Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: What are your Thanksgiving plans?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 89, Views: 949
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

November 24, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5825176

There are a total of 426 votes:

I am hosting a huge dinner for family and friends
(73 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I am attending a dinner at another person's home
(140 votes, 32%)
Red dot

It will be a quiet Thanksgiving with little fanfare here
(145 votes, 34%)
Red dot

I will be watching or attending a sporting event
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

We have already celebrated Thanksgiving
(16 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Thanksgiving is not celebrated where I live
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other
(35 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Potagere

November 24, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5825180

We are hosting a small dinner for friends --- a German couple who have never had a Thanksgiving meal before. Although small, it will have everything that was traditional in our childhood homes in the US.
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
10:18 AM

Post #5825191

Heading to a daughters house just a few miles away.
Certainly is nice the next generation is doing most of these anymore.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #5825221

I will be running around for 2 days getting everything ready for my honey's and my family and one neighbor that has no where to go... we are up to 16 so far... yikes
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2008
11:14 AM

Post #5825237

Well, not first to vote, but first in that category... LOL No fanfare here. Work the days before and work the days after. Just like Christmas. Retail business has its' downside.

Never the less, I have much to be thankful for and will keep that thought in my mind and my heart. Happy Thanksgiving all
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #5825257

Potagere, we always had that tradition too when we lived in Europe. Every Thanksgiving we included someone who wasn't familiar with the Holiday. At one time we had seven different nationalities at the table.
This time around we are invited to friends, and will be contributing a few dishes.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5825266

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving if I didn't get to cook. And I wish I had more to cook for, it will just be 4 of us. Then the next day is our traditional sister day, spend the day laughing with(at?) my sisters. We try to get together with just the girls a few times a year, but never miss the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5825340

We'll be going around the corner to a son's on Thursday. DDIL's family will be here from Kentucky to celebrate little Maggie's first birthday. Then on Sat. we will have the big family dinner ( either at our house or fellowship hall - dependent on weather). There is a possibility of about 40. Everyone brings a dish. I LOVE Thanksgiving.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5825343

We will be just the 4 of us for Thanksgiving Day. Me, DW, DS, & MIL.
Sunday whole family comes to our house. Lots of them must travel over 200 miles. Probably around 15 to 20 people.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 24, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5825345

I will miss the cooking this year for the first time ever. All our families seem to have other plans, so it will just be the two of us and DH says not to cook. Actually, I love cooking and the more the merrier, so it won't really seem like Thanksgiving to me, as I will be busy doing other things. No shopping for me the day after. That is my idea of hell on earth! I know lots of people enjoy getting up way before dawn and standing in cold lines to get those bargains, but I'm not one of them, so y'all have a blast and stay warm!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone :-)
Potagere

November 24, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5825357

Dutchlady1,
It IS fun to do that, isn't it? Last year, we had friends from Algeria. It was my first year cooking a halal Thanksgiving! Fortunately, someone else butchered and cleaned the halal turkey that morning!
Sounds like there are going to be some BIG Thanksgiving Day feasts! Happy Day! Especially to good friends like podster who won't get any fanfare!
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 24, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5825379

We are invited to my brother's for the big turkey day. I'm bringing 3 different side dishes. I did buy a smaller turkey for in my freezer to roast for the 2 of us so I'll have left overs. Thankful for another year of good health.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5825382

It will be just the 4 of us this year. I was hoping in-laws would be able to travel here since my step-son will not be able to travel, but with the way the airlines are now, it's not going to happen. We have much to be thankful for this year :)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5825538

My little 'crowd' seems to be growing. DS, DDIL and 2 DGDs (19 & 14). My aunt (who is 86) and uncle just got back from a trip to the Amazon (Brazil), so they are coming and bringing photos of their trip. I have a widowed friend who is joining us this year because most of her family will be out of town. DGD #1 is bringing her BFF who didn't have other plans. Just the other day, DS called and said would we mind if he invited his friend (they have been close since grammar school). Of course, he had already invited him LOL. Friend is still single and has moved in with his ailing father to take care of him and rarely gets a break. Oh, I didn't mention that we have moved Thanksgiving to Friday to accommodate everyone's schedules. So I guess my real answer should have been it will be a quiet Thanksgiving. I am going to cook a pork tenderloin for DH and me and do some 'cook ahead' for Friday.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5825620

Going to DSis's house this year instad of cooking. We will bring a dish or two. So far she has counted 20 for us. Should be fun.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5825682

