Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Volunteer Tomato Plants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #5824390

This is my first year with a vegetable garden and have read may threads in Dave's Garden. I have something I haven't read about - tomato plants setting off babies/volunteers. The first ones I saw were near the base of the tomato plant that grew 5 ft tall, but only produced about a dozen smallish (for beefsteak) tomatoes. I never let any fall to the ground to go fallow. Next I have a couple small plants started from seed in pots transplanted mid Oct that have a volunteer next to them and lastly a volunteer in the middle of the growing beets that were planted mid Oct too (and are 6 - 8 in high).

This is probably all a moot point since we may FINALLY get cool weather this week (mid to high 60's) and continue in the 40's at night. I guess it will be too cool for tomatoes.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5843136

You could be getting some scattered seeds from little critters sharing your crop with you. I've got volunteers coming up all over the yard from the fruit snatched by the ground squirrels last year. If they were in a half-way decent spot, I left them (but provided no special care); of those, some did well some didn't.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5843956

Well, we will see if anything comes of them, especially since tomatoes are not usually a winter crop. We can get a few nights with frost, but I don't think I've seen any days less than mid 50's. Two years ago we had a couple cold nights with some down to 26! DD took a frozen disks 1/2 thick from horses water barrels!

We get a lot of volunteer trees (not fruit) from some unidentified prolific local variety. Usually a dozen starts in the pasture during summer if we have had decent rain in winter. They are very fast growing and some have started literally next to the foundation (I guess where seed has blown). I need to cut and kill those - especially the one wedged between foundation, AC unit and gas line - as they would be fire hazards. We try to transplant the ones from pasture during their dormant winter period and place them where we can benefit from the shade in the house.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5846801

If your volunteer tomatoes are from hybrid varieties, they aren't likely to reproduce true to the mother plant. Hybrids are a cross of two or more varieties and seed from them will revert to one of the plants used in the hybridization process. Sometimes you will get good tomatoes from them but I've seen cases where they put out very undesirable tomatoes. It's just a dicey proposition. If they are heirloom varieties, they should reproduce true.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5847291

The first 2 plants were just from WalMart, then 3 from my seed packets in a different planter and 2 from neighbor's seed packets planted in pots & transplanted in Oct. I doubt any are heirloom. It will be interesting to watch, none the less.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5848357

If they are from seed packets bought from Wal Mart they will be fine. I thought they were seeds from tomatoes that dropped off your plants. No worry about the hybrid factor after all :-)
gardening_momma
southwest, OH

June 16, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6692708

I was searching for something else and came across this thread. I have a question along the same lines, so I will go ahead and add to the thread...

NatureLover1950 said: "If your volunteer tomatoes are from hybrid varieties, they aren't likely to reproduce true to the mother plant. "

I have volunteer tomato plants from last year's Sweet 100 grape tomato plants and possibly another tomato (but I don't remember what it was). Is Sweet 100 a hybrid?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6693690

Yes sweet 100 is a hybrid

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America