Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The pumpkin that grew itself: fun article

Communities > Forums > Article: The pumpkin that grew itself
bookmark
Forum: Article: The pumpkin that grew itselfReplies: 6, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #5821860

Enjoyed reading about your volunteer pumpkin.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5822060

Two summers ago a volunteer plant came up in my neighbors yard. I had to take a picture of the developing vegetable and post it on DG to find out it was a pumpkin - err pumpkins. (So there goes my gardener hat.) It turned out to be a sugar pumpkin plant and 15 pumpkins grew and were given to the neighborhood children. That was so much fun that I planted sugar pumpkins in his yard this summer for the neighborhood kids. Starting in July, they were asking "are they ready yet?" LOL This time the vine was not a sugar pumpkin and made only 3 or 4 largish pumpkins. The biggest pumpkin was pumpkin napped one day so I picked them all early and put them in my basement until mid-October. This year there was only one pumpkin per child instead of several - but they still enjoyed them. And, I had a volunteer of the previous year's crop in my garden! So I will have a tiny pumpkin for my own table this Thursday.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5822108

You have some lovely volunteers at your house!!!
What a nice pumpkin you grew, or the fairies did. lol
I found squash and pumpkins to be one of the easiest things to grow...they aren't fussy just need lots of water! So, will you be grownig more next year?
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5822801

Absolutely - however I will pant them where they will be out of sight to passer-bys.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #5828947

I meant to save some seeds from my volunteer, but the 'innards' molded before I got around to it and had to to be tossed. But I will find a space somewhere for a pumpkin vine. It was such fun, even though we only had the one pumpkin.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5834734

Have you seen volunteer tomato plants? Can they bear? I guess it will be too cool now for them to have a chance.

Do rabbits eat the fuzzy leaves? Our squirrels seem to stay out by the horses and away from the house where the dogs are, but the rabbits and gophers like to taunt the dogs. Our caretakers 4 yr old enlarged a gopher hole and fed him tortillas when he came near the top!! It would be funnier if he would be satisfied with tortillas!! LOL
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5847087

I get hundreds of volunteer tomato plants every year and they bear just fine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The pumpkin that grew itself Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Punkins Sunflower1888 1 Nov 25, 2008 11:19 AM
Volunteer Pumpkin in my Neighborhood Acemoose 3 Nov 5, 2011 11:15 AM
I loved this, Jan. nap 0 Oct 31, 2011 6:27 AM
Eucalyptus PeppeGZD 0 Oct 31, 2011 7:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America