I have about 25 coming, my parents, brother and family, sister and family, brother's best friend, the neighbor across the street, but to accommodate work schedules, we are having it on Friday.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5825690

Other - I am hosting a dinner for immediate family and my son's girlfriend. Two sons home for college. So while it's not HUGE, it hopefully will not be quiet and there will be lots of celebrating and fanfare!
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5825707

Staying home, off the highways, nice, safe & warm. Where's my Thanksgivings chef's hat... ☺
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5825739

For the first time in about 5-6 years I will be cooking dinner for DDH, all our kids (5), their spouses and the grands. During the time that I didn't do it all myself I had to depend on my kids to help out and I felt it was a lot more trouble than it was worth. Since I seem to be doing better healthwise I want to do it all myself. I might as well cook for a big bunch as for 2 or 4. It's just a matter of adding another turkey and making a bit more of the sides. EASY!!! I have so much to be thankful for that I don't feel that cooking - the one thing I can do really well - for the ones I love is a hardship. I love to cook and would rather eat my own cooking than someone else's because I don't do "fancy" just good. Our thanksgiving will be on Saturday after the day. On the official day DDH and I will be celebrating w/king crab legs.

Ann
edited to try to correct spelling and grammar.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 8:41 AM
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5825979

Since my DH and my DD are in the restaurant business and both must work on Thanksgiving (every year) we will be celebrating on Sunday when they both have off. Most years I would cook the dinner while they were at work and we would celebrate when they get home but this year they have odd hours. It still feels like Thanksgiving when we get together on Sunday so that's fine with me.
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5826069

Its at our home. DH and me, our kids. spouses and grandkids. 19 and counting. We have a great time. lots of fun and laughter. We eat all day ( imagine that lol) We have all sorts of fun traditions. I get christmas ornaments for each person according to their personalities and use them as place cards. They decide which one is for them. pretty funny sometimes. I have been doing this for years so they have ornaments one for every year of their life. Its pretty funny to look back at the ornaments and see what they were interested in at different stages of their lifes. I also put the date on them.
I also get christmas pjs for all the kids. When they are tired and full and ready to to comfy they have new soft pjs to change into. Kind of kicks of the Christmas fun.
Linda

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5826094

What fun traditions Linda! Something your children & grands will remember always!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5826125

DW is roasting an 18lb bird and I'm smoking two turkey breasts. We'll have 15-20 here at the house. Wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Doug

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5826143

We are all gathering at my youngest sister's home on Wednesday. She has an 18 month old and does not wish to pack up all that Audrey needs, plus a few dishes. She has ample room, so we'll all pile in there. I am designated 'turkey cooker' and will also be bringing along squash casserole, purple hull peas and cooked apples...all from my gardens.

On Thursday well gather at my cousin Greg's with extended family and a few friends (about 30 folks total) and have another feast.
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5826362

Hope to see my boys and their SO's on Christmas.. same with sister's two and families, so Thanksgiving will just be me, DS and DBIL. A quiet little dinner with scaled-down dishes. A turkey breast instead of a big 'ol bird. Gotta have those turkey sammiches afterward!

Barb

P.S. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 24, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5826386

We are still undecided! We will be cooking a turkey but my elderly in-laws have not been feeling well this week so far and my D.H. thinks he may be getting a cold, too. I'm the only healthy one in the bunch! What I like best is left over turkey sandwiches with cream cheese and cranberry sauce on them. Happy Thanksgiving!
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

November 24, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5826411

I do not call this other persons home. My daughter and I decided several years ago since I have always done all the holidays that she would take Thanksgiving. So all I do are the pies and the cranberry pineapple salad...this year a new addition to the family as my oldest son is engaged and her and her two teenage girls will be with us. The entire family of 12..wonderful time.

D
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5826497

I'll still do the cooking but this year it will be at my DD's house. Nice. That means she has to clean it up. {{evil turkey grin}}

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May your harvests increase every season!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

November 24, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5826516

I have an older sister, Cathy, in KY who always hosts Thanksgiving at her house (My family is originally from OH) for all of us. She's been doing it for decades as my DM got older, to give her a break. :-)

My parents, my twin sister and her DH and their 3 kids, my younger sister and her DS and DDIL are all coming from different cities in OH;

My oldest sister and her son are coming from CO and her son is coming from IL.

Cathy and her DH, most likely her DH's widowed DF, their DD and DSIL, and their family of 3 kids, their DS, DDIL and their family of 3 kids.

