL

So, all in all we had a silly girl fun kinda day, and I really enjoyed it...We haven't done anything like that since a year ago when we went to Jungle Jims...Long past time for us to go there too...I need more of that garlic cheese...LOL

It has rained here all day...more on than off, and heavy at times...Snow is supposed to be here by morning...It is still 39* here so we shall see...

I am off to change the laundry, and then I think I will hit the shower...I need to be up by about 4am just in case the weather is bad and I need to dig out the Wheelie and leave early...

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend...I know i did!!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5845907

Well the closet is ready for sanding and painting.
The top shelf will remain open.
Underneath they'll be 2 shelves in each of those spaces.
For now we will be mostly using it for construction tool storage.
We've got bags and boxes, cans and jars everywhere.

Darius I hope you feel better than you expected to...
I remember when Ann Margret shattered her jaw she made blender pizza! YUCK!

Oyster Dressing was always a staple at our home too.
But we haven't had it for years.
In fact I'm the only one who likes the giblets...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5846222

Ric, that is lovely, even unpainted. Could I come hook on to it and drag it down to my place? Hehe.

Dusty sounds like you had a good day. It has rained here most all day, just the kind of rain that is annoying though.

I had a lazy day, after a night that was unsettled. DH got a call at 3:30 this morning, that his mother was being taken to the hospital from the nursing home. Well, evidently he woke up the entire dog population when he left, and Mr. B had to make several trips out to make sure there was nothing lurking out there to worry about. So I didn't get back to sleep until about 5 a.m, and then the alarm went off at 7:00 for church.

DH didn't get home from the hospital until about 11:00 a.m., and has snoozed off and on all afternoon. I did the same, covered in an afghan on the couch.

He had eaten a late breakfast and wasn't hungry at my lunch time, so he just snacked and I made breakfast for supper tonight. I love to do that in the winter time.

So have worked on the cemetery data base some today, read, napped and watched Desperate Housewives, and wallah, here I am, now.

Hope that we don't awaken to much snow tomorrow. They are saying snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, so we will see.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5846336

Many Prayers in the Smoke tonight for your DMIL Bons...Huggs to all of you down there...We have had the same kind of annoying rain here...

Temps have dropped to 35.7 here, so we shall see what happens..and I am off to my bed 1/2 an hour late...I had to wait on a laundry load, and the dogs to be convinced to go out in the rain...Still no sign of Rudy, so he either has been snatched or is laying low somewhere...He is not a puppy at 4 yrs old, and has plenty of body fat thankfully...

Be safe and be well tomorrow...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5847037

Msrobin made it home safe and sound thank you for you kind words
Ric great pics
Yes them deaths are just horrible, i don't do black friday , its just a crock !!! not worth it. Those people should be getting hard times in jail IMHO who did them things and what they caused familys to go through. Shame really.
well just a quick hello got some things that need my attention. Ruff day , hormones are wacky again. Weekend was fine but i was bored !!!!!
Darius slow down , glad it wasn't broke . Big (((())))) for you . Glad your ok.
well i was gonna say somthing but i forgot ? uhg.
ttyl
sue

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5847305

It's snowing!
I know it snowed already, but I was in San Diego visiting my kids and grand kids... I just got home (Thanksgiving day)

When I look out the window it's like we live in a huge snow globe that someone has just shaken.
Dove
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5847320

Good morning everyone! Wow!! First day of December already!! Hard to believe! Seems like time just flies by. First thing we know..it will be SPRING!!!! Woohoooo!!! I'm ready...how about you all????????
Not much going on here today. It is snowing...but no real accumulation so far...and that's a good thing!
I do have to run to Wallyworld. When I was there to pick up my Rx on Friday...they only had 3 pills of my one BP med. Said they were having a hard time getting it? But supposed to be in on Monday. I will call first!
Going to try and get Dave to bring down the tree today as well...and I might try the dreaded stairs while he is here! See...the problem with those stairs is this: The rail is on the wrong side for me. I go up right leg first, and the rail is on the left. I need it on the right. Might have to get it changed.
Bonnie, hope your MIL is doing some better today?
Ric...the closet is really nice looking! You guys did good!
Ok...must go dry my hair before I freeze to death here. Everyone have a great day!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5847573

Thanks!
Robyn puttied the cracks and nail holes last night.
She should be sanding and painting today.
The adjustable shelves are still to be cut.
THEN we can finally gather up all these tools we have hanging, laying and stacked around.
Half the time we spend doing repairs or rehab is finding where we've stored the tools! LOL!

Snow flurries here... maybe an inch total they are saying.

Ric
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5847951

Welcome back Dovey! :)

Marcy, maybe you need dualies (rails, that is).

We have snow here, too, but it's just flurries and nothing is sticking.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5849297

We had some slurries but that's all...

