Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut: English walnuts

Communities > Forums > Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut
bookmark
Forum: Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black WalnutReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
whiteapple5
Quincy, WA

November 24, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5825798

Hi Sharon,
My Mom has had an English walnut tree for years here in Washington State.
So believe me I know about picking, hulling, and drying walnuts.
Our renter of Mom's farm just this past spring tore out all the orchard trees to farm the ground under the trees, including the walnut tree.
Wonder if I should do something with the walnut tree trunk itself? Guess we could saw it up and make round things to sit on, or put pots of plants on? Would be a shame if the tree was just sawed up for fire wood. Even if I saved just one piece of the trunk of the tree. Thanks for reminding me how valuable and wonderful walnut wood is.
Thanks for your article. It was great.
Our walnut shells are light brown. I gave most of the walnuts away, and still have 2 buckets left. I have been picking them myself for the past 2 years since Mom has been sick. Did not miss that job this fall.
Haaaaapppppy Thanksgiving.
Later, Judy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5826769

Hi Judy...English walnuts, yep, I love them too. Washington state sure is full of good things, apples and walnuts...now when I buy apples I find myself looking for those that came from your direction. I did that just yesterday.

Obsessive soul that I am, I'll be checking out my English walnut purchase next.

Yes, do keep some of the wood. I lost an ash a few years ago, and kept its stump. I have a huge pot on it, with ivy growing out, and I love it. So will you.

Happy Thanksgiving back! Surround yourself with all those generations, and enjoy!
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Under the Spreading Walnut Tree: Black Walnut Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Black walnuts/tin roofs Hemophobic 7 Nov 21, 2008 5:01 AM
Work ahead... catmad 5 Nov 22, 2008 4:00 PM
Too funny postmandug 1 Nov 20, 2008 4:38 PM
More plants to add to the list..... Sharran 1 Aug 28, 2014 7:20 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 20, 2008 6:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America