Myself and DH who live 30 mins. away. (Just the 2 of us... we don't have kids).

That comes to 28 people.

But, if my 2 brother's and their families were coming (they both can't this year) from OH and TX, then it would be 8 more for a total of 36.

Don't know if Cathy is having any of her DH's family and/or any of her friends join us Thanksgiving Day.

We all help with bringing food and/or work to prepare the afternoon dinner.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 1:07 PM

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 1:12 PM

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 2:49 PM
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5826543

Me and DH are heading to TN to my mothers. All my sisters (3) and my brother along with their spouses are gonig to be there with their children. Plus there is always a few extra people. We are looking at around 20. TN is beautiful this time of year. We all either bring dishes or we bring stuff to cook there so as not to put all on mom so she can rest and spend time with everyone. Then we are going to my DH on Sunday to spend time with them. Another year to be truely thankful.
dawn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 24, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5826684

We celebrated Thanksgiving in October (Canada).
It's not quite as big a celebration as it is in the States.
Our big day is Christmas, when all the family gets together :-)
bruce583b4
Poulsbo, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #5827166

Will be somewhere between WA and FL, on the road with DD, DSIL, 2DGS, and Linus the Great Dane. We'll be pulling a 20ft trailer with all of their belongings for the move to FL. We'll be thankful that everything fell into place for the move and that all is going well (Finally). I am thankful that I get to help out on the trip and will be back home in three weeks.

Thumbnail by bruce583b4
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5827207

I get together with another single friend and we cook dinner from scratch every year, alternating houses. So far we have banned marshmallows on sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and those fried onions rings on string beans. Topping the meal is my friend's homemade soy milk pumpkin pie. (No seconds on pie for me!) LOL
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 24, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5827212

Hey, Bruce, travel safely and have a great Thanksgiving on the road!
bruce583b4
Poulsbo, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5827309

Thanks Hemophobic, We'll do just that!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 24, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5827417

I'm an other because I'm in Canada!
But ..some years ago in my neighborhood a couple invited over for Thanksgiving dinner those of us who did not have family around or had not been invited anywhere. It was called the Lost Souls Dinner! I think there were originally about 10 of us. The man of the house is the cook and there is always a great soup ( I think he watches all the cooking shows and gets all the cooking magazines!) before the turkey which he usually cooks/stuffs in a different method each year. Most of us bring a contributuion to the meal often what is left from the garden and of course there is pumpkin pie for dessert. Not so many of us now - 6 this year I think. Some have moved away, some had passed away.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5827501

I love reading this thread because it reaffirms the idea for me that Thanksgiving is a state of mind! I'm reading about dinners involving all different combinations of people, held on different days over the long weekend. . . no problem! It's all about celebrating the bounty of the earth, and being together, not to mention having an excuse to cook with a lot of fat, salt, and sugar!
We're going to my daughter's house, armed with several dishes full of the above.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5827606

Well said CapeCodGardener! Thanksgiving is a state of mind. It matters not if you can trace your ancestry back to the Pilgrims or not. We should all stop and be thankful for our blessings each year.

I have Norwegian family and after attending one dinner here in the States, they always celebrate it every year...inviting friends and neighbors. I have to send a few 'essentials,' as rubbed sage is difficult to come by in Norway and they prefer the stuff right out of my herb garden!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 25, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5827717

Just the 2 of us, so we eat duck. DH doesn't care for turkey anyway. My brother from NM has just left--he had to get his NE fish taste. Getting too aged for many celebrations.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5827727

I'm hosting a small Thanksgiving but TDay is always lots of fanfare. I love TDay, it's my very favorite holiday and it always has the best stories. Like the first TDay- microwaving the bird @ 9 PM. The 3 hour gravy (they claimed). They don't understand...First you make a roux... I didn't realize the hostess was going to get a SMOKED turkey! The TDay my chef BIL pestered me just ONCE to often and got nailed w/ a raw dinner roll. The year I invited a complete stranger (from Poland) I met on the street & his friend to TDay. He was taking photos of intersections for ?Google/?insurance companies and I asked him what he was doing. I didn't find out my fiance was wearing his weapon that night until much later. I love Thanksgiving and will be taking leftovers to my In-Laws who will not be able to attend.

Maggie

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 25, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5827970

Thanksgiving was very quiet - no family in Calgary. Christmas this year will also be quiet. It's the 2 of us, and we likely won't have anything special, except for the Christmas Eve church service.