Here's Robyn's today project.
The primer is on, two coats now, and the ceiling is insulated...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5849355

snow here and with a bit of accumulation. maybe an inch. I am sure there will be a delay tomorrow, uhg that sucks
it sure is cold and windy !!
watching Two and a Half Men , funny show.
Hey i got a question
well you all know the bathtub from H#$%LL well i decided to rip it out . I was just wondering if it was a simple thing ? or is it more involved than me ripping it out ? its a jacuzzi tub. Easy ? or hard ? i really hate that thing !
we also have sulfer in our water yuk !! so sitting in a jacuzzi tub with water that smells like B_tt is not in the future .
any advice is greatly appreciated.
thanks and good night
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5849459

Hey Sue...don't rip it out!! Get a water softener and a whole house water filter...that takes odors away. We have black maganese in our water here...and that's what we have done. It works. And when the whole house filter gets filled...you put in a new one. Believe me...our water is nasty too. We also have a reverse osmosis drinking water system...which gives us clean, no smell water to drink!
Well...never did make it upstairs today...nor did I get the BP meds. They weren't in yet! He said tomorrow.
What I did get..was a second check from SS! My SS check didn't come when it was supposed to...first time ever! So when I called...they said they would issue a new check...but if I got the other one...not to cash it. Well...of course.. I finally got the first one.. over a week late. I cashed it. Today the new issue came. So we had to take it to the SS office in Richmond. Would you believe I had to take a number, just to return their money?????? And wait...we did!! So that shot the afternoon!
Now I get to see how messed up things get with direct deposit!! The bank told me it takes them at least 30 days. SS told me 7-10 days. We shall see who wins!!
Not much snow here...but the roads are slick and icy. Glad I am home!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5849461

Ugh, eggy sulfur water is no fun, Sue! It's to bad that bathroom's got to be a thorn in your side there. I feel for ya!

Ric & Robyn, that looks awesome. You guys are kickin' butt on that room.

Howie and his mom have gone into the airport to get his sister Gwen. She's here through Saturday. :) I am feeling kinda ookey, so have stayed home so as to be close to our own bathroom from h*ll. LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5849480

Looking Great Bro!! That is gonna make life alot easier for you guys for sure...

I had a 14 hr day today that started at 5am login, but up at 3:30...I have a 9:15 start tomorrow, but then I head out for a pickup to go to Cincy VA at noon for a wait and return and his appt isn't until 3pm...so I'm guessing it will be a late one...Ron just got in from his Cincy run at 6:30 tonight for a 3pm appt today...He said the weather was nasty there tonight too...I hit some hefty crosswinds and salt trucks on I-75 trying to hold the fort on the way to Sidney and back from Troy north tonight at 5pm...South of Troy was okay, except for the bad winds, but between there and Piqua it got to be pretty rude running, and slicky slicky...We have nothing here at home on the ground or coming down at the moment, but who knows in the morning...It is back down to 28* here now...

Marcy...I agree with Kimberley...you need rails on both sides...Ya gotta come down ya know!!! LOL

Well I just moved a load of laundry, and took a shower...and it is bedtime for Bonzo here...I am whupped!!!

Have a good day tomorrow...be careful if you venture out...The idiots are on the loose on the roads...

Michele?? Are you guys okay??

Hugggs all and g'nite...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5849492

Sue no advice from me on the ripping out of the tub. Did you dig a well that has sulfur water, or are you on a city system? We lived in a house early in our marriage that had a well that was sulfur water, and it was awful. So we had a neighbor across the road that had a good well, and we carried water from his well for drinking and cooking. What a pain that was!!

I did laundry today, and then tackled the bill paying and balanced a check book. Had a bite of lunch, then started working on the data base for the cemetery. Bout got that done, and then it will go out to all of our board members, and some older citizens in the community, and their job is to furnish names and addresses of living relatives of the deceased people in this data base. Which will eventually lead to a data base that will be used for solicitation of funds for upkeep on the cemetery.

Cooked a pot of great northern beans, some cornbread, and added a smoked sausage, for supper, It was really good, and enough left over for another meal. Simple, winter fare, as well as some soups and stews. I don't often cook these meals in the summertime, but guess you could.

We had snow flurries all day, no accumulation, but at times the snow was blowing sideways, looked wicked out, but I didn't set foot out the door today!!

Well, off to read some emails and other threads. Good night folks.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5849517

Only problem with two rails is...how do you get furniture up and down the steps???? It's bad enough with one rail! But yeah...I guess you are right...I do have to come down...lol. Coming down is much easier though.
Oh and I did bills today too Bonnie...and was thinking about you when I was doing them! Just because you have mentioned that a few times!
Oh...and Robyn...great job on the primer!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #5849533

Marcy to some people paying bills is no big deal, but here it is. I just hate to do it, and seem to make a big production of it. My accounting background kicking in I suppose. Went to school, got the accounting degrees, and then landed in Human Resources, hehehe, Just don't think I could have done accounting all of my life, those numbers just sit there, and never do much interesting!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5849787

Howie does the bills in our house. He's a much better planner than I am, so I don't feel bad about it. He reconciles almost daily by looking at the bank's site and rarely has to do anything with a checkbook register. The majority of our bills are paid online through our bank (free, yay!), too. He's really good at that stuff. I'm the artistic, forgetful butterfly. LOL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #5850242

Good morning gang!
Sounds like everyone got to have a good pig out :-) We spent the holiday with friends in Indiana and had the loveliest time. Stayed till Saturday and have mostly been a slug since. It was nice to have a year off spending the day with family. Some of my nieces and nephews have really questionable tastes in domestic partners (in some cases more of a "flavor of the day"- I never know what kind of characters they'll drag in, LOL). Its just hard to look forward to spending the holiday with redneck homophobes I've never seen before. Here's one good example: my oldest great nephew just married his girlfriend because she's pregnant, only they're not sure who the father is. Could be his, or his father's, or his uncle's! Kinda gives a new twist on the term "all in the family" LOL.

