Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: Roast pumpkin is delicious

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 24, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5827573

In Australia & New Zealand the traditional roast dinner normally includes roast pumpkin.
It came as a huge surprise to me to learn that in Europe it mostly used as cattle fodder and in the States for pie filler.
My childhood favourite was our Sunday roast - either a chicken or leg of lamb along with roast potato, kumara (a Kiwi sweet potato) pumpkin, carrot & parsnip.
these days I cook my pumpkin in an oven bag with a generous dollop of sweet Thai chilli sauce.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5828258

Hi Dalfyre,

Thank you for your comments. It is always interesting to hear how foods are prepared in other areas. Do you make your own sweet Thai chili sauce?

~Diana
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 25, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5830361

LOL - I am not that good a cook...
the supermarket has a good range of Asian foods & sauces which makes it very easy to try new things :)
I have been told that the pumpkin varieties we use for cooking are different to those available in the States...
particularly good are buttercup, Queensland Blue & butternut (although that might not be a proper pumpkin it is gourd shaped)
cheers from Down Under
Dalfyre

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Nicely Done! darius 6 Nov 24, 2010 12:25 PM
I love pumpkin! 3boysmother 6 Dec 3, 2010 9:01 AM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America