When my DH gets some more work "under his belt" we hope to have it better in the New Year :-) The new people he started with, this weekend, are happy with his work, so hopefully they'll give him some more lol

You're so right, though - it's all about the feeling of those you have around you!! I'm blessed to have my DH in my life - he makes me laugh!

-Susan-
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 25, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5828070

Tallulah: Here's wishing you and your DH prosperity and peace in 2009! May you have many more blessings to celebrate next Thanksgiving.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5828130

My MIL, DH and I have reservations at a very nice buffet for Thanksgiving. They serve all the usual stuff and lots of seafood and salads and hors d'ouvres and especially deserts -- also champagne. We are all looking forward to it.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5828217

DH and I are flying to Oklahoma to spend it with my grandparents, aunts, cousin, mom, dad and brother. We are each responsible for a different dish and it is so much fun. We each write an entry about what we are thankful for in a family journal every year. Fun to read back on. Oh and we watch football. :) Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday.
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5828334

Got to work. :p
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 25, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5828395

Creekwalker, Boo Hiss, Fie on work! Hope you'll make up for it when you get home.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #5828662

We had our T day last week when DD came up from Texas. I had another today with a group of friends.This was a fun sharing dinner with everyone bringing a dish and a lot of laughter to share.
Thursday will be football day. Than i start ringing the bell for Salvation Army once every week till Christmas eve.volunteering for bell ringer is the biggest blessing i get for myself the whole year. Don't forget to put a little money in the bucket. We have a lot more mouths to feed this year and all of us have so much to be thankful for. At least i do.
Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Vickie
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #5828942

I'm glad to see that so many other folks celebrate on a different day. Anyway, to me, any day I can have my friends and family around is a day to give thanks. Besides, turkey and pumpkin pie are about my 2 favorite foods : )
LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #5828975

We're just having family but still doing the big dinner. I was surprised to see that a quiet day was in the majority. I thought we were the only ones. LOL
dobra1629
Houma, LA

November 25, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5829220

My mom and dad are the two bestest cooks in the universe so that is where we are going for Thanksgiving. I have 6 siblings and all of us are married with kids and we will all be there. It is an awesome day to look forward to every year. All of us being together in one house is a sight to behold. The food and the fun usually lingers into the late hours. Time seems to be ticking slow because I am looking forward to Thursday.

Dorothy
DiOhio
Corning, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5829264

I voted "other"...I will be cooking a huge dinner for my husband and myself. We love leftovers !
youngershirl
Orange Park, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5829763

What beautiful traditions. Thanksgiving is indeed a special day of the year. One on which we can reflect just how blessed we are to live in such a wonderful country. A country with bountiful harvests, wonderful people and endless opportunities. I am so thankful for all the blessings bestowed upon me and my family. There will be around 20 this year with grandkids and extended family. Turkey, ham and all the trimmings Yum-yum.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 25, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #5830413

Always go to the in-laws for Thanksgiving...DH has 11 siblings and most of them also have kids - even a couple of the kids have kids!...a house full!

Later in the afternoon we head to my mother's (dad's gone) to spend time with my side of the family - well, those that can make it.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5830973

I Put not celebrated- well we were but my son got too ill to come - so we wont, not on our own. One day we will I expect!
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5831234

Heading up to Vt to see my mother, brother and his in-laws in the morning.

But as is DH's and my tradition, we will also do our own on Sunday
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5831880

I'm plotting for Thanksgiving. Sorry but I have to do alot of scheming to be on the 'nice' side of the Santa list this year. No matter how hard I try, I seem to rack up alot of 'naughtys' sigh. Happy Turkey Day to you and yours my American friends :-)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 26, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5831913

Seriously: Happy Turkey Day to you and yours my American friends . This is one good day to look upon with wide open eyes and wonder to see all that you have. May your day be so full that you burst a button of your heart.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2008 9:40 PM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
7:00 AM

Post #5832137

Aw shucks, DN, that's nicely put. I guess you Canadians already had thanks giving a couple weeks ago. Is that right?
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #5832282

Usually we host at our home.
This year its off to moms yay!!!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5832606

It's such a pleasure to read about the plans of other DG'ers. Hollywood and TV have come to depict Thanksgiving Day as a time families come together reluctantly and wind up fighting and throwing food at one another, and saying mean and spiteful things. The posts in this thread speak to what Thanksgiving is really about, a time for families to celebrate long-shared traditions, stories and dreams, both old and new, and feast on lovingly prepared delecacies from recipes passed down from Mom and Gramma. God bless those of you who have invited others to share in your Holiday. You will be rewarded. DH and I have come full circle, that is we took over the holiday preparations and hosting from our families years ago. Now the next generation has taken over from us. The children and grandchildren are too far away to visit, and our celebration will be quite small in comparison to past years. Just the two of us with a turkey breast in lieu of the whole bird, a toned-down menu, and a single pumpkin pie. With everything going on in the world, I believe we are blessed. I am grateful for the love of my DH, my family, my kitty, my garden, the Macy's Parade, the Dog Show, and being a part of the Davesgarden family. God bless everyone here and be safe.

