Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Finally Taking a Break from Thanksgiving Cooking

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 10, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5834362

I'm finally taking a break from my Thanksgiving cooking. Let's see: The appetizers are ready and the soup's made. The turkey is sitting in the brine, the ham's ready to be cooked. The rice & cornbread are made for the dressing, the giblets & seasoning are cooked & chopped for the dressing. The sweet potatoe & broccoli casserole are ready for the oven. The carrot salad's made. The garlic butter is ready for the bread. All I have left to do tonight is finish cleaning the kitchen, empty the dishwasher and guest-clean the bathrooms after we shower. Everything is ready for tomorrow. All I have to do tomorrow is assemble the dressing and pop everything into the oven. DH is working until 2 am, so he say he'll pass a mop on the kitchen floor when he gets home. My sister's bringing the dessert, so that's one less task. I'm taking a break to finally read my emails & DG and maybe watch 1 hour of TV while I clean the kitchen during the commercials. This is what my poor kitchen looks like right now. I think it looks worse than it really is. It's just a lot of stuff to put away and some big pots to wash. But the amaryllis on the counter does make me smile!

This is how I like to prepare for a big meal at my home: do as much work the days before so that day I can enjoy my company & not be stressed. I'll go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight and I don't even have to get up early.

How's everyone else's plans coming together?
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grownut
Clarkson, KY

November 27, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5834458

Boy I am not there yet. Sounds wonderful!! I've just got the pies and the various cranberry dishes done. Broccoli and green bean casseroles left to put together tonight. Dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and mashed carrots get done tomorrow after Mr. Bird is dressed and in. What sort of brine process are you using for your bird? I usually just rub mine with sea salt, paprika, and sage -inside and out- before it gets stuffed and cooked...
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5834499

I'm using the one from this post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/927813/#new. I found it a few days ago under the San Francisco Chronicle. I've done brined pork roasts before but never a turkey. Well, if it doesn't come out good, there's always the ham!

Southerners, at least my extended family in Louisiana, NEVER stuff their turkey. We always have "dressing" on the side instead of "stuffing"
Jo-Ann
grownut
Clarkson, KY

November 27, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5834521

We always did both -called it dressing though- and I was raised 'Virginian' and it was always supposed to be oyster dressing which I dislike...I'm checking out that brine idea! Happy T-day!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5834575

good golly that's alotta work!

Turkey breast is bought, so are the instant potatoes, can of corn, frozen broccoli and leftover stuffing thawed!! Bakery pies bought!

(hee hee)

That's actually just dinner tomorrow with DH. Big Thanksgiving is at Mom's on Saturday!

grownut
Clarkson, KY

November 27, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5834581

I'm the only one who likes cooking around here -lol.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5834597

I LOVE to cook, just no time to do it tomorrow for just the two of us. We stopped stuffing the turkey many years ago, but I remember the family did it when I was a kid. Probably the time we stopped having gatherings of 40 people!

I think that I might do the breast on the Weber rotisserie.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5834949

We're not having the big meal until Friday. Fajitas on Thursday :). Brining our turkeys..turns out very moist and flavorful, not at all salty. I stuff the cavity with onion, tons of fresh sage and rosemary. Dressing is ready to be baked (frozen right now), mashed potatoes will be done on Friday. I'm baking an apple pie tomorrow, sis is bring pumpkin pies. My mom is baking bread rolls, brother is making caramel apple salad. Everything is golden, so far. :)

Michelle in Michigan
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #5834980

Carmel Apple Salad? Will he share recipe? Please!
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5834984

Well, since *I* gave it to him and I'm pretty sure it's my 13 year old niece that makes it... I'll dig it up. Some people call it snickers salad.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #5834990

Caramel Apple Salad

1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 c. milk
1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
3 regular size Snicker bars
3 Granny Smith apples

Mix pudding with milk; beat well. Fold in Cool Whip. Cut up the Snicker bars into small pieces. Add cut up apples with or without skin; add.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America