Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Passiflora as a Houseplant?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 11, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5833405

I received a small, young passiflora plant this past summer that I've kept inside because I'd just moved and didn't know where I could plant it. Its grown, but not much, but I've figured out how it likes to be treated so its doing better now. It has not bloomed though so I guess this is also realted to the care issue. Or perhaps its not getting enough sun - it gets dappled sun about a foot back from a south-facing window. It has a whole bunch of hoyas to compete with for the sun. Should I try to give it its own window maybe? It would be a north-facing window though and though bright, wouldn't get very much sun. I'm not sure what type of passiflora it is, but it has wide, wing-like leaves with the stem in the centre of the leaf if that helps.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Christine
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #5833646

I have grown P. caerulea as a houseplant, as well as P. edulis - both were in south windows and grew to fill the windows and more, and practically bloomed all the time - I would say you should be successful - try it and see what happens.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5833709

Thank you so much Kay. That sounds quite promising, so I'll give it a whirl and see how well it grows. I'll move it to its own window before the weekend anyway, so as to make room for the Xmas tree.

C.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #6334587

Update on this. I was able to give this plant its own narrow, but tall west-facing window and I transplanted it into a slightly larger pot. And look at the flowers that I've been rewarded with! Can anyone identify this? I think I was told that it was P. caerulea but I can't clearly remember. The flowers are about the size of a quarter. Thanks!

Christine

Thumbnail by ceedub
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6340427

P.coriacea. :-)
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6340661

Thanks so much for the ID gordo!
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6340663

You're very welcome.

If you would like to grow a real sweetie of a passie indoors, try P. muracuja.
Very small leaves and plant. Tint but unusual and beautiful flowers.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 1:17 PM
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6340673

Here's a pic of P. muracuja.

Thumbnail by gordo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6340734

You know, gordo, hoya addicts like myself naturally gravitate to orchid addiction too, but I have mightily resisted it myself (although I do have one orchid). However, I am "feeling the lure" of these little passion flowers very strongly. Although this is my only one, it delights me that I know its name now, and I already have a little stake ready to put in its pot with its name on it when I get home. And now, you, gordo, are feeding my weak nature with pictures of even prettier little flowers ... thank you so much! I'll have to find that one now too ... And of course I'll have to remember to check this forum daily for more and more... lol

Thanks again.

Christine
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6341097

Enjoy!
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

April 6, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6372627

Christine...do you find it a spider mite magnet? I've got passie seeds coming and every time I try a flowering vine indoors I get inundated with them.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6372902

Not so far LeeAnn. I keep watching it though, because I've been told these are spider mite magnets. Someone told me to use Saffers soap if it does develop them. I'm thinking the neem oil mixture would work just fine as I've gotten rid of spider mites on hoyas with that.

Christine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America