Happy Thanksgiving
LoriLL
Grand Blanc, MI

November 26, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5832801

I received about 8 invitations from friends and family since my husband recently passed away and my family lives out state. I almost joked about comparing the cooks to choose my destination! Actually I accepted the first face to face invite from my friend that was my substitute band director while my husband was ill. Steve (my sub) and his wife Dortha have been good friends and a wonderful support for me. Steve is also a big hunter so we are having two turkeys, one store bought and one from last seasons hunting. Plus we get to watch White Christmas, a tradition of Steves.

Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal to cook so I will miss that part but it will be good to be around friends. Maybe I'll make my turkey meal and invite all those folks that invited me to my home in December.

God Bless and have a joyous time as we remember all His gifts to be thankful for.
Lori
hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5833180

Cooking big for just DH and my 2 girls. The smallest bird I could find was 18 lbs. : D Turkey enchiladas, anyone?
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5833260

I voted "other" since it will be a big meal, but couldn't justify the "huge". Three of my four brothers, two SIL's and one niece will be coming so there will be nine altogether.

Like Podster, I'm in retail so am working til 7 tonight and will have to be back at work at 10 AM on Friday.

Thanksgiving has been my least favorite holiday for years, but I don't seem to mind it this year --- think I'm finally mellowing with age?
twinkielee
Minden, LA

November 26, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5833400

Our family will all be having a potluck Thanksgiving dinner (lunch for you northern folks) at my mom's church fellowship hall. Don't know how many there are of us anymore, but it's a bunch! DH and I are hoping that number will increase by 1 by the end of the day as we're waiting on our #2 grand's birth! Everyone have a blessed and safeThanksgiving.
gardenergail
Bay, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #5833596

I wasn't sure how to vote so I picked "Other" because I am eating at mom's but we (me and my sisters) are cooking and bringing all the food to her house! LOL So I'm not really "hosting" but I'm not really "attending" either! I know one thing, it's gonna be GOOD!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Gail
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

November 26, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5833668

Everyone looks really busy. I'm cooking for my 2 grown sons, my ex and a couple who live next door. It's expensive, a lot of work and I enjoy it. BUT...I am looking forward to having my sons and their potential future wives taking over. It's a big job and I'm ready to retire from it any year now. :-)
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5833678

hem_iamy do you ship to Philadelphia PA? ;p
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5833692

Thanks Hemophobic, but I have to work tonight, tomorrow night and friday night and it's 12 hour shifts. I will make up for it by having a nice turkey dinner for everyone on Sunday. It'll be my dh and my two grown sons. Dh is making a small dinner for himself and my youngest son tomorrow and I will get to eat free dinner at work twice. lol

You all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

This message was edited Nov 26, 2008 2:35 PM
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5834439

When I turned 68 we decided to stop having 25 people for Thanksgiving with me doing all the work and announced that from now on we would be going out for Thanksgiving dinner - but that all were welcome for the big Christmas Ham Dinner.

My husb and I eat so little - Last year we both brought home doggie boxes with over half our dinners for the local cats from the neighbors barn.
This year I got an Over-Stuffer_roaster and had it cut in half - will cook half with stuffing and sweet potatoes and a can of corn - it will last us until Sunday at least. And it sure didn't cost $18.75 per platter.

People don't realize it yet but times are going to get tougher. We like to prepare ahead of time. We will spend the holiday together and thank the Lord for all our blessings.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #5835170

Voted dinner at anothers house but I'm not all for making an annual fuss for a dinner. Would love to just stay in and enjoy a day off of work to be with the family no turkey required lol.

Some years we just go out to eat and that suites me just fine.

