Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!: Low in Saturated Fat, Crust RECIPE

Communities > Forums > Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie!Replies: 7, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5832796

Hi, I've had a request for a low fat pie crust recipe. There are many options in making a reduced fat pie crust. This is a recipe for one of my favorites. I have found that baking a short dough (cookie-like) crust called: Pasta frolla in Italian, or Pate sucree in French, resists becoming soggy and holds up the best to a moist custard filling, like that in pumpkin pie. Also, there are low fat pre-made pie shell available, if you prefer that. Just be sure to read the labels :)

I hope you enjoy this recipe,
Happy Thanksgiving!
~Diana Wind

Diana's Low in Saturated Fat, Pasta frolla dough for pastry crust

1 3/4 cup (218.75g) unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup (65g) sugar
1/2 teaspoon (.9g) ground ginger (if using this recipe for pumpkin pie)
1/4 teaspoon (2g) salt

3 T (42.6g) unsalted butter
3 T (45.65mL) canola oil

1 whole egg
1 egg white
splash of cold water, just enough to form a smooth dough

You can try using the creaming method, which is classically used for this type of crust. Keep in mind, this is much less fat and may not incorporate as you're used to. I usually mix everything by hand when I'm only making one pie shell, this is how I do it:

Combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk. Cut the butter into it. I usually cut the butter into small pieces, then sheet it (press it) between my fingers, working quickly.
My hands are always cold; I never have a problem with melting the butter by handling it. If you are lucky and have warm hands, you may be better off using a hand held pastry blender http://www.target.com/Cuisipro-Pastry-Blender/dp/B0014ZP06E/sr=1-1/qid=1227711342/ref=sr_1_1/185-9759587-5236552?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Apastry%20blender&page=1

Then I make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs and the oil. Use a fork, whisk the eggs and oil together, while slowly incorporating the flour. By hand, gently knead the mixture until a smooth dough forms, adding a sprinkle of cold water as necessary. Try not to add too much water or overwork the dough - gluten will develop, resulting in a less tender crust.

Form the dough into a ball and wrap in clear wrap. Refrigerate to rest the dough for an hour. Then it is ready to roll out and use in your favorite custard pie recipe :)

Pumpkin Pie serving suggestion
Pumpkin Pie from fresh pumpkin
topped with a rosette of Eggnog Whipped Cream & Candied Australian Ginger

This message was edited Nov 26, 2008 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5832808

Here is the nutrition analysis for a piece pumpkin pie in the pasta frolla crust. I hope you can read it. If not, please let me know and I'll gladly email you the information.

Happy Thanksgiving!
~DW

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5832849

Ooops sorry, I didn't have the photo of the label in the right format :)

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

November 26, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5833071

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Diana! Thanks for the recipe!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

November 27, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5834233

Question: what about the oil?

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5834274

Hi KaperC, did I forget to include what to do with the oil in the directions? I'll go edit it...sorry about that... you can simply add the oil directly in with the eggs and take it from there.

Thanks for pointing that out :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
~Diana
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

November 27, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5834348

Whew, that's what I did!

Have a great holiday! BTW, I came across your blog while googling pasta frolla - nice job!

Kathleen
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8228804

It is the fast releasing carbs, esp glutin that my family gets sick on.

I have tried to use whole wheat only for crust. It is slower in releasing the carbs, it is okay, but dadburn it I was such a good crust maker.

But for this Thanksgiving, I made half whole wheat and half regular white wheat- okay so I used a whole cup of oil. 1/2 coconut oil (not unhealthy at all) and 1/2 olive oil.

One egg, a tablespoon of vinegar and some salt, water if you must but should not be nessacary if you warm up the coconut oil in the microwave. Let it sit for a while and cool before rolling out.

I have experimented a great deal on on this pie crust; That includes the expensive crushed almond, coconut fiber, garbonzo beans crushed, and on and on and on.

I just want to know a simple/cheap low to zero carb recipe for a pie crust that is close to the regular pie crust that I once was so good at????

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fresh Pumpkin, Perfect for Pie! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Dutchlady1 8 Nov 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Nicely Done! darius 6 Nov 24, 2010 12:25 PM
I love pumpkin! 3boysmother 6 Dec 3, 2010 9:01 AM
Wonderful article!! tombaak 2 Nov 21, 2008 8:57 PM
A different pie CindyJ22 1 Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America