Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gingers: How to prune/root gingers (or not)?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 6, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5828097

Dave's got the search function disabled right now, and I wasn't able to find anything on this topic. I have several questions!

I have several potted gingers that got rather tall this year (some bloomed, and some didn't). I would have liked to pinch them back, but I didn't know if that was OK or not. I've moved them to a spot where they get more morning sun, in hopes that they won't fall over next year. But I'd still like to nip them back. Seems like I tried it before, and the whole branch died back to the ground. So I didn't prune them at all this year. They'll go dormant in my climate, but when they start sprouting again next year, I want to take better care of them. Can I pinch the tips like I do my other plants?

I also have a favorite gorgeous potted variegated ginger (don't know the variety; here's a photo of it a year and a half ago). It's never bloomed, but I don't care---I bought it for the spectacular foliage. It was stuck in too much shade while I was having some work done, and it's become very leggy. Can I prune back some branches at a leaf joint and expect them to resprout, or do I need to cut them back all the way to the ground? Can someone please ID the variety? Oh, and one more thing...(Columbo fan, here)...is it possible to root cuttings from it?

Thanks in advance, Ginger Folk!

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
10:24 AM

Post #5837564

You don't mention what type of gingers you have that you want to trim back, but I am going to assume that they are some type of hedychiums? They cannot be rooted from cuttings (costus can be though), and you are right in that if you cut a stem, it will die back to the ground (not branch out). they really need to go in the ground-they are hardy where you live and after a year in the ground, they will start to bloom each year for you, and the clump will grow larger each yr as well. They can take alot of sun=maybe just a few hrs of shade each day.
The variegated ginger that you have is a shell ginger http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55244/ that also will do better in the ground, and like the hedychiums, it has to be cut back to the ground and will not root from cuttings. However, the easiest way to propagate all these types of gingers is to divide the base (use a knife).

Nice pots !!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5838534

Thank you, Tigerlily; I appreciate the advice & info! The pots the gingers (yes, they're hedychiumns) are in are huge (2 ft across & almost 3 ft tall). Not big enough to make them happy? My zone is deceptive----we routinely get temps down to 18 in my microclimate, and I didn't think they would make it in the ground. Maybe if I rock-mulch them? I've been able to stretch the zone occasionally using that technique...?
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5838707

they make it fine in my zone, which is 7b/8a. I have about 10 different ones in the ground-including the var. ginger. Just mulch heavy over them for the winter, after you cut them back. I would just use shredded hardwood mulch, about 3-4" high.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5838891

Okey-dokey---I'll be on the lookout for sunny spots where I can plant them. I have a narrow, east-facing narrow bed between the house and the concrete driveway that might be a good spot, and where I think the soil stays a little warmer.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5878858

IME, gingers suffer more from excessive heat than from excessive cold. I have mine planted inground, with some degree of shade. The var. alpinia zerumbet that you show in your pic gets very crispy in a full sun location, in my part of the world. Also, I propagate by dividing the rhizomes. And as to thinning them, I do it if the planting gets too big, but never at this time of year. Always in early spring.

I have discovered that the alpinia leaves are wonderful for flower arrangements, so I won't be thinning my plantings as often because I want to have a supply of this wonderfully colored foliage.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5879342

Thanks for further enlightening me! I have lots to learn in the "ginger" department...I went out to the compost bin after I posted my original question and pulled some of the alpinia leaves out & stuck them in a vase with water. Even though I now know they won't root, they've lasted all this time and are still pretty! Amazing! I, too, will be including them in arrangements.

I'm really concerned about the heat, too. Routinely we get 107-degree days in the summer, and occasionally up to 110 or even a little higher. We have a shade sail over the courtyard where their pots are, so the sun is filtered. But I haven't yet found a spot like that in the yard. I may have one corner that gets morning sun and plenty of light in the afternoon. The cannas I have there have done well, and I think it might work for the hedychiums. The alpinia's been so happy in its pot that I hate to even THINK about putting it in the ground...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America