-
AuthorContent
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 24, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5827060

Hey!!!
I have tonight covered ..BUT for some reason everyone around here expects supper so I need a plan for couple of days..LOL
We are having Steak and Brussles Sprouts with a Potatoe or Salad..
How about you?? Looking for ideas..
Kylie
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5827078

Some folks like a big pot of soup or stew or chili that will last them several days. Or they like to cook a big ham and eat that until is is all gone. I like "new" food. So, for us it's usually pork chops or lamb shoulder chops or the like w/mac and cheese or baked pots and a green veggie such as green beans or peas plus a mixed salad or fruit salad and a buttered roll. Ready in about 30 to 45 minutes and hardly any work at all. If I want something really different out comes the waffle maker and a package of sausages and all the stuff that you put on the waffle and you are set. Again, ready in 30 minutes or so and so very easy. (No, my alias is not Rachael Ray. LOL)

Ann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5827271

Tonight I think we're having spaghetti (not very creative, I know.. LOL) Tomorrow we're going to have a pork chop sweet potato casserole.
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 24, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5827483

Sweet Potatoe Casserole.. Do Tell!! LOL
I have sweet potatoes...
I can only sucker DH into Breakfast for supper about once a yr.. LOL Always happy when it happens tho!
Thanks Ya'll!!!
Kylie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5827527

Pork chops and sweet potatoes were both on sale at our H-E-B, so I found this recipe: http://southernfood.about.com/od/porkchops/r/bl40311e.htm I'll let you know if it's any good after tomorrow. :-)
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 24, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5827559

Sounds good!! I have that stuff..Please let me know how it was...
Thanks!!!
Kylie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5834930

The sweet potato casserole turned out well. :-) We had it tonight with green beans.
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

December 3, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5854183

Have you had squash casserole??
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5854196

I haven't, but it sounds yummy. Do you have a recipe? :-)
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

December 3, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5854394

I don't... I ate it at Cracker Barrel and it was sooo good...So is their Hashbrown casserole..I tried to google it but didn't really find much.. :O(
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5854544

Go over to the recipe forum and start a thread asking for recipes... I'll bet someone has something very close! :-)
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 3, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5855642

DW made her famous cabbage rolls last night - awesome.

I had to work late so she left them in the oven, but turned it off - finally got to eat about 9:30 -
I think the extra S-L-O-W cooking really put them over the top.

Asking for the recipe is an exersize in frustration, tho - a bit of this, a dab or that, etc. Only constant is the frozen brussles sprout leaves - actually better than cabbage.
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

December 3, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5855720

Brussle leaves.. LOL
Now I NEED to know.. We eat Brussel Spouts at least once a week... I Love them.. Do Tell!!!
Kylie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5855937

Brussel Sprouts are one of the very few veggies I don't like, so Linda's magic recipe is safe from me! :-)

Tonight we're having Misty Meadows' turkey pot pie. I was going to post a link to the recipe, but I can't find the thread and the search engine isn't working. Rats.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 4, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5856251

Lamb chops with onion, salt and pepper, sizzled and then homemade spaghetti sauce thrown on til they cook through. Boil some noodles and toss 'em in the sauce. Sometimes I add capers to it. Always add parmesan.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 4, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5857545

When we grow brussles sprouts, we do not harvest the whole plant, but begin removing the lower sprouts while letting the upper ones mature. At the same time, we carefully cut off the lower leaves . DL blanches and shrink-wraps - 10-12 per package - then freezes them.

Too many projects this year to plant them this fall like I wanted to.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5860241

Hmmm...my DH adores heirloom tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, and he's getting it for his salad every night this week to use the last of them up. My MIL and I have green salads instead.

Monday was Portugese chicken stew:
Pkg 6 chicken thighs, defatted and cut in half. Browned in garlic oil, taken out. Browned 4 halved Niman Ranch chorizo sausages - divinely spicy! - took those out. Threw in 8 roasted mashed garlic cloves, can of no-salt diced tomatoes, at least 1 Tblsp of mixed saffron/turmeric blend, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 can rinsed garbanzo beans - brought to a boil, cooked for 15 minutes, then added meats back in. Cooked for 10 min., cooled and removed all fat. Heated back up (like chile, better the next day actually) and thickened with cornstarch.

Tuesday was the green chile pork shoulder, braised till tender over the previous weekend, then the gravy was de-fatted, pork diced, thickened with cornstarch and served over long-grain brown rice.

Wednesday was Linguine with Pesto cream sauce - I make pesto in batches when the fresh basil is in the markets, then freeze it for use all year long. MIL's portion was with mild Italian sausage, ours was with super-spicy Italian sausage. Yummy!

Tonight was ground bison - my DH prefers it to ground beef - made the Chinese "ma po" style: Very spicy with garlic, oyster sauce, Szechwan pepper, and Chinese garlic-chile sauce from a commercial brand. Only had soft tofu so it sort of dissolved into the sauce. Drizzled with toasted sesame oil, served over brown rice again.