Now, counting your blessings and giving thanks, that's a must-do every day of the year.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

November 27, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5836269

3rd year in a row - Going w/ DS and DIL to a rustic place along the ocean coast. We have the usual fare, but it is much easier if Costco gravy, spuds, turkey roast, etc are taken along. I do make dressing and carameld sweet potatoes. We stay till Sunday, watch stormy ocean, read books, play games, walk beach. No TV, no phone, no bother!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5836379

I am hosting a small dinner with 9 family members, including my 89 yr. old father. My sister and hubby went to Maui for the week to celebrate Tday with her daughter that lives over there.
She called this morning to tell us that she was overlooking that beautiful blue/green ocean and it was sunny and warm!! Thanks a lot sis. lol

Donna
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5837054

I loved my day at my brother's house down the road with our closest 42 relatives...smiling...and my kids and families weren't even there. They come in tomorrow and I can't wait!!! Tonight is football night with more turkey and lots of homemade pies...Texas vs Texas A&M.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5837924

For the second year in a row, we had our family feast in the fellowship hall at my mother-in-law's church. We had it there last year because I'd been in a car accident and wasn't up to hosting anything at our house. It was so nice having all that space, banquet tables, not to mention the whole church kitchen, we decided to just keep having it there! The kids can safely play in the adjacent nursery, supervised by the older ones, and there's room for the grownups to have a couple games of euchre going after everyone's done eating. We use disposable plates and cutlery, so the cleanup is minimal.

It's great --- the best thing is, we don't have to freak about having our tiny house ready for all the guests. It was so cramped, especially if the kids were here, and everyone has to perch on chairs and couches with plates teetering on their knees since we don't have a dining room. LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5839668

Canadian Thanksgiving is long gone. We celebrate the second Monday in October.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5839884

US Thanksgiving is gone as well. Do you Canadians have the same stories as those of us in the US about Indians and Pilgrims sitting down for a peaceful dinner together after a hard first year for the pilgrims? Or do you all have a different Thanksgiving story? I would love to know.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5840224

I've never heard much of a story. Just a day set aside to give thanks at a time when harvest isn't a distant memory. But actually, until the American Revolution, it was really just North America so a great deal of the heritage is probably the same.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5841155

I voted "Other" because there's just the two of us, DH usually cooks a 9 to 10 pound turkey w/ all of the trimmings and dishes, but this year we decided to take a trip to Shreveport, LA. I've been there before but he hasn't, so what the hey! We went, gave thanks to each other and everything else we are thankful for, which is everything, had a great time, drove back on Thanksgiving Day and realized we forgot to take the turkey out of the freezer before we left LOL! So he's cooking it today.

I was reading all of your stories about family and friends and being all over the world, I think that is so neat to host a Thanksgiving dinner to someone who has never seen it. What a treat!
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5841720

I voted other, too.

My brother and I went to my mom's house and fixed dinner there for my 84 year old aunt, my brother's family, and me and my kids. None of us has the room to have everyone else over, and since mom's house is still furnished, we gathered there. My brother went over and started the turkey early, I went over around 10 and started getting everything else ready. My son and his girlfriend picked up my aunt. SIL, my nephew, and my daughter all showed up. Everything turned out really well. After dinner we sat around and went through mom's old family photos. The day just flew by, and I think everyone had a good time.

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5842462

Had both of my military kids home this Thanksgiving. My daughter in the Air Force and my son in Army. So it was a wonderful day to spend w them..
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5842712

Moodene ~ you are blessed to have had them both on the holiday! I am so happy for you... thank them both for their service and thank you for sharing them! pod
NatureWalker
New York & Terrell, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5843203

I voted for: It will be a quiet (yeah right) Thanksgiving with little fanfare here.

Mother is near 79, my cousin is disabled.

My eldest daughter attended with my 2&1/2 year old grandson. He was enough noise, laughter & joy to all for all of us here.

~* Robin
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5843262

Deb, it's neat you all went through photos together after dinner. :)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5849550

I didn't plan on my two small grandchildren 'opening a plant shop' with my plants, but it kept them busy spraying water all afternoon...on Friday after Thanksgiving...only a few mishaps...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5849722

Beautiful growop and beautiful helpers. What more could you ask for? Thanks for sharing gessiegail.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5849730

I just had to share...as that is how I learned to love plants...my grandma...thanks to you, dahlianut!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5849969

Oh, those grandchildren are adorable. But my plant shop doesn't have wine glasses or I would never get home!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2008
6:43 AM

Post #5849986

Too funny paj :-)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5851290

The wine glasses have mini sinningias in them! (LOL)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5852217

Oh, darn. I was going to patronize your grandchildrens' garden shop. I might go for sinningias if I knew what they were.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America