Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: High moisture content pumpkin

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 3, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lzywmn
Pensacola, FL

November 25, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #5828790

Your quote, "Occasionally a particular pumpkin or squash may have a high moisture content." is correct! The pumpkin I bought this year was one of those. I used to peel them and cook the pulp in a large pan on top of the stove with just a smidgen of water in the bottom of the pan. This year I decided to bake it instead, but I hadn't read your article at the time, and didn't turn the halves upside down. That might have been a good thing since this pumpkin was FULL of moisture! I'm afraid I might have had quite a mess in my oven. . . the cookie sheets wouldn't have been able to hold all the liquid that cooked out of it.

Now, my question is: When they are upside down, do the cut edges brown against the cookie sheet and thus seal in the moisture? Or does some of the liquid escape?

I like your idea of leaving the seeds in to bake at the same time and definitely prefer baking the pumpkin rather than going through all the work of peeling it! I'll never peel another one.

Thanks for a great article

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5829075

Hi Lzywmn,

I think in the case of the pumpkin you had, if it was turned upside down, all that excess water would have cooked out...and YES, may have made a big mess!

I agree with you, that it was a good thing you cooked it face up! Hmmm...maybe as a safety precaution, everyone should roast theirs cut side up. You never know what your going to be working with. The squash will still caramelize on the surface when cooked face up, I've done it both ways.

I'm just curious, do you know what type of pumpkin it was? This year I loved the way the Sunshine hybrid winter squash cooked up. It was rich and thick and was actually on the dryer side, believe it or not, I added a splash of water to it when I was pureeing it.

Nice to hear from you,
Have a Happy Thanksgiving :)
~Diana
lzywmn
Pensacola, FL

November 25, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5829323

I don't have a clue what variety of pumpkin it was. A local church had a pre-Halloween pumpkin sale with a wide variety of pumpkins. They had lots that had been damaged in shipping and I chose one of those since I was just going to be cooking it and not carving it. This is the second or third time I've gotten a pumpkin with a high water content but the first time I ever tried baking a pumpkin. I poured the water into a container and ended up mixing most of it back into the mashed up pumpkin. The pie turned out excellent and I divided the rest of the pulp into 2 cup and 1 1/2 cup containers and froze it to be used in pies and pumpkin bread later. (I always keep a stash of pumpkin in the freezer so I can make pies or bread throughout the year.)

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5829771

Glad to hear you ended up with a delicious pie! I keep some puree frozen too, I just wish I made more. Maybe I will next season, if we have any luck growing some pumpkin or squash. In fact, I just took some puree out of the freezer for a pie this morning - I can smell it baking in the oven now :)

Have a nice holiday.

Thanks again for writing in,
~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Nicely Done! darius 6 Nov 24, 2010 12:25 PM
I love pumpkin! 3boysmother 6 Dec 3, 2010 9:01 AM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America