Every Friday we go out to eat, which is my vacation from cooking. Saturday will be marinated lamb loin chops, sauteed to medium-rare with rosemary butter. Sunday is fish day, I pick it up from my vendor at the farmers market, so it will either be oysters or salmon, depending on what he's got for me.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #5860299

Mmmm. Rosemary butter sounds like next weeks lamb chops 'r getting some of that...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #5974145

Tonight we're having pork picatta and broiled butternut squash and something else. some canned zipper cream peas probably.

Some things I've fixed in the past week or so
taco soup
beef stew
pinto beans, cornbread, fried potatoes
chicken ala king served over home made biscuits
beef tips and mushroom gravy served over pasta
I cooked a couple of chuck roasts and sliced them real thin , made a gravy and fixed roast beef po boys

Tomorrow night i'm fixing turkey cutlets with sage gravy

I haven't thought past the turkey cutlets, but need to get busy.

will probably do cheeseburgers one night
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #5974529

Last night we had moo shu pork. Today we're having leftovers. Tomorrow we'll either have red beans 'n rice or spaghetti.
prough
Arenzville, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #5976103

Marylyn------Do you make your own moo shu pork?

If so can you share your reciepe?

Elaine
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #5976192

I bought an Asian cookbook with a gift card from Christmas last week. The Moo Shu Pork recipe was in there. I don't know how authentic it was, but it came out tasting very well!

Here's the recipe:
Moo Shu Pork, from the Famous Brand Name: Asian cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Brand-Asian-Publications-International/dp/141272287X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1231308035&sr=8-1)
(The comments in parenthesis are mine, not the cookbook's.)

1 cup Pineapple Juice
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp sesame seed oil
2 tsp cornstarch
8 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into thin strips
1 1/2 cups Oriental-style mixed vegetables (or whatever veggies you like in your stir fry)
1/4 cup hoisin sauce (plum sauce would work, too)
8 (8-inch) tortillas (crepes would be more authentic)
2 green onions, cut into thin strips

*Stir juice, soy sauce, sesame seed oil and cornstarch in a shallow, nonmetallic dish until blended; remove 1/2 cup mixture for sauce.

*Add pork to remaining juice mixture in shallow dish. Cover and marinate 15 minutes in refrigerator. Drain pork; discard marinade.

*Cook and stir pork in large, nonstick skillet (I used my regular skillet with a bit of olive oil) over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until pork is lightly browned. Add veggies; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until veggies are tender-crisp. Stir in reserved 1/2 cup juice mixture; cook 1 minute or until sauce thickens.

*Spread hoisin sauce onto center of each tortilla, if desired; top with moo shu pork. Sprinkle with green onions. Fold opposite sides of tortilla over filling; fold remaining sides of tortilla over filling. (The photo shows a neat, elegant roll that looks very much like an egg roll. We just ate ours like soft tacos. ^_^ ) Garnish with slivered green onions, kumquats and fresh herbs, if desired.

It was very good... also very sweet between the pineapple juice and the hoisin sauce. It was very easy to make, too. I'm sure we'll be having it again. :-)
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 7, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #5978847

moo shu pork is one of my favorites to order out-and the plum sauce is my favorite ingredient!
prough
Arenzville, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #5978924

Thank you!! Moo shu is my very fav. I hope to make it soon.

Tonight is potato soup.
Thanks again, Elaine
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6020808

kylie, you wanted cracker barrel recipes: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp?sessionid=&login=yeshttp://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp?sessionid=&login=yes

last night we did a club salad and boy was that delish! use any lettuce mix that has some goodies like carrots and radishes, add some crumbled fresh cooked bacon (no bacon bits! lol). tomatoes, large shredded cheddar cheese, slices of cucumber and on top add sliced pieces of chicken breast you've seasoned or marinated. it was so good!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6020811

I couldn't resist a search myself! http://www.google.com/search?q=cracker+barrel+recipes&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7TSHB

Nothing like that good home style food like they make there. :)
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 19, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6024622

I've been following this thread for quite a while, and I'm certainly inspired! Sounds like lots of good ideas.

Tonight I'm going to make spring greens salad & roast chicken with my own jerk-style marinade (in the body cavity and under the breast skin). I put just a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the roasting pan so the drippings won't burn, and at the end I save them off & store them. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll stir-fry some vegetables, add any leftover chicken, boned out (sometimes I roast two chickens just to be sure there's enough left) and the previous day's drippings, skimmed and thickened with a little cornstarch. I serve that with basmati rice.
Jeanne143
Sacramento, CA

January 19, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6025420

Loaded the crock pot this morning - roast, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions, celery and some spices. Turned it on low...it will be ready when I'm home from work. Also loaded up the bread machine and turned it on so I will have fresh bread tonight with dinner.
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 19, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6025909

making a second meal out of restaurant left overs--had 2 chicken tenders and a lot of mashed potatoes left (sometimes the portions are just so much!) so for my husband and myself i am serving one tender each, mashed potatoes and i made coleslaw-(tried it a new way--cabbage, honey and lemon juice along with some toasted caraway, poppy and sesame seeds) and have blueberries and banana for fruit side dish--love it when you can make another meal or two out of the restaurants portions!
RuTemple
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6302309

Tonight, with the tomato starts on the side table, we had pasta with the last jar of our 2006 home-canned tomato sauce. Promise of spring with the nodding assurance of years' past harvest! Yum...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America