Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter: How late to mulch

Communities > Forums > Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter
bookmark
Forum: Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for WinterReplies: 2, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lizpadjen
Preston, MN

November 24, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #5825333

I am very confused about the protection from frost heave. I have read that it is good to wait to mulch until after a good freeze. How hard a freeze? Is it ok to wait as long as temperatures don't get too warm after the frosts? Once there is a frost what temperatures are dangerous? I live in zone 4.
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

June 13, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6681660

I'd like the same answers as Liz... I've heard that some perennials shouldn't be mulched. Is that true???
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6978521

Hi, just found this question!

The key is to keep a steady temperature around the base/roots of a plant during freezing weather. If you mulch too soon after the first frost, you risk having a warm snap follow which will stimulate the already-warm plant to start growing again. Here in Zone 6, I usually mulch after about 10 days of consistently cold/frosty weather. If that happens early in the fall, I wait because most likely there'll be another warm spell.

Do some research for your area, or ask a nursery about the best way to handle your particular climate.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Frost Heave: Preparing for Winter Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Frost heave Hemophobic 6 Nov 22, 2008 7:23 PM
strawberries doone 1 Jan 11, 2010 4:19 PM
too late to mulch for me! binibusybee 0 Jan 11, 2010 4:33 PM
Haunt the Christmas tree lots keferraro 0 Nov 14, 2011 4:31 PM
Lost my broccoli to this! jmc1987 0 Nov 29, 2013 9:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America