Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The pumpkin that grew itself: Volunteer Pumpkin in my Neighborhood

Communities > Forums > Article: The pumpkin that grew itself
bookmark
Forum: Article: The pumpkin that grew itselfReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

November 24, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5826179

My friend Crhis has a beautiful house, yard, garden. He has big bushes in front of his house, and a pretty lawn.

Early this summer I saw a STRANGE orange round THING hanging from one of the bushes.

It got bigger and bigger and bigger and when I walked over to the bush to see exactly WHAT this strange bulbous thing was- - To my surprise I notice the bush was LACED with green vines and this thing was.. a Pumpkin!!

I managed to corner Chris one day and ask him about this -- "Well, we had a pumpkin on our doorstep for Hallowween last year and the squirrels ate their way thru it and one of the seeds got planted...so we just left it there and let it grow!!"

It got so big I wondered how on earth it could still hang on its vine about 2 feet off the ground!!!

Finally in August, it was about 15 inches in diameter and one day it was ...gone. WHERE DID IT GO??!!

LOL -- a day later, I saw it, with a BIG blue ribbon attached to it-- at the County Fair.

It eventually became a pie --

All of this, just becuz of a coupla hungry squirrels at Halloween last year -- LOL!!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #5828950

Great story, moose! thanks for sharing.
hikerpat
Knoxville, TN

October 31, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8870522

My volunteer pumpkins never made it to a county fair, front stoop, Halloween decoration, or anything else. In my house, it became food - I cooked it in the pressure cooker, drained it in an apple cider bag from the Vita Mix, measured various amounts into zipper top bags, and put them in the freezer, to be thawed out as needed for baking. The heaviest pumpkin I ever had was about 17 pounds. But, beware, anyone who finds one of these vines growing in their yard - they are huge (the leaves, alone, are enormous) and will take over. Of course, we all know that if a squash vine is cut, the entire plant dies - right??

Thumbnail by hikerpat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pastapicker
Columbus, OH

November 5, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8877687

Definitely the best use for a pumpkin, hikerpat!

I have a volunteer also, with one single fruit---but last week's freeze did in the vine and it is far from ripe. I'm contemplating doing what Laura Ingalls Wilder's mother did when an early freeze did the same to their crop. Has anyone ever made green pumpkin pie?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The pumpkin that grew itself Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fun article Dutchlady1 6 Dec 1, 2008 2:16 PM
Punkins Sunflower1888 1 Nov 25, 2008 11:19 AM
I loved this, Jan. nap 0 Oct 31, 2011 6:27 AM
Eucalyptus PeppeGZD 0 Oct 31, 2011 7:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America