Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: love your stories

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
walleneyevette
Jasper, GA

November 24, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5825563

i love your stories sharon, please keep writing. as i was reading about your black walnut nightmares it brought back lots of memories. we had a few battles with them and it didn't help that the boys had better aim than the girls.i had a few bruises every time we visited my aunt's house in the fall. dad even refused to go back untill all the nuts had been picked up because the only broken bone he ever had in his life was from a walnut. really messed his ankle up bad that year. you for got the smell from the husk before it dried, i was warned not to pick at the green walnuts because they would turn my hands brown, but being a sickly child they didn't warn me of the smell. god iwas sick for months, once you get the smell in your head it sticks. from then on i got out of removing the husks but still got picked to beat the stupid things with a hammer every fall. oh yes how about hickory nuts? when we moved to the north ga. mountains the lot next door was covered in hickory nuts(hate them also, i got stuck with picking the nuts out every fall )i didn't think too much about them untill that fall and my husband was in california for a few days and the winds of fall started here. they are worse than any windstorm i have ever been in. it was about two in the morning when i heard it moving in and i refused to even unlock a door at that time of night. when the bombardment started i didn't know what to do. all the hickory nuts started going everywhere bouncing off the roof and worse of all hitting my husbands new dodge truck. he forgot about them also. needless to say the truck had several dimples by morning and the worse part is he had the truck keys with him. i won't even go there the tree came down as soon as he got home! thanks for the memories.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5826777

What a story!!! Yes, those hickory nuts could easily be thrown by the wind! There are some in the lot behind me, and every spring I find many hickory nuts buried in my outdoor pots...the squirrels leave them as gifts, I am sure...well meaning squirrels.

Thank you for writing, I am glad you have fun memories, too.
And you are right, nothing like that smell!

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Black walnuts/tin roofs Hemophobic 7 Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM
Work ahead... catmad 5 Nov 22, 2008 4:00 PM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America