We did at least drag the Christmas stuff out of the attic yesterday, and I'll get into that hot and heavy today.

Darius, hope you're feeling better, sounds like you got banged up pretty bad! I recommend playing the guilt card big time!

Ric, awesome job you guys are doing! Sure wish we could clone you- I'm sure we'd all like to have a Ric clone of our very own, LOL.

Hugs all around!
Neal
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5850659

Goodmorning, ALL! We had a couple of days of cold, damp, yucky weather, but no accumulation...YEAH! Sun is shining now, though. Suppose to have a couple of halfway decent days. Good thing, cause I STILL have that little bit of stuff to do outside. The same stuff I had left to do a week ago, that I haven't been able to force myself to do.

Darius, hope you are feeling better!

I hate bill paying and filing! Only takes 30 minutes every other week, but I dread it more than doing anything else around here.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5850675

Good Morning!

Someone asked about 'Chele... I had a note from her yesterday and they are okay. My personal guess is that she doesn't post, thinking she doesn't want to burden to us with her frustrations over their financial worries. Silly woman, what are friends for?

Ric/Robyn... that project is coming along nicely!

I'm doing nicely myself... might get my neighbor to take a mug shot later of my bruising. Pain is tolerable without taking the meds, so that's good!

Y'all be careful out on those snowy roads...
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5850853

Oooohhhh good idea about cloning Ric...but I want to clone Robyn too cause she makes CCCOOOOKKKKIIIIIEEEESSSSS!!!! :-)

Dad got results from his CT scan. His carotid is 50% clogged, but the Doc says they don't worry about that until it is 85% clogged.

Thanksgiving was wonderful...had a delightful time at DDs 16 of us all in all.

Was thankful again on Saturday with Dusty and Jim and now she's a convert on brining! She is going to end up getting me in so much trouble!!

I've been lurking and keeping up with you all. Prayers abound for those in need and hugs to all the rest of you!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
6:49 PM

Post #5851356

(hoping not to offend anyone)

I could use a venison recipe if anyone has one in their repertoire

Matt's friend shot a doe today. We're going to split it with him.
From what I was told, we will get mostly ground meat and stew meat.

I feel a little detached looking at the photo, but at least I looked.
The rule is - if you can't look at it, you shouldn't eat it
I looked - therefore I eat

He may buy another tag and see if he can snag another one... I hope he does, I would love to be able to replace most our beef eating with it.

Dove
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5851400

I totally understand about the bill paying and balancing! I have never had a husband that could manage money...I wish I did. Even though I do not work for the money that comes into our house, I sure hate watching it go out!! It is depressing I think. And when I have a family meeting about money and complain that too much is being spent on junk...everyone else gets depressed lol. I cant seem to win this battle to save my life.

Of course I always get "gardening" thrown back at me in the money department! I still say that it saves more money than I spend on it. I guess it is all they have to gripe about.. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5851515

Dovey, I make sausage out of the ground venison. It's part venison and part pork, with seasonings (not a sausage seasoning mix). I find venison fat is awful tasting so I trim every bit of it off, and the 'silver skin' as well. I'll dmail you the sausage recipe if you want. It calls for stuffing casings but we like it in patties better.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5851588

Time to move on folks!!

New room: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/929405/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5851625

Marcy yes we do have a softner. Maybe we need a different salt ?
It seems to only be in the hot water ? . We are going to check the elliments on the water heater. Hmm good to know on the filter too. Will check into that . We are on well. But its a brand new well ?would that matter ?
Gw yukko on the icky 's . feel better soon. :)
dovey just think of it as organic meat LOL
well not much going on here.
snow and cold
posted no hunting signs on our property. ummmm then grocery shopping. and that is about it.
Ha on the bill paying. T just rides me to death. Then he came home and i gave him the job. Cuz he thinks he is so much better at it wellll guess who fogot to pay some bills Hmmmm " not me " I think he gets it now. he still hasn't done the paper thing. You know make a list of all your bills and daily expenses and budget for that . HMMm i have one .
have a great day
stay warm
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5853708

dovey, I love venison! I use the ground meat the same as ground beef, just have to add a little olive oil when browning because its so lean. Some people talk about a strong, game flavor, but that seems to be dependent on the hunters skill at 'field dressing'. If it does taste gamey, a buttermilk marinade helps with that. I like winter savory to season game meats too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5854487

Juniper berries help take out the gamey taste too.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #5854708

Hey Kids... the thread got closed and moved to here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/929405/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America